Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #61
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Thanks. I re read it.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #62
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I am one of those wacky people who actually wants bitter cold at DLR for Christmas!!! I don't want rain, mind you, because that just gets to be a nuisance with photo taking, etc. But I love cold. Since I have lived in SoCal my entire life, I have had more heat than I prefer, and I like to know and feel that seasons are changing. I want to know it is December! So maybe we won't get, say, 'Chicago or New York-cold' during December, but I LOVE it when it drops down to 30 degrees at night, and I have to bundle up in my mittens and neck scarves and hats and even trot out my cumbersome Mickey ear muffs!! I want to feel the chill on my cheeks as I sit there and sip hot cocoa and munch an ear off a gingerbread man cookie!

This is the best thread ever, to echo a previous poster - that's why I bumped it last week and will continue to if it drifts. It needs to be kept alive! I know Halloweentime at DLR begins today, and believe me, I love it then too, but there is nothing at all like the magical feeling of the holiday season at DLR. We have read here how it can turn the non-religious, the non-holiday people, the people whose lives are not going well, into big piles of mush at the sight of the beautiful decor. I, myself, am one who loves the Christmas season and all the sensory assault that it brings in general, but, for various, solid reasons, I don't ever really have a Christmas 'celebration' of which to speak anymore (not in a long time). So I have been trying to make the DLR holiday trip a regular, holiday tradition for me. Even if friends come and go on these trips and I have to go solo, I will still make it a point to get there during the holidays, one way or the other! I can live without a Halloweentime DLR trip if I have to, but I am NOT missing the holidays at DLR - no way, no how.
not wacky at all!! here's a pic of us there last christmas...bundled up!

and a piece of cake for you too....

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #63
smiley_face2

Just fyi... this is what we had left at home.... it was a record breaking winter for us both in temperature when it got down to only 5F for a few weeks and in snowfall in that we had at least a couple of feet and it lasted weeks!!! everyone experienced burst water pipes in their homes (including us....we got the call from home at the hotel that one bathroom was flooded I did not want to come home) roofs caving in (fortunately not us) many many plants that died from the cold (I lost a few beloved things) So in comparison, having to wear a fleece and socks with my sandals was a treat!!

and this is what it is like very often for us...this was taken in February about 3 years ago. Quite a difference! I really hope we don't get another bad winter....

Old 09-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #64
aprincess@mail.com
Princess Angie

Thank you to everyone for sharing their beautiful photos with me!
I was inspired by all the posts I just emailed my hubby to tell him that i really NEED a Mickey mouse gingerbread cookie NOW! lol

Thanks again, and I will add my own personal experience of the magic that is in Disneylands Xmas! It is soo beautiful, and it truly brings out the best in you.
We took our ds last year who was only 2 months and our dd who was 4 yrs old and seeing their innocent little faces glistening from the lights/decorations/fireworks and snow was amazing! It was an unforgettable moment! One that should be experienced by all. :\

Heres a pic of our family last year a day before X-mas eve.

WDW Saratoga Springs Spa & Resort Suite June 2007
2008 & 2010 & 2012 Disneyland Season Pass Holder!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #65
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley_face2 View Post
It was so bad you literally could not see the other side of the street, or even the traffic lights! I live in an extremely foggy part of the world but I've never seen fog like that! We were just shocked how fast everyone was still trying to drive in that fog! and of course there was a huge pile up accident then too.
Sorry you were sick!!
Thanks for that, I was sad about being sick too!
The fog was so bad that some people put on their hazard lights so the cars in front and behind could see them...And yet others still drove like maniacs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
My favorite time is after the park closes but main street is still open for that hour to quietly walk around Main Street and just take it all in. Can't be missed.
I feel the same way. I wish I could get in the car and drive there...I'd go every weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley_face2 View Post
me too! that's when we like to get a holiday mocha or latte (decaf) and sit on one of the benches listening to the Christmas music, admiring the castle, breathing in the delicious smell of vanilla sugar cookies I'm sure they must pipe in to main street.... and just watching all the people leave as if we don't have to...till finally the streets nearly empty and it feels like our own park. (even if it means missing the last shuttle to the hotel....Hojo's is not too far to walk!) I can not wait!!!
Oooh we used to do the same thing. It is magical just people watching and soaking in the ambiance. Now, of course, I always have my camera and am looking for photos ops. But we do try to take one night where we just sit there and soak it all in...We're usually one of the last to leave the park, unless it's insanely cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I am one of those wacky people who actually wants bitter cold at DLR for Christmas!!! I don't want rain, mind you, because that just gets to be a nuisance with photo taking, etc. But I love cold. Since I have lived in SoCal my entire life, I have had more heat than I prefer, and I like to know and feel that seasons are changing. I want to know it is December! So maybe we won't get, say, 'Chicago or New York-cold' during December, but I LOVE it when it drops down to 30 degrees at night, and I have to bundle up in my mittens and neck scarves and hats and even trot out my cumbersome Mickey ear muffs!! I want to feel the chill on my cheeks as I sit there and sip hot cocoa and munch an ear off a gingerbread man cookie!
Oh Sherry, I used to be the same way! I loved getting dressed up for the winter as we don't have a lot of seasonal extremes either where I'm from. I am more afraid of getting sick since for some reason, since we've started going in January instead of December, I've been getting sick. Of course, since I got sick in June, I realize now it doesn't even matter when I go! Obviously, I am one of those that get sick easily no matter what the temperature is outside. It just sucks to go on vacation and come home sick.
Quote:
I, myself, am one who loves the Christmas season and all the sensory assault that it brings in general, but, for various, solid reasons, I don't ever really have a Christmas 'celebration' of which to speak anymore (not in a long time). So I have been trying to make the DLR holiday trip a regular, holiday tradition for me. Even if friends come and go on these trips and I have to go solo, I will still make it a point to get there during the holidays, one way or the other! I can live without a Halloweentime DLR trip if I have to, but I am NOT missing the holidays at DLR - no way, no how.
We have used our DL vacation as a substitute for a traditional holiday gathering at home for a long time now too. Once our DS was out of his teens it didn't make a lot of sense to go through the trouble of setting up the whole house for the holidays. I'd much rather put the money we'd spend on gifts toward a family vacation, so that's what we do. We give each other a vacation every year!Or sometimes, like this year, we give each other a vacation 3 times a year!
My June 2009 Summer Nightastic Photo Intensive Trip Report Disneyland, Magical Fireworks, Disney's Electrical Parade, Fantasmic!, Ride pics, SeaWorld, Aquarium of the Pacific and Knotts Berry Farm...Updated 3-17-2010 ~ Better late than never!

Previous Trips: 7/2012, Desert Inn and Suites; 1/2012, Hojos Bld 1; 6/2011 DL, Hojos Bldg 2; 9/2009 DL, Hojos King room & Pool Review; 6/2009 DL, Seaworld SD, Aquarium of the Pacific & Knotts Berry Farm, Fairfield Inn and more FFI; 1/2009 DL, Hojos; 1/2008 DL, Hojos Premium 2 Queen DL facing room; 1/2007 DL, Hojos; 1/2006 DL, Hojos; 12/2005 DL, Hojos; 10/2005 DL, Hojos; 12/2004 DL, Hojos; 12/2003 DL, Hojos; 12/2002 DL, Hojos; 12/2001 DL, Hojos; 7/2-14 2001 WDW & US IOA;10/2000 DL Desert Inn and Suites; 10/1999 DL, Anaheim Plaza, 10/1997 Anaheim Plaza...and many previous trips to DL as a kid... We are once again Deluxe Annual Passholders! Just went June 15-18, 2011, am planning a short trip in August 2011, and will be running my first Half Marathon in the Tinkerbell Half Marathon January 2012!!! Nikon D90, Nikon 18-200mmVR, Nikon 70-300mmVR, Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50mm 1.2 AI, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8, Nikon SB800, and a whole bunch of other stuff to go along with it!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #66
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Whoa! smiley_face2, that is cold! I have no complaints about the cold, err, warm weather in DL from now on, ever!

BTW, that cake looks awesome! Where did you get that?
My June 2009 Summer Nightastic Photo Intensive Trip Report Disneyland, Magical Fireworks, Disney's Electrical Parade, Fantasmic!, Ride pics, SeaWorld, Aquarium of the Pacific and Knotts Berry Farm...Updated 3-17-2010 ~ Better late than never!

Previous Trips: 7/2012, Desert Inn and Suites; 1/2012, Hojos Bld 1; 6/2011 DL, Hojos Bldg 2; 9/2009 DL, Hojos King room & Pool Review; 6/2009 DL, Seaworld SD, Aquarium of the Pacific & Knotts Berry Farm, Fairfield Inn and more FFI; 1/2009 DL, Hojos; 1/2008 DL, Hojos Premium 2 Queen DL facing room; 1/2007 DL, Hojos; 1/2006 DL, Hojos; 12/2005 DL, Hojos; 10/2005 DL, Hojos; 12/2004 DL, Hojos; 12/2003 DL, Hojos; 12/2002 DL, Hojos; 12/2001 DL, Hojos; 7/2-14 2001 WDW & US IOA;10/2000 DL Desert Inn and Suites; 10/1999 DL, Anaheim Plaza, 10/1997 Anaheim Plaza...and many previous trips to DL as a kid... We are once again Deluxe Annual Passholders! Just went June 15-18, 2011, am planning a short trip in August 2011, and will be running my first Half Marathon in the Tinkerbell Half Marathon January 2012!!! Nikon D90, Nikon 18-200mmVR, Nikon 70-300mmVR, Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50mm 1.2 AI, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8, Nikon SB800, and a whole bunch of other stuff to go along with it!
Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #67
smiley_face2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
Whoa! smiley_face2, that is cold! I have no complaints about the cold, err, warm weather in DL from now on, ever!

BTW, that cake looks awesome! Where did you get that?
Lol.... I know... I used to be all nostalgic about snow...wishing we would get some for Christmas while looking out at the sun or the rain instead.... by the end of it last year I was soooooo over the snow! If it does not snow here again for 20 years that's ok with me!!
That yule log cake we got at The Plaza Inn to have after the amazing fried chicken dinner they have there....the piece was huge!! we shared of course. Seems to me I saw them other locations as well, but I don't remember for sure now.
aprincess@mail.com....you have a beautiful family!!

Old 09-26-2009, 04:51 AM   #68
asianbma
Earning My Ears

You must go during Christmas season at Disneyland. I usually get very emotional during the fireworks show because of the music. I love how the temperature drop like crazy in Southern Calif. It feels so cold that it is like Christmas.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #69
3Minnies1Mickey

Yeah!!! DH has agreed to going again in December!!! We'll be there 12/18-21, with DS's 1st bday on the 18th!!!

Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Old 09-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #70
disneymama83
It's so nice to be able to post here and have people understand just what it means to go to DISNEYLAND!!

Wow there are some really beautiful pictures posted here! Thanks for sharing everyone! I just love Disneyland at Christmas time!!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #71
sunstress
Going Goofy - again! - in 2013

Hi everyone! Thanks for posting such beautiful pictures! My husband and I will be celebrating our 4th anniversary on November 15, and we were trying to decide between flying down to visit the parks for our anniversary *or* to wait a week and see the holiday decorations (based on previous years timing). However, it looks as if the decorations will be up starting the 13th!

I suppose that, before I actually book our flights and hotel and such, I should check in with you experts -- historically, is everything up on the first day of the season? Would we be better off waiting a week?

I've never been to Disneyland during the holidays, and this would be a great chance to combine our anniversary with lots of gorgeous decorations!

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can offer!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #72
smiley_face2

It's pretty amazing how they convert the park to Christmas seemingly overnight...but it does take a bit for everything to be in place. If you wait too long you'll be caught up in the thanksgiving day masses... you could wait till the weekend of the 20th, they will surely be all done by then.... but it would be a shame to not be there on your actual anniversary. If it were me, we would just go then and enjoy what is there.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #73
3Minnies1Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstress View Post
Hi everyone! Thanks for posting such beautiful pictures! My husband and I will be celebrating our 4th anniversary on November 15, and we were trying to decide between flying down to visit the parks for our anniversary *or* to wait a week and see the holiday decorations (based on previous years timing). However, it looks as if the decorations will be up starting the 13th!

I suppose that, before I actually book our flights and hotel and such, I should check in with you experts -- historically, is everything up on the first day of the season? Would we be better off waiting a week?

I've never been to Disneyland during the holidays, and this would be a great chance to combine our anniversary with lots of gorgeous decorations!

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can offer!
The start of the season is the 13th, they will start putting the decor up right after they take the Halloween stuff down Nov 2. The xmas fireworks are going, the parades, IASW Holiday, I would say most if not all the decor will be up.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #74
disneynerd420
DIS NINJA

I'm trying to squeeze in one last trip this year in December, reading this thread has me very excited.

Disneynerd420's January 2010 Birthday trip report!!! http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post35194091
2 Guys, a Mom and The Mouse. Sept '09 (A disneynerd420 Trip report) PIC INTENSIVE! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2268157
Check out my June 5th through the 10th 2009 trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2203536
Old 10-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #75
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynerd420 View Post
I'm trying to squeeze in one last trip this year in December, reading this thread has me very excited.
OMG, if you can go, you definitely should! You will LOVE it during the holidays!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: