Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
texaslonestar
Mouseketeer

Is an early walk up even possible during free dining?

So I'm leaving Wednesday night to go to the world. My mom and I thought we had ADRs for Thursday, but I guess we never made them - we've got them for the rest of the week. We will be at Studios on Thrusday and wanted Sci Fi. Would it be possible to just walk up for lunch or dinner that day? I can't find anything for that restaurant for that day, but we are really flexible on times. Just wanted the advice of all the smart disers! Thanks for your help!
texaslonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
TillyMarigold
DIS Veteran

We got to Sci Fi a little before noon last Saturday, and there was only a 15 minute wait for walk-ups.

However, if you walk up, you are not guaranteed a car, and you probably won't get one--they will seat you in the "picnic area" at the back.
TillyMarigold is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
TJA
DIS Veteran

I would say your chances may be the greatest if you get to SciFi right when it opens. Sometimes if there are no-shows for the very first seatings they will take the walk-ups. I agree with the above poster about possibly not getting a car if you walk-up as this did happen to us. As long as you know that ahead of time and don't mind, you will be fine. We have young kids who had their hearts set on a car, so we passed on the offer and went to 50's Prime Time instead.

Good luck!
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
texaslonestar
Mouseketeer

Thank you both so much!
texaslonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

We just came back 2 weeks ago and went to SciFi for lunch. We really wanted dinner but couldn't get an ADR. The entire time we were there I would say it was only a little more than half full. Which was odd since I even tried to get a later lunch ADR and couldn't. We were there for a 12:15pm. When we were walking out there were several families waiting and it made no sense. There were lots of empty tables.

So I would absolutely try a walk in. Just don't do it at a peak time like 6pm. In the mean time keep trying for the ADR.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
AJA
DIS Veteran

We got in to Sci-Fi as walk ups last year during free dining.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If there's only the two of you, there's a possibility you can get in as a "hitchhiker" (take up an empty seat in a car with a party that doesn't fill up the car).
Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
devonsmommy
DIS Veteran

I also witnessed walk ups (3 in a row) at Sci Fi right around noon last Wednesday.

Also, someone was able to score a walk up at Akershus around 8:45 a.m. for 6 people! I couldn't believe it! I don't know how they even got through the front gate.

I would also suggest going to the concierge desk and seeing if they can check what is available, even if it's the same day. They even called the podium at one place for us. We canceled 2 things while we were down there.

COME READ MY TRIP REPORT! Girls Gone Wild 5/4-5/11 or my DINING REPORT! 5/4-5/11 w/ lots of pics!

8/15-24/13 DINING REPORT

October 2014--Wonder!
May 2014--OKW
August 2013--Polynesian, October 2012--Old Key West, May 2012--Animal Kingdom Lodge/Expedition Everest!, March 2012--Disney Magic!, Feb. 2012--Pop, Dec. 2010--Contemporary/Pop, Sept. 2009--Pop, Sept. 2008--POR, June 2004--Vistana
And many trips before!
devonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Jeanieblue114
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
We just came back 2 weeks ago and went to SciFi for lunch. We really wanted dinner but couldn't get an ADR. The entire time we were there I would say it was only a little more than half full. Which was odd since I even tried to get a later lunch ADR and couldn't. We were there for a 12:15pm. When we were walking out there were several families waiting and it made no sense. There were lots of empty tables.

So I would absolutely try a walk in. Just don't do it at a peak time like 6pm. In the mean time keep trying for the ADR.
I have questioned other restaurants about this happening. I get there and wait and go in and the place is empty.
What I have been told by the management at other places is that they had limited numbers of servers or kitchen staff at the time and could not accommodate full capacity in the restaurant.
So, I guess instead of making you sit in the restaurant and wonder why you aren't getting good service, they make you sit in the lobby and wait until you can be 'properly' served inside.
Seems logical...I guess.
2003 Disney's Hilton Head Resort
2004 Disneyworld Good Neighbor Hotel
2004 Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel
2005-2008 Disneyworld Good Neighbor Hotel Annually
July 2009 3 Nights Disney Good Neighbor
Sept-Oct 2009 5 Nights Disney's Old Key West
Feb-March 2010 Disney's Hilton Head Resort +1 month off-property
July Weekend off-property
September 2010 Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas-Jambo
December 2010 Disney's Old Key West Villas
Jeanieblue114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #10
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

When you check in, why not go to the lobby concierge and ask for an adr? You might actually be able to get one, and not have to wonder where you're going to eat!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #11
bomzar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanieblue114 View Post
I have questioned other restaurants about this happening. I get there and wait and go in and the place is empty.
What I have been told by the management at other places is that they had limited numbers of servers or kitchen staff at the time and could not accommodate full capacity in the restaurant.
So, I guess instead of making you sit in the restaurant and wonder why you aren't getting good service, they make you sit in the lobby and wait until you can be 'properly' served inside.
Seems logical...I guess.
Union rules that's why. Each server is only allowed to have xx number of guests at a time. If management gives them more then that number, they can get into trouble. Philosophy behind that is that if the server has more then xx guests, the quality of service isn't what it's supposed to be.
bomzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: