Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
teacups
DIS Veteran

What do you think about the magazine retouching?

Kelly Clarkson on the cover of SELF, the issue that touts being true to yourself, and then they airbrush her to about 5 sizes smaller than she really is on the cover! Inside the magazine she says something along the lines of being fine with her weight, but others seem to have a problem with it.... Some editor from the magazine just gave a big line of boloney on the news about they want girls to be true to themselves inside, but also aspire to their goals. HUH? How can being 5 sizes smaller be her goal when she says she is fine with her weight? Nobody should buy this magaizne issue IMO. They certainly can not believe the crap they are selling.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Camicar
DIS Veteran

I think that the editors are fools and have shot their magazine in the foot.

First of all, this airbrushing was caught asap because everyone knows what Kelly looks like. So why set yourself up to get caught? Stupid, just stupid.

Secondly, this issue is the 'body confidence issue' and Kelly would be the right person for that topic because she is actually okay with her REAL body. So why ruin that combination?

Thirdly, so why take away the POINT of having Kelly as the cover model? They have just contradicted their own advice. They might as well have hired Calista Flockheart or Paris Hilton and just made it clear that "You can have body confidence ONLY as long as you are thin."

Fourthly, their "whatever" response about it makes me wonder why I should trust them about anything. Why should I believe anything in that magazine if they are willing to lie on the cover about their main topic? They contradicted their own advice, so even THEY don't believe it. So why should I?

Seriously, if I owned that magazine, the editors would be collecting unemployment now.
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Bad move, MO.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

Didn't another magazine do this to Kate Winslet some years back, and she pitched a fit about it, too? I personally don't understand why these magazines have to do that...I think both women are thin enough, but I get it...the whole "Hollywood standard" or whatever they call it...
Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
MusiqChic99
Love means going out to eat so that your husband won't have to cook.

I think it sends a bad message.

However saying that, I want someone to airbrush me on a cover so that i can see myself 20 lbs lighter. Then maybe I will get my butt up off the couch!
MusiqChic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I do remember some actor in which they put their head on a different body in some mag? Or maybe that was a movie.

We know that covers sell mags and that is what it is about at the end. It is a business. Read and see all things with a grain of salt is my motto, esp. magazines.

Has Clarkson said anything about the airbrushing?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
MusiqChic99
Love means going out to eat so that your husband won't have to cook.

Oh and I thought I would point out that they don't just retouch people they think would look better thinner. Even the thin chicks get a few retouching here and there.
MusiqChic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

I saw that editor from Self this morning. She was very annoying. Everytime they would ask her why they airbrushed it, she would go into a speech about Kelly being self confident, blah blah blah, but never once did they answer the question, nor acknowledge that maybe they shouldn't have done it. How stupid! She kept saying something about the cover being a poster and something about a snapshot being a real photo inside the magazine.
Unfortunately I subscribe to Self, so I will be getting the issue regardless.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I remember a few years ago there was some discussion about Faith Hill getting Photoshopped on Redbook. I even think Redbook discussed it in a later issued and showed the before and after pictures. Basically they lengthened Faith's arms to make them look longer and thinner. She looked absolutely fine in the "before" shots so I really don't know why they do it.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
DebIreland
ಠvಠ

The whole airbrushing thing has become idiotic. I use Photoshop a lot and it's such a great tool for fixing, altering and improving photos but people get carried away. I did alter a pic of myself once - it was with dd on her birthday with her cake and I wanted to frame it so I brightened my teeth and airbrushed a pimple - I did what I thought were minor changes. Until my friend (of 30 years) saw the pic and said "aw A (dd) is soooo cute in that pic. Who's that woman she's with?" ROFL!!

Remember the l'Oreal airbrushing job of Beyoncé? That was disgraceful. Such a stunningly beautiful woman needed NO touching up but, of all things, to whiten her was appalling. Here's the comparison: http://anthonyturano.com/blog/wp-con...nce2080708.jpg

Grieving Angry Widow
DebIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
Camicar
DIS Veteran

There is a big scandel in the UK right now over an Olay ad with a heavily-airbrushed Twiggy. She is absolutely unrecognizable and her photoshopped skin bears NO resemblance to her real-life skin.

Some people are calling for legislation to ban this type of airbrushing as a form of fraud. I see their point in that this photoshopped pic is being used to sell wrinkle cream. The cream didn't remove the wrinkles, the airbrushing did.
The-faces-Twiggy-59-How-airbrushing-Olay-ad-hides-truth-skin-shes-in.html
Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I think she looks way better on the cover. She got a bit pudgy around the middle lately (not fat but kind of frumpy) so they had to do something to make her cover worthy.

As long as they don't say "That is an untouched picture" when it is I don't see it as dishonest. Magazines from GQ to Hen's Health do the same thing with people of both sexes.

I do agree that using the picture to sell a product like weight loss or anti wrinkle should be unaltered to show the true product, but that would be assuming there is truth in advertising, which there isn't.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
bicker
DIS Veteran

I agree: She looks good on the cover, and the cover is supposed to look good, so mission successful, job well done.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
teacups
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I remember a few years ago there was some discussion about Faith Hill getting Photoshopped on Redbook. I even think Redbook discussed it in a later issued and showed the before and after pictures. Basically they lengthened Faith's arms to make them look longer and thinner. She looked absolutely fine in the "before" shots so I really don't know why they do it.
FAITH HILL- great singer, but can we talk arm length?
OMG. How stupid is that?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
PaddingtonBear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camicar View Post
There is a big scandel in the UK right now over an Olay ad with a heavily-airbrushed Twiggy. She is absolutely unrecognizable and her photoshopped skin bears NO resemblance to her real-life skin.

Some people are calling for legislation to ban this type of airbrushing as a form of fraud. I see their point in that this photoshopped pic is being used to sell wrinkle cream. The cream didn't remove the wrinkles, the airbrushing did.
The-faces-Twiggy-59-How-airbrushing-Olay-ad-hides-truth-skin-shes-in.html
Until the last cycle or two, Twiggy was a judge on America's Next Top Model, and she looked more like the 'retouched' version than the not retouched version. On the show her skin and hair looked great and the retouched photo looks like her on the show
PaddingtonBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: