Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

DH and I were in the living room...

talking about negotiating the price of a new vehicle. The older we get, the less we want to part with our money.

Anyway, we heard a car beeping out front. DH looked out the front window and saw a new Toyota FJ Cruiser in our driveway. It was one of DS's friends. I asked DS if his friend drives his parents' car. DS said, "No, it's his." DS (17) and his friends are seniors. I didn't have a $20K+ car at that age! In fact, DH and I didn't have any cars at that age. My father bought me my first car for $900.

After DS left, DH looked at me and said, while he was pointing out the window toward the FJ, "What the he@@? I'm a hard-working professional and here I'm hesitating over buying a new vehicle and this kid is driving that!" I had to burst out laughing!!! He then said, "I think we are overthinking this decision." Yeah, we probably are!
RitaZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

DH & I have been in the OC one year now.....yup, it is like living at the AUTO SHOW around here. The kiddos drive everything from Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Maserti....YUP, even Maserti's!!! Amazing.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
DH & I have been in the OC one year now.....yup, it is like living at the AUTO SHOW around here. The kiddos drive everything from Mercedes, Lexus, BMW,YUP, even Maserti's!!! Amazing.
We have that here, too. I'm always shocked though.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
Just Jan
Earning My Ears Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaZ. View Post
talking about negotiating the price of a new vehicle. The older we get, the less we want to part with our money.

Anyway, we heard a car beeping out front. DH looked out the front window and saw a new Toyota FJ Cruiser in our driveway. It was one of DS's friends. I asked DS if his friend drives his parents' car. DS said, "No, it's his." DS (17) and his friends are seniors. I didn't have a $20K+ car at that age! In fact, DH and I didn't have any cars at that age. My father bought me my first car for $900.

After DS left, DH looked at me and said, while he was pointing out the window toward the FJ, "What the he@@? I'm a hard-working professional and here I'm hesitating over buying a new vehicle and this kid is driving that!" I had to burst out laughing!!! He then said, "I think we are overthinking this decision." Yeah, we probably are!
This made me giggle. Much to my kids chagrin I will only pay for basic cable on the TV st approx $13.00
I am thinking of buying a Toyota Corolla, so thAT PROCESS SHOULD TAKE AWHILE
Just Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
iNTeNSeBLue98
DIS Veteran

DD's first car, which we bought and must repair, is costing us $250 plus repairs that DH and his dad can do. Fortunately the biggest expense so far is a timing chain. Oh, and it wasn't for her 16th birthday. She only got her permit six months ago at 17.5. She just turned 18 this month and will go for her license next week. The car was more of a graduation present from us.

Nov 19-27 1999 Millennium Celebration - All Star Movies
Jun 10-17 2006 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Pop Century
Aug 27-Sep 2 2007 Year of a Million Dreams - Caribbean Beach

Last edited by iNTeNSeBLue98; 06-29-2009 at 09:16 PM.
iNTeNSeBLue98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

We buy used. DH and I agreed that we will get a NEW car when we are in our 50's....maybe.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
ma2jr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The older we get, the less we want to part with our money.

Ditto
ma2jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
mumom95
DIS Veteran

I used to teach at a private school in southern California, and I couldn't believe the number of students that got $35,000+ cars for their 16th birthday.

My thing about that is, what do these kids have to look forward to. Getting a car at 16 is exciting, even if it's an old, used, not in the best shape type car. As long as it moves and you can say it's yours, that's all most 16 year olds need to get excited over. Then, when you graduate from college and get your first real job, you buy your first new car. It's not necessarily a $35,000+ car, but it's new and it's the first car you bought, and that's exciting. Then, when you are in your late 20's, early 30's and little more established in your career, that's when you get the more expensive new car.

Each one is a step up, and each one is exciting. If you start out with the $35,000+ car at 16, it's going to take a yacht or private plane in your late twenties to get you excited.

1990 High School band trip - stayed offsite, 1996 Honeymoon - Carribean Beach Resort, 2007 Thanksgiving - Wilderness Lodge, 2008 Christmas - Port Orleans Riverside , March 2009 Disney Cruise on the Magic, August 2009 Disney cruise on the Wonder
mumom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

Quote:

That car/SUV cost a lot more than $20! My used one cost a lot more than $20K. My parents bought me a $1500 Gran Torino for me when I graduated from high school, not before.

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

I have owned only 4 cars all bought brand new. They were bought in 1963, 1969, 1977, 1993.

That is one reason I have a comfortable retirement. I know one person who is retired and is struggling. I asked him why. He listed off the cars he bought. It was almost every two years.

They say the most expensive thing you buy is your home. The second are cars.

Those kids are well on their way to a disappointment.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
RitaZ.
Move on don't hesitate
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumom95 View Post
I used to teach at a private school in southern California, and I couldn't believe the number of students that got $35,000+ cars for their 16th birthday.

My thing about that is, what do these kids have to look forward to. Getting a car at 16 is exciting, even if it's an old, used, not in the best shape type car. As long as it moves and you can say it's yours, that's all most 16 year olds need to get excited over. Then, when you graduate from college and get your first real job, you buy your first new car. It's not necessarily a $35,000+ car, but it's new and it's the first car you bought, and that's exciting. Then, when you are in your late 20's, early 30's and little more established in your career, that's when you get the more expensive new car.

Each one is a step up, and each one is exciting. If you start out with the $35,000+ car at 16, it's going to take a yacht or private plane in your late twenties to get you excited.
It's going to be a real shock for some when they realize that salaries don't go as far as we'd like.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
mumom95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's going to be a real shock for some when they realize that salaries don't go as far as we'd like.
They'll just go into debt for what they want. Or mommy and daddy will continue to support them through adulthood.

1990 High School band trip - stayed offsite, 1996 Honeymoon - Carribean Beach Resort, 2007 Thanksgiving - Wilderness Lodge, 2008 Christmas - Port Orleans Riverside , March 2009 Disney Cruise on the Magic, August 2009 Disney cruise on the Wonder
mumom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: