Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Timon

DIS Junkie

Arrow Cass, Rob and Kira back in Disney! Toddlers' tempers and tantrums PTR NOW LIVE !!!

Walt Disney World and Disney Magic Cruise

WHEN: October 15th, 2009 - November 1st, 2009

Cast of Characters

Cass…that would be moi. Disney fanatic since I was 3 when my parents first took me to WDW in 1975, ( Thanks mom & dad wherever you are! )
DIS junkie since 1997 (anyone remember this place when it was a one- page thread index?) and SAHM to Kira, my little princess who will be one month shy of her third birthday when we make this trip. I also take care of my beautiful 2-year-old niece Dani during the week and I work part-time running my own diaper cake business.

Rob, my amazing hubby who works way too hard and who desperately needs a break from all his jobs! He is an electronics engineer during the day but on weekends he turns into DJ Darkrobe, owner and president of Quests End Mobile Disc Jockey, a company he started when he was just 16 years old! Together with his best friend Sean, they spin tunes and entertain the masses 30-40 times per year. They are the best at what they do and although the hours are very long, I think they both enjoy being the best DJ’s in Calgary!

Kira, the archetypal 2 year old whom I am currently brainwashing into loving Disney as much as I do. She is a huge princess and by princess I don’t mean the cute, sweet, loving, generous kind of princess. No, no. I mean the I-tell-you-what-to-do-and-you-follow-all-my-rules-or-else-I-will-throw-a-huge-tantrum kind of princess.

Her favourite sayings are “NO!” and “I don’t think so!” and “Don’t touch me!” with a few “Don’t sing mommy!” and “Stop talking to me’s” thrown in for good measure. To say she has a bit of a ‘tude is an understatement. She has a lot of meltdowns and tantrums at home where everything is safe and familiar so I have a feeling there will be a good amount of them during this trip, hence the title of this report.

At the same time, she is so smart and loving and incredibly amazing and we love her to bits and we are extremely lucky and blessed to have her in our life.

I’m sure those of you who have two-year-olds (or are still sane enough to remember when your kids were 2) know exactly what I am talking about!

Here she is doing what she loves best...bouncing!

Supporting Cast

We are also traveling with some great friends, Sean & Bernie and their 2 kids Gary and Bailey so you will see them mentioned quite a bit in this trippie too.

Trip Highlights

We will be spending 8 days in WDW and then we will be boarding the Disney Magic for a one-week Eastern Caribbean Cruise, then back to Disney for Halloween Night and then home on November 1st.

Our first two nights will be spent at Animal Kingdom Villas courtesy of a very nice DISer (Hi Ellen!) who has rented us some points. Ever since I heard they were building a DVC resort at AKL, I knew I needed to stay there! Although we are not DVC members, we always rent points for each trip. We both fell in love with DVC resorts many years ago and have a hard time staying anywhere else. One day we will become DVC owners but until that happens, I am happy to rent points.

We are also spending 6 nights at a condo in Windsor Hills, which we rented from http://www.vacationcentralflorida.com/ Windsor Hills is a gated community very close to Disney and although I am sad we can’t afford to stay at AKV for the entire 8 nights, I am looking forward to the space and amenities we will have at the condo.

We will be spending the night before the cruise at The Radisson at the Port, in Port Canaveral. Even though the condo is paid up till the Saturday that we cruise, I prefer being at the port the morning of the cruise instead of making the trip early that morning. I don’t travel well in a car sometimes so I prefer to make that journey to the port at my leisure the night before. Besides, we are meeting up with a whole horde of BOBers that night at the Radisson!

Which brings me to the cruise….

Back when I was 19 weeks pregnant with Kira, I booked a Disney Cruise for October 2007. I joined the DIS Cruise Meet thread for our cruise known as the Konked Kruisers and we all chatted for well over a year. We got to know each other pretty well and we had a blast cruising with each other. As soon as we got back, a very large group of Konked Kruisers all decided to sail again together in October 2009. So we started another cruise meet thread but since there would be more than just KKers on this cruise we needed a new name. Now, the reason a lot of us cruised in October was because we were celebrating something, whether it was a birthday, anniversary or a bash of some sort. So, the name Bash on the Boat became our slogan for this cruise, which eventually was shortened to BOB, which then got nicknamed “I’m with BOB”. So since November 2007, we’ve been chatting on the BOB meet thread. We are a pretty chatty bunch and currently we are on thread # 25!!! Over the past 2 years, we added a great many new BOBers to our group and unfortunately, we’ve also lost some BOBers too.

I’m really looking forward to the cruise. It’s going to be awesome because everywhere we turn, we will see BOBers! That’s what it felt like with the KK cruise and we have even more BOBers than KKers!!

Since we disembark the ship on Halloween, there was no way we were going to fly home!! Halloween is the only holiday I like (I know, bah humbug!) and it is also Rob’s favourite so there was no question, we HAD to spend Halloween Night at the Magic Kingdom for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party!!! We spent Halloween Night 2005 there and it was AMAZING!!!! The excitement and atmosphere that night was electric! We are also doing MNSSHP during our week at WDW (told ya it was our fave!) so the Halloween Night party will be our 6th time attending MNSSHP and we are looking forward to every second of it!!!

To top it all off, we rented points from Ellen (what a doll she was trying to get us booked here!) for that night to stay at Bay Lake Tower. This DVC resort just opened a couple of days ago and it looks amazing!!! For those of you who don’t know anything about DVC, the BLT (Did Disney NOT think of this when they named it???) is situated right next to the Contemporary Resort. It’s actually located where the old North Wing was and is a 3-minute walk to Magic Kingdom!!! How cool is that!! I tell ya, it sure will be handy with a very tired, and more than likely, cranky toddler, to just walk back to the resort after the party!

Well, I will end this chapter here before you all fall asleep on me. I have several more chapters to add to this pre-trippie….I warn you now, I am long-winded and I like photos and details so I will bore you all with all those things during the next 69 days.

Pre Trippie Index

[COLOR="Navy"]Intro-You're reading it!

Travelling with a 2-year-old

Things I am most looking forward to

Our new camera

Video from our new camera

Pictures from our new camera

Pictures of Kira Part 1

Pictures of Kira Part 2

Pictures of Kira Part 3

A cute little story

So I don't lose the kid

More pics of my girls

Kira's Autograph arrived! Some Pics Here

Heritage Park

My buttons are in!!

Where the heck am I going to put all this crap?????

Le BOBigator

My Itinerary

Princess Kira

Kira's Countdown Calendar

A few pics of Kira and her calendar

The Haircut AKA My little soldier

Calendar, suitcase and a pirate oh my!!

The excitement of green luggage tags!

Single digits, Snow and the Super Flu

Rain, showers and some drizzle

Almost time to gooooooooo!!!

Last pre-trippie post!!!!

And here it is.....my trippie

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34218069

Last edited by Timon; 01-23-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!
shakes dollar bills for good luck

Stealing your FO Cass!

MG present and accounted for. Let's get this party started baby.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
captchris
Go Yankees!

Great pre trip report Cass! I will be looking forward to future installments.

Cruise Vacations--3/2004 7 Day Western RCCL Nordic Empress, 9/2006 7 Day Western DCL Magic, 10/24/2009 7 Day Eastern DCL Magic (B.O.B.)
WDW Vacations--1976, 1979, 1988, 1996, 2001, 2005, 2009 MNSSHP

Now Planning--Fall 2012 Fantasy Cruise

Last edited by captchris; 08-06-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
leslie826
Mouseketeer

Your title caught my eye. My DD4 is Kira too! Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

I so wish it was sooner also!!! Can't wait. great start.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
millerpjm
DIS Veteran

Cass, I remember when DS was 2 - I know what you mean!

Let's rock and roll! Can't wait for the next installment (and I really can't wait for the cruise)!!!
Disney Magic October 2007
WDW January 1999
Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Dyerneeds
chics dig the scar

underdog (one of your many #1 fans) signed up and ready my dear.
Underdog and Tart Girl BOBing on the Magic, Plus the Mystery of the Red Br@ FE
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2363525
It's here... Our Trip Report, 2007
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post21828257
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
GOS
Livin' for Disney holidays with great friends

Reporting for reading duty Cass.
Heather crossing the Pond Sept 2014 9 days in WDW May 2014Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2012 travelling with my DIS friends in October 1114 days in FL - February 11Trip to California to see my US Sista - February 2010Disney Magic - 7 day cruise - 24th October 2009 "Bash on the Boat" Jewel of the Seas - Cruise to Russia - 17th May 2009 Disney Magic - 15 day Repo Cruise 17th August 2008; Independence of the Seas - 4 day cruise - 2nd May 2008; Disney Magic - 7 day cruise - 20th October 2007; Dawn Princess - 10 day cruise - 21st May 2007; Disney Wonder - 11 day cruise - 15th Sept 2006; Disney Wonder - 4 day cruise - October 2005; Carnival Glory - 7 day Cruise - January 2003; Disney Magic - 7 day Halloween Cruise - October 2001; Disney Magic - 7 Day Millenium Cruise - October 2000
Old 08-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Michelle2
Disneyland will always and forever hold a special place in my heart
Travel is my obsession
poop!

I always get so excited when your trips come up, and even more excited reading your TRs. It will be here before you know it!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Scouter
DIS Veteran

Off to a good start

Love Kira's trampoline photo
Old 08-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntkg1 View Post
Stealing your FO Cass!

MG present and accounted for. Let's get this party started baby.
You can have all my FO's Glad you could make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by captchris View Post
Great pre trip report Cass! I will be looking forward to future installments.
And I will be popping over to yours often too

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie826 View Post
Your title caught my eye. My DD4 is Kira too! Looking forward to the rest of your report.
Wow, her parents have great taste in names

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOANNEL View Post
I so wish it was sooner also!!! Can't wait. great start.
Thanks Joanne, I don't know if I can possbily wait 68 more days!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerpjm View Post
Cass, I remember when DS was 2 - I know what you mean!

Let's rock and roll! Can't wait for the next installment (and I really can't wait for the cruise)!!!
Wooo, let's rock baby!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyerneeds View Post
underdog (one of your many #1 fans) signed up and ready my dear.
Wooo hoooo!! The underdog is here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOS View Post
Reporting for reading duty Cass.
Glad to have you onboard Heather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle2 View Post
I always get so excited when your trips come up, and even more excited reading your TRs. It will be here before you know it!
Yay! You made it Michelle! I was hoping to see you around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Off to a good start

Love Kira's trampoline photo
Hi Rose! Glad you stopped by
Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Timon

DIS Junkie

Traveling with a 2-year-old

Ok, so since I am relatively new at this parenting thing, I am little worried about traveling with a toddler. I’ve done tons of research and have gotten a lot of great information from other more experienced parents out there but I am still shaking in my boots a little.

I remember when I was childless and I saw little kids screaming and yelling and having meltdowns, I just thanked my lucky stars that it wasn’t me who had to deal with that!! It is one of the reasons I said that I would never bring a child under 5 to Disney World.

And yet here I am, taking a child under 5 to WDW!!!
What was I thinking??

Why didn’t I listen to myself???

Now I am worried that I will be that parent, the one that people thank their lucky stars that they aren’t!

Kira is pretty good but she sure knows how to have her meltdowns! Just this morning we were watching some youtube videos of WDW, trying to prepare her for some of the rides and she was all happy and laughing and dancing. Until it ended that is.

I was more than willing to hit the replay button but she didn’t even give me the chance! She just threw herself on the floor and started screaming “I wanna watch it ‘gain!! I wanna watch it ‘gain!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

See what I mean???

Now, how am I supposed to prepare for that? LOL!

Rob and I call our little princess the drama queen. I’m sure some of you have little DQ’s of your own. So you know what I’m talking about.

Here's my little princess in mid-tantrum when I asked her to sit down and eat supper at a restaurant while we were in Edmonton last weekend...

Oh and her latest thing? Just in the past 2 weeks or so, she started sticking her tongue out at us whenever she is displeased with us. If we ask her to eat...tongue! Ask her to stop yelling...tongue...ask her to put her shoes on...tongue. It doesn't really bother me but it bugs the heck out of Rob

Now, we took her 2 years ago to WDW and on a DCL cruise but she was only 10 months old, too young for drama, she just went with the flow and as long as she had food, she was good!

So while she’s already been on a plane and to WDW, it’s all brand new to her.

We have a 2.5-hour flight to Denver, a 90-minute stopover and then a 3.5-hour flight to Orlando.

I am prepared though. We have a gorgeous little Tinkerbell carry-on bag that she got from someone very special last year which we’ve tucked away until this trip, so that it would be new and exciting for her. Inside that bag are some brand new toys that she’s never even seen or played with before as well as stickers, sticker books and other little trinkets to keep her busy. I’ve also been reformatting her favourite Disney movies into mpg’s that are now stored on my netbook, which will be brought on the plane with us and just this past weekend in Edmonton, we bought her some kids headphones.

On the trip up to and from Edmonton, I gave her the netbook to watch her movies and she loved it!

Good sign!

I’m also going to make sure we have a ton of snack foods with us. Unfortunately we can’t bring fruit, meat or cheese with us across the border so I will have to get creative there but it shouldn’t be a problem.

We will be checking-in her car seat with the luggage and instead using the C.A.R.E.S. belt for her on the plane.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

This will help a lot I think because she doesn’t like to sit in her car seat.

Now I’m just worried about the actual flight itself. Will her ears hurt? Will she flip out? Will she enjoy it?

Hard to tell, but I do know that she HATES loud noises! I mean, anything that’s even remotely loud, she gets really scared!

Sometimes we will sing and dance together and although I don’t think I am singing too loud, she yells out “Too loud mommy!!!!”

DQ!

This is also the main reason I told Rob that she is not going to like Fantasmic! She didn’t like it when she was 10 months old and now that she’s 2 and has a loud noises obsession, I think she is going to have a huge meltdown.

But it’s Rob’s favourite show and he thinks she may enjoy it (she LOVES Pocahontas and Indians, even though I told him she won’t care about them when they are singing too loudly! LOL) so he still wants to take her. So I told him that they can go by themselves and I will go ride TOT and RNRC and shop so he can deal with the potential meltdown.

Good plan right?

I thought so too.

Another problem is that she’s on the verge of not napping in the afternoons anymore. Some days she actually sleeps, usually between an hour and an hour and a half. But most days, she just lays there and talk and sings and peels the wallpaper off her walls.

Some days she does just fine without a nap. Usually when we are really busy doing stuff she can go all day and not be too cranky. Other days, she is little miss cranky pants all day long and sooooo needs a nap!

She told me just this morning, when we were talking about our plans for the day… “No, I’m not sleeping today!”

Well, as I sit here and type this and look over at the baby monitor…yup, she was right, she’s not going to sleep today!

So I guess we will just play it by ear and see how she does. I have every intention of going back to the condo every afternoon for some nap time or down time and I have absolutely no problem with this plan. But if she’s not going to nap and relax and unwind and she does well during the day, then we will just try to stay at the parks and watch the parades that she would miss if we did go back for a nap.

I know for a fact she is going to LOVE the parades!

Fireworks, not so much, but parades, absolutely!!

In an ideal world (and I am totally dreaming in Technicolor here folks) she will not need a nap during the day and she will fall asleep in her stoller in the evening while we are at the park.

Hey, no laughing!!!

My girl… fall asleep in a stroller??? LOL, I know!

My girl is just not a sleeper. She never has been. She gets just enough sleep to get by and that’s it.

I wish she was more like her cousin Dani. Now she’s a sleeper!! She sleeps in until 9 or 10am and then goes for a 3 hour nap and then goes to bed at 8 pm! Must be nice!

Another issue is potty training.

I’ve heard some horror stories about parents pushing their kids to train when they are not ready so I am going to let Kira decide her own schedule. I’ve tried introducing the idea to her. She’s even tried on a few occasions and totally fluked out on a couple of those attempts but then she pees on her princess undies and she wants her diaper back. LOL!

Now we still have over 2 months to go before we leave so who knows where she will be by then?. With my luck, she will want to bring her potty everywhere we go but continue to “pee pee on Jasmine”!

Secretly, I am hoping that she will still be in diapers. Go ahead and yell at me, I just don’t want to deal with such a huge issue like potty training while we are at the parks and on a cruise!

While some parents encourage their kids to be potty trained for the cruise so they can enjoy the clubs, I know that Kira will be happy in Flounders at night and we can still take her during the day so she will get the best of both worlds.

Well, there you have it…all my fears of traveling with my princess. I am hoping for the best and no matter what happens, we are Disney people and will enjoy every single moment with her in our happy place!

Plus, there’s always bribery right LOL!

She loooooves ice cream....definitely her father's child

Last edited by Timon; 08-07-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
Michelle2
Disneyland will always and forever hold a special place in my heart
Travel is my obsession
poop!

I totally agree with you on the potty training....don't push her, enjoy your vacation, it can wait when you get back and will be so much easier on all of you!

I laughed at the "pee pee on Jasmine"! LOL!
Love the updates, and seeing how you are all doing! I look forward to your trips about as much as my own, can't wait!
Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #14
Timon

DIS Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle2 View Post
I totally agree with you on the potty training....don't push her, enjoy your vacation, it can wait when you get back and will be so much easier on all of you!

I laughed at the "pee pee on Jasmine"! LOL!
Love the updates, and seeing how you are all doing! I look forward to your trips about as much as my own, can't wait!
Michelle, I just noticed your ticker...3 weeks till Disney!!

Oooh please tell me you're writing a trippie
Old 08-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
cntkg1
Runs with Scissors!!
shakes dollar bills for good luck

OMG Cass! That picture of Kira and the ice cream. PRICELESS!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: