Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
zara
Mouseketeer

Due to fly 2nd December........

Whole family due to fly out 2nd December. This has been booked since last year!!!! My daughter who is going with us and her family have just had a new baby in May this year, so we added her on the flight quite happily. Now it appears that the baby (Abigail) who is 5 months old might not be able to fly as she was born with a condition called pectus excavatum where the chest bone hasn't developed properly. She sucks her chest in when breathing and the doctor says they will have to put her in to a flight simulator to see how she goes. We were never told that this was serious but a mild case.
This might not happen until 2 days before we are due to leave. We all don't know what to do or whats gonna happen. So folks, all our planning might just have to go out the window if Abigail doesn't pass this flight simulator test.
I am just hoping we will get our money back from insurance........
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
mackay_j
DIS Veteran

Hi, sorry to here that, however, I would not rush to fly her long hall. If it were me I think I would play safe contact you insurers and hopefuly they will refund you. If this something that will improve over her first few years, then I would just hold out until she is able to go safely (a simulater will not cover all eventuallities- cabin perssure, tubulance, illness caught before flying back)- You will all get a better holiday, less stress and she will get something out of disney if she is a little older. I hope this doen't sound too harsh I really know how disapointed you feel, we had to pull out of a holiday to mexico that we had been planning for over a year in oct. But I am glad we did, we would have been so on edge watching my girl incase she got worse/relapsed. Now we can go away later and really enjoy it. If you do need to cancel come back on here and we can all give you some suggestions for UK short breaks (or even disney paris) that you can do as a we pick you up to keep you all going until she is safe to fly. We took a boat out on the broads, and visited an indoor water park to keep us going until she was fit to book again. good luck
mackay_j is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
aaronandterri
We love disney!
Does that mean were ok?

Isabelle had a fit to fly test it involeved various oxygen amounts and pressures and tiny pinprick blood tests , it isnt so bad, the doctor can prescribe you oxygen for the journey, ring and speak to the consultant at the hospital they reffered you to.

My how they Grow~ My very own Captin Jack *
aaronandterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
bod diddy
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry, this is no doubt going to rile some people up, but I feel like I need to speak up for those on the other side of the fence.

Is is really the best idea to take a child under a year old on a long haul flight? Even if you look past it's own health and comfort, what about everyone else's on that flight? I recently had to put up with a screaming infant for what seemed like the whole flight.

I had decent earphones, so I wasn't terribly affected, but my sister in law didn't have that same luxury. After the flight she was ready to kill herself. It seems like such a selfish decision to put not only the child, but innocent passengers through the ordeal.

Anyone agree?
bod diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
dc1964
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bod diddy View Post
I'm sorry, this is no doubt going to rile some people up, but I feel like I need to speak up for those on the other side of the fence.

Is is really the best idea to take a child under a year old on a long haul flight? Even if you look past it's own health and comfort, what about everyone else's on that flight? I recently had to put up with a screaming infant for what seemed like the whole flight.

I had decent earphones, so I wasn't terribly affected, but my sister in law didn't have that same luxury. After the flight she was ready to kill herself. It seems like such a selfish decision to put not only the child, but innocent passengers through the ordeal.

Anyone agree?
No......bizarre to use the term innocent passengers. it sort of suggests that parents and children are in some way guilty. It is simply wrong to suggest that parents of young children, some of whom may be suffering from long term illnesses or have different abilities cannot travel just to protect the eardrums of others.
I suppose you were expecting this sort of response.
2003 ramada international drive,2003 Howard johnson International drive and Portofino bay
2004 Homewood suites,2004 Xmas at Ramada on 192
2005 Parc Corniche ,Touring Orlando, Miami and keys, carnival Cruise from miami,2005 Xmas at homewood suites
2006 Homewood suites,2006xmas at Homewood Suites, bahamas Cruise with carnival
2007 Home wood suites,2007 NYC and Caribbean Cruise on QM2
2008 New Year at Homewood suites and Highlands reserve
2009 7th to 17th December, Hawthorn Suites Universal and touring around Florida

dc1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
bod diddy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1964 View Post
I suppose you were expecting this sort of response.
Well, yes. But I also hope that there are people that share my view.

If parents know what these screaming children are doing to people around them, then more precautions may be taken to avoid this. We will all be winners!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

Quote:

Anyone agree?
DH is from CA and we've lived over there and now live in the UK, so we've been flying backwards and forwards between the states and the UK since our DDs were around 6 months old. We checked with their doctors and we were told that it wasn't a problem for them to fly at that age. They have always been perfectly comfortable. In fact the only time that one of them cried was when she was 3 and we had an overnight flight back from FL and the seat belt sign was on and she wanted to sleep on DHs knee!

Both of my DDs are now older (12 15) and we don't have a problem with other people's children making noise. I figure live and let live!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

UK Spending Game #2
catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Well, yes. But I also hope that there are people that share my view.

If parents know what these screaming children are doing to people around them, then more precautions may be taken to avoid this. We will all be winners!
Children and babies can cry and "play up" without medical conditions. As for your question as to why people want to take infants on a plane, that is a personal choice.

My ex-husband worked abroad for 7 months and left a month after DD was born. He wanted to see his new baby and so, from the time she was 3 weeks old until she was nearly 9 months, I did return trips, long-haul (12 hour flight each way) every 6 weeks with her. I was exhausted and some flights were fine, others were a nightmare. Only once ever did someone complain. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Her father would have missed out on her first 9 months entirely had I not made the effort. I saw it as an investment in the people I care about.

I do respect that someone without children is more likely to be bothered by a baby crying - I would prefer it to be quiet if I had the choice - but at the same time, there is a parent or someone who is having a much harder time with the child and having been there, instead of complaining, I distract myself by seeing if there is anything I can do to help. Everyone to their own

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
bod diddy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Children and babies can cry and "play up" without medical conditions.
I know, I wouldn't take a child that is less than 3 on a long haul flight at all, even if it has a perfect bill of health.

Quote:
Only once ever did someone complain.
Not everyone has the brass neck to complain about something like that. I certainly don't, so I'm sure lots of others were affected too.

Quote:
but at the same time, there is a parent or someone who is having a much harder time with the child
Part of the frustration is that often it seems like that is not the case. If I see a child screaming, I want to see that parents doing everything to get it shut up. Feeding, changing, juggling, stand up comedy, ANYTHING! All too often you look over and the mother is just ignoring it, a plane crammed with people is not the place to experiment with SuperNanny techniques.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I wasn't actually "knocking" you Bod Diddy. I truly accept that we have different views and yes, there have been times when I shared yours and I am sure there will be other times to come. It's just that in this case the OP is really gutted that the little one has a health problem and also that they may now lose out on the family holiday they have planned so long - as well as potentially the money paid for it.

I am just one of those people who wants everyone to win - idealistic? Yes, but nice, very nice . And I want everything to be okay for the OP and family and of course the baby.

I guess it's true what they say: 3 sides to every story - yours, mine and the truth!

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Please stay on topic of original poster.
Trip planning forum is for helping people plan their trips, not discussing if something is right or not when its clearly allowed.
Thank you.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
kristieuk
DIS Veteran

Zara, I really feel for you. I guess the not knowing is the worst thing of all. I really hope everything goes well - it sounds as though there could be something that could be done to help with the oxygen if necessary? I just wanted to say that I have everything crossed for you, and I really hope that all your planning results in a wonderful holiday.

Without wishing to get into trouble for going off your original post, we have flown long haul regularly with both our daughters since they were as young as 6 weeks, and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again. They have thankfully been very easy travellers, so it shouldn't be assumed that just because a baby is young it will scream for 10 hours! I just didn't want the fear of Abigail being fractious for a whole flight to add to your worries - I'm sure 9 times out of 10, babies are better behaved on a flight than many adults

My ICE Buddy is Nubbedy
kristieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
Pooh's-Honey-Pot
Disney Bride June 19th 2006

Hope everything works out well for you and your new grand daughter Ignore the negative people . . . some people just love an opportunity to jump on their soap box!!

Disney trips:- 1989 - WDW Off Site; 1990 - DLR off site; 1997 - Disneyland Paris off site; 1997 -WDW off site; 2002 - WDW off site; 2003 - WDW off site; 2005 - WDW AS Movies; 2006 - WDW CBR (Disneymoon and Disney Wedding Pavillion Bride!); 2007 -DLR off site; 2008 - WDW POFQ; 2009 - DCL-A week on the Disney Magic (Western) + WDW POFQ; 2010 - Disneyland Paris Hotel Cheyenne; 2010 - WDW Saratoga Springs Resort / Universal RPR 2010 -Pop Century; 2012 - Fantasy cruise

Take a peek at my 2009 reviews "But We Haven't Lost Last Years Weight Yet"! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post32039625
Check out my 2008 food report "Gluttony . . . Pure Gluttony" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1837106
2010 food review - "The Piggies are back . . . and this time they're hungry" http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post38731959
Pooh's-Honey-Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
zara
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the interesting comments.

And, I have to say that in my experience it is easier to fly with a baby than a toddler or child. Babies sleep more and are more easier. This is from experience. Will tell you all how we get on with the simulator and what our decision is.......
zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 AM   #15
maznorm
Mouseketeer

I hope the simulator goes well. Babies definitely travel easier than toddlers. We travelled when my daighter was 3 months old and my son was 15 months old. My daughter cried every waking minute of her 1st year. No reason, she was just a crier. On the plane however, she slept for the entire 9 hours!! My son was also very well behaved and basically sat and watched the seatback TV the entire flight. We were sat in the same section as several other parents of young children (we called it the nursery) and during the whole flight only one baby got upset for a short period of time because her ears popped. Fortunately, because they sat all the parents together and we were all sympathetic and offered our help.

I hope all goes well and that the flight is uneventful and the trip wonderful. Have fun!!

Babies are great at suprising you. Good luck whatever you decide.

Oh, and "bod diddy" this same daughter cried for an hour whilst we stood in a queue for our flight. They let everyone but the parents of young children on first. Before they called our flight, we had to stand there holding 2 crying, screaming children, whilst people like you sat in your seats and tutted. If one of you had the decency to get off your judgemental butts, my daughter and son would have both been fine, and these people wouldn't have had to listen to them.

maznorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: