Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #31
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Is there anyway to know what category merchants report their transactions to be before you purchase from them? I just got an offer for 5x off $750 from Oct. - Nov. My flyer says wholesalers and warehouses don't count. I will shop at the smaller non-chain grocery but I'd like to know beforehand if they report as grocery or other. Same with the gas stations. Is there a list somewhere?
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #32
Eeyore1928
Believer of Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust
Wishes on stars

Nothing .......no bonus points offers and we charge everything and then pay it off every month. I guess they just don't like me...

I called and they said there has never been one on your account and I am a Day 1 member!!!!

Cruising on the Dream January 2011 and September 2011!!!!

My Hubby just got me DVC!!!!!!

Eeyore1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #33
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess View Post
Is there anyway to know what category merchants report their transactions to be before you purchase from them? I just got an offer for 5x off $750 from Oct. - Nov. My flyer says wholesalers and warehouses don't count. I will shop at the smaller non-chain grocery but I'd like to know beforehand if they report as grocery or other. Same with the gas stations. Is there a list somewhere?
Well, I'm sure Chase has a list but they're not sharing it!

Seriously though, there is no way to tell ahead of time. Chase will not look up individual merchants for you. Now if you were to get your statement and notice that you're not getting the rewards you expected you can always call Chase to find out why. But the canned response is that they have no control over how a merchant chooses to list its category.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #34
cvrapclark
DIS Veteran

Another Disney 5X reward question

I've been getting the extra points from my Disney card for July, Aug and Sep. Got an extra $54 for July!! Anyway, I am going to get a gas gift card for a friend that's having to make trips back and forth to a hospital out of town. Has anyone bought a gift card and received the extra reward? Also, this made me think if I went and bought, say, a $500 grocery store card that I might could get the extra there too.

What do you think?

DH (47) DW (45) DS (22) DD (13) DD (7) June '87 - Honeymoon Many, many trips prior to 2003 Dec '03 & '04 - ASMusic Dec '05 & '06 - PC Dec '07 - AKV!!! Nov '08 - Pop Century May '09 - Disney Wonder / July '09 - Water Park Trip - SSR Nov '09 - 1st Bay Lake stay May 2010 - OKW with friends!! July 10 - AKV Dec 10 - POR March 2011 - AKV May 2011 - Disney Dream and BW Oct 2011 - POR, 1st MNNSHP March 2012 - 1st BCV May 2012 - 25th Anniversary Cruise and BLT
cvrapclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:27 PM   #35
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host

I've purchased GCs at grocery stores and I've gotten the credit. These were not gas GCs. They were Kohl's, McDonald's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, etc. I have gotten credit for them in the past. I'm not sure how they would handle it if you were to buy a gas card at a gas station.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #36
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I was SHOCKED today when I got a postcard for October, November and December and I have to spend $500 in ANY category - I checked and double checked and there are no specific categories! I am so excited b/c I am going on a cruise and to Disney so I will definately be using my card for all of that!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #37
JLitfin
love Disney

I had a promotion back in the spring and they were asking for a high dollar amount I think it was $1000 if I spent in gas, groceries, and airline tickets (I believe, can't remember). I tried to get the extra bonus but didn't receive any, I charged everything, but then I discovered it had to be in these areas only which I didn't do.

I think I'm going to stop using my card for a while and hopefully receive another postcard with a lower dollar amount. We'll use my DH's card in order to earn those airline pts. he has a different card.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #38
pixie921
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka-mad4themouse View Post
I've purchased GCs at grocery stores and I've gotten the credit. These were not gas GCs. They were Kohl's, McDonald's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, etc. I have gotten credit for them in the past. I'm not sure how they would handle it if you were to buy a gas card at a gas station.
This is how we manage our gas budget every month. We charge $250 in Speedway gift cards at the beginning of the month. This earns us Disney Visa points as well as Speedway rewards points. Then when we use the gift cards throughout the month, we earn additional Speedway points.

When the Disney Visa is doing the 5x thing, we often buy two or three months' worth of gas cards during a single month to make sure we hit the minimum threshold for the bonus.

We just got the new Oct-Dec 5x offer postcard today. Our minimum for the last 3 months was $750, but it dropped to $500 for the next 3.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #39
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I just got 2 of these in the mail today. One for our joint account that we use for absolutely everything. That one is 5x with a $1000 minimun for Dining, Gas, Groceries and Airline purchase. Well, we buy gas at Costco, they don't take Visa, and buy groceries at Target, which isn't classified as grocery.
For my dh's individual card, which is NEVER used, his is just 5x on everything with no minimum at all. I wonder if I could use the code on his offer to enroll our joint card?

Nope just tried that no luck.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #40
2manypets
DIS Veteran

Just signed up for this offer also. We have to spend over $1000 a month in the usual 4 categories. Probably won't spend the amount needed, but it'll be nice to be signed up just in case.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #41
ceecee
DIS Veteran

This is our fourth offer in a row! This time it is for Oct-Dec and purchases over $1000 in certain catagories. We'd be cleaning up with bonus points but all of our groocery and gas are classified as "Other" and don't count.
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #42
aagee
Mouseketeer

wish I'd get one of these offers! I called to double check, but still nothing Oh well, maybe someday
aagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #43
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Does anyone want to share which gas station chains they have used that have been catagorized as "other".
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #44
eyor44
DIS Veteran

No post card for me today.
eyor44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #45
Minniekins
DIS Veteran

Boy, I was so excited when I got this flyer in the mail yesterday! Ahoy! earn 5x rewards on qualifying dinning groceries, gas and airline purchases from Oct - Dec. Wow, great I thought, then I opened it and it has the $1000 limit thing and I knew this wasn't going to really work for me! Arrghgh!! Of course I bought my airline tickets earlier this month. Then, after reading here I checked and none of the places I buy gas at list as 'gas' but list as vehicle expense. Of course walmart or target post a 'other'. And, unbelievable, but it figures that the actual grocery store I shop at doesn't list as 'grocery' but as 'other'! Really?! The only thing that would list correctly is most dining is listed as 'dining and entertainment'. But not $1000 worth, even though my DD and I use this for everything we buy! Unfortunately, it seems like a rip off when you buy in the correct category but with it listed as 'other' or 'vehicle expense' you don't have a shot, plus with the high $1000 limit, no way!

Question though. So, for the $1000, does this mean that the thousand dollars is made up of charges only in those categories(so only charge of gas, dining, groceries, airline) count towards the first 1000, or any and all charges(such as bill paying), count towards the $1000 and anything over that in the right category counts for the 5x? Make sense? Really, even you shop at a grocery store(I do) unless the store lists properly for grocery, an same for gas you are just out of luck. Everywhere I go does not post the way Chase says it must be so it must be really really hard to really benefit from this. Maybe, if shopping the properly listed type places, you'd still have to a bigger family who shops a lot for gas and food to have this offer work for you! Sorry to go on so, I just got madder when reading this thread and checking my online statement and the flyer!

Unless you've got what a few posters do, with a 250 limit or 500 limit, but with no limit on allowable purchases, this is really won't work for hardly anyone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: