Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
4evrdisney
Earning My Ears

Mid-Sept planning tips?

Hey all! We are headed to DLR 9/19-9/25 staying at DLH. Saturday (9/19) we fly in late so will probably just get a quick dinner and turn in for the night. DD2 and DS4 will likely be exhausted after a day of flying so we won't do much. Any suggestions for a low-key place for dinner either at a resort hotel or DTD? Something quick would be great - and we are not fans of Tortilla Jo's or Naples Pizza!

Now, I've never done DLR on a weekend or on-season. Our first day is a Sunday and we will have MM/EE (not sure which it is called). So, hoping to be in the park at 7:00. Then - on a weekend day what is the best plan? I have the unofficial guide and I'm thinking about following the first day of the 2-day plan for adults with children. So, stop at Indiana Jones and get a FP then head to Splash, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates and back to Indiana. Then take Railroad to Tomorrow Land. Any thoughts?

Should we stay at DL for a Sunday? Or would it be smarter to head over to DCA for a busy day? Any other tips for surviving a weekend day?

Also, has anyone taken a 2 and/or 4 year old to watch Fantasmic? I haven't seen it in 10 years and I remember it being scary for their ages. Any thoughts??

thanks all!!
4evrdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

MM will be at DL at 7. That first hour until park opens fully, you are limited to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I'd head to Peter Pan, Nemo and Matterhorn first. The rides you listed and FP machines won't be on until 8. DCA won't open until 10 and it suggested to head over there mid-day when it starts getting busy at DL. Mouse Planet has video of Fantasmic to view. It should be showing Sunday night at 9.

If you are at the resort by 9:25 on Saturday you can watch the fireworks. Not sure if they are showing Sunday or not? Sept. is off season with off-season hours and entertainment schedule. During the week expect DL to be open 10-8 and DCA 10-6.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
kari12177
Having DL withdrawls

Schools always come into factor too. I dont know when kids start school down there, but here my son starts on the 11th. Little less crowded for you if there in session
kari12177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Brady's Mom
"Get off the roof, get off the roof, get off the roof!"
The snowball has hit my family and hit it hard

I would definitely skip Fantasmic! unless your kids handle scary movies at the movie theater well. My little kids (5 and 7) would be totally scared at F! It is big, it is loud and the devil guy from Fantasia (at the very end) is part of the show. Even my big kids don't like him!

Magic Morning is your friend. If you can possibly be there by 6:45 and take advantage of it, you will get on soooo many rides. All of Fantasyland is open (except canal boats) and Peter Pan is a walk on. We always ride that first, then Dumbo, then Alice, then Teacups, then Small World. After that we will hit up Matterhorn and Space and Buzz, but in whatever order we feel like. And we start to pick up FP's as soon as we can.

October 2006 - Family trip September 2007 - 40th B-day trip March 2008 - 12 people trip December 7-12, 2008 - Christmas trip May 25-28, 2009 - Surprise Family Trip
July 16-19, 2009 - DH's 50th B-Day trip! Nov. 1-6, 2009 - Family Trip April 3-10, 2010 - Family Trip October 7-13, 2012 - Family Trip with Best Friends
Brady's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
4evrdisney
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the tip on Fantasmic - I think we will skip it and just take in the fireworks show!

I guess I should clarify - when we go in for EE I was planning to do Fantasyland/Tomorrowland and then at 8:00 head over to Indiana and Splash, etc. Any thoughts on doing Nemo first thing for EE? We went same week last year and never made it on Nemo. This year DS3 is DYING to go on it and wants to go on that ride first thing - before the Fantasyland rides or even Buzz Lightyear! Buzz will be 2nd on my list I'm sure. If we are there at 6:45 to get into the park, how long do you think the Nemo ride will be?

And DCA in the afternoon is a GREAT idea too! DS is SO excited to ride Monsters Inc and TSMM again!
4evrdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
disneynerd420
DIS NINJA

I usually start with a fastpass at Space mountain since I will more than likely be there already due to magic morning.

Disneynerd420's January 2010 Birthday trip report!!! http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post35194091
2 Guys, a Mom and The Mouse. Sept '09 (A disneynerd420 Trip report) PIC INTENSIVE! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2268157
Check out my June 5th through the 10th 2009 trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2203536
disneynerd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrdisney View Post
Thanks for the tip on Fantasmic - I think we will skip it and just take in the fireworks show!

I guess I should clarify - when we go in for EE I was planning to do Fantasyland/Tomorrowland and then at 8:00 head over to Indiana and Splash, etc. Any thoughts on doing Nemo first thing for EE? We went same week last year and never made it on Nemo. This year DS3 is DYING to go on it and wants to go on that ride first thing - before the Fantasyland rides or even Buzz Lightyear! Buzz will be 2nd on my list I'm sure. If we are there at 6:45 to get into the park, how long do you think the Nemo ride will be?

And DCA in the afternoon is a GREAT idea too! DS is SO excited to ride Monsters Inc and TSMM again!
I wouldn't waste the first 30-40 min. of MM on Nemo.

(You could ride PP, Dumbo, Alice AND both sides of the Matterhorn those first 40 min.....then ride Nemo.)

If you have to ride it that first day (I'd wait till Monday morning, but i know kiddo wants to ride "first thing") then I'd ride it either at the :40 or :45 mark of MM or late afternoon or early evening.

(but better still first thing on a NON MM day).

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #8
3Minnies1Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynerd420 View Post
I usually start with a fastpass at Space mountain since I will more than likely be there already due to magic morning.
You look at her dates, SM won't be open until probably the last day.

ETA: OP, use rider swap passes with FPs. If you 4 yo is 40", s/he can ride with each of you.

Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13

Last edited by 3Minnies1Mickey; 07-27-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
brookies_mommy
I'm good on the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evrdisney View Post
Hey all! We are headed to DLR 9/19-9/25 staying at DLH. Saturday (9/19) we fly in late so will probably just get a quick dinner and turn in for the night. DD2 and DS4 will likely be exhausted after a day of flying so we won't do much. Any suggestions for a low-key place for dinner either at a resort hotel or DTD? Something quick would be great - and we are not fans of Tortilla Jo's or Naples Pizza!

Now, I've never done DLR on a weekend or on-season. Our first day is a Sunday and we will have MM/EE (not sure which it is called). So, hoping to be in the park at 7:00. Then - on a weekend day what is the best plan? I have the unofficial guide and I'm thinking about following the first day of the 2-day plan for adults with children. So, stop at Indiana Jones and get a FP then head to Splash, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates and back to Indiana. Then take Railroad to Tomorrow Land. Any thoughts?

Should we stay at DL for a Sunday? Or would it be smarter to head over to DCA for a busy day? Any other tips for surviving a weekend day?

Also, has anyone taken a 2 and/or 4 year old to watch Fantasmic? I haven't seen it in 10 years and I remember it being scary for their ages. Any thoughts??

thanks all!!
What is the unofficial guide? And where do I find it?
brookies_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookies_mommy View Post
What is the unofficial guide? And where do I find it?
A guide for DLR (first done for WDW).

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Gui.../dp/0470285664

A good background resource. (But the tip threads in the stickys provide as much or more)

Pretty good touring plans.

Not as good for inside info or tips as can be found here. & often confuses WDW info with DLR info.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
brookies_mommy
I'm good on the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound 109 View Post
A guide for DLR (first done for WDW).

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Gui.../dp/0470285664

A good background resource. (But the tip threads in the stickys provide as much or more)

Pretty good touring plans.

Not as good for inside info or tips as can be found here. & often confuses WDW info with DLR info.
Im going to go to borders tonight and get it
Old 07-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
3Minnies1Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookies_mommy View Post
Im going to go to borders tonight and get it
Check barnes and noble online. I didn't get Unofficial, but got Hidden Mickey and Disneyland Detective used for half the price....if you can wait a week to get it.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
brookies_mommy
I'm good on the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
Check barnes and noble online. I didn't get Unofficial, but got Hidden Mickey and Disneyland Detective used for half the price....if you can wait a week to get it.
I wasn't graced with patience Whats Hidden Mickey and Disneyland Detective? Should I get those too? Unofficial will keep me busy for about a week lol
Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Kayla's Mom
You are not alone!! I have several Disney shirts
Dessert for hubby it is!!!

While we are throwing out book suggestions - I have the Disneyland Encyclopedia and I LOVE it! It has entries (alphabetized) for every attraction, shop, etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: