Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #46
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
Sherry there's supposed to be another Behind the Magic: Disney Holidays on HGTV on Sunday Nov 29 at 8pm.
Oooooohhhh!!! Tomorrow night? Let me check my cable guide.....Yes! You are right! "Behind the Magic: Disney Holidays" which is about WDW! I just set the DVR for that too! Thank you so much, DisneySuiteFreak! I used to be a big HGTV nut years ago, then I burnt out on it so I never know what they air anymore. This sounds like the sort of show which would ordinarily air on the Travel Channel or even Food Network, perhaps (like the Raven Symone Disney Holiday show did), so it is odd that it is ending up on HGTV!!! This makes me wonder what other channels I should be checking for Disney shows! (Oddly, the Disney Channel never airs any of these sorts of programs!) I have to re-record that Samantha Brown Disney holiday special because I switched DVRs since the last time I got it. Thank you again!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #47
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I updated post #27 (where I put the main list of the more interesting Disney-related shows) to include DisneySuiteFreak's tip about the Behind the Magic: Disney Holidays HGTV show tomorrow night as well as Disneyobsessed808's wonderful suggestion of the Modern Marvels - Disney World show on the History Channel. At some point, I will separate them into WDW & DLR sections, alphabetize them within the WDW and DLR sections and then lump the holiday-related shows together, but not right now! I am going to check the cable guide (usually shows what is airing up to 2 weeks in advance) and see if I can catch that Samantha Brown Disney Holiday special and any others that may return (like the Raven Symone WDW one).

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #48
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Oooooohhhh!!! Tomorrow night? Let me check my cable guide.....Yes! You are right! "Behind the Magic: Disney Holidays" which is about WDW! I just set the DVR for that too! Thank you so much, DisneySuiteFreak! I used to be a big HGTV nut years ago, then I burnt out on it so I never know what they air anymore. This sounds like the sort of show which would ordinarily air on the Travel Channel or even Food Network, perhaps (like the Raven Symone Disney Holiday show did), so it is odd that it is ending up on HGTV!!! This makes me wonder what other channels I should be checking for Disney shows! (Oddly, the Disney Channel never airs any of these sorts of programs!) I have to re-record that Samantha Brown Disney holiday special because I switched DVRs since the last time I got it. Thank you again!
I agree! I was surprised they were airing this on HGTV instead of Travel Channel. Honestly, I almost never watch HGTV! I've been tuning in recently because were are in the process of renovating our house and they've been showing the commercials for this a lot. And yes, you would think that Disney would show these types of shows on their stations for all the Disney freaks, but surprisingly, no they don't. So I'm looking forward to it! Any Disney is better than no Disney, right?
Do you know when the Samantha Brown Disney Holiday special is airing? I really love Samantha Brown shows. I wish she did more of them. I used to be a TC freak and watched or taped all the shows like Sam Browns, but I stopped watching it. I don't understand why there is so much Anthony Bourdaine type shows on TC now and hardly any Sam Brown type shows...
My June 2009 Summer Nightastic Photo Intensive Trip Report Disneyland, Magical Fireworks, Disney's Electrical Parade, Fantasmic!, Ride pics, SeaWorld, Aquarium of the Pacific and Knotts Berry Farm...Updated 3-17-2010 ~ Better late than never!

Previous Trips: 7/2012, Desert Inn and Suites; 1/2012, Hojos Bld 1; 6/2011 DL, Hojos Bldg 2; 9/2009 DL, Hojos King room & Pool Review; 6/2009 DL, Seaworld SD, Aquarium of the Pacific & Knotts Berry Farm, Fairfield Inn and more FFI; 1/2009 DL, Hojos; 1/2008 DL, Hojos Premium 2 Queen DL facing room; 1/2007 DL, Hojos; 1/2006 DL, Hojos; 12/2005 DL, Hojos; 10/2005 DL, Hojos; 12/2004 DL, Hojos; 12/2003 DL, Hojos; 12/2002 DL, Hojos; 12/2001 DL, Hojos; 7/2-14 2001 WDW & US IOA;10/2000 DL Desert Inn and Suites; 10/1999 DL, Anaheim Plaza, 10/1997 Anaheim Plaza...and many previous trips to DL as a kid... We are once again Deluxe Annual Passholders! Just went June 15-18, 2011, am planning a short trip in August 2011, and will be running my first Half Marathon in the Tinkerbell Half Marathon January 2012!!! Nikon D90, Nikon 18-200mmVR, Nikon 70-300mmVR, Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50mm 1.2 AI, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8, Nikon SB800, and a whole bunch of other stuff to go along with it!
DisneySuiteFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #49
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
I agree! I was surprised they were airing this on HGTV instead of Travel Channel. Honestly, I almost never watch HGTV! I've been tuning in recently because were are in the process of renovating our house and they've been showing the commercials for this a lot. And yes, you would think that Disney would show these types of shows on their stations for all the Disney freaks, but surprisingly, no they don't. So I'm looking forward to it! Any Disney is better than no Disney, right?
Do you know when the Samantha Brown Disney Holiday special is airing? I really love Samantha Brown shows. I wish she did more of them. I used to be a TC freak and watched or taped all the shows like Sam Browns, but I stopped watching it. I don't understand why there is so much Anthony Bourdaine type shows on TC now and hardly any Sam Brown type shows...
This coming Thursday - December 3rd - on Travel Channel, they are airing the Disney Holiday Magic/Samantha Brown show as well as her other one - Disney Favs. They are also airing the Walt Disney World Resort show (not a Samantha Brown show, but good nonetheless!). So it will be one big block of Disney! The shows run, I think, two or three times that day, so you have to check your listing for the best times to record!

Old 11-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #50
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
This coming Thursday - December 3rd - on Travel Channel, they are airing the Disney Holiday Magic/Samantha Brown show as well as her other one - Disney Favs. They are also airing the Walt Disney World Resort show (not a Samantha Brown show, but good nonetheless!). So it will be one big block of Disney! The shows run, I think, two or three times that day, so you have to check your listing for the best times to record!
Thanks Sherry! Looks like I will get a Disney fix after all!
My June 2009 Summer Nightastic Photo Intensive Trip Report Disneyland, Magical Fireworks, Disney's Electrical Parade, Fantasmic!, Ride pics, SeaWorld, Aquarium of the Pacific and Knotts Berry Farm...Updated 3-17-2010 ~ Better late than never!

Previous Trips: 7/2012, Desert Inn and Suites; 1/2012, Hojos Bld 1; 6/2011 DL, Hojos Bldg 2; 9/2009 DL, Hojos King room & Pool Review; 6/2009 DL, Seaworld SD, Aquarium of the Pacific & Knotts Berry Farm, Fairfield Inn and more FFI; 1/2009 DL, Hojos; 1/2008 DL, Hojos Premium 2 Queen DL facing room; 1/2007 DL, Hojos; 1/2006 DL, Hojos; 12/2005 DL, Hojos; 10/2005 DL, Hojos; 12/2004 DL, Hojos; 12/2003 DL, Hojos; 12/2002 DL, Hojos; 12/2001 DL, Hojos; 7/2-14 2001 WDW & US IOA;10/2000 DL Desert Inn and Suites; 10/1999 DL, Anaheim Plaza, 10/1997 Anaheim Plaza...and many previous trips to DL as a kid... We are once again Deluxe Annual Passholders! Just went June 15-18, 2011, am planning a short trip in August 2011, and will be running my first Half Marathon in the Tinkerbell Half Marathon January 2012!!! Nikon D90, Nikon 18-200mmVR, Nikon 70-300mmVR, Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50mm 1.2 AI, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8, Nikon SB800, and a whole bunch of other stuff to go along with it!
DisneySuiteFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #51
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Of course, now my darn DVR (Time Warner rental) is acting up...it is actually doing the same thing that the one I replaced in July was doing. I am clearing shows from the memory so they disappear from the menu, but the DVR's memory is still holding them and somehow this is interfering with recording new shows even though it looks like there is plenty of space available! Arrrgggghhhhhh! Now I see why people get TiVo. Or I may have to switch to AT&T! This thing had better start working by the time I record the Behind the Magic show on HGTV today, and then again for the Samantha Brown Disney Holiday show and, of course, Guy Fieri's show next weekend. I have rebooted it but it is still acting loopy.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #52
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Thanks Sherry for the heads up!

I set my DVR for both Guy's show and the Behind the Magic one. It's (behind the magic) showing at 8 p.m. here as well as 3 a.m. tomorrow, Friday 8 p.m., and Sat. 3 a.m. just in case you can't record it.

FYI, if you ever do have to give back your DVR you can copy your recorded shows-I did this when we switched from Dish to AT&T. You just have to connect your old DVR to another TV and connect a VCR or DVD recorder to it. Play the programs on the t.v. and record them just as you would a non-DVR program. It'll work. Then you can have to to watch even after you get a new DVR machine. Personally, I don't have a DVD recorder, so I put mine on tape. We had a DVD recorder for a short time but I was very frustrated that most of the new movies were blocked from being recorded to a DVD recorder. If you can't record movies to watch later, what's the point?

Also for those who can't see/record the show (3D) on Sat. it's also showing again in our area on Sunday at 12 a.m. It's probably showing more times but for now my guide only goes to Tuesday.

Just checked foodnetwork site-Guy's Disney show will also air at 8 p.m. on De.c 11th (EST and PST)
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #53
JackandSally79
Growing old but not up

Thanks for the info!!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #54
Leofoenget
DIS Veteran

Anyone want to bet there will be a "Princess and the Frog" food network Challenge episode too? They seem to do all their food network stuff all at once. I bet they will!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #55
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Everybody remember to set those DVRs, VCRs, etc.! Guy's DLR Holiday special is finally on tomorrow night on the Food Network!! I can't wait to see it because I am itching to get back to my favorite place for the holidays!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #56
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

I should also give a shout out to that HGTV special "Behind the Magic: Disney Holidays" that DisneySuiteFreak was nice enough to tell us about last week. I watched it and the Samantha Brown Disney Holiday show within a few days of each other to make a decent comparison, and while Samantha's show was fun and featured tiny little segments on DLR during the holidays sandwiched in between all the WDW stuff, I actually think the HGTV show was more of a comprehensive overview of holidays at WDW and how it all comes together. It was really detailed and informative and totally covered all things Disney holiday in the show, whereas Samantha's show tended to veer off a bit into some non-holiday territory at times. Behind the Magic: Disney Holidays had very good segments on the 'edible' ornaments at the hotels, on the plants, Christmas trees, topiaries and poinsettias, on the lights, garland, with facts and figures, etc. It was sort of an all-encompassing look at the holidays, Disney style. Very educational.

There was no mention of DLR at Christmastime in this HGTV special, but that was okay with me. Except for the fact that WDW is so enormous in comparison to DLR, many of the same preparations and arrangements WDW employs to prepare for its holiday season are also used at DLR, just on a smaller scale. I think anyone who loves Disney and especially loves Disney during the holidays will appreciate this HGTV special even if they are partial to DLR. So I definitely recommend it.

It is interesting that part of Guy Fieri's show tomorrow night is supposed to cover making gingerbread houses at DLR. Hasn't it been established that there are no gingerbread houses sold at DLR? Last I recall reading here on the DIS, people were saying they didn't see any sold anywhere in DLR and I didn't see them last year, either. So unless Guy is doing a segment on the Jazz Kitchen and their gingerbread house-making workshop, I can't figure out where these houses are that he is doing a segment on!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #57
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Bump (the show is on tonight, so don't want to let this slip too far down the page)!!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #58
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Got my DVR recording it!
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #59
mama2twoluvbugs
Earning My Ears

Wooohooo we leave on christmas eve...so I have def. set my DVR to help us set the mood...
mama2twoluvbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #60
DisCookie
Mouseketeer

It's on now, here anyways

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: