Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #31
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

OMG GET THE CHEESE FRIES!!! I'm obsessed with them, they are soooooooooooooooo good!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

princess_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #32
Lu Ann
Afternoon Tea Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroft View Post
Lu Ann I was there the exact same days as you!! I was in the 60's section.
We were in the 60's, too. Building 4, the one with the Play Dough icon, Room 4257. It was a great room, away from the noise of the pool, top floor, and we had a view of the lake.

Husband's first trip to WDW was to the Preview Center, prior to the park opening in 1971
We are both 5th-Generation Native Floridians!

Engaged at WDW 1984
Honeymooned at WDW 1985

Last WDW Trip: September 30, 2012
Next WDW Trip: December 9-14, 2012
Lu Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #33
Lu Ann
Afternoon Tea Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonSdiz View Post
Has anyone stayed at both Pop Century and Port Orleans Riverside in the last couple years? If so, how do the food courts compare?
We were at Pop Century last month, and at Riverside probably 2-3 years ago. I like the food at Pop much better. There is more variety and more room.

I have a hard time remembering what they served at Riverside, which means it apparently wasn't memorable. Looking it up online, they have hamburgers, pizza, make your own pasta, muffaletta sandwiches, fish or chicken baskets, turkey sandwich, chicken neggets, sliced beef or turkey, and make your own salad. We don't usually eat more than fruit for breakfast, so that is just lunch/dinner. It seemed to be more of a fast-food type place, rather than a meal. I feel Pop has more options of something that is more of a regular meal if you want that, with veggies (always something I'm looking for) and less fried options than what is at Riverside. But there is enough at Riverside that I can eat there once or twice if we stay there. There are just more things I like at Pop.

We will go out of our way to eat at Pop Century. Riverside, we just eat at if we are staying there.

Husband's first trip to WDW was to the Preview Center, prior to the park opening in 1971

Engaged at WDW 1984
Honeymooned at WDW 1985

Old 11-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #34
PeytonSdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu Ann View Post
We were in the 60's, too. Building 4, the one with the Play Dough icon, Room 4257. It was a great room, away from the noise of the pool, top floor, and we had a view of the lake.
Did you put in a request early for top floor, lake view? We're really hoping to get a quieter room. I'm wondering if I should call and add a few room requests to my reservation. It's just me and my husband. We don't mind if we're on the top floor or far away from the main building. I'm a light sleeper and need at least some quietness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu Ann View Post
We were at Pop Century last month, and at Riverside probably 2-3 years ago. I like the food at Pop much better. There is more variety and more room.

I have a hard time remembering what they served at Riverside, which means it apparently wasn't memorable. Looking it up online, they have hamburgers, pizza, make your own pasta, muffaletta sandwiches, fish or chicken baskets, turkey sandwich, chicken neggets, sliced beef or turkey, and make your own salad. We don't usually eat more than fruit for breakfast, so that is just lunch/dinner. It seemed to be more of a fast-food type place, rather than a meal. I feel Pop has more options of something that is more of a regular meal if you want that, with veggies (always something I'm looking for) and less fried options than what is at Riverside. But there is enough at Riverside that I can eat there once or twice if we stay there. There are just more things I like at Pop.

We will go out of our way to eat at Pop Century. Riverside, we just eat at if we are staying there.
When we were at POR, I got the breaskfast platter most mornings. Lunch was always in the parks. We ate quite a few dinners at the food court. I remember getting the baked ziti a couple times. Also the build your own salad once. And build your own pasta once. My husband got basic things like pizza or burgers, I think.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #35
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone stayed at both Pop Century and Port Orleans Riverside in the last couple years? If so, how do the food courts compare?
I stayed at POR in Aug 2008. Will be at pop in 3.5 weeks. Can't wait to compare.

I liked POR food court. I really liked the create your own pasta.

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Nancy for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #36
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Pop Century is my favorite food court on property. My favorites are:

Chicken parmesan
Shrimp Lo Mein
Tye Dye cheesecake

My son and husband rave about the philly cheesesteak wrap.

I think Pop and POR both have great food courts, but I like Pop's a tad better.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #37
PeytonSdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy for Disney View Post
I stayed at POR in Aug 2008. Will be at pop in 3.5 weeks. Can't wait to compare.

I liked POR food court. I really liked the create your own pasta.
Do you have a pre-trip report? Will you be doing a report afterwards? I'd love to hear about it. I'd also like to hear your comparisons of the two resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan View Post
Pop Century is my favorite food court on property. My favorites are:

Chicken parmesan
Shrimp Lo Mein
Tye Dye cheesecake

My son and husband rave about the philly cheesesteak wrap.

I think Pop and POR both have great food courts, but I like Pop's a tad better.
Sounds like I should like pop's food court....so that's good.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #38
Christine9125
DIS Veteran

We will be there shortly after your for our second trip to POP. One of the reasons we are staying there is the Food Court. When we were going over where we would eat, we found the food we wanted was at POP. We love the reuben flatbread, nachos, meatball sub, and chicken parm

1999-ASMo, 2002-ASMo, 2004-WL, 2008-POP, 2011-BC CL, 2013-POP, 2015-AOA
Christine9125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #39
PeytonSdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine9125 View Post
We will be there shortly after your for our second trip to POP. One of the reasons we are staying there is the Food Court. When we were going over where we would eat, we found the food we wanted was at POP. We love the reuben flatbread, nachos, meatball sub, and chicken parm
What dates will you be there?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #40
Lu Ann
Afternoon Tea Hostess

Quote:
Did you put in a request early for top floor, lake view? We're really hoping to get a quieter room. I'm wondering if I should call and add a few room requests to my reservation. It's just me and my husband. We don't mind if we're on the top floor or far away from the main building. I'm a light sleeper and need at least some quietness.
It's just me and my husband, too. When we make reservations, we always ask for a room not near the pool and for a king-size bed. They didn't have a king-size bed available this time, but they had the room away from the pool. We didn't request the lake view or fourth floor, we just got lucky. Definitely call them and put in room requests; you get it if it's available. They told us we could have a king-size bed if we changed rooms after two days, but once we unpack and settle in, we don't want to repack and do it again, so we will stay in the room we get first.

We are light sleepers, too, and the kids squealing and running around the pool at midnight keeps us awake. I know the kids are having a blast, and I don't begrudge them that - I used to be a kid that wanted to "live" in a pool, too, but now I prefer sleep at midnight! One year it didn't work out so well, though. We got a room away from the pool with sort of a forrest view, but it apparently was near some loading zone or something, visited in the middle of the night by delivery trucks in a constant state of reverse. So at 4 am every morning, for about 20 minutes, we'd hear, "beep, beep, beep, beep!" It was torture! We were begging for the screaming pool kids after that trip.

We didn't mind the walk to the food court, either. It's not that far and if we went at dusk, we'd pass by about half a dozen of the cutest wild bunnies! There was even a black cat wandering around there this year (appropriate for the Halloween season). Ususally we'd go get our food at the food court and take it back to our room, so we could have a quiet dinner or snack with just the two of us. We had our honeymoon at Disney World, and even though we have been married for almost 25 years now, we still feel like we're on our honeymoon again every time we go.

Engaged at WDW 1984
Honeymooned at WDW 1985

Old 11-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #41
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I much prefer the food at Pop Century to POR.

My niece and I made a few trips over to POR just so she could see the chef she had last year who got moved from Pop to POR. My niece enjoyed her pizzas at POR, but I didn't care for the pasta station-too much oil and the breadsticks were so dry and had no flavor. I ended up eating pizza the next time we were at POR and one time I ended up waiting until we got back to Pop to eat.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #42
mmmbop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDustandEeyore View Post
This reminds me of when we were there. There was a girl, probably around 7 or 8, and her mother told her she could get anything she wanted for dinner. She ran to grab that popcorn, swipe her card, and press the Popcorn button on the microwave Her father asked, "Did you press the button?" "YEP!" Of course her mother was furious!

As others have said, the food court is very nice. My mother was in the mood for a burger one night, and was VERY satisfied with her burger. I had the chicken alfredo. In fact, I think I may have gotten it twice. My mother really liked the choices for the MNO meals. We also had ice cream for dessert! It can be confusing, because the ice cream station is just past where you pay for the items. If you're on the DDP, just let them know. You'll be able to get your ice cream up to an hour after your meal (so you don't have to worry about a melted sundae )
One morning, I hadn't slept all night and went to the FC at 6am for a bagel. It was very fresh, and when the CM called me by my name I was slightly scared. (Until I realized she read it from my card ) She was also understanding when I ran back, because I forgot to grab a cream cheese.
We were also very pleased with the refillable mug station. It was very well kept, we constantly saw CMs wiping it down, and it was never sticky.
We were very happy with Pop's FC (along with Pop's other offerings. ).
Have a lovely trip!
Old 11-14-2009, 04:18 AM   #43
Hobbes
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Lu Ann;34327757. We had our honeymoon at Disney World, and even though we have been married for almost 25 years now, we still feel like we're on our honeymoon again every time we go. [/QUOTE]

Sorry totally OT but me and DBF have been together for 3 years and I was thinking by now that we should be past the lovey-dovey stage-its so nice to see that from you and know we've a loooong way to go before we need to think about that!
2007 Introducing my DBf to the World-Pop 2010 DBf's birthday at Pop and we got engaged
2011 Our Disneymoon-me and Snorky at POFQ 2013 Our 2nd anniversary ASMu
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: