Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #196
WDWCatMom
Earning My Ears
 
WDWCatMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cenla, Central Louisiana
Posts: 36

I saw several on The WDW Store.... Is this a safe place to purchase pins?
__________________

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/em1yzg5clq6hz8ty.png[/img]

DH38 Me33 DD11 DS3
WDWCatMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #197
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...
 
MountNittany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,246

Sorry, update will come soon, but school has gotten in the way of the dis
__________________

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #198
dbeuley
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5

I would not buy from Mikeandnancy1020, I ordered pins from them in mid september and still not have received them and am getting the run around from Mike on getting the pins or a credit to my account.
dbeuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #199
jenmclong
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1

new to this

I am going to WDW in a few weeks and want to order pins for my 3 boys to trade. I am not looking to be a collector, just want them to be able to have a little extra adventure while we are at the parks. I found Disneypinqueen on ebay and the price is around 1.10 a pin in a grab bag format. My big question is, if the pin is a scrapper or not real, what does a CM do? I don't want to spend a lot more money than what I have found on ebay but I also don't want to be told that we can't trade.
jenmclong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #200
earthfaries
DIS Veteran
 
earthfaries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WDW is our Backyard ♥
Posts: 3,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmclong View Post
I am going to WDW in a few weeks and want to order pins for my 3 boys to trade. I am not looking to be a collector, just want them to be able to have a little extra adventure while we are at the parks. I found Disneypinqueen on ebay and the price is around 1.10 a pin in a grab bag format. My big question is, if the pin is a scrapper or not real, what does a CM do? I don't want to spend a lot more money than what I have found on ebay but I also don't want to be told that we can't trade.
The lanyards are full of scrappers ~ you will actually have a hard time finding real pins unfortunaltely. It's very sad that these fake pins have overtaken the lanyards and pin boards at Disney
We love to pin trade now that we live close to the parks, and have been pin trading for years, but it's just not the same with all the fakes.
We go to the pin trading events and have talked to Steven, the head pin guy ~ he says there are no such thing as fake pins...I guess they can't admit to it while they are filling their lanyards with them every morning
Anyway, they can't and don't and won't say anything to you ~ because they are all over the place. No one knows anymore what's real or not ~ and CM's don't have the time or knowledge to inspect every pin. If you want to purchase those pins that's your choice ~ a lot of people would not as they think they are supporting the scrapper trade by doing it, but it's a personal choice.
I personally have purchased pins from Travelinwynns for the past 3 years and have been recommending him to others for years. I used to pay about 2.60 a pin, and I truly thought they were authentic pins until I learned about all this. They were nice and completely tradable
I have also purchased from mikebitesme and honestly was embarrassed to trade his pins as they were such bad quality and obvious scrappers. Now we buy our pins from the Disney outlets ~ you can find them for 2.99 ea and they are real and a few months ago they had all their holiday pins for 75% off so they were 1.00 a pc. and we bought thousands!!!
Good luck and have fun!!


__________________

Living Our Dream



Disney World is our Backyard !!!
earthfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #201
princess sparkle p
DIS Veteran
Whoops, sorry. Got your tag a little wet while I was drooling on it.
 
princess sparkle p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North East- Ohio
Posts: 2,353

Does anyone have any experience with zoom_time ?
__________________
Disney Trips: Lots and Lots!
Disney Cruises: Currently Gold and working my way to Platinum
Joined DVC in 2007 What were we waiting for???
princess sparkle p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #202
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeuley View Post
I would not buy from Mikeandnancy1020, I ordered pins from them in mid september and still not have received them and am getting the run around from Mike on getting the pins or a credit to my account.
I find it interesting that you say this, I purchased from them about 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them....the auction did say shipments can take up to 2 weeks (which is unheard of really, but I didn't notice that until I won) so I was planning on following up this week. Did you pay via credit card? If so I would dispute the charge with paypal and if paypal doesn't resolve the issue file with your cc company.
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #203
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran
 
Broncobilly83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Braddock Heights, MD
Posts: 1,102

I am looking at an auction from seller: TradePinsForYou "Official Disney Pin Trading Lot of 100 w/ Hidden Mickey". Am I looking at scrappers, or legit pins? Is this a trustworthy seller, as I looked him up on the thread and no one seems to have a comment about him?
__________________
Trip History:
12/26/09-01/02/10 Trip Report, POFQ - http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365147
10/11/10-10/17/10 - Honeymoon, Wilderness Lodge
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Broncobilly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #204
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmclong View Post
I am going to WDW in a few weeks and want to order pins for my 3 boys to trade. I am not looking to be a collector, just want them to be able to have a little extra adventure while we are at the parks. I found Disneypinqueen on ebay and the price is around 1.10 a pin in a grab bag format. My big question is, if the pin is a scrapper or not real, what does a CM do? I don't want to spend a lot more money than what I have found on ebay but I also don't want to be told that we can't trade.
The CMs will take your trade, most won't even know they are scrappers and they will put the scrapper on their lanyard and trade it to someone else. Even if they are educated about scrappers they will still take your trade and then pocket your pin. These have been experiences at DLR/DCA. They will absolutely NOT tell you you can't trade, even if you have Sedesma pins they will trade, I have about 5 Sedesmas in my collection that came from CM's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobilly83 View Post
I am looking at an auction from seller: TradePinsForYou "Official Disney Pin Trading Lot of 100 w/ Hidden Mickey". Am I looking at scrappers, or legit pins? Is this a trustworthy seller, as I looked him up on the thread and no one seems to have a comment about him?
In general people selling large lots are seller scrappers. I know I looked at their page a few times and ultimately decided they were probably scrappers and did not buy from them. But, I can't say for sure of course because I have had no direct experience with them.
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #205
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran
 
Broncobilly83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Braddock Heights, MD
Posts: 1,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
In general people selling large lots are seller scrappers. I know I looked at their page a few times and ultimately decided they were probably scrappers and did not buy from them. But, I can't say for sure of course because I have had no direct experience with them.
That gets to the point about my confusion. If someone is selling pins like that in bulk, and if they are scrappers, how do they have such great ratings, including here on the board as some of the ones in green on the OP show the same time of auctions?
__________________
Trip History:
12/26/09-01/02/10 Trip Report, POFQ - http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365147
10/11/10-10/17/10 - Honeymoon, Wilderness Lodge
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Broncobilly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #206
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!
 
thelionqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 4,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmclong View Post
I am going to WDW in a few weeks and want to order pins for my 3 boys to trade. I am not looking to be a collector, just want them to be able to have a little extra adventure while we are at the parks. I found Disneypinqueen on ebay and the price is around 1.10 a pin in a grab bag format. My big question is, if the pin is a scrapper or not real, what does a CM do? I don't want to spend a lot more money than what I have found on ebay but I also don't want to be told that we can't trade.
Although CM's may (and probably will) accept pins they know are scrappers, that is not what the point of this thread is.

I know you are "new" at pin trading, and buying for 3 kids is NOT cheap! The reality is this..pin trading is NOT CHEAP..period! Disney sells the pins for $8-20 EACH.

The reason the CM's lanyards are completely LOADED with scrappers is because of people (many fully unknowing) buying scrappers from ebay for $1 or so per pin.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't become part of the group that buys them from ebay and trades them @ WDW! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be one of those that thinks..."it's just for the kids to have fun," "we're not serious collectors," "we don't care if they're scrappers" so it doesn't matter. IT MATTERS!!! By buying scrappers on ebay and trading them at the parks, you are becoming part of the problem that is absolutely RAMPANT in regards to pin trading.

The reality is that pin trading IS NOT CHEAP!! The reality is that you can get GREAT information from this thread about REPUTABLE ebay sellers to keep your costs as low as possible.

Please look at the entire situation and the impact it can have on every other pin trader at the park BEFORE you make an uninformed and harmful decision, just to save money.

Believe me, I am NOT rich..not even close! But I LOVE pin trading..and I absolutely DETEST having the hobby I ADORE infiltrated with all this scrapped mess, and I DETEST even more having to examine every pin that I trade.

For those who have not pin traded for very long, there used to be a time..not long ago (2 years or so) where EVERY SINGLE PIN on a CM's lanyard was AUTHENTIC!! These were CURRENT, AUTHENTIC and GENUINE Disney pins! It was TRULY a treasure hunt, and it was a BLAST!!

Fast forward to today..nothing but crummy pins, mass produced in an overseas company with absolutely no quality whatsoever. Every trade takes several minutes to determine if it's "legit" This is not the way pin trading was intended at all!

I don't mean to badger anyone in particular, it is just that I am SO passionate about ending this problem, that when new traders ask for advice I tend to be more direct than maybe I should

Bottom line is..THINK BEFORE YOU ACT!! and...What would Walt think?
Rant over
__________________
Me- DS16- DS12-
thelionqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #207
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
 
pixiewings71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobilly83 View Post
That gets to the point about my confusion. If someone is selling pins like that in bulk, and if they are scrappers, how do they have such great ratings, including here on the board as some of the ones in green on the OP show the same time of auctions?
The sellers listed in green on the OP are sellers that people like me have made purchases from and reported on. I'm sure that some of the sellers have scrappers but most of the sellers listed in green do not sell in large lots. Some will sell in lots of 10-25 but most sell individual pins and most sell for slightly higher prices. That said none of us on this thread are experts, we are self educated traders who try to make sure the pins they trade are legit, so it's very possible that even the listed green sellers are selling scrappers. It's also possible that they don't even know what scrappers are. I know one of the yellow sellers sent me a small lot of pins and almost all of them were bad, after letting him know why I wasn't happy with my purchase he had me return them and he refunded me but he didn't know anything about scrappers, he just assumed that every pin was good. Pin buying on eBay is a crap shoot, you never know what you're going to get......also I've ordered from some green sellers and received scrappers, retiredreadingspecialist is highly recommended on this thread, I purchased 20 or 25 pins from her and there were some scrappers in my order.
__________________
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.


eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #208
Malouff
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7

Question Did you follow up with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
(dbeuley) I find it interesting that you say this, I purchased from them (mikeandnancy1020) about 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them....the auction did say shipments can take up to 2 weeks (which is unheard of really, but I didn't notice that until I won) so I was planning on following up this week. Did you pay via credit card? If so I would dispute the charge with paypal and if paypal doesn't resolve the issue file with your cc company.
Did you follow up with them?

I had two pin orders also with them
First order for 22 pins and eBay says
Estimated delivery: October 14 - October 19, 2009
Second order is for 50 pins with
Estimated delivery: October 16 - October 21, 2009

I did notice this reply left for someone else on their feedback
Reply by mikeandnancy1020 (Oct-10-09 18:51):
TO ALL OUR BUYERS -TRAGIC DEATH IN FAMILY THIS MONTH - YOU WILL RECEIVE ITEMS

But all of their recent negative feedback has me concerned but I may wait for the estimate then call them or also file a paypal dispute.
Malouff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #209
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere
 
Anjelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Shiloh, Illinois - Right outside of St. Louis
Posts: 3,199

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelionqueen View Post
Although CM's may (and probably will) accept pins they know are scrappers, that is not what the point of this thread is.

I know you are "new" at pin trading, and buying for 3 kids is NOT cheap! The reality is this..pin trading is NOT CHEAP..period! Disney sells the pins for $8-20 EACH.

The reason the CM's lanyards are completely LOADED with scrappers is because of people (many fully unknowing) buying scrappers from ebay for $1 or so per pin.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't become part of the group that buys them from ebay and trades them @ WDW! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't be one of those that thinks..."it's just for the kids to have fun," "we're not serious collectors," "we don't care if they're scrappers" so it doesn't matter. IT MATTERS!!! By buying scrappers on ebay and trading them at the parks, you are becoming part of the problem that is absolutely RAMPANT in regards to pin trading.

The reality is that pin trading IS NOT CHEAP!! The reality is that you can get GREAT information from this thread about REPUTABLE ebay sellers to keep your costs as low as possible.

Please look at the entire situation and the impact it can have on every other pin trader at the park BEFORE you make an uninformed and harmful decision, just to save money.

Believe me, I am NOT rich..not even close! But I LOVE pin trading..and I absolutely DETEST having the hobby I ADORE infiltrated with all this scrapped mess, and I DETEST even more having to examine every pin that I trade.

For those who have not pin traded for very long, there used to be a time..not long ago (2 years or so) where EVERY SINGLE PIN on a CM's lanyard was AUTHENTIC!! These were CURRENT, AUTHENTIC and GENUINE Disney pins! It was TRULY a treasure hunt, and it was a BLAST!!

Fast forward to today..nothing but crummy pins, mass produced in an overseas company with absolutely no quality whatsoever. Every trade takes several minutes to determine if it's "legit" This is not the way pin trading was intended at all!

I don't mean to badger anyone in particular, it is just that I am SO passionate about ending this problem, that when new traders ask for advice I tend to be more direct than maybe I should

Bottom line is..THINK BEFORE YOU ACT!! and...What would Walt think?
Rant over
Great write up!!!! I think you hit the nail on the head. Pin collecting/trading is NOT a cheap hobby. If you can't afford to buy legitimate pins - even on ebay hence the reason for the list at the beginning of the thread - then don't take up the hobby.

My daughter uses her own allowance to buy legitimate pins and there is nothing more frustrating for me, as a parent, to see a hobby that she works hard to save up to afford to do simply cheapened by scrappers. It's gotten to a point where I don't even know if our next trip we will allow her to trade.
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #210
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere
 
Anjelica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Shiloh, Illinois - Right outside of St. Louis
Posts: 3,199

What has everyone seen lately on the CM's lanyards - more scrappers than not?

My daughter didn't do a ton of trading at Christmas this past year but it seemed we had pretty good luck with getting real pins - especially when we did the cruise portion and traded with the Ship's Officer's/Crew Members - one even told us if we were sure we wanted to trade a pin my daughter had - it was a authenticate LE pin my husband bought from Disney last year on a sale. He actually bought several packs of this same LE group - one for my collection, one for my daughters and one to trade with. I wonder if the DCL CM's know better which ones are good vs. bad because maybe they spend more time with the pins?

We are going to DL in a little over a month and I'm not sure we want her to trade as the more I read about whats out on the CM's lanyard the more nervous I get about her doing so. Instead she just may end up buying keepers for her collection (I do that for mine instead of trading).
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trading Pins from Ebay DaveStroem Disney Collectors Board 478 02-05-2013 12:40 PM
Pin Display Eeyore's Buddy Disney Collectors Board 12 06-25-2010 12:59 PM
Pin collecting? mickey&minnie04 Disney Collectors Board 13 04-20-2010 12:14 AM
Free Dining Pin for December! ashleyd725@hotmail.c Budget Board 24 06-28-2009 08:20 AM
Got our 1st PIN code!!!! disneyfreak7 Disney Discount Codes and Rates 1 06-25-2009 04:38 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: