Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #31
alboq
Mouseketeer

I've been lurking around. But you know I'm in. Anybody that puts me in a report has my attention.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #32
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alboq View Post
I've been lurking around. But you know I'm in. Anybody that puts me in a report has my attention.
Thanks for finally popping in!

Brave teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #33
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

Not so much of an update for the trip as it is an update from real life. As I mentioned previously, I am a high school teacher. This week has been the most difficult week as a teacher I have ever experienced.

I received a phone call SUnday afternoon while I was watching football with my DH and his friends. I was told that 4 students from my school were in a horrible car accident early that morning. Two of them were my students. There were five total boys in the car, and four of them died on impact. The fifth one needed to be transferred to New Orleans because of a severe brain injury.

Needless to say, going to work on Monday was the most difficult moment in my teaching career. I had never experienced a moment when I woul enter a classroom knowing that the student who sits in the desk in the middle of the room will never come back. It was so difficult going into the class and having the empty desk. It was such a sad moment.

I sadly found out today that the parents of the only survivor removed him from life support since the injury to his brain was so severe he would never be able to recover. He was declared brain dead.

Part of the saddest piece of this story is that all the boys were cousins, but there were two sets of brothers. Two mothers and fathers each lost two sons in one moment.

Well, the funerals start tomorrow, and I am still unsure if I will attend the wake for a moment to pay my respects to the students who will not return to my classroom.

I hope I never have to go through this again.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #34
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Oh my goodness, that is horrible! I am a teacher too and can't imagine ever having something like that happen.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #35
topdog
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear about the death of your students and their cousins.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #36
Coach81
DIS Veteran

Had to be tough... so tragic..
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #37
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Oh my goodness, that is horrible! I am a teacher too and can't imagine ever having something like that happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
So sorry to hear about the death of your students and their cousins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach81 View Post
Had to be tough... so tragic..
Thanks everyone. It has been a rough time. I decided to not go to the funerals. I stayed at school today to be with the students who were unable to go.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #38
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

What time do we leave?

After all the sadnees I have had this week, I think it is time to post something good. Here's the next update.

The second question that comes up for us always deals with our time of departure. We like to drive to WDW because we are there in about 10-11 hours and it gives us a vehicle to use on site. I hate to bus hop from resort to park to resort to get to our restaurant. This way we are able to drive straight to our dining destination within a few minutes. We have left at 4 AM in the past and get there right around check-in time. This past summer we left at midnight. It wasn’t my favorite departure time. We got to Kidani around lunch time, but our room was not ready. We did eat lunch at Mara, and our room was ready by the time we finished. Bryan was exhausted from staying up all night (he could not get comfortable in the truck), and all the boys wanted to do was try out the new pool. We decided that midnight was not the time for us again.

Right now the tentative plan is to leave on May 21st. My records day at school is on that day, so I figured we leave after Bryan gets off of work. Hopefully, he is able to get away a bit earlier in the day. We plan to drive until 11 or so if we leave around 5. If we leave around 3 when I get out of school, we plan to drive until we are about an hour or two outside of WDW. We would be at the parks before lunch time, and we get an extra day in the parks. The kink in this plan, however, is that Bryan is not completely on board with this yet. He is still hoping for 4 AM.

Next update - our tentative plans...

Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #39
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

My heart goes out to you and to the parents of the boys. I can't imagine being in that situation. My prayers are with you and the boys families.

Now, on to transporation. I vote for your idea. Leaving sooner is always better, no question!

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
disneyaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #40
Coach81
DIS Veteran

Your hubby needs to be a sol-ja like me.. I drove all night (left at midnight), and then with NO NAP, I went straight through the next day.. and stayed up to watch "Up" in 3D with the family at 6 pm!!! Tell Bryan I said he's just got to learn to suck it up!!!!
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #41
elizablake
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your pre-trip report. You're family is beautiful! We have a Kindergartener also and we are planning a trip for next June. I'm excited to read your plans and see how your trip comes together.

By the way, we have left at 2:00 AM (arrive 10:00 AM) and also 8:00 PM (arrive 6:00 AM after stopping for a few hours) and those overnight trips are exhausting. I vote for leaving as early as possible in the afternoon and stopping at a hotel to sleep in a real bed. You and the boys will rest much better.
elizablake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #42
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyaddicted View Post
My heart goes out to you and to the parents of the boys. I can't imagine being in that situation. My prayers are with you and the boys families.

Now, on to transporation. I vote for your idea. Leaving sooner is always better, no question!
Thanks for your sympathies. It has certainly been a sad week at school. We really need something up lifting for these kids next week.

I agree - leave earlier. Still working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach81 View Post
Your hubby needs to be a sol-ja like me.. I drove all night (left at midnight), and then with NO NAP, I went straight through the next day.. and stayed up to watch "Up" in 3D with the family at 6 pm!!! Tell Bryan I said he's just got to learn to suck it up!!!!
I can't blame him. He play pool on Thursday nights remember. He gets home after midnight. He had to get up to be at work the next morning. He had only had about4 hours of sleep but had stayed awake over 24 hours. He couldn't nap or try to sleep late like your or I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizablake View Post
I'm really enjoying your pre-trip report. You're family is beautiful! We have a Kindergartener also and we are planning a trip for next June. I'm excited to read your plans and see how your trip comes together.

By the way, we have left at 2:00 AM (arrive 10:00 AM) and also 8:00 PM (arrive 6:00 AM after stopping for a few hours) and those overnight trips are exhausting. I vote for leaving as early as possible in the afternoon and stopping at a hotel to sleep in a real bed. You and the boys will rest much better.
Hey, Thanks for joining. I found your PTR as well. I look forward to reading your plans as well.

It is rough trying to get a good night's sleep in a vehicle, especially if you do not sleep well in a car. Bryan is just having problems with my plan because he does not want to spend the money to stay in a hotel room for one night. He doesn't want to stay awake the rest of the day to go to the parks. I'll get him to come around eventually. I always do.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #43
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

So, it's date night tonight! Bryan and I are going out this evening with Coach81 and his wife alboq and another couple. We are going to eat at a Thai restaurant that Bryan and I love. Coach81 and alboq are trying out Sanaa on their next trip and want to get a feel for Thai food before going. Afterwards, we are going watch Couples Retreat. We are looking forward to the night out.

Tomorrow, my mother, sister, and I are taking Sam, Cooper, and my godchild to New Orleans to watch the Imagination Movers Live in Concert. We are all looking forward to it. Gotta support the state. I love that all four of them are from Louisiana. We'll be sure to take plenty of pictures to share. Randy, have fun over here watching football without the kids.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #44
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

Date night was a lot of fun. Couples Retreat was very funny. My goodness I haven't laughed at a movie that hard in some time. We thought the food was great as usual. I think Randy liked. Alisa, not so much...

Well, we are heading to see the Imagination Movers today in New Orleans. The boys are super excited to go and woke up around 7-7:30 this morning saying they were ready to go. Too bad we are not leaving until 12:30...The boys are very restless. They are asking every 10 minutes are so when Mimi will be here because they are tired of waiting.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #45
Brave teacher
DIS Veteran

Imagination Movers Concert

So, mymom, sister, and godchild all got here today around 12:35 with their lunch. This meant the boys had to wait for them to eat before we could leave to go to the concert. We were out of my driveway by 1. We got to UNO just as they were letting people into the arena, right around 2. We brought everyone straight to the bathroom, and then we joined the mass of people to buy souvies. All my boys wanted were the light sticks. Luckily, a man from the stand came out into the crowd to sel LIGHT STICKS! That just cut my time. My mom got all the kids some cotton candy, and I got a couple of drinks. We found our seats and waited about 40 minutes before the show started.

Once the show started, I thought Sam would jump out of his skin. He was so excited to see them. The boys kept thinking we were going watch a movie of the Movers. It didn't help the explanation when we sat down, and they were playing some scenes from the Imagination Movers on the screen. My boys were perfectly content with that!

All in all, it was a great day! We had a great time and had a great dinner eating at one of my favorite restaurants in New Orleans - Zea's. Feel that Randy! I had some grits!!!!

I have included some pictures of the boys from the show and a video of the opening. You can actually here Sam in the video screaming "I SEE THEM! I SEE THEM!" I am so happy that I could make my boys so happy and excited today.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: