Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Greek Isles

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before I searched & came up empty. On the Med Cruises, do you just stop in the Greek Isles or do you cruise them? Thanks for your help
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
auntlynne
Aunt Lynne

There are several Greek islands that are now ports of call, not just cruising by.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr.../europe/ports/

Click on any individual port and it will tell you about shore excursions, location of port in relation to major cities....
DISNEY FANTASY | March 12 ~ W Maiden Voyage
ISLAND PRINCESS | June 12 ~ AK SBound
GOLDEN PRINCESS | Sep 12 ~ 1N Repo
STAR PRINCESS | Sep 12 ~ 2N Vancouver - San Francisco
DIAMOND PRINCESS | July 13 AK NBound
ALLURE OF THE SEAS | Mar 13 ~ W (My 100th Day at Sea while on the World's Largest Cruise Ship)
auntlynne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Thank you. I'm hoping to get to cruise the isles. It's been my DWs dream. She wants to view them from the water.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:31 AM   #4
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

You stop in Greek Ports, our cruise stops in Athens on the mainland and Mykanos an island, others go to Rhodes and Crete, if you go yo Rhodes do travel down to Lindos I think the most beautifull place in Europe.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3182194
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Trip report/Blog :- with photos and Navigators. Online.
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.

Last edited by DISNEY FANTASY; 02-16-2014 at 10:25 AM.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Maddie Lover
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY FANTASY View Post
You stop in Greek Ports, our cruise stops in Athens agree em the mainland and Mykanos an island, others go to Rhodes and Crete, if you go yo Rhodes do travel down to Lindos I think the most beautifull place in Europe.
Did you do an excursion in Rhodes? I will be there in June and am looking for ideas about what to do. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Maddie Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
DISNEY FANTASY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie Lover View Post
Did you do an excursion in Rhodes? I will be there in June and am looking for ideas about what to do. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I have had holidays on Rhodes about six times it's my favourite place I normally stay in Lindos and drive a hire car around the whole island so been everywhere.

The West coast has the beaches, Falaraki the closest to Rhodes then down to Lindos which has a fantastic circled and nearly enclosed bay, East side beaches are pebbles and windy and under the airport flight path.

The ship will dock in the port of the old town of Rhodes, it's a walled city with history and a great market for shopping, lots of restaurants so if people do not want to travel it's a great day out, the modern city is around it

You can get to Lindos by Small boat craft, ( long and rough) or taxi, or bus, or hire car. I would say Taxi as there fast and go into the town square of Lindos, Lindos overall bans traffic bar donkeys and small motorbikes through its town bar the town sq. Tour coaches will park at the top of a hill and you walk down a very busy road with Little payments and bends.

Public buses park in the town sq, but run about once an hour and are often full.

Lindos has a quaint old town of whitewall small villas and narrow walkways with old fashioned shops, selling everything including good value clothes and leather, the rooftop restaurants have brilliant views and great food.

The town has Unesco heritage status.

Down below the town is an impressive beach, semi circular around a bay that's a natural harbour and shallow warm water to swim in which is very clear bar where the Rhodes boats come in to a pier on the right.

Above the town is a stunning Acropolis, a lot of it the walls and sides still there some of it on top is still there and it's only second to the Acropolis of Athens. Views there if the town the main bay and St Paul's bay are to die for, stunning blue water and little boats and coves.

To get to the acropolis you can walk, do this early am as it will be hot, or get donkeys from the town sq to take you, many do it's cheap and fun, you could do donkey one way and walk the easy route back. Many ladies will be selling handcrafts on the way down, leather is local some clothing imported.

Lindos is an hour drive down from Rhodes town by a generally good road, dual carriageway bar the big hills and fast and smooth with good views.

There are other places to see but few are worth it.

Do not go to Symi by boat it's a long hot trip and Rhodes is far better.

Do not go to a Rhodes town beach there not nice.

Valley of the butterflies is good but it's more of a nature walk as most butterflies have gone due to too many tourists.

Go to Lindos the Acropolis, the beach, shopping in town, maybe a small bots rise to St Paul's bay and the cliffs where the film Guns of Naverone was filmed.

If you ever think about what a traditional and historic Greek island town is, you will think of Lindos
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY FANTASY View Post
You stop in Greek Ports, our cruise stops in Athens agree em the mainland and Mykanos an island, others go to Rhodes and Crete, if you go yo Rhodes do travel down to Lindos I think the most beautifull place in Europe.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Am I understanding that you do not actually cruise the Isles?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
DISNEY FANTASY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptwolfman View Post
Am I understanding that you do not actually cruise the Isles?
Well like my 12 night cruise from Athens to Turkey and then back via Mykonos to Malta you are sailing past a lot of the Greek Islands

image by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr

The Magic will dock in a turkey near the Greek island of Samos, on the way back Mykonos is in the Cyclades.

Last edited by DISNEY FANTASY; 02-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: