Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #61
SilverL
My DH thinks he's Tarzan and I'm Jane. Go figure!

So the shopping trip is back on for today. I'm also going to hit up home depot for mickey heads and magnetic tape.

Shawna (Me): Matthew (DH): (both in early 20's) | 8/01, 1/03, 9/07: Off Site w/family | 9/15/09-9/23/09: Pop Century Disneymoon w/DH!
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m6b514zwo2i71.png[/img]
Read my Pre-Trip Report : DISNEYMOON: "Honey, you didn't list underwear!"
Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #62
SilverL

Packing & Door Decor

Success!

Everything on my packing list has now been purchased. I even got Purex 3 in 1 Laundry Sheets for $3 with coupons and register rewards at Walgreens. WooHoo!

The packing has really officially begun. We're about 1/2 way packed now. We are mostly missing clothes and non-travel sized toiletries (like makeup). I'm trying very hard to pack light. I usually bring everything but the kitchen sink, however, I'm not willing to pay all of the checked baggage fees. So DH and I agreed to bring one checked bag. I am also carrying on a suitcase, and DH has a duffel bag. We're doing laundry mid trip, so we're only bringing about 5 changes of clothes, one of which goes in our carry on in case the checked bag is lost.

Here's where the OCD monster in me rears its head again. I write down everything that I pack. Absolutely everything. I start out with a list, and if I add anything else, I write it down on the bottom of the print out and then make the appropriate changes on my computer. I tell myself that this list would come in very handy if our bag was ever lost completely. But really, I'm just crazy.

Once I deposited the items from my shopping trip into my suitcases, I dug through my purse for the stolen goods from Home Depot: Mickey Heads. Lots of Mickey heads. Of course, they are free, so they are not really stolen, but I still snuck over to the display when the paint guy was occupied. Then I snatched stacks of 10 in many different colors. While I was there, I also purchased magnetic tape. I decided to laminate the Mickeys and then stick the tape on the back. Here is the end result:

30 some blank Mickey heads, ready for your messages!

And, just in case you were wondering who your noisy neighbors are:

I had to cram them onto that little fridge door. I don't like putting them all in straight lines, but I don't know what else to do. My creative juices have stopped flowing.

In other news...

Yesterday I booked our Photo Session at AKL. I was disappointed that by the time I called (9am Pacific), the earliest slots were gone and I had to take one at 9:15am. I had hoped to get the first slot of the day and eat at Boma afterwards. Instead, I have 7:30am at Boma. Let's hope this works out okay.

BTW, the CM who booked my Photo Session was not as helpful as other CMs I've spoken to. He said that they had been slammed all morning, however. Maybe the guy needed to take a break. He was very frazzled.

Quick question:

If we have our own laundry detergent, do we still need quarters to run the machines? How much?

Shawna (Me): Matthew (DH): (both in early 20's) | 8/01, 1/03, 9/07: Off Site w/family | 9/15/09-9/23/09: Pop Century Disneymoon w/DH!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #63
SilverL

My parents are buying DH and I a new camera for our trip!

Last September I bought a Sony Cybershot right before I took a trip to DC. Unfortunately, on my way home, it was somehow lost (or perhaps stolen out of my bag) during a 4 hour layover in Newark. I never got it back, though the memory card was not in it, so I do have the photos. But I have been camera-less ever since... and ever before... I'd had a camera for a week in my life!

DH has a camera, but I hate it. So I was going to borrow my mom's nice camera for the trip, until we found this deal on NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830179193

It's the same type of camera I had, plus a case, monopod, lens cleaning kit, and an extra battery. Since I still have the old battery charger, I can charge two batteries at once and take them both to the parks. WooHoo!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #64
SilverL

Day 3

I'm really starting to feel like I'm talking to myself here, but I'll keep going anyway. I don't mind looking crazy, LOL!

DH and I made yummy Sushi the other day---with Smoked Salmon! I'm ready to go to Teppan Edo now. Can we please leave already?

Here are our plans for Day 3:

I was not too happy about the UG's Touring Plan for AK. First of all, I refuse to get a FastPass with no intention of returning at the printed time to ride. While I understand that you can usually use a FastPass after your return time, I don't want to bend the rules as a strategy. That just bothers me. You'll notice that I try to adhere to touring plans, but I've made modifications anytime they suggest I do that. I can't. To each their own.

The other problem with the touring plan was that I wanted to go to Rafiki's Planet Watch early in the day, when it would be more interesting. My DH would get a kick out of it.

So, here is the revised plan:

9:00am - Rope drop at Animal Kingdom
Grab a FastPass for Everest
Ride Kilimanjaro Safari
Visit Rafikiís Planet Watch
Ride Everest
Ride Kali River Rapids

Note: It's SO hard for me to figure out when to ride these stinking rides where you will get wet, because I loathe being wet. But I love this ride. I always think: Well, what will I definitely not want to do when I'm soaked? The answer to that question, unfortunately, is EVERYTHING. Will I want to ride a roller coaster? No. See a show? No. Eat lunch? Not really.

I think I better bring a change of clothes.

Lunch at Flame Tree BBQ
Grab a FastPass for Dinosaur
Ride Primeval Whirl
See Finding Nemo
Ride Dinosaur
See Itís Tough to be a Bug
See Festival of the Lion King
Catch bus to Wilderness Lodge
Tour Wilderness Lodge
8:05pm - Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafť

Note to self: Be sure to ask DH to get me some ketchup.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #65
oregonmommyof2
DIS Veteran

I am still here, I swear!!! I keep forgetting to respond when I read!! Bad Toni, Bad!!!

yay on the new camera!! Alec just got one for his birthday from my in-laws... He was so excited...

I really wanted to eat the Whispering Canyon this year, but I don't remember why we didn't book it...
Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #66
disneyscrappinjan
Earning My Ears

I'm still here you are doing great....keep it coming.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2482570 What? Last minute planning!!! 4 to 6 overnight!!! This is the link to my PTR...come join in....

Upcoming Trips:2010-June-SSR, Oct-MNSSHP-BWV, Nov-MVMCP-OKW
1984-Off Site, 2003-ASM, 2008-ASM, 6/09-SSR & AKV-Kidani, 9/09-SSR & BWV, 11/09-ASM, 12/09-BLT & SSR, 2/10-OKW
Old 08-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #67
CupidsKiss
Do these pixie wings make my tush look big?

I am still with you!:

Have you done the photo session before? Hopring at that time you get some great dusky shots.

Diana

Old 08-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #68
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

I'm still here too! I've noticed all the PTR's are pretty quiet lately. I think summer is just getting everyone so busy and away from the computer. Sounds like a great AK day.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #69
tink1957
DIS Veteran

I'm still here too. Congrats on your new camera.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #70
SilverL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmommyof2 View Post
I am still here, I swear!!! I keep forgetting to respond when I read!! Bad Toni, Bad!!!

yay on the new camera!! Alec just got one for his birthday from my in-laws... He was so excited...

I really wanted to eat the Whispering Canyon this year, but I don't remember why we didn't book it...
I'll admit: There are some times when I forget to respond as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyscrappinjan View Post
I'm still here you are doing great....keep it coming.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupidsKiss View Post
I am still with you!:

Have you done the photo session before? Hopring at that time you get some great dusky shots.

Diana
I must have forgotten to mention that our photo session is in the AM!

Hoping it won't be dusky at that time, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
I'm still here too! I've noticed all the PTR's are pretty quiet lately. I think summer is just getting everyone so busy and away from the computer. Sounds like a great AK day.
I guess I'm the exception to that rule. We had a church picnic yesterday and I had to stay home because of my crazy allergies.

A little background:

When I was a young teenager, I broke out into the hives that never end. It took a long time before we finally got into the allergist to see why I had chronic hives all over my body! Well, they put me on a ton of meds to control the hives so they could do an allergy test, and lo and behold, I was allergic to 95% of the stuff they for which they tested. Basically, I am allergic to nature. Thank God I'm not allergic to any food or meds as well.

The Dr. said my hives looked like they came straight out of a textbook. Thanks, I guess? But they never did figure out exactly WHY I was getting them. They explained it like this:

Well, 50% of the time, hives go away in a few days. Otherwise, 50% of the time they go away in a week. Otherwise, 50% of the time they go away in a month. Otherwise, 50% of the time they go away in a year. Otherwise, 50% of the time we figure out it's some kind of freaky deaky medical condition. Otherwise, 50% of the time we have no idea why they are there and they come and go as they please. And that's why you have hives.

Okay, so I'm part of the 1% of people who has mysterious, unexplainable chronic hives. Great.

I ended up doing allergy shots for years, while taking a combination of meds that does a doozy on hives, apparently. My allergies are not completely gone, but I'm only allergic to 30% of the things on the test now. Yippee! It's got to the point where I can control my allergies with OTC Zyrtec (one of the three meds I had been taking) and I can't afford the cost of immunotherapy. So OTC it is.

I'm really worried that I'm going to have allergy issues in FL. It's the worst thing in the world to suddenly realize that your allergies are acting up and your EARLOBE is itching like CRAZY when you don't have your old prescription strength meds to beat that sucker into normality. Okay, scratch that. There are worse things. But let me just say that it's REALLY, REALLY miserable. Like tossing around in your bed all night keeping your DH up because your legs are itchy for no good reason kind of miserable.

So, this is why SilverL is still online when everyone else is outside. And also why I have a big medicine bag already packed in my suitcase like a freaky medicine man, full of Zyrtec, Sudafed, and some random heartburn medication that apparently works wonders on hives (it's one of the ones my allergist prescribed!) I also have Dramamine, Pepto and Advil---despite the fact that DH insists he doesn't get motion sickness. I considered the Dramamine my $5 insurance policy against having our first honeymoon (minimoon) all over again. DH spent the first three days of "wedded bliss" lying around in bed and vomiting into the very fine toilet of the very large bathroom of the very fancy schmancy hotel where we stayed for a few nights after our wedding. I'm trained like a hound now:

"Did your stomach just gurgle?" I say, as I grab my purse like it's a holster in a gunfight. Only my purse contains those evil little pink Pepto tablets that taste like chalk, and I'm poised to rip open the packet and attempt to force feed DH at any sign of nausea.

I remind him often that he's married to a crazy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1957 View Post
I'm still here too. Congrats on your new camera.
Thanks, glad you're here!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #71
crocko
DVC Member

Day 3 sounds great (Especially since that is the day my family will be ARRIVING!)

Hope your Whispering Canyon meal goes well.....(by the way, after Kali River Rapids....Dinoland U.S.A. seems to be a nice sunny & hot area to hang out at afterward....
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #72
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Just read your PTR-great job. Boy you sure are organized! The only days I know for sure where we'll be is 9-19 and 9-22 since they are my DD's and DM's birthdays. Other than that, everything is flexible.

We'll be at POP the same time as you. Looks like we are leaving on the same day, the 23rd.

Getting up early for rope drops can be tough with the 3 hr. difference (or more since you say you are on HI time!) but without kids it's definitely doable. My DM and I used to be able to get to the parks about opening time when it was just the 2 of us. But now with DD9, it's too hard to wake her when she's sleeping so nicely! Especially when she was only 2-3/4.

Good luck on the red eye. We only did it once-we were so tired when we got to our room (Yes, they let us check in early at 7 a.m.!) that we took a 3 hour nap. None of us really slept on the plane.

Re: Sharing CS meals-we do this all the time. And then we end up with alot of CS to use on our last few days. We grabbed some meals for the plane ride. Works out great!

Can't wait to read more and then read your TR.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #73
SilverL

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocko View Post
Day 3 sounds great (Especially since that is the day my family will be ARRIVING!)

Hope your Whispering Canyon meal goes well.....(by the way, after Kali River Rapids....Dinoland U.S.A. seems to be a nice sunny & hot area to hang out at afterward....
You're telling me! That place feels like the HOTTEST place one earth to me! And it has a silly little roller coaster that is way scarier to me than all of the other coasters in WDW combined, LOL!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #74
DisneysRedhead
Mouseketeer

I am loving the PTR! You and I are very much alike, it's kind of spooky. I too need my life to be filled with spreadsheets, charts and lists! I busted out laughing at the underwear line and when I read it to my fiance he said "Wow that sounds like something you would do." (Making the list, not the forgetting the underwear part )
Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #75
crocko
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverL View Post
You're telling me! That place feels like the HOTTEST place one earth to me! And it has a silly little roller coaster that is way scarier to me than all of the other coasters in WDW combined, LOL!
Chester & Hester's Primeval Whirl!

I'm finding that I'm one of the minority who really love that ride
Saratoga Springs (2008, 2011)
Animal Kingdom Lodge (2009)
Old Key West (2009)
Beach Club (2010, 2011)
Wilderness Lodge (2011)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: