Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #181
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love that you rode bikes to DTD. What a great idea! What did pods do while you shopped. Was he pacing outside looking at his watch every 3 minutes.

I have not been to the Basin, but I am promising myself I will get there on my next trip!

I love the OKW pictures. I really think this is where I want to stay when I take my soccer mom friends. I like that the points are low and there are 2 beds in each studio. I am looking forward to trying it. I like that people aren't beating the doors down to stay there. More room for me!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #182
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Too bad about CG being so crammed. Looks like you had a nice evening anyway. IKWYM about shopping with Pods. We have the same scenario. "Why do you want that? What do you need it for? You don't need to buy anything for ____________." Jim hates it if I look around - his idea of shopping is just to grab and go!

I was thinking, you're a "foodie" cuz you are a food connoisseur , why isn't a wine connoisseur a "whiney?"
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #183
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I love that you rode bikes to DTD. What a great idea! What did pods do while you shopped. Was he pacing outside looking at his watch every 3 minutes.

I have not been to the Basin, but I am promising myself I will get there on my next trip!

I love the OKW pictures. I really think this is where I want to stay when I take my soccer mom friends. I like that the points are low and there are 2 beds in each studio. I am looking forward to trying it. I like that people aren't beating the doors down to stay there. More room for me!
Yes, Pods was pacing outside by those flowers I took a picture of, counting the beans in his pocket and cursing out all women and their shopping habits. He was pretty happy when I came out- mostly because I dropped less than $50 in the store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Too bad about CG being so crammed. Looks like you had a nice evening anyway. IKWYM about shopping with Pods. We have the same scenario. "Why do you want that? What do you need it for? You don't need to buy anything for ____________." Jim hates it if I look around - his idea of shopping is just to grab and go!

I was thinking, you're a "foodie" cuz you are a food connoisseur , why isn't a wine connoisseur a "whiney?"
Ahhh...Jim is just like Pods! Makes Christmas shopping fun, doesn't it?

I think a wine lover is a wine-O...no, that's not right....well, technically it IS right, but a wine-O is not neccessarily a connoisseur...ok! I guess I'm a Whiney! Geez...maybe I'm BOTH!!

Last edited by podsnel; 12-03-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #184
podsnel

More F&W feasting

We headed directly to France because we KNEW we needed to eat what they had there. The short ribs-

And the escargot-

were both incredibly delicious and never to be missed! We decided to share a Citron Slushie so Pods could try it for the first time, and grope the bottle from whence it came-

Next thing we stopped to eat was in Germany, now it was my turn to grope something!

Seriously, that is one gifted sausage! We also tried the spaetzle, which Pods liked but I thought was overdone. Plus, that meant more sausage for ME! Tee-hee!

We made our way around to India. While we waited for our rice & lentil crepe with potato & onion filling, I took a dessert pic- not that we ate this, it was on display. Gulab Jumun with Rose syrup & pistacios-

It just looked to sweet for us. The crepe was good, although nothing i would dream about. I think they probably could have come up with something tastier for this booth.

In China, we asked what they would reccommend. They said the chicken was delicious, so we went with that. Chicken Urumqi with cumin & traditional Chinese spices-

Ta Daa!

Cheers!

Now, this chicken, while I might not dream about it, was excellent. It was also a very generous portion (compared to many of the other portion sizes at F&W). I hope they have this again, because I definitely want some more! The new booth-

We needed to make our way to the front of the park, as I was signed up for a 2:45 Chef d'France wine & food demo. I had also been signed up for a 1:00 Liberty Tavern one, but skipped it since DH was with me (originally he was supposed to be golfing today and I was supposed to be on my own, but when he nixed the golf, I nixed LTT). We had time to ride MS on our way over. First, Pods stopped in front of the DVC kiosk where I stopped and asked the question, "How long does the tour take?" just 2 years ago. Here he is showing the $1 he has left after that little conversation occured-

We love that ride, and we always ride the more intense version, because that's all that was available the first time we rode, and we're fine on it. Always love a good flight to Mars!!

Next up...are these demos worth it and what exactly does a thimbleful of wine look like?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #185
podsnel

Chefs d'France F&W Champagne Debacle

So Pods went off to enjoy Ellen and her Universe of Energy (and maybe a nap!) while I headed for the festival center-

I was seated with some very nice people, while Pam the MC introduced the champagne chick. THEY drank from great big normal glasses of champagne, while we, the audience grunts, got to look on and save our teeny weeny sips to go with our food. Nice and classy.

The Chef was very charming- he told us he would be preparing escargot. He made it one way, we were given a recipe with a different escargot, and we were served the escargot made the way he prepared it. I think.

The escargot was very tasty, and i enjoyed the presentation which was over in maybe 20 minutes. I did NOT appreciate the teeny weeny itsy bitsy champagne pour, though- when you taste wine, there should be at LEAST enough to swish around in your mouth a couple of times- the first time, to acclimate your palate to the acidity of the wine, the next to actually taste what is in the glass. And if you then want to taste the wine with the food, that should be one more swish. This glass had maybe a little more than one swish worth. So you had to decide what to do- most of us took eensy weensy baby sips and pretended we could taste them. What a waste of time. I won't say there went 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back, because the food part of this was good. The champagne part looked like a really good time for the 3 people on the stage. C'mon, Disney. This isn't a freebie anymore- you're charging people- and we're happy to pay, but give us a little something in return!

ANyway, this was over much more quickly than expected- so when I called Pods and he was just out of his afternoon nap with the other Ellen, it was perfect! We headed back to WS for more fun!

I need to upload- see you soon!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #186
podsnel

A few more from F&W

We walked by some purty-purty flowers.

I love plumbago, I try to grow it at home as an annual, but it never grows well in my yard here in NJ. We stopped in Argentina and tried one of the GINORMOUS Beef Empanadas-

Then a taco with pickled onions (I think) from Mexico-

They were both good, I think we preferred the taco. I remember thinking the Mexico City booth looked pretty sturdy for a temporary structure-

I guess cause it was permanent. It was there when F&W closed in November as a Taqueria. Next, a stop in New Zealand for a Lamb Slider with Tomato Chutney-

This was more like a meatball than a slider. Not what we were expecting.

Then we went for the other dessert I was dying to try at the festival, the Praline Bread pudding with bourbon caramel sauce over in Nawlins- yummmmmmmmmmmm......

We were FULL! But not yet ready to leave, so we rode the boat across the lagoon and paid a visit to the 3 Cabelleros. On the way in, we peeked in the Ditch-

but a visit there would have to wait for May, because Pods doesn't like tequila and I was too full to drink a Rita. I KNOW! It STINKS!!

I really wanted to ride Soarin before we left the park, so that's where we went next (we had FPs).

Yay! It's Putty!

Back to BCV for a little shopping and to get the car-

Ahhhh...I can't wait for May! Hey look! It's our favorite Valet with the speedy white sneakers! I wonder if his sneakers are still white, being that they are probably getting NO USE since DVC lost free Valet parking...

By the way, i did ask, and all those guys just LOVE their sailor suits!!

Back soon with a quick stop at the Gurgling Suitcase!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #187
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Love the updates! We got a lot a laughter out of that sausage when we got it too.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #188
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Love the update and all the food pictures! Yum!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #189
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Yes, Pods was pacing outside by those flowers I took a picture of, counting the beans in his pocket and cursing out all women and their shopping habits. He was pretty happy when I came out- mostly because I dropped less than $50 in the store!

Ahhh...Jim is just like Pods! Makes Christmas shopping fun, doesn't it?

I think a wine lover is a wine-O...no, that's not right....well, technically it IS right, but a wine-O is not neccessarily a connoisseur...ok! I guess I'm a Whiney! Geez...maybe I'm BOTH!!
I like to think I'm a whiney, too! Though I'm not as knowledgable, so maybe that makes me a Wine-O?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #190
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

MMM yummy update! I can't believe they didn't give you enough of a taste at the wine tasting - if they're trying to sell it they shouldn't underwhelm everyone. Oh the SAILOR SUIT - I'll bet that's the job all the college boys want!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #191
FormrCastMbr
DIS Veteran

Hi Ellen! I just found this...I only looked at the pics so far (page 1 and 2) and will come back to read later. Looks like fun was had! I must visit Vero!!! Hope all is well.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #192
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Scrumptious update Ellen !!!!One of these years I will make it to F &W Fest!!!! My Feb plans are really shaping up!!! Check them out !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 12-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #193
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Ok, first of all....

ME TOO! You just can't help but touch it, it's giant!!

You're pictures in Mexico came out so fantastic! I think that might be my favorite place in all of WDW. The day we got back from our cruise, we spent one last day in Epcot and we were just so happy to be back, we spent probably 1/2 hour just sitting near that fountain, soaking it all in.

So what do you mean that Mexico City stand is permanent? What are they doin/selling there?

(AND, have you read my recent update to my TR? I didn't update on the actual trip, but your notice of the "lady with no clue" in my Test Track picture inspired me to write a song.....)
Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #194
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Hi Ellen got your pm!!! Can't wait to chat!!!!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 12-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #195
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Teal"]

I'm not sure which one Pods is going to pick up - the GGS or the bottle! That is a great looking bottle. Whenever I see one in the liquor store I immediately want to buy Grey Goose.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but this is too funny. Denny had the history channel on last night and they were showing phallic pictures that the Egyptians wrote on papyrus. I am noticing the similarities. Apparently, this was a common Egyptian past time. hmmmm....wonder why they don't have THOSE pictures in Spaceship Earth?

More great updates Ellen. You are really getting to sample a good assortment of the F & W cuisine. I love your pictures!!!!! Yum Yum!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: