Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Ft Wilderness - Archery

Heard about the new archery lesson / option at FW - probably through allearsnet - and booked it for a low key day during the WLV portion of our stay. I walked over to FW, spent a little time in the horse barn (pictures, soon), then met up with my post-exam-week, late-sleeper sons.

A little background - with 2 boys - and a karate instructor husband - well let's just say I haven't spent much time in a dance studio! DS21 is a decent marksman (Eagle Scout) and we are all martial artists. Doesn't mean we love weapons, but we aren't afraid of them, either. (Actually DS fashioned a Glock pistol and a rifle out of Legos when he was about 10 - will have to take picture...) .

DSs checked in (forget the name of the building - middle of FW, near the new pool), and waiting (Mom hoofing it across the bridge to get them caffiene ASAP):

The "event" is lead by two cast members - the same ones who conduct the FW Segway tours. It is very well thought-out and safe. They practice all dimensions of the mini-routine, using drumbeats (so as not to confuse the lifeguards, who are within earshot at the new FW pool, with shouts / whistles / bells). Here is a picture of the "rules":

... and some tips (get, it? "tips"?)

Everyone picks up his/her bow (I was the only "her") from the rack and returns it after each "round."

There are a series of 3 firing lines, and everyone shoots from the same line:

The CMs walk up and down the line, couching with reminder tips up; tips for safety and accuracy / form:

... picture of an example of "form" - the "finish" of the right hand by the ear - much like the "finish" form in bowling, or a golf swing....

Each person retrieves, his (I'm just dropping the "her" for the rest of this report) arrows and returns them to the "quiver" - together, properly removing the arrow by the appropriate place ON the arrow:

Some do better than others - and make funny faces for the camera:

Conclusion:
Would we do it again? YES - boys had low expectations and really liked it.
Would we recommend it? YES - if it aligns with your interests and you are nearby.

Tips:

Bruises are possible - as a black belt, I finish my punches with a straight, locked down armed. I have little upper body strength at this point, but good form. This form does NOT work for archery - my elbow was directly in the path of the bow-string when the arrow is released. Quite a bruise - didn't really bother me - just mentioning it, so you know. Nothing like a little life lesson to improve my archery form quickly.

I am relatively good aerobic condition, but not much strength. I did about 80% of my arrows, and could have finished, but elected to let DSs use my arrows for 2-3 rounds. Worked for all of us, and the CMs were OK with it.

My right middle fingertip was quite numb for a few days. Was expecting a callous, but it did not materialize. I kept looking at it and rubbing it, though - which may have confused onlookers! My right shoulder, which I was expecting to be sore, was not at all.

ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
paladin
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review. Sounds like fun - maybe DH and I will try it on our next trip.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Disney Hot Mama
DIS Veteran
Onion haters unite!

How much?

Can you tell me how much you paid for this? My daughter would love to do it... We are doing it at Girl Scout Day Camp when we get back from Disney and I have a son who is in Boy Scouts who loves to shoot archery too...

Disneyland at least monthly BUT WDW July 16 - 22, 2011, June 21 - 29, 2009 - AKL and VWL here we come! OKW 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003 & 2002 , 1999 - FW & numerous trips as a kid!
Disney Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Hot Mama View Post
Can you tell me how much you paid for this?
It's $25 per person.

*ehagerty*, thank you for your informative review and great pictures! We're all looking forward to doing it on our next trip.
WDWKOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Disney Hot Mama
DIS Veteran
Onion haters unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
It's $25 per person.
Thank you... May have to try out on out stay..

Disneyland at least monthly BUT WDW July 16 - 22, 2011, June 21 - 29, 2009 - AKL and VWL here we come! OKW 2008, 2007, 2005, 2004, 2003 & 2002 , 1999 - FW & numerous trips as a kid!
Disney Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Description from allearsnet

Archery Experience: Whether novice or expert marksman, an archery guide at the Bike Barn offers training and tips on how to hit the bulls-eye with a Compound Bow. Open to resort guests and non-guests alike, ages 6 and up, the 90-minute experience costs $25 (plus tax) per person, includes equipment and instruction and can be booked up to 90 days in advance by calling 407/939-7529. Credit card information is due at the time of booking. Walk ups are accepted. Offered Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoons from 2:45 - 4:15pm; the class has a maximum number of 10 people

ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Ms. Heimlich
I'm a beautiful butterfly, too!

WOW! Thanks for a great review. We are doing this in August and I can't wait.

As a side note... I took an archery class in college and remember (not too fondly...) the bruise on my inner left elbow! OUCH! I totally agree with your assessment of that.

Thanks again.
Ms. Heimlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: