Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
JUJU814
DIS Veteran

Going to Disney without the kids??

I have three children: 5, 7 and 17. We took them on a wonderful trip to Disney last August and are planning to take them again next year.

My 17 year old and I rarely get mother/daughter time alone apart from the little ones...and she needs a little of that.

We were talking last night with her and her friend (who is a lovely girl!) and came up with the idea of a girls trip to Disney. My daughter and myself, and her friend and mom, whom I'm really friendly with.

We would have so much fun. It would be so different than taking small children. We were thinking of this very last minute..like this August.

Problem is, I feel horribly guilty if I go to Disney world without the little ones. Leaving them is not the issue. My husband could stay with them, and I have a nanny that has stayed with them. It's the idea of going to a place like Disney.

But it's not like they've never been..or haven't been for a long time. It hasn't even been a year.

I feel like I need permission!!

If we did do it, I wouldn't tell the kids "oh we're going to Disney World"

On the other hand, my oldest daughter had me to herself for 10 years and does so much to help me. I'd love to do this special thing with her.

Thoughts???

Julie
JUJU814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
gojoe
DIS Veteran

Wow

That's a tough one. My wife and I take a trip to DW every year without the girls (step-daughter and grand-daughter) same age 14. Every other year we take them to DW. We've been doing this since we were married 5 years ago. At first we had a major issues with my step daughter. My wife ended up taking her somewhere during spring break to solve that issue. She still likes her trips with her mom but it's no longer an issue. My only advise is talk to your kids.
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
PrincessTaylorsMom
Mouseketeer

Don't feel guilty! The fact that your 17yo wants to take an alone time girls trip to DW is awesome. You are going to be able to take many more trips to Disney with the little ones, but the older one will be on her own soon. This will be a marvelous memory for you both.

You can make it into an adventure for the other kids as well. Tell them they have a chance for some alone time with Daddy (or the nanny). They'll be fine.

Have a great time.

4/13 Beach Club, 10/2011 Beach Club, 9/2009 ASMu, 12/07 Poly, 7/95 Dixie Landing, 1977-1986 Off site (many times with mom & dad)
PrincessTaylorsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
drinkme
DIS Veteran

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I have 3 kids about the same exact age as yours. Not sure if I could do that, but I've been thinking about it...lol. Here are some other options for you to consider:

1. Do the mother/older dd trip, but then you'll have to plan a mother/younger kid trip for the Fall. Your older dd probably can't get pulled out of school anyway, and the younger kids can. Maybe do the Halloween party. The little ones will LOVE that.

2. Take all of the kids on your trip, but send the little ones to the babysitting place a couple of nights. I know there used to be one at the Poly with a Peter Pan theme.

Let us know what you decide!

HTH
drinkme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
treehugnmama
I am soo excited i just have a problem with procrastination

I had planned a trip with just dh (in 6 years we have never even gone to a movie) and ended up feeling guilty and added kids to the trip.

That being said I say go for it. You will feel guilty BUT your 17 yr old will be on her own soon as another poster mentioned and this would be sooo special for you both.

I agree to play it up with dad and maybey have him take them on some day trips to make it special for them. That is usually pretty easy with a 5 and 7 year old, special parks, water park etc? I live by Niagara falls canada and there are lots of day trips to go on.

I would grab this oportunity because your 17 year old will be busy with her own life soon.....although you will probably get over it just think you can take them on a special "teenager" trip when they are older....might ake some guilt go away.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Okay, mom. Take a deep breath. You are hereby given permission to make some fantastic memories with your teenage daughter without the little kids.

I would *not* have an ounce of remorse about taking this trip and leaving the little ones at home. They will have their turns. Your 17yo is fast approaching that age when children start moving out of our circle and into their own lives. The fact that she actually *wants* to take a trip with you says a lot. Why would you not want to honor that?

I would not lie to the younger kids, either. Just tell them the truth--you think they're not going to find out?? Ha! Tell them that this is a special trip that each child can have when they turn 17. They might be upset that they can't go, but so what--they'll just have to get over it. Let Dad plan something uber cool to do at home while you're gone.

Incidently, DH and I took a couples trip to WDW--the horror It was at the end of a terrible year during which he nearly died. We needed some time to relax and have some fun by ourselves. We told the kids that we would take them next time but for now Mom & Dad need a break. They were disappointed at the time but they understood. And the next year, we *did* take them--to the Poly

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: