Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #31
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

At Costco today, they had an 18 qt Rival Roaster for $39.99 plus sales tax. Stainless steel outside, but not inside. Couldn't tell if it had the buffett inserts.
disneyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #32
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhand View Post
At Costco today, they had an 18 qt Rival Roaster for $39.99 plus sales tax. Stainless steel outside, but not inside. Couldn't tell if it had the buffett inserts.
I saw the 18 qt Rival at Target over the weekend. For some reason it can't handle a turkey as big as the Nesco. I think because the sides are not as high. I think their 22 qt is the one that can handle a turkey.

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
I saw the 18 qt Rival at Target over the weekend. For some reason it can't handle a turkey as big as the Nesco. I think because the sides are not as high. I think their 22 qt is the one that can handle a turkey.
Good, I'm happy with what I ordered and it should be here today! I kind of want to take it for a test drive....
I need the larger capacity!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #34
iankh

Quote:
Good, I'm happy with what I ordered and it should be here today! I kind of want to take it for a test drive....
I need the larger capacity!
We'll have to compare notes on the the burn-in. I'm doing it tomorrow morning.

I think the roaster arrived so quickly for me because it shipped directly from Nesco, who is located in Wisconsin, and I'm in Chicago. It basically came over night.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #35
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We'll have to compare notes on the the burn-in. I'm doing it tomorrow morning.

I think the roaster arrived so quickly for me because it shipped directly from Nesco, who is located in Wisconsin, and I'm in Chicago. It basically came over night.
Mine arrived on time yesterday, but I don't think it's right. The outside is stainless steel, including the lid, but the cookwell and buffett servers are black porcelain. Did you get the right one?
When I go back to my order paperwork and the Carson website, I did get what I ordered, but their description doesn't match the product they show in the picture and shipped to me.
Went to the Nesco website and the stainless model with stainless cookwell is different. The lid is black on it and you can clearly see the stainless cookwell. I don't find one like that on the Carson website at all.
My hubby took it out of the box so now I'll need to contact them and make a decision. Keep it and try to get the price difference refunded or return it? Hope you got the right one!
Old 11-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #36
iankh

Quote:
Mine arrived on time yesterday, but I don't think it's right. The outside is stainless steel, including the lid, but the cookwell and buffett servers are black porcelain. Did you get the right one?
When I go back to my order paperwork and the Carson website, I did get what I ordered, but their description doesn't match the product they show in the picture and shipped to me.
Went to the Nesco website and the stainless model with stainless cookwell is different. The lid is black on it and you can clearly see the stainless cookwell. I don't find one like that on the Carson website at all.
My hubby took it out of the box so now I'll need to contact them and make a decision. Keep it and try to get the price difference refunded or return it? Hope you got the right one!
I PM'd you. I opened mine today and saw the same thing. I phoned them and told them that their description did not match what I ordered. The one with the porcelain cookwell is $30 cheaper. I told them that I would keep it, but I did not want to pay for a stainless steel cookwell when the one shipped did not have one.

I think the item is misdescribed on their site. I think what the item is is the porcelain cookwell with the buffet accessory, which is very nice, but not necessarily what I wanted.

They are supposed to email me back within 24 to 48 hours with whether or the difference will be credited back.

I'll just pack it back up. They pay for the shipping back, or I can also return it to a Carson's which is not too far away from me.

The list price was right in line with the stainless steel cookwell model.

The funny thing is it's sitting on my front porch, doing the burn in.

I didn't even notice the cookwell until later. It dawned on me that the cookwell wasn't stainless steel.

Like I said, the buffet is nice, and the fact that you can add water to the cookwell to make it a moist heat for keeping food warm is nice, but it really wasn't something I needed or was looking for.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #37
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I PM'd you. I opened mine today and saw the same thing. I phoned them and told them that their description did not match what I ordered. The one with the porcelain cookwell is $30 cheaper. I told them that I would keep it, but I did not want to pay for a stainless steel cookwell when the one shipped did not have one.

I think the item is misdescribed on their site. I think what the item is is the porcelain cookwell with the buffet accessory, which is very nice, but not necessarily what I wanted.

They are supposed to email me back within 24 to 48 hours with whether or the difference will be credited back.

I'll just pack it back up. They pay for the shipping back, or I can also return it to a Carson's which is not too far away from me.

The list price was right in line with the stainless steel cookwell model.

The funny thing is it's sitting on my front porch, doing the burn in.

I didn't even notice the cookwell until later. It dawned on me that the cookwell wasn't stainless steel.

Like I said, the buffet is nice, and the fact that you can add water to the cookwell to make it a moist heat for keeping food warm is nice, but it really wasn't something I needed or was looking for.
I didn't check my pm's thanks for that! I'll contact them as well. I'll keep it too if they refund the difference. I hope and expect that they will do the right thing. I'll be in touch, Thanks, Mary
Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #38
iankh

Quote:
I didn't check my pm's thanks for that! I'll contact them as well. I'll keep it too if they refund the difference. I hope and expect that they will do the right thing. I'll be in touch, Thanks, Mary
I was sort of bummed out after I noticed that error. At worse case it can be sent back.

I can tell you now that I'm in the middle of doing it, that the burn in process is turning out to be very easy. I really don't smell anything and have not noticed any smoke in the burn off, though it is outside my house and very breezy today.

If I end up returning it and getting either the one I wanted or a less expensive one, it won't be too much trouble to do another burn in.

I do like the size of the cookwell, and I also really like the rack complete with the lifters built in. That's very nice.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #39
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was sort of bummed out after I noticed that error. At worse case it can be sent back.

I can tell you now that I'm in the middle of doing it, that the burn in process is turning out to be very easy. I really don't smell anything and have not noticed any smoke in the burn off, though it is outside my house and very breezy today.

If I end up returning it and getting either the one I wanted or a less expensive one, it won't be too much trouble to do another burn in.

I do like the size of the cookwell, and I also really like the rack complete with the lifters built in. That's very nice.
Agree. Just sent my online form to their Customer Service. My Husband thinks getting the ss cookwell at this point isn't worth the $ difference or hassle of returning it, so if they do the right thing I can live with it!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #40
iankh

Quote:
Agree. Just sent my online form to their Customer Service. My Husband thinks getting the ss cookwell at this point isn't worth the $ difference or hassle of returning it, so if they do the right thing I can live with it!
I was at Costco today and saw they have a 22 qt Hamilton Beach Roaster.

I gave it a thorough look over. I would say the Nesco is a bit better made. Heaver gauge parts and seems to fit together better.

I hope Carson's makes good, but if I were to end up returning the one I have, I think I still get another Nesco.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #41
cc1075
cc

I have used my Nesco cooker for years - - Turkey, of course - learned that from my Mom and Grandmother! But the best news - having a large crowd over - - do your chili in there it is wonderful! When I found out they also make a 6 quart and 8 quart I just had to have one. I use my 6 quart all of the time, especially in the summer - so much better than turning on the over - and if it is really hot - just cook on the deck or put it in the garage. I use my six quart for everything. Roast a chicken - slow cook my ribs, etc. etc. Everything is so much better in the roaster oven. I want to get really brave and try a cake. Another thing - - Chex Mix - snack for the holidays - you can make a double batch in the six quart - again so much easier than the oven and think of all the electricity we are saving.!!!!

Thank big - think beyond the turkey! You will be so happy!!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #42
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1075 View Post
I have used my Nesco cooker for years - - Turkey, of course - learned that from my Mom and Grandmother! But the best news - having a large crowd over - - do your chili in there it is wonderful! When I found out they also make a 6 quart and 8 quart I just had to have one. I use my 6 quart all of the time, especially in the summer - so much better than turning on the over - and if it is really hot - just cook on the deck or put it in the garage. I use my six quart for everything. Roast a chicken - slow cook my ribs, etc. etc. Everything is so much better in the roaster oven. I want to get really brave and try a cake. Another thing - - Chex Mix - snack for the holidays - you can make a double batch in the six quart - again so much easier than the oven and think of all the electricity we are saving.!!!!

Thank big - think beyond the turkey! You will be so happy!!
Thanks for the feedback. My roaster has had the initial burn in and is now ready for the big day. One question, how do you brown your turkey?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #43
Chris2597
DIS Veteran

Why do you brine a turkey? What is that?
Chris2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #44
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2597 View Post
Why do you brine a turkey? What is that?
It improves the flavor and helps it retain moisture so it does not dry out during the cooking process. The soaking in water and salt changes the cell structure so that as the protein breaks down through the process of heat (cooking) the moisture in the cells are retained rather than evaporating off. This is why kosher poultry is more tender, because the process of koshering entails salting and soaking.

The following is an explanation I found online:

"Salt changes the structure of the muscle tissues in the meat, allowing it to swell and absorb water and flavorings. It also breaks down the proteins, resulting in a tender-seeming turkey. This means that--despite the moisture loss during roasting and the long cooking time--the end result is a juicier bird."

Old 11-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #45
iankh

This was the first year I used the electric roaster, and I have to say that I will never go back to using the regular oven!

I originally bought a Nesco Roaster, but decided to test the temperature calibration the weekend before Thanksgiving. I found that it was 100 degrees off!

I had ordered over the Internet, but took it back to a local branch of the department store. I ended up buying a Hamilton Beach at Costco for $39. Testing the calibration temperature of this one was also off a bit, but I knew how to adjust it..

The dining room which is next to the kitchen was emptied, because the dining table was moved to the front room. I had the roaster on a folding table in there. The turkey itself was browned for about 40 minutes in a hot oven to sear it and then plopped in the roaster.

There was a fair bit of experimenting, considering that this was the first year for brining and the first year for the electric roaster. It was also the first year I've every roasted a turkey unstuffed.

I think I can safely say that everyone LOVED the turkey. There have been friends who have been coming for years and thought that this was the tenderest, moistest and most flavorful.

I have to admit myself that this was the best one I've ever done. The brining added tenderness and flavor, but I think the roaster also contributed a lot, because the cooking space is small there is more vapor and steam in the cooking process.

As I said, browning is a challenge, but between searing it for the first 40 minutes and a browning concoction I painted it with, it came out looking very greeting card-esque.

To top it all off, I didn't have to baste the turkey.

Because the oven was freed up, it made everything else much easier as I had the oven free for other uses.

I am very pleased with the electric roaster. As I said, I won't be going back to doing on in the regular oven.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: