Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

It’s a “Wonder” I survived Trip Report: Day 1 - DHS, ESPN & “Dude, where’s my car?"

The cast:
Me – Disney obsessed, Shopaholic & extremely clumsy (more on that later).
Lee (DH) – aka the Mad Hatter….you’ll soon see why.

8th September 2009 = Day 1

I woke about up about 4am….don’t you just hate that! As I lay in bed slowly waking up it dawned on me at how much pain I was in, my left ankle and knee were very sore and my right elbow and shoulder ached, I couldn’t straighten my arm – I guess I jarred them when I put my hands out to break my fall.

Lee woke soon after and we just watched tv in bed for a while, I dozed off again for about half hour. When I woke again I rolled over to see Lee standing on the other bed he then proceeded to do his best impression of me doing the worm! It was so funny I was crying with laughter.

We got showered and ready then headed to the bus stop about 8.30, we didn’t have to wait long for the Hollywood Studios bus.

The main entrance at OKW...

We got in to the park around 9.15am, Lee ran off to grab some Toy Story Mania fastpasses whilst I slowly walked up taking a few photos along the way……

Lee came back with the FP’s for between 11.15 and 12.15. We were a little hungry so stopped off at Starring Rolls and got a very yummy Cinnamon Roll and bottle of water to share.

We walked down to Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror both were showing 25 minute wait times, due to my aches and pains I decided to opt out for today and Lee couldn’t be bothered to wait on his own so I snapped a few pics.

We looked in the shops…..it was so hot today, mid 90’s and very humid and was very nice to be in the air conditioned shops for a while, I bought a Tinkerbell jumper and some pins – which I had sent to the resort, I love this service and have used it many many times! We decided to go and see American Idol as we skipped this in December, so we went in to the 11am show. It was ok, the judges were very cheesey.

When we came out we walked over to Toy Story Mania and used our Fastpasses. I love this ride, it is so much fun….I could stay on it all day long. (The TSM Wii game was waiting on our doormat when we got home, it’s great fun! ) Lee won as always, he scored 161,200 compared to my pathetic 96,900.

As we walked past they were just starting the Jedi training academy, we haven’t seen this before so we stopped to watch for a while….I loved the little kids faces they were getting so in to it.

Lee was hungry and fancied trying a turkey leg so we walked back down Sunset Boulevard.

Yuck!!!! I tried a little bit but didn’t like it, it was very salty and fatty, Lee threw most of it away.

Cont'd below....

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

We headed over to watch Indiana Jones grabbing a blue raspberry slushie on the way. It cooled us down a little – it was so hot hot hot today! Indie was great as always.

After the show we popped into the little Christmas shop…..you’ll be shocked to hear that I never bought anything! Don’t worry I was just saving myself for the big Christmas one at DTD. We then decided to leave the park as it was so hot and my ankle was hurting.....my prickly heat rash was also starting to make an appearance. We left the park and got the boat over to the Boardwalk then decided to try ESPN for some lunch. Lee had a half rack of ribs and fries, I had the angus chuck bacon cheeseburger with fries.

For dessert Lee had lemon meringue pie……

I had rocky road cake….

Both mains were ok but I didn’t like my dessert, the sponge was very dry. We used 1 x table service credit each + tip.

Afterwards we walked over to the Dolphin….stopping in the shops on the Boardwalk along the way, I bought a few things I can’t remember what but I will post some pics of some of the stuff I bought in a later thread. We were due to pick the rental car up from the Alamo desk in the Dolphin at 4pm (booked through USrentacar), we arrived at 4.10pm and there was no one there? I found someone at another desk nearby, I think it was a Disney tour desk and she told me that they close at 4pm!!!! I was so mad as we were not informed when we booked the car online, if I knew I wouldn't have been late. Anyway the woman suggested I call the car care centre and kindly called the number for me on the hotel phone. I explained to them what had happened and they said we could go over there and collect our car, I refused to pay for a taxi so they agreed to come and collect us at 5pm.

We sat in the hotel lobby until they collected us. Whilst we were sorting out the paperwork the heavens opened and it absolutely chucked it down. We were given the keys and our car was pretty much in the furthest bay possible we waited for about 5 minutes but the rain wasn’t letting up so I hobbled across the car park to find our heap of…..car. We were drenched through.

I am being slighty mean with that comment, the car was ok just not what I was expecting but I couldn’t remember exactly what I had booked. Looking at the paperwork later on in the week I had paid for a Intermediate Sports Utility A/C - Chevrolet Equinox or Similar. Anyway I couldn’t be bothered to call up and query it so just made do.

I drove back to OKW to rest up for a while and wait for the rain to stop. We watched tv for an hour or so then headed off to Publix to stock up on the essentials….wine, cherry coke, water, salt & vinegar lays, chips ahoy cookies, krispy kremes to name a few. We had a trolley full, I can’t remember everything but we had loads. I must admit it was very handy parking right outside our room with all the shopping.

We unpacked, stocked the fridge then relaxed watching tv, I think I fell asleep about 10pm.

Coming soon – Day 2: Epcot, Chefs de France, Magic Kingdom and a surprise for Lee….

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
CustardTart

I am sooo proud, happy, relieved and impressed - it's a great day...

What a mix-up with the car hire!!! I usually pick up from the Dolphin and have been always been informed that the office there closes at 4pm...

BTW that's also my preferred car category (I like to drive something high up) and it is quite variable. This time we had a Dodge Nitro which actually was a smallish SUV but have had a Chevrolet Equinox, a Dodge Grand Caravan and a Toyota Sienna in the past...

Lovely photos as usual - I really love the Indy ones...

Hope your injuries from your fall don't continue to affect your trip too much, hun!!!

Meant to say that turkey legs are one of the mysteries of WDW as far as we're concerned - they just seem to beg the question "WHY???!!!???"
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - Christmas 1998 * Dolphin/Vero Beach - Easter 2000 * Polynesian - August 2001 * Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - August 2004 * Beach Club/DCL Wonder - May 2005 * Grand Californian Hotel - NYE 2005 * Polynesian - August 2006 * DCL Magic Western Caribbean - September 2007 * Yacht Club - October 2007 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - December 2007 * Villas at Wilderness Lodge/DCL Wonder Double Dip - May 2008 * DCL Magic Mexican Riviera/Disneyland Hotel - August 2008 * Boardwalk Villas - October 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas/Hard Rock Hotel Club - Easter 2009 * Bay Lake Tower/DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean & Tortola/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - September 2009 * Bay Lake Tower - June 2010 * DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic - September 2010 * Old Key West - October 2010 * Sequoia Lodge/Paris - November 2010 * Boardwalk Villas/DCL Dream Inaugural Cruise - January 2011 * Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa/Villas at Wilderness Lodge - November 2011 * Boardwalk Villas - July 2012 * Animal Kingdom Villas/DCL Fantasy Western Caribbean - November 2012 * Boardwalk Villas/Bay Lake Tower - January 2014...
CustardTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

A great day with lovely photos too

That Rocky Road Cake looks delish, shame it was dry though

I'm another one who can't figure out the turkey legs they even smell disgusting

I hope your injuries are feeling better the next day, and I look forward to your next installment

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
tazlikesrobots
Mouseketeer

Very nice photos! Thanks for sharing
tazlikesrobots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

I'm not even sure what a turkey leg is

Hope your ankle improved over the course of the trip
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Hope your injuries don't affect the holiday

Some wonderful photographs today

Have to agree with others turkey legs just looked plain greedy

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great pics
Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side

Thanks for reading guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustardTart View Post
What a mix-up with the car hire!!! I usually pick up from the Dolphin and have been always been informed that the office there closes at 4pm...

BTW that's also my preferred car category (I like to drive something high up) and it is quite variable. This time we had a Dodge Nitro which actually was a smallish SUV but have had a Chevrolet Equinox, a Dodge Grand Caravan and a Toyota Sienna in the past...

Lovely photos as usual - I really love the Indy ones...

Hope your injuries from your fall don't continue to affect your trip too much, hun!!!

Meant to say that turkey legs are one of the mysteries of WDW as far as we're concerned - they just seem to beg the question "WHY???!!!???"

I was really annoyed that I wasn't notified they close at 4pm. I remember when I booking it that I could select anytime, if I had selected 5pm I wonder if it would have told me then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
A great day with lovely photos too

That Rocky Road Cake looks delish, shame it was dry though

I hope your injuries are feeling better the next day, and I look forward to your next installment
I agree Mandy the cake looks yummy in the piccie. Never mind we ate lots of scrummy food during the trip.

Hopefully i'll have the next day up tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
Hope your injuries don't affect the holiday

Some wonderful photographs today

Have to agree with others turkey legs just looked plain greedy
Thanks Reid.

I was curious about the turkey legs as I had read so much love/hate comments on here, I knew I wouldn't like it but thought Lee would so he decided to give it a try.....never again!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

great report, sorry your injuries slowed you down today

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:05 AM   #11
cap'njack.
Totally in love with Lisa_C

A great day with lovely photos
Old 10-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I must remember that about the car hire place. I must also remember to book it at some point.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
raph_b
Proud Redhead

Great first day Claire - and well done for staying on your feet all day

I am also in the 'don't understand the turkey legs' club - even more so after hearing what you had to say about them!

I forgot how amazing your pictures always are - can't wait to see more

Your dessert at ESPN looks and sounds amazing - shame it doesnt live up to the hype

"wine, cherry coke, water, salt & vinegar lays, chips ahoy cookies, krispy kremes to name a few"

Thats my kind of essentials!!! You just missed out the peanut butter m&ms and the mountain dew!
Feb 1999 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge (4 nights)
May 2007 - DLRP - Daytrip
Sep 2008 - WDW - Offsite (2 weeks)
Mar 2009 - DLRP - Hotel New York (3 nights)
Nov 2009 - DLHK - Daytrip
Sep 2010 - WDW - Last trip before its time to have babies!

Thank you O' great Tag Fairy - You have made this Proud Redhead a very happy bunny!!
raph_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #14
wideeyes
Won't use fake tan, wants to stay pale & interesting
Does not do sea food

Great photo's they just make me want to be there.

How stupid having AI at WDW.
wideeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
It's the smell that gets me. How can anyone eat anything that smells so foul?
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: