Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
maroo
DIS Veteran

sorry...

So sorry for even asking this question...

But I have tried searcing under "which deck" "seasickness" "which deck is worse"... whatever...and have not been able to get anything to come up in the searching engine.

I am wondering what the advantages are with the areas of the ship and what the disadvantages are? I am cruising on the Dream, if that makes a difference.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of staying aft? forward? Deck 2? Deck 10?

I am booked in an inside cabin.
maroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
bourgie
Mouseketeer

i think a lot of this is a matter of opinion.... are you prone to seasickness etc? Our room was an outside stateroom w/porthole on deck 2 aft..i LOVED it, LOVED IT< LOVED IT!! Could i feel the ship moving....yes, but it was like being rocked to sleep!!!! That was only my first cruise though..so i have no opinion on anyother place on the ship. My DH and I walked around a lot to the different decks etc.... but that was about it.
2002 Poly
2005 CBR
2009 1st Disney Cruise Magic..

Me DH DD DD D Dog Zeus
bourgie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
So sorry for even asking this question...

But I have tried searcing under "which deck" "seasickness" "which deck is worse"... whatever...and have not been able to get anything to come up in the searching engine.

I am wondering what the advantages are with the areas of the ship and what the disadvantages are? I am cruising on the Dream, if that makes a difference.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of staying aft? forward? Deck 2? Deck 10?

I am booked in an inside cabin.
Seasickness relief is such a personal thing....some people feel being mid-ship is the best, some feel an oceanview cabin is best so they look at the horizon, some feel an inside cabin is best as they can't see the water, some like a verandah to feel fresh air, etc. Low and center is probably a good choice but I would not worry too much about location. I would instead take precautions such as the wrist bands or medication.

We have been lucky as no one in our family gets sea sick so I can't recommend any particular medication but many will relate their experiences.

The only negatives I can see with staying all the aft or all the way forward on the new Dream is travel time from one place to another. I am not real concerned about it but is about the only negative I can see.

We are booked on Deck 2 for the MV and then all the forward on Deck 8 for the cruise after that.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
maroo
DIS Veteran

I cruised RC before...but it has been at least 10 years. So, I have no idea if I will get sick or not. I remember rough seas on the last cruise and I don't remember being sick - maybe just dizzy?

I snagged a cabin on Deck 10 - one of those three that have the virtual porthole and thought Deck 10 would be a great thing (close to the pool, etc)...but now I am having second thoughts. Maybe there will be too much movement up there?

It is in the middle between 2 sets of elevators.

??
Do any of you guys have recommendations regarding seasick medication? I have prescription Zofran, which is a good anti-nausea med, but not sure if it will really work for seasickness?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
TnRobin
My body may be back in Nashville, but my mind is still on vacation.
Bob Villa, build me a bathroom in the attic!

DISboards Moderator

I get seasick very easy. I did the glass bottom boat in Key West while taking medication and still got sick. The inside of small boat are a no no for me. I have to stay up top and outside on small boats.

That said, I take Bonine on the ship and have never had an issue. I have stayed on Deck 8 (currently highest floor with cabins) in the Aft and was not bothered in the least bit. The location does not seem to affect me. I know I feel best when I have a balconey cabin, but I do fine with an inside cabin.

We are booked on Deck 9 in the Aft on the Dream. I personally like the aft area - not alot of hallway traffic

I am not sure if this is based on the type of motion sickness I get. I am a "can't read in a moving vehicle" kind of motion sickness person. I can ride any roller coaster out there and be fine, but put me on a virtual reality ride and thats all she wrote.

TnRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Goofy Mum
A Happy Medium

I'm SO worried I'm going to suffer from seasickness. I'm traveling alone with three young boys and worry Ill have my head in the toilet. I tend to be prone to pukey.
I plan on bringing motion sickness tablets which I'll experiment well before my journey to discovery any side effects. Also getting seabands just in case!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

As far as cabin location and movement, midships and the lowest level would be the best place. As most would agree if you start to feel queasy try main deck 9 and focus on the horizon.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The DCL ships have great stabilizers; one would think the Dream will be the same in that regard. I get very ill on small boats/ships, but have never had a problem on the Magic or Wonder.

That said, the area with the least motion is midship can closer to water level. There is more variation from end to end than from top to bottom. SO, the closer you are to mid ship, the less motion you will experience. From there, sea sickness is a personal issue. Some people find that seeing the horizon helps, other find that it is the disconnect between what their eyes see and what their semicircular canals experience that causes the problem; removing the eye input will help them.

Some people medicate themselves because they fear seasickness (yes, if you are prone to be sick, you are better starting the meds before sailing), but then you'll never know if it was the medication that helped you or if you weren't going to get sick any how.

For a first cruise, I'd go midship and low. If you have no issues, you can be more flexible on future cruises.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
Judy in Texas
1150 miles too far from the Fort

Go to your doctor and ask for a prescription for Transderm Scop patches. I am very prone to motion sickness. I went on a small catamaran out of Seward Alaska to see a glacier and we had 15 foot seas. I was just fine with the patch. A number of people had taken pills (Bonine, Dramamine) and they were miserable. A patch is about the size of a dime and you stick it behind your ear. They last 2-3 days each.
Judy in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
HiddenMickeys
Not all treaure is silver and gold. Some is CHOCOLATE! With EARS! "On a steek!"

In terms of movement, think of it this way. IF you're familiar with the old playground equipent that looked like a giant x? basically two big see-saws all welded together. One person would be on the ground and the other 3 up in the air.

Well think of how that moved. Anything on the outer edges moved FAR more than the center of the x.

Same way with the ship, the extremities (far forward, aft, port, starboard, deck 1 or the top deck) will be more prone to movement than the center of the ship.

My kids had a hard time getting this (not that I am saying you would, just giving an example) so I taped 2 pencils together and made an x, well actually I held it like a big plus sign lol. I tilted the front down, then up, and then left and right, and they could see that the center of all directions moved the least.

So, for the least amt. of potential movement, you need to think in 3d and you would want to shoot for center-center-center, meaning the center of the decks from top to bottom (on the dream I guess that would be deck 7ish? they have 14 or 15 decks right?) and also shoot for midship as far as forward to aft goes. You would even move a smidge less (not much) if you also took into the account being in the center from left to right (meaning inside vs an ocean view) but again that difference would be the least drastic, as the ship is far less wide than it is long and high.

Last edited by HiddenMickeys; 11-24-2009 at 12:19 PM.
HiddenMickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
maroo
DIS Veteran

What about noise? Is there a difference based on where you are. I know there may be a difference if you are right next to a bar or something...but I am thinking more about "ship" noise.

And it sounds like hall traffic could be an issue that would add noise?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
HiddenMickeys

Quote:
What about noise? Is there a difference based on where you are. I know there may be a difference if you are right next to a bar or something...but I am thinking more about "ship" noise.

And it sounds like hall traffic could be an issue that would add noise?

Thats a toughie, as no one has actually been on the dream yet, obviously. So bar noise and engine noise and things like that will have to, unfortunately, be experienced by some folks to get a good report on what is what.

We had some hall noise on our cruise a few weeks ago, but nothing major. People are pretty good about being hush hush in the wee hours, or at least they were on our 3-day lol. We were deck 6 midship on the wonder, so we didnt have any engine noise at all, and although we were literally right around the corner from the elevators, we never heard them moving or the bells going off. I would think the dream, being built when technology has improved a little, would be that much better at handling noise. But again, until people actually get on it, there's no way to know where the potential problem spots may be, other than educated guesses (decks near the engines and thrusters, rooms right above or below clubs, etc.)

The big thing that DID surprise me about the dream is that with the added people, length of the ship, and elevator issues (wait times)of the 2 existing ships I thought for sure they'd go with 4 sets of elevators instead of the usual 3. So I was surprised by that. So on the dream you will have more total people on your deck, with father distances to walk to get to the elevators, and that may or may not cause more hall noise.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenMickeys View Post
In terms of movement, think of it this way. IF you're familiar with the old playground equipment that looked like a giant x? basically two big see-saws all welded together. One person would be on the ground and the other 3 up in the air.

Well think of how that moved. Anything on the outer edges moved FAR more than the center of the x.

Same way with the ship, the extremities (far forward, aft, port, starboard, deck 1 or the top deck) will be more prone to movement than the center of the ship.

My kids had a hard time getting this (not that I am saying you would, just giving an example) so I taped 2 pencils together and made an x, well actually I held it like a big plus sign lol. I tilted the front down, then up, and then left and right, and they could see that the center of all directions moved the least.

So, for the least amt. of potential movement, you need to think in 3d and you would want to shoot for center-center-center, meaning the center of the decks from top to bottom (on the dream I guess that would be deck 7ish? they have 14 or 15 decks right?) and also shoot for midship as far as forward to aft goes. You would even move a smidge less (not much) if you also took into the account being in the center from left to right (meaning inside vs an ocean view) but again that difference would be the least drastic, as the ship is far less wide than it is long and high
The highlighted part is very very well explained, the best i HAVE SEEN.

Middle decks, midship is the very best place to avoid seasickness, this is why the kids clubs are on deck 5 midship. Best place for kids less spills.

Forward is the worst.
Aft next worse but slightly better as the impact of waves has been absorbed.
Decks them selves are all welded together, so one deck cant move more than another but the far out places will move a little more than the Midship middle of the ship. The ships are designed to flex.

As lots of posters mention looking at the horizon widest view is the No 1 thing to cure seasickness, avoiding claustrophobia, ie not seeing the sea, and avoiding vibration are key.

Fresh air, drink light will assist.

Summery of what others have said, good stabilizers, most ship cruises are in good weather so you will not experience seasickness unless you are prone to it, or unlucky, so the majority will report their stateroom was ok, unless they hit bad weather.

I have been in a few rough storms one the back end of a hurricane my DD could not go down to dinner in Parrot cay or Animators, (AP worst as enclosed) and eat in our room on Deck 8.

Tenders at Grand Cayman and Cozumel (to mainland) are worst, the Coz ones being low and enclosed should be avoided, they made me feel sick! and i am a seasoned traveller.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
maroo
DIS Veteran

You guys are very helpful and nice over here!

I really appreciate you guys putting up with my newbie questions!

I think I am going to stay with my room - since it is an inside room and fairly close to the middle of the ship. It is also away from the thrusters (although I honestly have no idea what those are? I guess the engines?) and any bars, etc. And I should be able to just take the stairs to the pool areas.

I really appreciate your help and input!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
HiddenMickeys

Quote:
You guys are very helpful and nice over here!

I really appreciate you guys putting up with my newbie questions!

I think I am going to stay with my room - since it is an inside room and fairly close to the middle of the ship. It is also away from the thrusters (although I honestly have no idea what those are? I guess the engines?) and any bars, etc. And I should be able to just take the stairs to the pool areas.

I really appreciate your help and input!
lol, hey i was a newbie until 2 weeks ago as far as cruising goes, and still think I am. lol

Thrusters are what helps the ship move side to side. When the ship comes in to dock, for example, they will use the side away from the dock's thrusters to move closer, and the thrusters on the dock side to sort of slow the movement in (almost like a brake). I have read reports where people were located near the thrusters on the 2 existing ships and said they woke them from a dead sleep. But as the thrusters need to be IN the water, they are on the bottom of the ship and if you're above decks 1-2 you "shouldnt" hear them at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: