Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #1246
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

Hiding them in easter eggs is an awesome idea!

part of me wishes I had not read this thread, because now I am going to notice if I have "scrapper" pins, and I would have been totally clueless two days ago!!

No, seriously. Lots of good info here.
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
August 2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.
October 21-26, 2012, WDW - All Star Movies, Food and Wine, and MNSSHP

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)
Piglet99645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #1247
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet99645 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone wish to comment on these? I'm not sure if this is what I should be getting for starter sets for my kids.... but the price is tempting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-KIDS-FLEX...item2c5b8f41cd
I think you're fine buying from this seller. Aside from the DISNEY PINS TODDLER BOYS PRINCES 7 PIN BOOSTER SET NEW, I've seen all other sets sold at the Disney Outlet and the Character Outlet stores we have in Vegas. I understand what Debranator is saying about them being cheap, but at the Disney Store outlet, they sell the stuff cheap, cheap cheap when they actually have pins in stock. I picked up 10 of the 2010 character starburst sets for $5 each when they had an extra 30% off clearance plus my 10% chase disney visa in Dec for our Disney World Trip and I bought DISNEY CELEBRATE DELUXE STARTER SET 8 PINS for either $9.99 or $12.99 about 6 months ago at the Character Outlet. This seller is selling older sets. The other seller that Debranator is questioning with the gift cards and cheap prices had newer sets (nerds, toy story, 2011 pins, muppets) which are still sold at Disney and not being cleared out.....

Last edited by carebee21; 03-23-2011 at 12:17 AM.
carebee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #1248
debranator
earless

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebee21 View Post
I think you're fine buying from this seller. Aside from the DISNEY PINS TODDLER BOYS PRINCES 7 PIN BOOSTER SET NEW, I've seen all other sets sold at the Disney Outlet and the Character Outlet stores we have in Vegas. I understand what Debranator is saying about them being cheap, but at the Disney Store outlet, they sell the stuff cheap, cheap cheap when they actually have pins in stock. I picked up 10 of the 2010 character starburst sets for $5 each when they had an extra 30% off clearance plus my 10% chase disney visa in Dec for our Disney World Trip and I bought DISNEY CELEBRATE DELUXE STARTER SET 8 PINS for either $9.99 or $12.99 about 6 months ago at the Character Outlet. This seller is selling older sets. The other seller that Debranator is questioning with the gift cards and cheap prices had newer sets (nerds, toy story, 2011 pins, muppets) which are still sold at Disney and not being cleared out.....
I did not realize that these had been on clearance.
that makes sense...
I am just wary of folks that have large amounts of particular items[all her buy it nows are over 10]
AND..live nowhere near the parks.
I would love to hear her opinion when they come in...
You should always look at the cost breakdown when judging a seller.
so...if she paid 5 bucks..plus tax..
about 5.40?
ebay listing,FVF and PP fees?
about 1.75
shipping ? around 2.50.
total: 9.65 or so.
so..ask yourself...
would you buy stuff to resell...
even if you got a miracle deal for 5 bucks...
for 2.35 profit?
It still makes no sense to me.
one or 2 items..of course..it can happen..
but, a lot of stock?
still..does not make sense.
debranator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #1249
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debranator View Post
I did not realize that these had been on clearance.
that makes sense...
I am just wary of folks that have large amounts of particular items[all her buy it nows are over 10]
AND..live nowhere near the parks.
I would love to hear her opinion when they come in...
You should always look at the cost breakdown when judging a seller.
so...if she paid 5 bucks..plus tax..
about 5.40?
ebay listing,FVF and PP fees?
about 1.75
shipping ? around 2.50.
total: 9.65 or so.
so..ask yourself...
would you buy stuff to resell...
even if you got a miracle deal for 5 bucks...
for 2.35 profit?
It still makes no sense to me.
one or 2 items..of course..it can happen..
but, a lot of stock?
still..does not make sense.
Well, just to play devil's advocate, $3.00 profit here or $3.00 profit there, especially if she has 100's of items, certainly adds up. But, the item in question, I know sold for $5.00, less any disney visa discount + tax. She's selling it for $14.99, so her profit is closer to $6.00. Plus, if she's like me and uses a Disney Chase Visa, she's also earning reward dollars, which really add up fast. Also, maybe she works at the Disney store and gets a bigger discount (if they can use it on clearance or sale items?) And I don't know that I would call it a miracle price. They have pins and sets every few months and they are always cheap. It's just a matter of whether they have any instock or not.

The thing I would watch is if she replenishes when these sell out. When ours has sets of pins, they have quite a few, probably abourt 20-30ish of each set. But they don't always have them, and once the're gone, they're gone. I can't just walk into the store on any given day and pick up pins, you kind of have to get lucky or ask when they're getting new stock in. Like our store hasn't had any pin sets since January, but said they would be getting more in toward the end of March/beginning of April. So if she's able to continously replenish the same sets, then I would be really suspicious (although with that said, maybe different outlets get more stock more often than the one in Vegas?)
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #1250
debranator
earless

Quote:
Well, just to play devil's advocate, $3.00 profit here or $3.00 profit there, especially if she has 100's of items, certainly adds up. But, the item in question, I know sold for $5.00, less any disney visa discount + tax. She's selling it for $14.99, so her profit is closer to $6.00. Plus, if she's like me and uses a Disney Chase Visa, she's also earning reward dollars, which really add up fast. Also, maybe she works at the Disney store and gets a bigger discount (if they can use it on clearance or sale items?) And I don't know that I would call it a miracle price. They have pins and sets every few months and they are always cheap. It's just a matter of whether they have any instock or not.

The thing I would watch is if she replenishes when these sell out. When ours has sets of pins, they have quite a few, probably abourt 20-30ish of each set. But they don't always have them, and once the're gone, they're gone. I can't just walk into the store on any given day and pick up pins, you kind of have to get lucky or ask when they're getting new stock in. Like our store hasn't had any pin sets since January, but said they would be getting more in toward the end of March/beginning of April. So if she's able to continously replenish the same sets, then I would be really suspicious (although with that said, maybe different outlets get more stock more often than the one in Vegas?)
Your numbers make sense..
If it were for 15..
which would still be a good deal..
but..it is 12 bucks..SHIPPED..
The price is just too cheap.
so..the profit is around the 2.50 range..
the cast discount for the disney store is 35 percent..
but,10% for character warehouse.
ps..that store has an ebay presence...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #1251
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Your numbers make sense..
If it were for 15..
which would still be a good deal..
but..it is 12 bucks..SHIPPED..
The price is just too cheap.
so..the profit is around the 2.50 range..
the cast discount for the disney store is 35 percent..
but,10% for character warehouse.
ps..that store has an ebay presence...
Opps... I should have clarified. My math was based on this item from the seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-TRADING-P...item519866a888

This is the set I bought for a little less than $5.00 set at the Disney Store Outlet. If she's buying these at the Disney Store Outlet and is an employee there and is getting 35% off that discounted price, she's walking away with them at around $3.50ish!!!!

And yes, I knew the Character Warehouse was on ebay, but I've never seen pins or vinylmations in their ebay auctions (have you?), so I haven't looked in awhile. Plus their store is only a couple blocks from my house. Although they drive me crazy with their prices. They make absolutely no sense. One day something will be $10 and then 2 days later it will be $24.99 and then 2 more days later it will be $5. I swear someone just walks around with random signs and says, ok, this will be this price today, with no rhyme or reason.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #1252
Piglet99645
DIS Veteran

OK I think I am starting to get the hang of this.

So I would guess this is a scrapper? http://myworld.ebay.com/pham322/

Tons of pins (not sold in lots, tho) at very low "buy it now" prices.... ?

Similar question re: http://myworld.ebay.com/disneypinpros/ but her "buy it now" prices plus shipping seem a little more realistic.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts. This is fun.
November 8-11, 2005 - WDW with my husband and 5yo son and SIL - - All Star Music Resort ~ Trip Report
April 12-14, 2006 - DISNEYLAND again with the best friend - now 30-something moms
August 2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland
June 2011- Disneyland WITH HUBBY AND TWO KIDS (10 & 5), SIL and 2yo nephew - BWPPI ~ Trip Report.
October 21-26, 2012, WDW - All Star Movies, Food and Wine, and MNSSHP

Feb. 12-16, 2014. Disneyland (Desert Inn and Suites) Just me and the kids!! (now 13 and 8)

Last edited by Piglet99645; 03-23-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Piglet99645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #1253
debranator
earless

Quote:
Opps... I should have clarified. My math was based on this item from the seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-TRADING-P...item519866a888

This is the set I bought for a little less than $5.00 set at the Disney Store Outlet. If she's buying these at the Disney Store Outlet and is an employee there and is getting 35% off that discounted price, she's walking away with them at around $3.50ish!!!!

And yes, I knew the Character Warehouse was on ebay, but I've never seen pins or vinylmations in their ebay auctions (have you?), so I haven't looked in awhile. Plus their store is only a couple blocks from my house. Although they drive me crazy with their prices. They make absolutely no sense. One day something will be $10 and then 2 days later it will be $24.99 and then 2 more days later it will be $5. I swear someone just walks around with random signs and says, ok, this will be this price today, with no rhyme or reason.
Yes,you are right on that..
and..I knew about the 10 year pins..
those were behind the kingdom..[employee store]
but,there they were 10 bucks.
it was the others that had me wondering...
as..the single pins in those seat are what most scrappers are now..
I did do a google search to see if any of the china sellers were selling em..
and..what I found..was really scary..
I did not find the sets yet..
but,I found a ton of LE pins that should sell for 25-30[specialized Hanukkahs]
that they say are new on card for 7 bucks.
I think I am going to order one to see..
if my expensive collection..is filled with scrappers.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #1254
debranator
earless

Quote:

Similar question re: http://myworld.ebay.com/disneypinpros/ but her "buy it now" prices plus shipping seem a little more realistic.

ok..I would not buy from pinpros..as they all seem to be scrappers.
the other one..
is interesting..it is obvious that they trade in the parks..
they have mainly scrappers..
but..they do have some real on card pins for silly prices.
I say silly...
as pins that are currently in the park for 14...
are priced from 4-7...new on card..
yet,strangely..
a complete set of the same animal kingdom pins...
is overpriced.
If they did not ignore their buyers..
and give em nasty retorts..
I would definitely buy a pin..to see if they are what they say they are.
i am referring to the on card pins...
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #1255
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes,you are right on that..
and..I knew about the 10 year pins..
those were behind the kingdom..[employee store]
but,there they were 10 bucks.
it was the others that had me wondering...
as..the single pins in those seat are what most scrappers are now..
I did do a google search to see if any of the china sellers were selling em..
and..what I found..was really scary..
I did not find the sets yet..
but,I found a ton of LE pins that should sell for 25-30[specialized Hanukkahs]
that they say are new on card for 7 bucks.
I think I am going to order one to see..
if my expensive collection..is filled with scrappers.
I've seen the other sets she's selling in either of the two stores though, not just the 2010 ones, I just don't remember exactly how much they were, since we didn't buy them.

As far as the LE pins, is this what you found? http://going24-7.com/pins/disney_pins_le.html I've been looking at this site for a couple weeks now, and I'm sure they're not real, but it still has peaked my curiousity!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #1256
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

Thanks for the hint on toomanypostcards4me. I just got a pin from her for a song (and I don't carry a tune). I'll try to remember to let you all know if I got a good one.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #1257
debranator
earless

Quote:
I've seen the other sets she's selling in either of the two stores though, not just the 2010 ones, I just don't remember exactly how much they were, since we didn't buy them.

As far as the LE pins, is this what you found? http://going24-7.com/pins/disney_pins_le.html I've been looking at this site for a couple weeks now, and I'm sure they're not real, but it still has peaked my curiousity!
no..that is not the site..
but,judging by their prices..
I would assume they are real.
the place I found[I would have to re search it to find it again..
has a 30-40 buck hanukkah pin..for 7 bucks.
the place you found has an 11 buck one for 14.
so..I would guess that the site you found has real stuff.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #1258
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Quote:
no..that is not the site..
but,judging by their prices..
I would assume they are real.
the place I found[I would have to re search it to find it again..
has a 30-40 buck hanukkah pin..for 7 bucks.
the place you found has an 11 buck one for 14.
so..I would guess that the site you found has real stuff.
Hmm...Interesting. Although their stuff is 50% off the price they have listed, which is why I thought they were priced too low for some of them.... Maybe I'll have to buy a few and see
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #1259
debranator
earless

Quote:
Hmm...Interesting. Although their stuff is 50% off the price they have listed, which is why I thought they were priced too low for some of them.... Maybe I'll have to buy a few and see
never pay attention to the listed prices..check em against ebay
Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #1260
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thinking a pin is a scrapper just because it is cheap is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Going solely by the price to judge is a pin is real or not? Come on! You don't know where they get their pins, or who the get them from or how cheap they get them! There are obviously places because there are a lot of sellers selling new pins on eBay for great prices now.

I am a pin collector and buy LOTS and LOTS of pins on eBay, and I've dealt with lots of sellers.

I also trade pins locally at the parks, and with other traders so I think I know a good deal about pins.

The seller you posted a link to, pham322, sells legit pins. I have purchased from them a lot. The first time I purchased from them it was for vinylmation pins, the Holiday 2 series. I have to admit I was skeptical at first, as the prices were good.

The pins came and they were real. I then ordered the chasers to the Animal Kingdom set, and they came new on the card, and were perfect.

So, anyway, I just wanted to defend that seller since I've personally enjoyed their low prices, and gotten the real thing from them

Another seller who I buy from ALL the time is funmamas. I know that she is on the "bad" sellers list, but that was from 2009

She mostly sells new pins ON THE CARD at SUPER prices, and just like pham322, I rely on her for great pins I don't want to pay full price for at the parks.

And as for her having "scrappers" ... I buy brand new, in the unopened pack with the price sticker on it booster packs for around 12.99 each. A super price for REAL traders

Living Our Dream

Disney World is our Backyard !!!
earthfaries is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: