Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Thumbs up Roasted Garlic & Oil

I just figured out the best way to roast garlic. I was getting really frustrated because every time I tried to do it I would either burn or under cook the cloves. This way is fool proof and you end up with wonderful garlic oil in the process.

Put peeled garlic cloves (in a single layer) in a small oven-proof baking dish and add olive oil just to cover. Bake at 325° until the cloves turn a light golden brown. To make sure they're done, test by sticking a fork in the largest clove. It should be very soft. All ovens are different, so start checking after 25 minutes.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

Peeling the garlic seems like a lot of work to me...as well as being smelly. The original directions I copied said to bake, covered at 400 for 23 - 35 minutes - but my oven is weird above 375. So I also do mine at 325 & let them sit there for more like an hour. I've never had them burn. The one thing I object to is all the oil this uses!! It just seems like sooooo much!! I have already wrapped each garlic bulb (minus the dry outer layers) in foil & just sprayed with the Misto. This worked really well too.

Do you store yours in the freezer? Or just make what you'll use that day? I keep a container in the freezer once I've popped the cloves out of the now soggy shell. LOL It's great to have them on hand for mashed potatoes or leftover angel as a side...garlic & oil.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post
Peeling the garlic seems like a lot of work to me...as well as being smelly. The original directions I copied said to bake, covered at 400 for 23 - 35 minutes - but my oven is weird above 375. So I also do mine at 325 & let them sit there for more like an hour. I've never had them burn. The one thing I object to is all the oil this uses!! It just seems like sooooo much!! I have already wrapped each garlic bulb (minus the dry outer layers) in foil & just sprayed with the Misto. This worked really well too.

Do you store yours in the freezer? Or just make what you'll use that day? I keep a container in the freezer once I've popped the cloves out of the now soggy shell. LOL It's great to have them on hand for mashed potatoes or leftover angel as a side...garlic & oil.
Yes, I guess it would be a lot of work to peel all the cloves. That's why I cheat. When I know I'm going to need roasted garlic and/or garlic oil for a recipe I buy a container of the already peeled cloves.

I use a very small baking dish, so I don't use that much oil, only about a 1/3 cup. I always use up the oil very quickly anyway. It's great to add herbs to and use as a dipping oil for bread.

I haven't tried freezing it yet. I have always used up what I've roasted within a week.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

I've never had a problem roasting the garlic. Just cut off a bit of the top, drizzle with some EVOO and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Roast at 375 or 400 until softened (tooth pick goes easily into the cloves). Then just squeeze out.
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead
What ever ya do try it, you wont be disappointed

I love this recipe and done it many times.The lesser of EVOO the better.I use A pinch of tarrogon and A sprig of fresh rosemarry.Excllent for dipping or spread on french bread with REAL butter for great garlic bread!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
piratesmate

You know...I feel like a real dunce about now! Tell me you're saving the oil used for roasting the garlic & dipping your bread in it!?!?!? LOL Sometimes I'm so dumb! Oh DH is going to love this!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead
What ever ya do try it, you wont be disappointed

Quote:
You know...I feel like a real dunce about now! Tell me you're saving the oil used for roasting the garlic & dipping your bread in it!?!?!? LOL Sometimes I'm so dumb! Oh DH is going to love this!
The oil will be infused with the garlic.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
piratesmate

I've been throwing the oil away.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Zandy595
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been throwing the oil away.
Nooooooooooooooo! LOL Don't throw the oil away, it's so good. I use it for so many things. I've sauteed shrimp and chicken in it, used it in hummus and of course for dipping fresh baked bread. You can use it in any recipe that calls for olive oil and garlic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: