Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #151
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Your latest updates are so funny. Pods turning into an 85 yr old right before your eyes. It's obvious you were so disappointed, but I'm glad he redeemed himself. And your Illuminations dilema. You have to try the spot over near Norway. Worked for me two trips in a row. Really don't have to get over there until last minute.

Oh well....I want to comment more, but have to keep it short. On my way out.

Cant wait to hear about V&A and the spa treatment sounds relaxing.
Thanks ME for the Norway tip!! I will do my BEST to position myself there at 8:59 on my next visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAFan0829 View Post
Hi, Ellen! I just stumbled across your TR, and of course I had to join in!! I loved reading about Vero and seeing all the pics. Before reading this, I never would have thought that VB was someplace that I might like to visit, but of course you changed my mind. I must admit, I am totally jealous of all your travels!!
OKW sounds so nice! Can't wait to read more!
So glad you stopped by! I've been enjoying your cruise TR! Vero is where I want to go after our next cruise- sooooo relaxing and low key. PERFECT post cruise, I'm hopeing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Your spa/pool day sounds wonderful, and you haven't even gotten to dinner yet! I'm looking forward to hearing about that!
well, I can tell you that...it will be up soon! I just finished uploading all the pics to photobucket...wow! i just love looking at them!!! So it should be fun to write about and share with all of you- but I AM cooking Thanksgivng, and I AM one to go a little overboard foodwise...so it might have to wait until Friday (when I'm in a pumpkin pie/cooking coma). But hang in there ( I hope everyone is!) and I'll finish it up soon!

Ellen
Old 11-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #152
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Awww....thanks, Myst! Ya made me feel all special and stuff.

And ...what do you mean "when there is nothing new?" As in...I'm NOT on vacation every 10 minutes???? Bite your tongue!!! That is just too awful to think about!!! I have plenty of vacations planned for 2010- St John in January with our friends, Skiing in the poconos Presidents weekend, WDW Apr/May with the crazy DISmoms, A weekend in NYC in May, Washington, DC followed by Pigeon Forge Log Cabin Family vacay in August, WDW with Pods in Sept and WDW in OCT/DCL Western Oct 30th/ 1 night in Vero when we return. See? LOADS to look forward to!!!
You're right. What was I thinking?! Looking forward to reading about all of those adventures too.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #153
podsnel

Why it's WORTH IT to make your Hubby lug a suit and tie to WDW- V&A's at LAST!

In case I haven't been clear, I really, REALLY like food. I'm a foodie. I just LOVE it. I love to cook it, and I love to eat it. And I will try anything....pretty much. SO this dinner we were going to at V&A's? I'd been dying to go here FOREVER. But, it's not somewhere you go with your kids (under 10 year olds are not even allowed in), so this was a place we had never tried. Until now. Tonight we were going to see exactly what all the fuss is about.

And can I just say, even all the fuss about it doesn't come CLOSE to how spectacular V&A's is. We arrived for our 5:30 ADR (just the one seating at this time of year on this night) and were seated by the most wonderful CM- her name is Diane. I think they should have Diane's picture up all over the backstage areas at WDW with a sign saying "If you try REALLY, REALLY hard, one day YOU might be almost as good as Diane". She was just....awesome. They all were there, but I guess i really just liked Diane alot. Because when she seated us (and she SEATS you- she pushes that chair under your butt so strongly you have no choice but to SIT DOWN!) she said, "Please, take photos. Please take as many photos as you would like, it's ok with us." Just what I needed to hear!

The personalized menus are waiting on the plate in front of you like a precious gift waiting to be opened.

We decided to order different plates for every course so that we could try as much as possible. And of COURSE, we would be doing the wine pairing! One of the things we noticed as we went down the list of items was that Pods & i had different menus...because when they had called us a week or so prior, I had mentioned DH doesn't like melon or bananas- so of course, all melons and bananas were removed from his menu, i suppose so his eyes would not be offended by these heinous fruits!

We were poured a glass of Pommery Royal Brut NV, and served the amuse bouche- and yes, my bouche was once again amused, thank-you very much! This was 4 different dishes using tomatoes-

I apologize, i did not write down exactly what each offering was, and just this one is not on the menu. But I believe the top left was with feta or goat and pignoli with dried tomatoes, the egg held the most AMAZING tomato custard (it was heavenly), the one below that was a tomato sorbet, and the bottom left was tomato carpaccio with mozzerella. I think. (Sorry). Before the 1st course, i asked if someone would be able to take our picture- and who out of the 3 of them was the best photographer. Both Bill & Ann (our two exceptional servers) said DIANE! without hesitation. So Diane runs over and starts telling us how to pose, moving things on the table to get it just right- she was hysterical!!

One like this...

Ok, now please toast with your glasses...

Just one more toast from this angle please...

Then she said when we were done she would come back at the end because we HAD to pose in front of the flowers, etc. This woman REALLY loves her job, she was sooooo into it! We were served the first bread, an absolutely perfect baguette with the sweetest, creamiest butter-

DH- Prosciutto Wrapped Gulf Shrimp with Jamon Iberico (and no melon) served with Maximin Grunhauser Reisling Kabinett Abtsberg, Mosel 2007

I had Seame Crusted Big Eye Tuna with tat soi Salad and Tamari honey foam, paired with Marcel Deiss Pinot blanc Bergheim, Alsace 2005-

The sesame tuna was so pretty-

Next, Pods had Alaskan halibut with Zellwood Corn & Bamboo Rice Ragout, paired with Langtry Sauvignon Blanc Guenoc Valley Estate 2007-

I was having White king Salmon with California Asparagus, Crab & Sauce Bernaise, with Chimay Ale Peres Trappistes, Belgium. Yea, that's right, I was havin' a beer.

Bill told us white salmon is very, very rare, that the reason the fish is white is because of what it chooses to eat. I felt so lucky to be trying it. And it tasted very different from regular pink salmon, it was more delicately flavored. More bread, an herb bread served with an herb butter, i believe-

Cont'd next post...

Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #154
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Sneaking in a .......
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #155
podsnel

Why it's WORTH IT to make your Hubby lug a suit and tie to WDW- V&A's at LAST! Cont'd

Next came the poultry course- I was having Poulet Rouge with mushroom Truffle Ragout, English Peas and Yellow Chanterelles, and an Apollo-Falter Spatburgunder Rheinhessen 2007-

Pods went with Duck breast, sausage and confit with Salsify, Cherry Sauce and Acacia "Winery Lake Vineyard" Pinot Noir, Carneros 2006

Sorry, Donald. I know we promised not to, but you duckies just taste so darn good!

The final bread, a grainy one-

And it's special butter, that i can't recall-

Ann brought us our main course-

Pods-Niman Ranch Lamb with fall vegetables and Celery Root, and Castillo Perelada La Garriga Samso, California 2005

And THIS creation- the potato basket- I think EVERY plate should have one- it was beautiful, of course, but it was also so crispy and so not greasy- incredible-

So cute! I had Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin and Belly with Baby Beets and Sherry Bacon Vinaigrette. It was paired with Trinitas "Old Vine" Zinfandel, Contra Costa County 2005. This is why I chose this over the veal tenderloin- I LOVE Old Vine Zin!

Now it was time for coffee, cheese, and dessert. Like we had any room left for this! The coffee is very special- It is "Celebes" coffee, and it is made in a very special apparatus which Bill explained creates a vacuum and makes the coffee. I was fascinated, really!

The coffee grounds are on top, the water on the bottom, the flame underneath-

As the water heats, the vacuum created pulls the water up to the coffee grounds-

Then it goes back down-

And the very skilled server. Bill, pours it for you. Kids! Don't try this at home!

While all this was going on, we were enjoying some cheese- Colston Bassett Stilton, Coach Farms Goat, 36 mo aged Parmiggiano-Reggiano and Thomasville Tomme. Paired with Quita do Crasto Late Bottled Vintage Porto 2002-

For dessert, the Tanzanian Chocolate Pyramid, Hawaii Kona Chocolate Souffle and Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream and Puff Pastry.

Chocolate Eyelashes- WOW!!

See the little gold leaf on top?

Cont'd next post- too many pics!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #156
podsnel

V&A's cont'd

We were soooo full...it was nearly impossible to fit this in! We were also served little Friandise, which they packed up in a little box and we ate at home. They put the little box in a black bag, along with our menus and a rose for me, and it was time to say good night to V&A's.

Sadly, our friend Diane was no where to be found when we made our exit- so no Good-bye and no pics in front of the flowers. (It's ok- we'll see her again at some point....).

Dinner at V&A's is absolutely incredible- very expensive, but really one-of-a-kind (and a TIW card helps!). We have had the opportunity to go to some very fine restaurants in our lifetime, being that we live a stone's throw from NYC. This was right up there with the best of them, but actually a bit better- because of the service. The staff at V&A's has been working together for years and years, and they are serving very high end food in a very friendly manner. They are not at ALL condescending, and THAT is something that very often goes hand-in-hand with high end restaurants, unfortunately. We so enjoyed our dinner, everything was perfect- even the harpist who plays throughout the meal (the Beach Boys, no less! When's the last time you heard T-Bird played on a harp?) was just perfection. I am so glad we decided to go!!

Up next- where do we go from here? Let's "ride the rail!"
Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #157
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

WOW !!! That's about all I have to say !! Yes you have rendered Rosie speechless!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 11-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #158
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Sneaking in a .......
Thanks Kathy!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #159
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
WOW !!! That's about all I have to say !! Yes you have rendered Rosie speechless!!!!
Well, there's a first for everything!! J/K!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #160
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Well, there's a first for everything!! J/K!
Didn't last long !!!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 11-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #161
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Your V&A meal looks amazing! I'm glad you weren't disappointed. Too bad Diane wasn't there for a final pic.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #162
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Not adventurous enough an eater for V&A's myself but it LOOKS so good!! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it all. Really happy to hear it didn't feel snobbish either.

Now I can tell friends who are adventurous eaters that Ellen says it's cool and if Ellen says so then it is.

Chef's table next time?
Old 11-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #163
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Your V&A meal looked incredible! Maybe one day, if we win the lottery...
Old 11-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #164
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

my stomach about exploded when I saw how much food you had. Really if you think about it per course it isn't that expensive. How much wine is poured with each paring? I think if I had that many glasses I would be riding the monorail indefinately.

Happy birthday!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #165
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Wow, I was in foodie heaven reading your posts! Someday, Tom and I will do this! How long does the meal take from the time you're seated?

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: