Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

If you're a cookbook collector, you can always try Amazon. I've seen a nuber of Disney cookbooks there. I'm one that likes to see what recipes are included, though, before buying.

There's a monster thread right here on the DIS with recipes...mainly from WDW, but there are some from DL & DLP also. It's so big that we actually have an index for it in a separate thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1777635 There are no direct links to the recipes, so you have to find what you want & then go to the correct page of the recipe thread at: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1575103 The index is stuck at the top of this forum, so it's easy to find & the recipe thread is linked in the first post so you don't have to wander around looking for it.

Oh - and the recipes are sorted first by course (breakfast, entree, soups, etc) & again by restaurant, which is usually what I use. And there's also a list of tips, tweaks & reviews that people have made in the thread, as well as all the requests that have been made for more recipes.

As for what I've cooked here at home & any modifications :rofl: That last part is funny! If you've ever read any of my posts about trying recipes...I rarely make things exactly as specified. It may say "heavy cream" but you can be guaranteed that I've used 2% or even skim milk instead. LOL

Our favorites come from Boma, but there are others we make regularly as well:
Flank Steak Marinade (only thing we EVER use for steaks of any kind...yum!)
Frunch
Durban Spiced Roast Chicken Salad
Cured Pork Loin with Coconut Curry Sauce
Fufu
Nut-crusted Mahi Mahi (or any other thick fish filet)
Peanut Butter Rice
Potatoes with Afritude
Wilderness Lodge Blueberry French Toast
Crisp Rice Cereal Sushi
Wilderness Lodge Rib Rub
Polynesian White Meat Marinade
Wilderness Lodge Strawberry Banana Bread
Broccoli Cranberry Salad
Kang Boa Chicken

OK - now I'm hungry!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
liamsaunt
I was an irish girl with an afro
I am Doombah Dippinlips. I just don't know what to say about that
Agh! I'm a chip junkie!
Mashed potatoes were invented as a delivery vehicle

I have some of the Disney cookbooks as well as some of the Food and Wine cookbooks. Most of the recipes I have tried have come out quite well. Off the top of my head, some successes were:

Le Cellier's cheddar soup
Artist Point's smoky mushroom soup
Jiko's fish with vegetables of the moment and buerre blanc (this one took quite a while, but it was delicious!)
Boma's Durban flank steak marinade
Spiced Durban chicken on sugar cane skewers (from the South Africa Food and Wine booth)
Whispering Canyon's little nutty salad
California Grill's Sonoma goat cheese ravioli
Pierogies (from Poland's Food and Wine booth)

The only outright failure I can remember was the breakfast potatoes from the Crystal Palace. They were terrible!! Basically, it is shredded potatoes in a cheese-sour cream sauce. It sounded like a good idea, but yuck! The potatoes were undercooked and the casserole was SO greasy. I think I actually have a picture of it somewhere but I don't want to post it and make you sick.
liamsaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #18
TiffanyK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
TiffanyK - We started using some of the recipes from your blog last week, and I thank you!

!
Thanks! I'm glad you like the recipes.

I may have missed this earlier, but can you buy Disney cookbooks at WDW? Where is the best place to look for them? I've never thought about buying a cookbook while I''m there, I don't know why because it's a prefectly wonderful idea! Maybe I could have Mickey sign it
Old 09-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #19
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

We love the food from Marakesh and they have their own cookbook. I have made the berwat and my family loves it. I haven't been able to get the right kind of breading so I have used the filling in puff pastry pocket or lumpia wrappers depending on what I have on hand and it tastes great.

Rebecca
Old 09-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by let'sgo View Post
The Maui Scalloped Potatoes recipe is fantastic! I make them all the time. Rather than use heavy cream, I use 2% milk and it always turns out sooo good.

We also like the Pineapple Bread and that also is a hit each time we make it.
There's two versions--one from the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and one from 'Ohana.
The Maui scalloped potatoes are about the only thing we didn't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchaholic View Post
ok,what i want to know is, where are you getting these recipes ? especially the ohana one? i love the pineapple bread!
I have a few Disney cookbooks, but I love using our Disney Recipe thread right here! It has many hard to get recipes directly from the Chefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlovew View Post
We love the food from Marakesh and they have their own cookbook. I have made the berwat and my family loves it. I haven't been able to get the right kind of breading so I have used the filling in puff pastry pocket or lumpia wrappers depending on what I have on hand and it tastes great.

Rebecca
I didn't know that! I'll have to look into getting that one. We love eating there
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #21
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

The cookbook is out with the food and wine booths but in Marrakesh it is not on display- I asked about the recipe and they told me about the cookbook- it also talks about the spices from Moracco and gives menu ideas and such.

Rebecca

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: