Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #16
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iankh View Post
By the way, I was at a local Target today and they only had the smaller Rival roaster, not the one that's big enough for a turkey.

I'm glad that I ordered the Nesco which should arrive by about November 10th at the latest. Plenty of time for me to do the "burn-in."
Good to know, thanks. I would buy the big one that you purchased. Found it online thru Walmart for $104, no tax, free shipping. But I'm still thinking it thru.....
disneyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
iankh
It's never done till it's overdone

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhand View Post
Good to know, thanks. I would buy the big one that you purchased. Found it online thru Walmart for $104, no tax, free shipping. But I'm still thinking it thru.....
I've found it cheaper than that. They still have it at Carson's www.carsons.com which is Carson, Pirie, Scott in Chicago, the Boston Store in other cities, and other names in other places.

They still have a discount coupon code on their main page and free shipping.

The 18 quart Nesco's are ranging there from $39 (white porcelain coated body, porcelain coated cookwell), $69 (stainless steel body, porcelain coated cookewell) and $99 (stainless body and stainless steel cookwell).

They also have a coupon code on their home page. I may have to phone later and see if I can change my order, because I think the current discount code is better than the one I used this past Friday. Also free shipping on orders over $75.

iankh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've found it cheaper than that. They still have it at Carson's www.carsons.com which is Carson, Pirie, Scott in Chicago, the Boston Store in other cities, and other names in other places.

The 18 quart Nesco's are ranging there from $39 (white porcelain coated body, porcelain coated cookwell), $69 (stainless steel body, porcelain coated cookewell) and $99 (stainless body and stainless steel cookwell).

They also have a coupon code on their home page. I may have to phone later and see if I can change my order, because I think the current discount code is better than the one I used this past Friday. Also free shipping on orders over $75.
Thanks!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #19
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well I ordered one! Thanks for all the info. I ordered it from the link you provided for Carson and used the discount code on the home page. It came to $89 and included free shipping and no sales tax. The coupon code was for up to 25%, but small home electronics were a maximum 10%. That saved me $15 from the Walmart link!
We'll have to compare notes after Thanksgiving! Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
iankh

Quote:
Well I ordered one! Thanks for all the info. I ordered it from the link you provided for Carson and used the discount code on the home page. It came to $89 and included free shipping and no sales tax. The coupon code was for up to 25%, but small home electronics were a maximum 10%. That saved me $15 from the Walmart link!
We'll have to compare notes after Thanksgiving! Thanks again!
That was the lowest price I could find on that model. I like the idea of the stainless steel pan!

Definitely we'll have to compare notes! Like I said, I'll be brining the turkey and then I think putting it in a hot oven for the first 30 to 40 minutes before transferring it to the roaster to do some browning. An oven that's free for other stuff on Thanksgiving, what a novel idea!

I'm not even so sure why I am so concerned about the browning because nobody seems to eat the skin these days. I suppose it's all about the "ta-da" moment before the carving.

Don't forget about the burn in before you use it. Some people on some cooking forums I asked about it told me to do it a few times before the first use.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
iankh

Oh, and I will also be using a probe thermometer to monitor the turkey temperature. I've used one in past years even with regular oven. Mine has a probe and an oven safe cable/wire so the digital read out stays on the outside of the oven. Mine is magnetic which is pretty cool too so it just sticks to the side of the oven.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #22
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

I'll be sure to do the burn off before I use it the first time. That is a great tip.

I plan to use my probe thermometer on the turkey as well, it's so helpful. The stainless steel pan will be so much easier to clean, I'm loving that option.

I haven't decided about brining yet. We've done it several times before and it is really good, but I don't actually miss it when we don't brine

I'm also really looking forward to that extra oven space, yea!

Thanks for all your advice!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #23
iankh

Quote:
I'll be sure to do the burn off before I use it the first time. That is a great tip.

I plan to use my probe thermometer on the turkey as well, it's so helpful. The stainless steel pan will be so much easier to clean, I'm loving that option.

I haven't decided about brining yet. We've done it several times before and it is really good, but I don't actually miss it when we don't brine

I'm also really looking forward to that extra oven space, yea!

Thanks for all your advice!
We'll have to swap our experiences after the big day.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #24
jrnunzio3
DIS Veteran

I highly recommend the roaster - oh and brining your bird too! It imparts lovely flavor and a crispness on the skin that is to die for![/QUOTE]

What do you use for a brine? I have never done this before, but it looks like we will be staying home for Thanksgiving and wouldn't mind trying this in my Nesco.
jrnunzio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #25
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnunzio3 View Post
I highly recommend the roaster - oh and brining your bird too! It imparts lovely flavor and a crispness on the skin that is to die for!
What do you use for a brine? I have never done this before, but it looks like we will be staying home for Thanksgiving and wouldn't mind trying this in my Nesco.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to use the brining part that I found for a brined turkey on Epicurious. I'm actually preparing another turkey from there but will use this for the brine:

Brine
4 quarts apple cider, divided
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1/4 cup whole allspice
8 bay leaves
4 quarts cold water
1 20-pound turkey (neck and gizzard reserved)

Preparation:
Simmer 1 quart apple cider, salt, allspice, and bay leaves in 20-quart pot 5 minutes, stirring often. Cool completely. Add remaining 3 quarts cider and 4 quarts water. Place turkey in brine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Drain turkey and rinse. Arrange on several layers of paper towels in roasting pan. Refrigerate uncovered overnight.

For the process of brining, I am going to follow the instructions I found here:

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-ti...g-a-turkey.asp

Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #26
Tweevil
Twin Evils....

I have to say that Alton Brown is who I follow for the brine - maybe not so much the ginger and allspice berries (I just use allspice that is already ground) - lots of pepper and brown sugar though! I do use the aromatics (or something like the one below - maybe not all of the herbs) in the bird, I do my stuffing/dressing separately in the oven.

For the nesco I jack up the thing to as high as it will go for the 30 minutes and then turn it back down for the remainder of the cooking time. As others have mentioned you could do this in your oven and then transfer to the nesco.

Happy Cooking!

From the direct link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
Ingredients
1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
For the brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water
For the aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil
Directions
Click here to see how it's done.

2 to 3 days before roasting:

Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.

Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.

Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat:

Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.

Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.

Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #27
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

We mostly use Alton Brown's Brine recipe as well, though we don't use the exact same herbs and spices.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #28
iankh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweevil View Post
I have 3 roasters and love them all. Turkey in the big one, ham in the middle one, and I put sides in loaf pans in the smaller one with a wee bit of water (maybe like a bain marie?) to keep those going with my oven is nuts with desserts and the like.

I agree with the burn off - sometimes they smell like plastic buring and my newest one smelled like fish?!?! for some reason. You don't want that on Thanksgiving eve it takes a bit for it to dissipate.

I highly recommend the roaster - oh and brining your bird too! It imparts lovely flavor and a crispness on the skin that is to die for!
I meant to ask you ... do you do any browning of the turkey in your regular oven, or do you do it completely in the roaster? If so, how do you get the skin brown and crispy?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #29
iankh

The Nesco Roaster I ordered arrived today! Also a bit of a surprise, it came with a 3 compartment buffet insert. I'll need to think about how I can use that to keep some sides warm.

This coming weekend I plan to do the burn-in.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #30
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Nesco Roaster I ordered arrived today! Also a bit of a surprise, it came with a 3 compartment buffet insert. I'll need to think about how I can use that to keep some sides warm.

This coming weekend I plan to do the burn-in.
Wow, that was fast! Mine shipped yesterday.
Good luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: