Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #1261
debranator
earless

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Thinking a pin is a scrapper just because it is cheap is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Going solely by the price to judge is a pin is real or not? Come on! You don't know where they get their pins, or who the get them from or how cheap they get them! There are obviously places because there are a lot of sellers selling new pins on eBay for great prices now.

I am a pin collector and buy LOTS and LOTS of pins on eBay, and I've dealt with lots of sellers.

I also trade pins locally at the parks, and with other traders so I think I know a good deal about pins.

The seller you posted a link to, pham322, sells legit pins. I have purchased from them a lot. The first time I purchased from them it was for vinylmation pins, the Holiday 2 series. I have to admit I was skeptical at first, as the prices were good.

The pins came and they were real. I then ordered the chasers to the Animal Kingdom set, and they came new on the card, and were perfect.

So, anyway, I just wanted to defend that seller since I've personally enjoyed their low prices, and gotten the real thing from them

Another seller who I buy from ALL the time is funmamas. I know that she is on the "bad" sellers list, but that was from 2009

She mostly sells new pins ON THE CARD at SUPER prices, and just like pham322, I rely on her for great pins I don't want to pay full price for at the parks.

And as for her having "scrappers" ... I buy brand new, in the unopened pack with the price sticker on it booster packs for around 12.99 each. A super price for REAL traders
you know what they say...
about...
"if people had the same opinions..there would not be horse racing?"

I looked at your reports..they are WONDERFUL!
I did the same thing last year.
I packed us all up from NYC
and moved here.
I do not know where 4 corners is though..
is it close to me..?
I am in west winter garden...near windermere.
I go to the parks all the time also..
and..would love to have a pal to fight with.
debranator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #1262
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debranator View Post
you know what they say...
about...
"if people had the same opinions..there would not be horse racing?"

I looked at your reports..they are WONDERFUL!
I did the same thing last year.
I packed us all up from NYC
and moved here.
I do not know where 4 corners is though..
is it close to me..?
I am in west winter garden...near windermere.
I go to the parks all the time also..
and..would love to have a pal to fight with.
Never heard that one, lol.

Thanks for the compliments on the reports, it was fun doing it

Four Corners is not near Windermere or Winter Garden, it's on 192 & US 27, about 6 miles from WDW on 192.

We try and visit the parks as much as possible, when it's not hot or busy

Living Our Dream

Disney World is our Backyard !!!
earthfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #1263
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thinking a pin is a scrapper just because it is cheap is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. ......

And as for her having "scrappers" ... I buy brand new, in the unopened pack with the price sticker on it booster packs for around 12.99 each. A super price for REAL traders
Wow. I only heard of pin trading about three days ago, and I've already said the dumbest thing ever heard! That must be a new record for me.
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
August 2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.
October 21-26, 2012, WDW - All Star Movies, Food and Wine, and MNSSHP

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)
Piglet99645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #1264
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet99645 View Post
Wow. I only heard of pin trading about three days ago, and I've already said the dumbest thing ever heard! That must be a new record for me.
I wasn't directing that comment to you personally. I know how much pins cost, and if I bought every pin I wanted at Disney regular price it would be thousands of dollars. I'm sure these sellers spend their time finding good deals, and buying in bulk wholesale, to give us the opportunity to buy the pins we love at prices we can afford, and we are judging them and not buying from them, just because they are giving us a good price!

I for one appreciate the sellers I buy from, two of who I've named above, and I do get upset reading hurtful comments about them from people who are judging them and aren't even correct in their assumptions!

These "opinions" on this thread are hurting lots of people. It's hurting the good sellers on eBay who were marked as bad even up to 2 years ago because 1 person said they got a fake.

It's hurting people like YOU who have just learned about pin trading and are coming to this thread and reading these "opinions" and are now hesitant or scared to buy pins at a great deal, and I don't want it to hurt me, the buyer, of pins I know are real, from sellers I KNOW are good.

I personally don't need those sellers to charge almost full retail, or double the price to prove to me they are real

Living Our Dream

Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #1265
debranator
earless

[QUOTE=earthfaries;40450112]I wasn't directing that comment to you personally. I know how much pins cost, and if I bought every pin I wanted at Disney regular price it would be thousands of dollars. I'm sure these sellers spend their time finding good deals, and buying in bulk wholesale, to give us the opportunity to buy the pins we love at prices we can afford, and we are judging them and not buying from them, just because they are giving us a good price!

I for one appreciate the sellers I buy from, two of who I've named above, and I do get upset reading hurtful comments about them from people who are judging them and aren't even correct in their assumptions!

These "opinions" on this thread are hurting lots of people. It's hurting the good sellers on eBay who were marked as bad even up to 2 years ago because 1 person said they got a fake.

It's hurting people like YOU who have just learned about pin trading and are coming to this thread and reading these "opinions" and are now hesitant or scared to buy pins at a great deal, and I don't want it to hurt me, the buyer, of pins I know are real, from sellers I KNOW are good.

I personally don't need those sellers to charge almost full retail, or double the price to prove to me they are real
[/QUOTE
but, a lot of these sellers..sell fake pins..along with real pins..
you have just been lucky..not to have gotten any.
I do trade pins all the time..
and will not list or sell...
many of the same ones that the above sellers have,
because I know they are fake.
ps..you are not one of these sellers..are you?
so..back to your trip reports...
I am going to keep reading them...
I think that you are..magical.[even if we differ in our opinions]
do you shop behind the kingdom?
I am going tomorrow..
I heard they got in some pins.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #1266
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't directing that comment to you personally.
OH. You quoted me directly, so you see my confusion.

I have found this thread very educational, and I hope someone takes your input and puts it on the first page.... because it sounds like you have had good experiences with several sellers who are not listed.

Thank you for your input.
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #1267
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=debranator;40450236]
Quote:
I wasn't directing that comment to you personally. I know how much pins cost, and if I bought every pin I wanted at Disney regular price it would be thousands of dollars. I'm sure these sellers spend their time finding good deals, and buying in bulk wholesale, to give us the opportunity to buy the pins we love at prices we can afford, and we are judging them and not buying from them, just because they are giving us a good price!

[/QUOTE
but, a lot of these sellers..sell fake pins..along with real pins..
you have just been lucky..not to have gotten any.
I do trade pins all the time..
and will not list or sell...
many of the same ones that the above sellers have,
because I know they are fake.
ps..you are not one of these sellers..are you?
so..back to your trip reports...
I am going to keep reading them...
I think that you are..magical.[even if we differ in our opinions]
do you shop behind the kingdom?
I am going tomorrow..
I heard they got in some pins.
Where is behind the kingdom? Is it a Cast store?

I buy most of my pins that I don't get from eBay from the Pin Hut in DTD. I just bought the Cinderella Piece of Movie History pins last night, and I love the new D series from here, and DL.

Glad you're enjoying the TR , and no, I'm not a seller, as stated in my moving report I am in childcare, have been for the past 14 years

Do you sell on eBay? I'm always looking for great new sellers!

Living Our Dream

Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #1268
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OH. You quoted me directly, so you see my confusion.

I have found this thread very educational, and I hope someone takes your input and puts it on the first page.... because it sounds like you have had good experiences with several sellers who are not listed.

Thank you for your input.
I quoted you because you posted a link to a seller I buy from, and my post was mainly about that seller.

I hope so too ~ that is the point of this thread right ?

Living Our Dream

Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #1269
debranator
earless

[QUOTE=earthfaries;40450317]
Quote:

Where is behind the kingdom? Is it a Cast store?

I buy most of my pins that I don't get from eBay from the Pin Hut in DTD. I just bought the Cinderella Piece of Movie History pins last night, and I love the new D series from here, and DL.

Glad you're enjoying the TR , and no, I'm not a seller, as stated in my moving report I am in childcare, have been for the past 14 years

Do you sell on eBay? I'm always looking for great new sellers!

Yes, it is a cast store..
the leftover park stuff goes there.
call me..we can go together...
pm me for my number.
I also buy a lot at the pin hut..
but, mostly ap and dvc pins to sell...
as..they are the only ones..that the pin hustlers cannot undervalue.
I did not finish your trip reports...yet..
so..I did not notice what you said you did for a living.
I make my living selling on ebay...
and since I moved here..
I am selling a lot of Disney.
But..to make money..
I sort of specialize in harder to find pins,vinylmations and other things that are not on ebay..
for half of my cost..
even with the pap discount.
i have branched out into something new on ebay.
I have always been the kind of seller that does not have the best prices..but..has the best service.
so..I am also making a living as a Disney personal shopper.
I search for stuff that collectors want..and cannot get as they do not live near the park.
I know their names..and..I know the kinds of things they like..
so..I buy em for em.
I have to make money..so my prices are not the best..
but..who else will search every store at every park for you?
then buy it...
and..email you the pics..so that you can then decide if you want it?
and..then..wraps every package in fancy tissue..and includes free theme park maps and such?
so..I found a niche.
do you have a premium pass?
you get a 20 % discount with one.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #1270
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Earthfairies (or anyone).

Can you recommend a seller that will sell a "lot" of pins that would be a fairly safe purchase? At this point, quantity over quality is kind of what I'm going for, but I don't want $100% crap. My kids are still really too young to appreciate the "collectors" angle of this...

Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #1271
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
OK I think I am starting to get the hang of this.

So I would guess this is a scrapper? http://myworld.ebay.com/pham322/

Tons of pins (not sold in lots, tho) at very low "buy it now" prices.... ?

Similar question re: http://myworld.ebay.com/disneypinpros/ but her "buy it now" prices plus shipping seem a little more realistic.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts. This is fun.
Looking at both of these....I would buy from Pham, even before I read what earthfairies had posted I had clicked watch on a few of these auctions. I wouldn't make the snap judgement of a seller like Pham having all scrappers, I would absolutely buy from them before making that assumption...but then most of MY FB is from me buying pins, not simply looking at the auctions, that's why I haven't been as vocal here lately, I haven't been going to DL once a month so I haven't needed to buy traders. I'm going to buy a few from Pham and come back and give my thoughts. Propins tho, that one makes me nervous...again, I'm going to get a few pins and give my thoughts but my honest feelings are scrappers...how else can they list a lot of 25 pins for 99 cents.......my gut is screaming "too cheap, run away" but I'll see what I can get the lot for and see what my impressions are...yes I will also bid on a few singles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebee21 View Post
I've seen the other sets she's selling in either of the two stores though, not just the 2010 ones, I just don't remember exactly how much they were, since we didn't buy them.

As far as the LE pins, is this what you found? http://going24-7.com/pins/disney_pins_le.html I've been looking at this site for a couple weeks now, and I'm sure they're not real, but it still has peaked my curiousity!
Ohhhh that site looks interesting...I've bookmarked it, I'll be going back for more research later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizesmom View Post
Thanks for the hint on toomanypostcards4me. I just got a pin from her for a song (and I don't carry a tune). I'll try to remember to let you all know if I got a good one.
I won 4 pins from toomanypostcards4me last night....I'll be giving a report when I get them, I tried for more than 4 but was outbid at the last second.

Quote:
Thinking a pin is a scrapper just because it is cheap is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Going solely by the price to judge is a pin is real or not? Come on! You don't know where they get their pins, or who the get them from or how cheap they get them! There are obviously places because there are a lot of sellers selling new pins on eBay for great prices now.

I am a pin collector and buy LOTS and LOTS of pins on eBay, and I've dealt with lots of sellers.

I also trade pins locally at the parks, and with other traders so I think I know a good deal about pins.

The seller you posted a link to, pham322, sells legit pins. I have purchased from them a lot. The first time I purchased from them it was for vinylmation pins, the Holiday 2 series. I have to admit I was skeptical at first, as the prices were good.

The pins came and they were real. I then ordered the chasers to the Animal Kingdom set, and they came new on the card, and were perfect.

So, anyway, I just wanted to defend that seller since I've personally enjoyed their low prices, and gotten the real thing from them

Another seller who I buy from ALL the time is funmamas. I know that she is on the "bad" sellers list, but that was from 2009

She mostly sells new pins ON THE CARD at SUPER prices, and just like pham322, I rely on her for great pins I don't want to pay full price for at the parks.

Thanks for the FB on funmamas and pham......I really appreciate it. I also agree that you can't make this determination based on pictures or prices....it's always best to buy from the seller yourself and then give FB. Unfortunately the owner of this thread has sort of disappeared, he's not around as much as he was when he started this thread so yes, the first page is sorely outdated....I am also unemployed and not buying pins for fun right now so I can't really give good opinions, I wanted to start a new thread but I feel funny doing so without actually buying the pins......

Quote:
I knew earthfairies wasn't directing that at you personally as soon as I read it, don't feel bad, you didn't say anything dumb. You just are new and you just don't know... This thread is to hopefully help new traders find good pins to trade and not scrappers...unfortunately it's old so it's not really doing what it was meant to do when it was first started.

Quote:
Earthfairies (or anyone).

Can you recommend a seller that will sell a "lot" of pins that would be a fairly safe purchase? At this point, quantity over quality is kind of what I'm going for, but I don't want $100% crap. My kids are still really too young to appreciate the "collectors" angle of this...
I bought lots from Pinderellas_castle....they were 100% legit as far as I could tell...she sold me a lot of 50 for $80 and she shipped to my hotel, yes that's cheap but they were good pins. I had to message her and ask her to make up a lot for me tho, she didn't have any lots listed on her eBay store page.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #1272
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

In regards to pricing, I've wondered if any of these items are stolen. With sets and pins on cards so cheap, what do you think?
DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #1273
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunner2009 View Post
In regards to pricing, I've wondered if any of these items are stolen. With sets and pins on cards so cheap, what do you think?
That's my concern when I see newer pins on the card. You can only get them so cheap and people are selling them for less than cost..... I also worry with whether they trade with newbies and have them go into the gift shop and buy them pins, only to trade them garbage, and sell the new pins on ebay.....

So, for example, since Pham322 is already being discussed, they have this pin for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-Pin-2011-...item1e61f4893a

It retails for $10.95. They are selling it for $6 and $3.00 shipping charge. Let's just assume that the $3.00 covers the actual shipping cost, bubble wrap and envelope, ebay fees and paypal fees. Even if the seller is a cast member and gets 30-35% off ( I can't remember what they actually get, but I think that's the highest percentage?), they're still paying $7.xx plus tax for the pin. So how are they making money???
Old 03-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #1274
debranator
earless

Quote:
That's my concern when I see newer pins on the card. You can only get them so cheap and people are selling them for less than cost..... I also worry with whether they trade with newbies and have them go into the gift shop and buy them pins, only to trade them garbage, and sell the new pins on ebay.....

So, for example, since Pham322 is already being discussed, they have this pin for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-Pin-2011-...item1e61f4893a

It retails for $10.95. They are selling it for $6 and $3.00 shipping charge. Let's just assume that the $3.00 covers the actual shipping cost, bubble wrap and envelope, ebay fees and paypal fees. Even if the seller is a cast member and gets 30-35% off ( I can't remember what they actually get, but I think that's the highest percentage?), they're still paying $7.xx plus tax for the pin. So how are they making money???
That is what I have been saying all along/
it makes no sense...
not the pins..that just came out.
and..the 3 bucks does not include the shipping and all the fees..
figure it to be about 70 cents more.
The only answer I came up with..outside just plain stealing..
is that these folks are the epcot pin sharks..
you know the ones that make tourists buy them brand new le pins in exchange for a 2 buck cm pin.
edit..wow!
I did not see the top of your note.
you said it first..it may be the pin sharks.
ps..I forgot..
here is a good seller I have bought from before..and if you get lucky..you can get a good deal...http://shop.ebay.com/gitanoman/m.htm...from=&_ipg=200

Last edited by debranator; 03-24-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #1275
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:

Well, if they are using rewards then really they are paying nothing out of pocket...but yes, IMO it's likely that they are one of the sharks (nanub anyone) who tells people to "go buy x pin for a trade" and then they are listing that pin on eBay and making money on it. I mean that's what I assume when I see things like that....but that's just MY assumption and it could be totally wrong, I don't know that seller, I've never bought from them, even if I had I still wouldn't know where or how they got the pin in question......it's just a guess as to what the "real" situation is....you know what I mean.....and NO $3 will not cover the shipping charges....when I sell on eBay and do shipments via USPS, the charges are a minimum of $5, that's not including wrapping materials either. It's ridiculous and honestly, that's part of why I don't sell a lot on eBay, the shipping charges are just ridiculous.....

Quote:
That is what I have been saying all along/
it makes no sense...
not the pins..that just came out.
and..the 3 bucks does not include the shipping and all the fees..
figure it to be about 70 cents more.
The only answer I came up with..outside just plain stealing..
is that these folks are the epcot pin sharks..
you know the ones that make tourists buy them brand new le pins in exchange for a 2 buck cm pin.
edit..wow!
I did not see the top of your note.
you said it first..it may be the pin sharks.
ps..I forgot..
here is a good seller I have bought from before..and if you get lucky..you can get a good deal...http://shop.ebay.com/gitanoman/m.htm...from=&_ipg=200
I've purchased from gitanoman many times and have always been very happy with what I've received.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: