DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Cruella 66
DIS Veteran

Location: Two stars to the right and straight on until morning

No free dining

We had to add a day to our cash paid vacation at the end of the month. We had points to use so I added a night at our home resort BLT. We can use ME but they said DVC members were not eligable for the free dining offer. Hmmm...how sad....is this the way it normally is or just an exclusion for this particular offering?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

"Free" dining is a marketing ploy by Disney to bring people to the parks. They pay full price for their room and get average food and a sub par dining experience.

DVC members don't need an additional incentive to come to WDW. It's in our blood.

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

No, we aren't eligible for the promotion. "Free" Dining is not really free. You must reserve a WDW resort at full, rack rate and park tickets through WDW Reservations in order to get the "free" dining. Rest assured that Disney is still getting their money, they are just using creative accounting in order to call the dining "free". It is a way for them to fill unsold hotel rooms in this sluggish economy.

With DVC you pay much less than Rack Rate for your hotel room. Even if you were to reserve a DVC stay and pay cash for the dining plan you'd still be way ahead of those who get the "free" dining.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Cruella 66
DIS Veteran

Location: Two stars to the right and straight on until morning

Thank you both for clearing this up! We are first time members and the 29th; just the one night, will be my first time staying any DVC. We are using the bulk of our first set of points next June. Thanks again for your help!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
LIFERBABE
DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV

Free Dining also has a 3 nite minimum stay so even if you paid cash for your night @ rackrate you would not qualify unless you extended.
I also agree that you really have to run the numbers for your stay to compare. I could not find a deluxe resort free dining package for less than 2k for 3 days!

Welcome Home

"Mama I want go see Mittey Mouse"
MAY 1998 Apopka/JUNE 2002 Highland Rsrv./JUNE 2003 Wind. PalmsMAY 2004 SSR DVC Member Homecoming/JUNE 2004 SOG & BCV 2B2Q/OCT 2004 BWV 1B & SSR H-Jeanne/ DEC 2004 VWL & SSR/MAY to JUNE 2005 MONTH VISIT TO BCV AND SSR/SEPT 05 DVC MEMBER CRUISE DCL Wonder/DEC 05 BCV & SSR/MAY-June 2006 SSR/Sept 2006 7 Day DCL Double Castaway Cay/Oct 2006 DVC Member Cruise 2006/Dec 2006-Jan 2007 Christmas @ BCV & NYE @ SSR/March 2007 Girls trip to BWV & SSR/June 2007 Family Reunion @ SSR/July 2007 First Trip to AKV Sav.View!/Oct 2007 BCV F&WF/Dec-Jan 2008 AKV Concierge and SSR/JUNE 08 BCV/SSR/AUG-SEP 08TOAL EB REPO/OCT 08 F&WF BCV concierge/DEC 08 SSR/AKV/HHI/JUNE 09 DCL/DEC 09 THV/.........
LIFERBABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
sparkyboy
DIS Veteran

After several stays as DVC member, the free dining promo does not even enter our mind when we start to plan our vacation. As others have stated, the ploy is to market rooms at full cost with "dining" as incentive to help the economy. Enjoy your stay and Welcome Home.
sparkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

DVC members are eligible for free dining. The catch is you have to book your room at full price through CRO plus buy a ticket. DVC Studios start at $269 plus tax per night, 1 bedrooms start at $385 (value at AKV). So you can still get DVC accomodations and free dining.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #8
rsinj
Mouseketeer

Last edited by rsinj; 10-07-2009 at 03:04 AM.
rsinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinj View Post
You are quite mistaken on that point. I've seen similar posts all summer long while this promotion was in effect, and it is generally nothing more than people justifying their own situation - mostly DVC members (and we are too) who for one reason or another want to believe that DVC is always the best. In this case, for us, paying cash for this promotion was better.

We just completed a week using the free dining promotion - $58/day/person all inclusive for hotel, daily park tickets, a few other benefits...and the free dining. It was a fabulous, inexpensive week for us.

We ate dinner at all of the restaurants we'd never usually go to (besides Ohana) - The Wave, Coral Reef, Les Chefs among others in addition to Ohana. You consider that average food and a subpar dining experience? We always go to Ohana specifically for the fabulous food and exceptional dining experience. We had some of the best dining both food and experiencewise we ever have in all our Disney stays.

I did some quick calculations, and the food alone was coming in at $50 to $60/day per person. So, in my mind, we paid about list price for our meals for high-end food/experience and received free hotel and tickets for the week.

For us, in this case, paying cash for this promotion was much better than using our DVC points.
I am happy that you enjoyed your "free" dining experience, but apparently we have different expectations. As a long time visitor to WDW who vacations there several time a year we have noticed a difference.

Prior to Disney offering "free" dining the menus had a much better offering. Better and bigger cuts of meat, and even lobster. Now the menus have been modified to allow for the preparation of food in a shorter amount of time and the wait staff are instructed to turn over tables as soon as possible.

A few weeks ago while we were at Disney, Cast Members in preparation for "free" dining were actually replacing menu boards that had fewer items on them and increased prices. Wolfgang Puck Express West Side removed all pasta from their menu and the Pepper Market removed their Chinese food and beef fillet from the menu.

"Free" dining can be a good value but it has definitely affected the crowd level, quality, and quantity of food served.

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
rsinj
Mouseketeer

Last edited by rsinj; 09-14-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
Tara
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinj View Post
You are quite mistaken on that point. I've seen similar posts all summer long while this promotion was in effect, and it is generally nothing more than people justifying their own situation - mostly DVC members (and we are too) who for one reason or another want to believe that DVC is always the best. In this case, for us, paying cash for this promotion was better.

We just completed a week using the free dining promotion - $58/day/person all inclusive for hotel, daily park tickets, a few other benefits...and the free dining. It was a fabulous, inexpensive week for us.

We ate dinner at all of the restaurants we'd never usually go to (besides Ohana) - The Wave, Coral Reef, Les Chefs among others in addition to Ohana. You consider that average food and a subpar dining experience? We always go to Ohana specifically for the fabulous food and exceptional dining experience. We had some of the best dining both food and experiencewise we ever have in all our Disney stays.

I did some quick calculations, and the food alone was coming in at $50 to $60/day per person. So, in my mind, we paid about list price for our meals for high-end food/experience and received free hotel and tickets for the week.

For us, in this case, paying cash for this promotion was much better than using our DVC points.
Justification works both ways. Aren't you justifying your choice here?

The trade off in room size and amenities from DVC to moderate is simply not worth it to me *unless* I have no more points to use and HAVE to take a trip. And if you're talking about paying rack rates at a deluxe or DVC resort just for the "free" dining, then it is no longer a good deal IMO. I'd rather use my points and pay for the plan outright.

I've done free dining before and I've paid for the DP. I've stayed at every leve of WDW resort. My situation is that my vacation experience is greatly impacted by my resort, and I feel no need to justify that situation.

And "average to subpar" are subjective terms - each person will have her or his own opinion on the quality of food. I'd call Ohana and Coral Reef average. I can't comment on The Wave or Les Chefs. In fact, I'd say that most of the food is average at best with a few exceptions. The exceptions are where we tend to concentrate our dining, and then mix in restaurants that are more about experience (CRT, Chef Mickey's) than about quality of food.

Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Free dining can be a major deal for anyone staying at a value resort and can be a really good deal for anyone staying at a moderate. For a deluxe, one needs to start factoring in how many people and how much they'll eat before paying rack rate on a deluxe to get free dining starts to pay off.

Most of the food I considered "excellent" on my long trip a week ago (not on DDP except for 1 night on QSDP) turned out to be from special events not covered by DDP, 2 credit restaurants, and Tchoup Chop at Universal. Everything else was pretty good and I wouldn't call most of it subpar. My biggest disappointment at WDW was actually Wolfgang Puck Express. (Biggest overall was Mythos at Universal - they're cheaping out far more than anything at Disney). I was glad not to have the DDP for the full trip, many of the things I thought were best would not have been covered.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

There is no way to compare an All Stars or POP stay to a DVC stay, even in a studio. My two experiences at All Stars were awful. I stay off site if POP isn't available with an AP discount on the nights we arrive early for our DVC stays. I like POP Century OK, it is what it is, small value rooms, double beds, no TS restaurant (though they do have a very good food court). That said, I wouldn't mind POP for a night or two to bookend a DVC stay, we often do that as we tend to drive and arrive a day early. For a week or longer, I like the full kitchen and in room laundry, though we do sometimes settle for a studio to save points for extended family trips.

Since the DDP limits what I can choose to eat, the paid version is never of any use to us, it does not fit our dining style, even though we usually have a TS meal daily, sometimes more. For instance, we usually have a nice TS lunch at Brown Derby including 2 appetizers, entrees, 2 beverages, 2 adult beverages, and split a dessert. This generally runs about $100 including tip. Now, BD is a 2 credit DDP meal, so it would cost $100 (if you figure the TS meal credits at $25 per) PLUS appetizers, adult beverage, and tip. Not a good deal on the DDP.

If you're perfectly happy in the smaller accommodations and only food court food at the resort for an extended stay, perhaps DVC isn't the best option for you. If you stay mostly at deluxe class Disney resorts, like having a TS restaurant at your resort, prefer larger beds, then DVC makes sense.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 09-14-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #14
rsinj
Mouseketeer

Last edited by rsinj; 10-07-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #15
rsinj
Mouseketeer

Last edited by rsinj; 10-07-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: