Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
c&m
Love the Mouse but love my DH more for taking me to the Mouse House.

We Got to Eat Dessert for Lunch and Dinner...Our Family on the Dining Plan

We were at WDW from August 25 to September 1. We had some really great food. The cast of characters are:

ME, DW: Love to try new food. I don't eat much but do eat a bit of this and bit that. I gained 5 lbs on this trip

DH: Adventurous eater who will eat practically anything put in front of him. Only gripe about him is that he eats SO fast that I'm not sure he actually savours it. Works out every day at the gym so he could eat at WDW.

DD13: Used to be a picky eater but has improved in the past couple of years. She now eats most everything.

DD9: She is a savvy eater, adventurous and gets hungry often. Where she puts it, I don't know as she's as skinny as a stick.

Where we ate:

Earl of Sandwich (Dinner)
Wolfgang Puck Express (Dinner)
Boma (Breakfast)
Sunshine Seasons (Lunch)
Tokyo Dining (Dinner)
Kona Cafe (Breakfast)
Norway's La Kringla (Snack)
Crystal Palace (Breakfast)
Mara (Breakfast)
Mara (Lunch)
Teppan Edo (Dinner)
Sci-Fi Diner (Lunch)
Boma (Dinner)
Le Cellier (Lunch)
Ohana (Dinner)

Pictures are downloading and gotta put the kids to bed now...stay tuned...
DL July 14 (Hotel Indigo Anaheim), DL August 13 (Hyatt Orange County), WDW July 12 (AKL, Parc Soleil HGV, Hilton Orlando), WDW March 12 (Parc Soleil HGV), DL Paris Aug 11, DL March 11 (Sheraton Park), DL Aug 10 (Sheraton Garden Grove), WDW Aug/Sep 09 (AKL), DL March 09 (Hilton Garden Inn), DL July 08 (Hampton Inn), DL July 07 (Hyatt Orange County), WDW May 05 (Port Orleans Riverside),DL March 04 (Doubletree), DL September 03 (Anaheim Hilton), DL September 02 (Anaheim Marriott), DL September 01 (Hyatt Orange County), DL July 00 (Newport Dunes), WDW May 00 (Dolphin), DL May 98 (Paradise Pier), WDW January 97 (Port Orleans French Quarter), WDW August 95 (Days Inn), DL 94 (Holiday Inn)
c&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
meloneyb21
DIS Veteran

I'm in...can't wait to read and live vicariously through you until we go again next year .

8/1990 - Offsite 4/06 - CSR 5/09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 4/10 - Poly 8/11 - AKL 8/12 - AKL 6/14 - AKL
meloneyb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
DLo
DIS Veteran

looking forward to your pics and reviews.
Oct 2006 - WL Nov 2007 - GF Nov 2008 - Poly
Oct 2009 - BC Oct 2010 - BWI Oct 2011 YC May 2014 YC
DLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
leeann32
DIS Veteran

I'm ready
leeann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
c&m

Night we arrived...Earl of Sandwich

We arrived in Orlando at 5:45pm. We didn't make an ADR for this evening because arrivals are kind of unpredictable where time is concerned. We picked up our rental, checked into AKL, made a quick run to the Super Target to pick up water and other things (we don't have Target in Canada...so I kind of go crazy there). Then we headed to Downtown Disney for dinner.

We were torn between WPE or EOS. We chose EOS because we found it first.

ME: I had the Original. It was delish and everything more. You Disers were right! It was a combination of the warm bread, horseradish, cheese, and roast beef -- yummmy!! -- that made it so perfect. Has anyone out there tried to duplicate this sandwich??? If you were successful, please let me know how you made it.

DH: He had the All American. He tried my Original and like it but preferred the All American and had it again later on during the trip.

DD10 and DD13: They each had their own meatball sandwich. I tried it and it was very yummy too.

We also picked up 2 of the brownies and they were probably the best store bought brownies. (On a side note: We ate at WPE and had one of their brownies and we didn't think it was as good as EOS.)

Verdict: / 5
How we paid: OOP. This was a beginner's mistake. We were thinking that we wouldn't have enough CS credits so we paid OOP for this meal. By trip's end, we had 3 CS left, and I kicked myself for being so scrooge-like with these CS credits.
If I could have a do-over: Use the CS credits. No need to conserve them.
DL July 14 (Hotel Indigo Anaheim), DL August 13 (Hyatt Orange County), WDW July 12 (AKL, Parc Soleil HGV, Hilton Orlando), WDW March 12 (Parc Soleil HGV), DL Paris Aug 11, DL March 11 (Sheraton Park), DL Aug 10 (Sheraton Garden Grove), WDW Aug/Sep 09 (AKL), DL March 09 (Hilton Garden Inn), DL July 08 (Hampton Inn), DL July 07 (Hyatt Orange County), WDW May 05 (Port Orleans Riverside),DL March 04 (Doubletree), DL September 03 (Anaheim Hilton), DL September 02 (Anaheim Marriott), DL September 01 (Hyatt Orange County), DL July 00 (Newport Dunes), WDW May 00 (Dolphin), DL May 98 (Paradise Pier), WDW January 97 (Port Orleans French Quarter), WDW August 95 (Days Inn), DL 94 (Holiday Inn)

Last edited by c&m; 09-13-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
c&m

Day 1...Epcot

Breakfast
We started our first morning with breakfast at Boma. We had an 8:45am ADR and were seated right away. We were all exhausted because of the 3-hour time difference. I don't think our bodies were ready to eat, so none of us ate more than meager bites. There were no refills or 2nd plates from anyone. I also apologize that I neglected to take pics at this meal. I left my camera in the room (blame sleepiness). Some standouts from this meal:

- the coffee
- the frunch drink
- the chive/goat cheese scrambled eggs
- the sausages (tasted better than any other I had during the trip)
- fresh fruit

We got through this meal really fast because we were eager to get to Epcot.
How we paid: 4 TS credits
If I could have a do-over: I would have scheduled this on another morning once we got used to the time change. None of us were hungry at all so we couldn't enjoy it as much.

Lunch
We ate at Sunshine Seasons because we had just completed the Behind the Seeds tour. The terrible part was that none of us were really that hungry except for DD13. Here is what we got:

ME, DH, DD10 each got ourselves a Vegetable Medley soup using our Snack credits. We all enjoyed the soup. It was full of veggies and the soup was well seasoned and tasty.

DD13 got the noodle and beef stirfry using her CS credit:

She was so hungry she ate all the udon noodles before I could take a picture. She loved the noodles and the veggies were done just right. However, the beef seem overdone and dry. Her CS meal came with a dessert which we all shared. We got the Strawberry Shortcake. It was delicious!

Dinner
Tokyo Dining! We didn't book this ADR. We just dropped in and managed to get in with a 45 minute wait. No problem, because they gave us a beeper and we went downstairs to the Japanese store -- lots to see there!

ME: I had the strip loin that came with these sauces: teriyaki, ginger, miso. All was good.

DH: He had the bento box with the beef and sashimi, accompanied with seasoned seaweed and this tempura potato/veggie thing. I loved his bento box and wished I had ordered it.

DD13: She had the chicken katsu with ponzu sauce. Hers was good but the portion was huge!

DD10: She ordered the kiddie meal chicken teriyaki, which came with a fruit cup.

Our adult meals came with a dessert. We ordered 2 green tea puddings and 1 chocolate ginger cake. While we love green tea, the pudding was too sweet. The cake was the clear winner.

How we paid: 4 TS credits
If I could have a do-over: I'd have the bento box.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
c&m

Epcot Snack

We weren't really conditioned to eat much on our first day. So all we had for snack was this school bread from Norway.

How we paid: 1 snack credit
If I could have a do-over: We would have hit the bakery at France. Everything looked sooo yummy in there!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

great start -

I'll be back!! (and hope your dd will get those pics uploaded!! if not? I'll still be back!!)
Sandy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
FirstMagic
Mouseketeer

I think it is great you are including the "do-over"s at the end of each review - it is helpful advice! Enjoying the reviews, we haveTokyo Dining booked for our next trip, so it was good to see the pictures, and your commentary on the desserts there.
FirstMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

We are planning to try Tokyo Dining next trip ... your reviews have really convinced me! Can't wait for more!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Signing on, great so far!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

I LOVE your do overs! What great advice! Can't wait to read more!

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
thebeesknees
DIS Veteran

Subbing - I really like your "do-over" advice!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
c&m

Thanks for all your sweet comments! This is my first review WITH pictures. I'm not used to taking a pic of our meals before eating, so my apologies ahead of time of the half-eaten dishes.

I'll try to write another review tonight after work and DDs' soccer practices.

BTW, for you all who are going to Tokyo Dining...you are in for a treat . The food is delish in there, the service is fantastic, and the ambiance is absolutely delightful. The sushi preparation area changes colours. Our family had a great time dining there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: