Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #91
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Hi! We are having a great time- Kidani is amazing- I wish we were here the whole week!!! Lots of animals outside our room, and the kids all just had fun at the pool. Now headed to the arcade then DHS and Boma for dinner.

And how 'bout them Yankees!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the prayers- we are so glad Sean is here and enjoying himself!!!

Ellen
Ellen - That is so great that you are all having such a fantastic trip and that you love Kidani. It's so much prettier in real life, isn't it?

As far as those yankees are concerned ......I'm from Philly originally, so "no comment".

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #92
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Ellen - so glad Sean made it with you. Glad you are all having a great time. We are on our way tomorrow. Can't wait. Take care.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #93
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Funny thing about the Phillies fans- they were out in full force on Weds in Epcot, the place was packed with 'em. Yesterday, though, not one Phillies tshirt anywhere. Guess they all went home Thurs morning....
Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #94
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Funny thing about the Phillies fans- they were out in full force on Weds in Epcot, the place was packed with 'em. Yesterday, though, not one Phillies tshirt anywhere. Guess they all went home Thurs morning....

That is pretty funny! There was even that much mention of the Phillies on our local news. It was like, "Oh well, better luck next year".

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #95
podsnel

Well, we're home! Had another great trip to WDW, absolutely adored both Kidani and BLT. Even my CPA hubby with barely an opinion was impressed by BLT- and my kids liked it best. That may have something to do with the giant arcade over there, though.... It was our first time to ever stay on a monorail resort, and I can really see what all the fuss is about. Very, very convenient to so much. Sean did very, VERY well on this trip- we were so proud of him. I think he loved having 2 seperate rooms for us to all be in, it gave him some space to decompress. We were all loving the 1 BDRM villas. Went to the darkside for the weekend- stayed at HRH, sadly, Sean was NOT as happy over there. The first night was HORRIBLY stressful (he had a major melt-down) and it was exhausting for all of us. Then we were worried he would be freaking out when we went back to WDW to stay at BLT- but he couldn't have been happier. Guess he's just a great big Disney fan!

Just one last detail ( don't want to tell you EVERYTHING, I won't have a TR to write!!). All of us were sick at some point on this trip, with Sean being the most ill yesterday, our last day. He was running a fever as we were packing up to get out of the room- and he was NOT going to get out of bed (we felt soooo bad for him). I called Member Services, and explained the situation. They in turn called the Contemporary- and within minutes, the hotel manager was at our door with temporary keys to a studio room down the hall that we could use until the Magical Express came for us at 3:30. He apologized for having to move us, but the 1 bdrm we were in was booked. I can't even begin to tell you what a relief this was to us. Pods stayed in the room with Sean who slept all afternoon, while I went to Epcot with T&T for a couple of hours. If they hadn't done this for us, Pods & Sean would have been outside on a bench somewhere just waiting for the day to end. It would have been HORRIBLE. But Disney really sprinkled us with some Magic by allowing us the use of that studio yesterday. Could not be any more grateful to them. I love, love, LOVE our DVC!!!!!

Back to the last vacation later.....

Ellen
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #96
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Glad you made it home safely and everything went well...for the most part. I think you learned your lesson...NEVER stay off-property again! Sooo glad Sean was able to enjoy you WDW resorts though AND that they were so nice to let him stay and sleep. I hope everyone is feeling better today! Looking forward to reading a Jersey Week TR!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #97
ortholablady
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR. Looks like you had a great time. I never thought about going to VB until seeing your TR. It looks amazing.
I also read about the DISMoms trip awhile back and have posted on a couple of Cammies TR's. Sounds like the DISMoms know how to have a good time!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #98
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

oh ellen! I sorry everyone got sick I'm very happy to hear that Sean did well. The two room thing really has me rethinking my plan to stay at CSR. I almost wonder if renting points might make more sense.

BTW what is Jersey week? Is that when you have your fall quarter break? Minnesota has MEA which is when we will go. I have heard it is just packed with MN people.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #99
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Glad you made it home safely and everything went well...for the most part. I think you learned your lesson...NEVER stay off-property again! Sooo glad Sean was able to enjoy you WDW resorts though AND that they were so nice to let him stay and sleep. I hope everyone is feeling better today! Looking forward to reading a Jersey Week TR!
Well...I didn't need to learn that lesson. I went for the 12 year old roller coaster kid. I like to go to places other than Disney, but not when I'm in Orlando. Although, HRH was a VERY nice hotel, very convenient to the parks and great amenities, as well as some very good restaurants. And the employees were very nice. If i could get over my Disney addiction, I would probably have loved it there!! I would definitely go back, just probably not with Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortholablady View Post
Just found your TR. Looks like you had a great time. I never thought about going to VB until seeing your TR. It looks amazing.
I also read about the DISMoms trip awhile back and have posted on a couple of Cammies TR's. Sounds like the DISMoms know how to have a good time!
Hi there! Yes, we Dismoms know how to have a good time! I just finished making our ADRs for our trip April 30th. I am looking forward to staying in just ONE VILLA FOR AN ENTIRE VACATION.... Thanks for coming to read my TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
oh ellen! I sorry everyone got sick I'm very happy to hear that Sean did well. The two room thing really has me rethinking my plan to stay at CSR. I almost wonder if renting points might make more sense.

BTW what is Jersey week? Is that when you have your fall quarter break? Minnesota has MEA which is when we will go. I have heard it is just packed with MN people.
It's ok that we got sick- well, what are you supposed to do? Just make the best of it, and that is what we did. I really think the 2 rooms was a good thing for Sean, he could be off in one room with just himself or one other person, I think it really did help him relax. And we also spent more "downtime" this vacation back at the hotel, I think that helped him, too. The BEST day was Friday when pods & T & T went golfing and Sean and I just did things I knew he would enjoy- the big McDonald's at DTD, the toy store, then MK and all his favorite rides. He was very happy that day- until we pulled into the HRH that night, anyway!

And NJ week is the first week of November. Eery year on the first Thursday and Friday in November there is a teachers convention in NJ, and the kids have off those 2 days, so a TON of people pull their kids out and go down to WDW for all or part of the week. The problem is the airfare, though- it is as pricey as going away for Christmas or Easter, really jacked up out of Newark. That's why we went Weds to Tuesday- we saved $1000. Next year we're doing a DCL western this week, and we may have to either suck it up or go out of JFK like we did for the last cruise to save some $$. It just makes me CRAZY, the thought of airfare to Fl being $500 pp when it is normally about $220.

Alright- I am off to finish my bookclub book, it's called The Help and it's excellent!! Then all the fun things- grocery shopping, cleaning toilets, laundry (which I don't have a ton of because I did a bunch at BLT in the room)......
Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #100
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

I'm so sorry everyone got sick. We had some of the best meals of our trip at the Universal restaurants!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #101
MEK
DIS Veteran

Welcome Back Ellen! Glad you had such a nice time and that Sean did so well (except for HRH). Sorry everyone got sick. Looking forward to reading more!!!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #102
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
I'm so sorry everyone got sick. We had some of the best meals of our trip at the Universal restaurants!
This was my favorite thing (foodwise) at Universal- the nachos at the BeachClub restaurant at the pool at HRH. O.M.G. it was HUGE!!!!!

We also ate at The Kitchen and Mythos, both very good. Where did you eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Welcome Back Ellen! Glad you had such a nice time and that Sean did so well (except for HRH). Sorry everyone got sick. Looking forward to reading more!!!!!
Thanks! I'm going to update this TR now-
Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #103
podsnel

Checking in and Checking out OKW

So, waaayyyy back in November 2007 when we were purchasing our DVC, Pods had made the comment (after the sales CM had suggested it), "Can't ya just see us going down to WDW and staying at OKW for a golf getaway without the kids someday?" Hmmm...well, yes, yes I can. Even if someday to Pods means "somewhere in a galaxy far, far away", and to me someday means, "Yippee!!! Another vacation to plan ASAP!!!" At least that's what he said when I told him where we'd be staying this trip. But I digress... I was very much looking forward to seeing OKW, I had heard it was very relaxing, had huge villas, and was absolutely POPPING with a fervent DVC loving community. And I can say now, that ALL of this is true. We were checking in kind of late, so i wasn't expecting much, just hoping for a golf course view if at all possible. Well, there was exactly ONE studio left- it was on the golf course, but without much of a view, as it was on the first floor and was HA. But, they did tell us when we asked, after checking with the MGR, that we could move the next day if we were unhappy, which I thought was very nice. Here are some pics of the great big studio, Rm. 2816-

We got settled into the new digs and I went out to explore. Since we were very centrally located in Bldg 28, this was easy to do-

The landscaping at OKW is so mature- so beautiful & tropical-

Very pretty, isn't it? And every person I passed said hello, how are you, etc, it was very warm and welcoming. I think DVC resorts in general have a "community" feel, but this one feels a little different- everyone you meet seems like they've been in the family forever; at the newer DVC's, it feels more like nice people who just got married and are on their honeymoon. KWIM? It is just a very comfy/cozy and relaxing place. Glad we went.

Next up- time for our first dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #104
podsnel

Yachtsman AND a Magicale mystery SOLVED!!

We arrived at the Yachtsman for our 8:20 ADRs and were handed a blinker and asked to wait in the Crew's Cup Lounge, which we were happy to comply with. I enjoyed my first ever flashy cocktail while DH had a vodka on the rocks-

Everyone sing along.."How much is that mee-eet in the window?? The one with the waggl-ee ta...." Oops. Sorry.

Soon we were seated and our very attentive, very nice, and very knowledgable CM was ready to wait on us! He recommended some favorites, and we proceeded to order....First came the rolls and butter and roasted garlic-

I would like to clearly state, for the record, that these onion rolls are EVEN BETTER than the DIS makes them out to be. OMG, pull-apart flaky deliciousness in every bite.... YUM! I debated about ordering the scallops, since I had had them the night before and thought nothing could top THOSE. Unfortunately, I was right. These came out...burnt.

Oh well, our server was great, he took them right off the bill. He also apologized profusely for the new chef working tonight who was just getting used to things. DH did better with the escargot-

Those were yummy. We both ordered the NY Strip for dinner, as that is our favorite cut.

His-

Mine-

LOVED the potato gratin that came along with this. The steaks were good, but not as tender as many we have had at home restaurants. We also drank a bottle of red wine with our meal, sorry i don't recall which one, I think it was a Cabernet (since I was still Jonesin for that Caymus from earlier in the day that never was). I knew we were full, but we HAD to try the Trio of Valrhona Chocolate, as I had been eyeing it for MONTHS here on the DIS-

The espresso one was my absolute favorite-

Salted caramel?

Peanut?

We also went for after-dinner drinks. Pods got a Porto, and I looked over the menu...what's this??? MAGICALE????? You call Fairytale Cuvee Magicale
on your menu???? To which our very friendly, very kind, and VERY HONEST CM says, "NO...those are two different wines. We just got a new wine list 2 days ago (sound familiar?????????). Magicale is meant to replace the Rosa Regale on the dessert menu- it is less expensive, so Disney switched. The FairyTale Cuvee was just supposed to be for the Year of a (2) Million Dreams....but I think I might be able to scare up a glass if you'd like to try it."

DUH. That server in Vero Beach at Shutters...the one we double tipped??? Who we ordered Fairy Tale Cuvee from and who I questioned the Magicale bottle about??? The one who said it was the right wine???? SHE WAS WRONG!!!!! If it weren't for the CM at YS, I never would have known (well, maybe someday I would have figured it out, but still....). I have to say, double-tipping the girl at Shutters DID come up- and this CM explained that Disney leaves the "we've already been tipped with the TIW card" to the discretion of the server. In other words, when they circle the tip on the check, or mention to you that it is included in the bill, they are doing you a BIG favor that they are not required to do. AND....they can get double tipped if they don't bring it up. Hmmmmm......very interesting....the server at Shutters just gets curiouser and curiouser to me.....ANywhoooo....

The Fairy Tale Cuvee bottle-

And the Fairy tale cuvee wine-notice how it is NOT RED!

I thought about calling Vero and ratting the girl out. But I just can't because I am holding onto a shadow of doubt that says maybe she didn't realize what she was doing- I did like her when we ate there. But I CAN tell all of YOU so that it doesn't happen again. And that is why, I just did. DH & his port-

Happy us after dinner-

We thanked our server profusely for his service and honesty, and it was time to go-

We were sleepy and ready for bed when we got back to OKW. Unfortunately....our neighbors in the adjoining 1 bdrm villa were NOT as eager to sleep as we were. They were excited about EVERYTHING until 12:30 am when DH got out of bed and knocked on their door and asked them to pipe down please. And they were quiet....for a few hours. But I heard them at 3 am....and again when we got up at 8am, screaming who knows what at each other (although I do recall one girl asking someone about which hairstyle she should wear that day, and I was very happy to yell MY opinion through the door to her). We called up front and said we would be fine staying in this room...if our neighbors were checking out that day. Which, of course, they weren't. So I packed us up, and we got out before our morning of golf at LBV.

Can I just mention....I am soooooooo tired of packing up. I am sooooo not doing any more split stays....

Up next- our morning of golf on the beautiful LBV course!!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #105
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

I really like the looks of OKW and would love to stay there someday if (when) we buy DVC.

Your dinner looked sooo good!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: