Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Need advice on steak

I'm clueless about buying steak. If I wanted to grill some nice steaks, what kind of steak meat would be best to get? I'd rather get meat that I don't have to marinate if possible.

TIA!
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Dismom+two
Dh and I always refer to it as "The Almighty Boards"
Wanted: Warm fuzzy feelings
I am still walking...haven't dropped yet
Almost left the bookstore without her lapdance

DH and I just had Porterhouse...they were WONDERFUL!!!
Nothing like a nice piece of grilled steak!!
Dismom+two is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

New york strip or rib eye's are always delicious. We throw some simple seasonings on them and toss them on the grill. We just had steak tonight!
disneyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

You might have different names over there, but I buy sirloin if I don't want to do too much to it or rump if I'm going to be adding flavours (like for fajitas). Key is not to overcook - not so rare it looks like it will jump up and moo (unless that's what you like) but still with flavour and tenderness. I heard a good tip - better than timing as ovens vary - which avoids sticking a knife in and losing all the juice. If you want rare, when you prod it it should feel like your cheek, for medium your chin and well done your forehead. I suppose it depends a bit how podgy your face is but I'vefound that gives you good "French" doneness (i.e. slightly rarer than you thought you liked, but extra delicious because of that)
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Now I just need to get brave and give it a try on the grill.

By the way, MazdaUK, love the face analogy. Kinda funny, but very handy to know!
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
greeneeyes
Mouseketeer

I buy shell steaks, also called NY strip. I season with salt, pepper & garlic powder then throw them on the grill. I like the thicker ones, but thinner ones will cook quicker if you are in a hurry.

If you get a T bone or porterhouse steak it's really 2 steaks in one... the larger is the loin (or shell steak) and the smaller part is the tenderloin, these are great on the grill or quickly pan fried in a bit of olive oil or butter (season the same as above).
greeneeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

We tend to buy whatever is on sale for a "decent" price, but I think our favorite has been the sirloin. We've tried all types - including T-bone & flank. Honestly, though, we never grill steak without marinating it! I use either the Boma flank marinade or just Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette with nearly all the oil poured off the top of the bottle.

DH always brings home meat that's well marbled & has fat around the edges. He was told by the butcher that those would grill best. Well, apart from the fact that the fat melts & tends to flame up and I like leaner meat I wasn't sure I agree with the butcher. The absolute best steak we ever had was this past weekend...and I brought home pieces that were well trimmed & no marbling. And DH agreed it was the best steak we ever had. LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

We tend to buy whatever is on sale for a "decent" price, but I think our favorite has been the sirloin. We've tried all types - including T-bone & flank. Honestly, though, we never grill steak without marinating it! I use either the Boma flank marinade or just Newman's Own Balsamic Vinaigrette with nearly all the oil poured off the top of the bottle.

DH always brings home meat that's well marbled & has fat around the edges. He was told by the butcher that those would grill best. Well, apart from the fact that the fat melts & tends to flame up and I like leaner meat I wasn't sure I agree with the butcher. The absolute best steak we ever had was this past weekend...and I brought home pieces that were well trimmed & no marbling. And DH agreed it was the best steak we ever had. LOL
Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

what you need is very fine marbling - so it melts to nothing, not thick bits you have to cut out and waste I don't like fatty meat (so I never buy lamb chops - too much waste!) but I think the "marbling and coating" is really for meat which is going to be cooked for longer - like a roast beef joint (I pick a bonedna d rolled rib for this - or just bung a cheaper piece in the crockpot for a similar effect wiht less mess). For something which is grilling/frying fairly quickly, as long as its not a tough old piece you shouldn't need so much fat.
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
traveljunkie2
Mouseketeer

My husband loves rib eye steaks. He sprinkles a little Montreal Steak Seasoning on it and grills it. Don't overcook it, and when you take it off the grill, let it "rest" for about 4 minutes before cutting into it so the juices can get reabsorbed into the meat. He doesn't even bother ordering steak at restaurants anymore, his are so much better.

Last trip: Offsite (Legacy Park) during the great freeze of January 2010! 10 family members, 10 fabulous days!
traveljunkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
donaldduck352
Proud Redhead
What ever ya do try it, you wont be disappointed

Grilling steaks,my specailty.I have worked hard for 20yrs to perfect my recipe.I will give you the does ang dont's.IMO

1'st,the right kinda cut.You can buy Porterhouse,T-Bone or filet mignon.But it wont help for one simple reason.All the REAL butchers are gone(in Florida)Wal-Mart DID put them out of biusness!My fav is the SIRLION.Dont buy the freshest one they just put out,look for the one thats alitlle darker.1/2'thick is the best cut.

2'nd,yes marinating does count.My way is as follows-A 1lbs cut is the best.When you buy it look for A white line in the meat,if its thick then its a bad cut,look for a small tendon line.Get A small bottle of Jack Daniels whisckey.Take the steak and stab it with A fork allover.Then take A tupperware platter that you can cover overnight.If you dont have one use a zip lock bag.I use A small bootle of the whisckey with some tarragon(apinch)And about 2tablespoons of garlic powder and mix it together in a bowl.Place the mixture in the bag first then add the meat,and shake too cover.Let it rest in the fridge for at least 5hrs and shake evey hour or so to let the mixture get to all the meat.

3'rd gas or charcoal.This is were it depends on what you got.Coal is the best but gas you can control the heat.I prefer gas.Get the grill so hot that its hot to the touch(the hotter the better).Pre warning before you start the grill make sure the grate is clean and spray it with PAM that way it wont stick.
Place the steak on the grill in one direction and let it cook for 3min then turn it over in the same direction and cook it the same amount of time.Then turn it in the oppiste direction for another 3min,turn over the sameway and cook another 3min.....

After that the steak is done and all the alchol is cooked out and you have the perfect medium steak.Add BBQ suace afterwords dont cook with BBQ cause the suger will make it burn.

During cooking and the flames get too high,move the meat over to another side of the grill!!

This is the best steak you will ever eat,I promise..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: