Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
MsDunny
Earning My Ears

What a gift!! Resort question

Our family has friends who have a timeshare. They are giving us a week of it to use at one of the Disney villa resorts. HALLELUJAH!!! We aren't planning on going until Jan. 2012 so that we can save money for tickets and meals, etc. However, we will have to book our resort in Jan. of 2011. How about some feedback from all the experts out there!!!

Our choices are:
Beach Club Villas
Boardwalk Villas
Bay Lake Tower Villas
Old Key West Resort
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
Wilderness Lodge Villas
Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas

We are leaning toward Bay Lake Tower, just because of the close proximity to MK and the views of that particular park. We will be going back to the room each day for lunch, so I really want wherever we stay to be convenient.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Michelle
Old 09-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

When are you going to BLT, do your friends own at BLT? The reason I ask is that if they are not owners don't necessarily count on being able to get a MK View room at the 7 mos booking window.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
paladin
DIS Veteran

I would think about proximity to the park(s) where you spend most of your time.

Bay Lake Towers would be the best location if you spend most of your time at MK - you can walk over. Villas at Wilderness Lodge has a boat to MK.

Beach Club or Boardwalk are the best location if you spend most of your time at Epcot and/or DHS - you can walk and/or boat to both.

All of the others are buses to parks.

There is a difference in size in the villas and setup (I think Old Key West is the only one with studios with two queens). I'm sure someone will talk about this in more detail.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

When you say that friend has a timeshare I am assuming that means they are DVC? Where they have their 'home' resort might dictate where they can get you a room if it is during a popular DVC time, what their point limit is, and what type of accommodations.

BLT is really great for the location, great water slide (my 5 yr. old loved it), and I liked the layout. AKV Kidani is wonderful if you are getting a one bedroom (or larger) because it will have two full bathrooms whereas most one bedroom villas only have one full bath. VWL is also nice because of the location but I'm not sure when the last refurb was. We've only stayed in a studio at OKW but I have read that the one bedrooms, and up, are very spacious.

AllEarsNet.com and DVCNews.com have pictures of all of hte resorts as well as floorplans.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
camlace
DIS Veteran

The only resort you will be able to book a year (actually 11 months) in advance is their home resort. Any other resort would need to wait until 7 months prior. Another deciding factor is how many points are they giving you to use? That will figure into which resort and which size room you can book.
camlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

OP, I would recommend you post this on the DVC board. You will get a lot of answers from very knowledgeable people. First and foremost they will need to know if the gift is from someone who own DVC or if you are going to be given a week from another timeshare to try to trade in. You might also add a little about size and ages of your family, what parks you plan on spending time at the most, interests in pool, and dining interests.
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
MsDunny
Earning My Ears

This isn't through DVC - the timeshare company they are with is allowed to book at Disney resorts. So, we can choose from any of the villas, and have enough points for a two bedroom villa for 8 days. Because they aren't with DVC, she said that she would book this coming Jan. for the next Jan., so 11-12 months out.

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 09-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

OP, I am no expert but have they ever traded in to DVC? I do know from reading the DVC boards that it is not always quite as easy as just saying I want to stay "here.". First thing, look at pics and reviews of all the dvc resorts, spend time on the dvc boards. And help us help you. Your post was pretty broad. Tell us more about what type of vacation you want and what your expectations are. Still recommend posting on dvc board, try planning section. A lot of the other dvc folks don't come to these boards very often.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Just so you are informed, they can request any of the resorts, but likely will not get first choice.

Always have a second and third choice picked.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

I am curious on what the name of this timeshare company, especially if they can reserve disney resorts at the same time frame (or before) DVC home members can.

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
MatersTowing92
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDunny View Post
This isn't through DVC - the timeshare company they are with is allowed to book at Disney resorts. So, we can choose from any of the villas, and have enough points for a two bedroom villa for 8 days. Because they aren't with DVC, she said that she would book this coming Jan. for the next Jan., so 11-12 months out.

Umm thats wrong. I'm a DVC owner at the BW and another timeshare cannot book before I can at my own resort and before other owners at other resorts can book at any resort they want. I can book at 11 months at my home resort so I could book in Feburary for a January trip. If I want to stay at another resort I can book at 7 months so June for a January trip. Not trying to rain on your plans you just might want to have her find out if she can actually get in to a DVC resort(thats not easy for other timeshares) and when she can really book it. Also for how long because other timeshares don't get a good excange rate with DVC.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
MsDunny
Earning My Ears

Well, I understand what everyone is saying. And, no, I don't know the specifics of how the timeshare part of this works. However, I do know that their family went last September, stayed at the Beach club villas, and she didn't mention to me that she had any difficulty with the reservation process. She did say that we need to book 11 months out, and although we will have a second or third choice already picked out, she didn't indicate to me that we would have trouble getting our first choice.

I really get the idea that I am stepping on toes here, which is not my intention at all. My family does not get this type of opportunity very often, and I would like to make this trip as memorable as possible.

I really appreciate the help.

M
Old 09-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDunny View Post

It's probably through RCI. You will probably make the request at 1 year, but I highly doubt you will get the actual booking until 7 months out or less (after DVC owners can book outside their home resort). I'd definitely get on the request list though, since you'll get the option before it's listed to all RCI customers. More and more resorts have been available this last year. There were a lot for this fall listed last spring. 2 bedrooms are harder to find. Key West and SSR are commonly found, but have also seen AKV, BWV, BCV, and even WLV...I've never seen BLT.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

MsDunny, still trying to answer your question. Each resort offers something different. I have stayed at most of the dvc resorts. You haven't provided any more info about your family and what type of vacation you'd like. Don't worry about everyones toes. Either you will get what you want or will have to pick something else. Still a great hotel either way.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
MsDunny, still trying to answer your question. Each resort offers something different. I have stayed at most of the dvc resorts. You haven't provided any more info about your family and what type of vacation you'd like. Don't worry about everyones toes. Either you will get what you want or will have to pick something else. Still a great hotel either way.
Absolutely! More info will help. I got the same thing when discussing the option of trading with RCI myself. I ended up wanting 2 weeks and don't have enough points (renting DVC points was waaaay too expensive). However, if I am able to get a 2BR villa for one of our weeks, I will have no problem changing my plans and doing a split stay!

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: