Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Early AM Crystal Palace ADR mainly for photos?

I've seriously considered trying to get the earliest possible ADR for Crystal Palace on some upcoming trip with my primary motivation being a chance for Cinderella Castle photos without throngs of guests in the shot. Don't get me wrong; I'd definitely want to actually partake of the breakfast, but if I tried for the earliest ADR, photography would be the reason.

Anyone here ever do that? How much time, realistically, would you have to stop and take photos? Will cast members give you a hard time about it if you take an actual minute or two to do this? If I could, I'd have my tripod and camera ready to go as I was walking down the street and could probably be done within two minutes or less -- I'd prefer to shoot a bracketed sequence or two for HDR purposes if I could.

What's the scoop? I may try it anyway at some point -- I do love a good breakfast buffet better than pretty much any other meal, and I prefer an early start on those rare instances when I can drag my wife out of bed before 9 am -- but I'd like to know what I could reasonably expect to be able to do, as opposed to looking like a big doofus (more so than usual, anyway).

SSB
Old 06-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Evad
Our Greatest Natural Resource Is The Minds Of Our Children; Walter Elias Disney

We did this in 05. I took pics all the way up Main st. USA. Though I did not go right up to the castle, I did take about 15 mins working my way up to the restaurant. It allowed me plenty of time to get some really nice detail shots of Main st. USA as well some great distance shots of the castle. The photopass photogarphers were already out at this time time as well. Our adr was for 8:30 and we arrived at the park just before 8:00 am. I say go for it.

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 / Nikkor 70-300mm VR / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 / SB 400 / Fuji S700 /

Evad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Miller1412
DIS Cast Member
"X"
Official Tag Fairy Landing Target
Real cooks laugh at me

We do it every time we go. I think it's worth being able to get in and grab some great photos without being herded like cattle down Main St. Plus you get the added benefit of a yummy breakfast and if you eat quickly, you can still be out and in the hub before the rope drop.

My DH usually goes on ahead to check in at the CP and I shoot away, but honestly, we only have about 15 minutes or so before we have to be at the doors to be seated, but it's enough to get some nice shots in.

1995 Dixie Landings Honeymoon, 2005 10 Year Family Anniversary at AKL, 2006 10 days in paradise at the Poly! Upcoming Jan. Weekend getaway!
Miller1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Experiment_626
Stealth Geek

Okay, 15 minutes sounds like enough time to get quite a few exposures.

I know Crystal Palace is a hot ticket, but I wonder how difficult it is to get that earliest ADR. I know most people seem less inclined to get up that early on vacation. I'll also have to double-check that the morning I choose doesn't offer AM Extra Magic Hours at the MK; I imagine that would defeat the purpose ...

SSB
Old 06-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment_626 View Post
Okay, 15 minutes sounds like enough time to get quite a few exposures.

I know Crystal Palace is a hot ticket, but I wonder how difficult it is to get that earliest ADR. I know most people seem less inclined to get up that early on vacation. I'll also have to double-check that the morning I choose doesn't offer AM Extra Magic Hours at the MK; I imagine that would defeat the purpose ...

SSB
From what I can see over on the restaurant board when I pop by, the first ADR of the morning at CP is something that is pretty tough to get (or has been in the past). Usually, people call 90 days out for it.

However, what I have also heard is that whether you have an 8:05am ADR or an 8:15am ADR, they let everyone in that has pre-park opening reservations at the same time. So even if you can't get an 8:05am ADR----it might actually work out better to have one that's a little later but still show up as early as you would if your reservation was first-thing.

We are planning to do this for our trip in December, make sure to share how it goes if you end up getting an early reservation!

Ann
Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

We have an 8:05 CP and an 8:05 Tusker house ressie in August. I am planning on walking very slowly so I can get some shots without crowds. The problem will be getting everyone up and going for those.
GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

I got an 8:05 ADR at Crystal Palace during our June '06 trip. They open the gates for those with early ADR's at CP or in the Castle at 7:45am. SWEEEET. We got there about 7:50. I was fine with being a little late for our reservation time, but DW was hungry. I did get a few nice shots, though in June at 8am the sun has been up for quite a few hours. I would love to go in December and get the early ADR. Sunrise is much later so 8am would have some real good light (so long as the weather is nice).

7:51am June 11, 2006:

7:52am June 11, 2006:

I liked this one too...
8:00am June 11, 2006:
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
GoofyontheHiSeas
Do you know the Nutmeg Man.. The king of whats left

Thanks so much Kyle. I was hoping that it looked like that early in the morning.
GoofyontheHiSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Pooh_Girl
I have a rumbly in my tumbly!!

Ok, here's my suggestion (we did this last October.) Look at the hours of park operation and find a day that does NOT have extra magic hour in the morning; book an ADR for that day!! We had an ADR for Cinderella's Royal Table at 8:05 and the park did not open until 9:00. They actually let us into the park around 7:30 and I made sure that we were one of the first ones onto Main Street so that I could take pictures w/o one person in front of me. I took photos all the way up to the castle. I'll see if I can find a couple...

Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
JR6ooo4

The Dr. Seuss of Poo
Using kerosene lanterns for light? Kerosene, who are you kidding? When did they invent kerosene?

Location: Arlington Heights, Illinois (26 miles Northwest of Walt's Birthplace)

Ya, we tried that our last trip, had an 8:05 reso. But it was thundering and lightning, and much rain, so we slept in a little. It stopped and we still made it to MK time for our first ever rope drop.

and since it was rainy and cold before dawn not many people were there.There could not have been more than 200 people that morning, waiting for Mickey and the guest family to ride in on the train.

Mikeeee
JR6ooo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post
I got an 8:05 ADR at Crystal Palace during our June '06 trip. They open the gates for those with early ADR's at CP or in the Castle at 7:45am. SWEEEET. We got there about 7:50. I was fine with being a little late for our reservation time, but DW was hungry. I did get a few nice shots, though in June at 8am the sun has been up for quite a few hours. I would love to go in December and get the early ADR. Sunrise is much later so 8am would have some real good light (so long as the weather is nice).

7:52am June 11, 2006:

At that hour I like the lighting of our pictures. And - that's a great date you were there - my 40th BD! I was in the west coast park that day heading off to the Walk in Walt's footstep tour only on PDT. This made me smile seeing WDW on the same day!

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Alztybrn
Was there life before TIVO?

I did something different than most people. I made a later ADR...8:45. We still got into the parks at 7:45. That gave me an hour to take pictures, and still not be late for my ADR. Yea...you miss the rope drop, but you will get some fabulous photos!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #13
senecabeach
people don't stop playing because they have grown old.....they have grown old because they have stopped playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh_Girl View Post
Ok, here's my suggestion (we did this last October.) Look at the hours of park operation and find a day that does NOT have extra magic hour in the morning; book an ADR for that day!! We had an ADR for Cinderella's Royal Table at 8:05 and the park did not open until 9:00. They actually let us into the park around 7:30 and I made sure that we were one of the first ones onto Main Street so that I could take pictures w/o one person in front of me. I took photos all the way up to the castle. I'll see if I can find a couple...
I do it on every trip...especially when I'm solo....
Yea...this ole' lady having breakfast, solo, with Pooh & friends..
The secret is as Pooh_Girl states...BE SURE its NOT an EMH day!!
ENJOY !!

Here's one...just as the rope dropped...
Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

Just about two weeks ago we had an 8:25 ADR at CP. The CM's let us in about 8:05, right when we got there. I had heard they held you back and would only let you in 10 or 15 minutes before your ADR but it looked like they weren't even checking. We had time to get a few shots of Main St, the castle, and Walt's statue. We also had out picture took with a photopass photographer in front of the castle. I would say we took about 10 minutes walking in and taking pictures. The CM's didn't seem to mind.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
keywestbride
Mouseketeer

We're planning on doing the earliest ADR at CP for just this reason. Seeing everyone's great shots makes me that much more excited!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: