Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
justcynn
Earning My Ears

First Trip to Fort

Brand new to this forum, thank you for all of the valuable information - it was very helpful to plan this very last minute trip (planned just a week ago!). Long time member of popupexplorer though...but you Mickey fans are way more passionate..our first trip to the Fort is coming up in less than two weeks!

Here is our trip plan:
*I am leaving from West Des Moines Iowa this Sunday
*I am pulling the Pop Up making stops every 300 miles or so to visit customers - Thursday I arrive at Fort Desoto Beach in Tierra Verde for two nights, working of course Friday morning in Tampa
*Friday afternoon I pick up the wife and kids at Clearwater Airport - flying the 4 of them down direct for $272 total - gotta love Allegiant deals!
*Beach Friday Afternoon and maybe some undercover cold ones since I see Fort Desoto has a thing against adults endulging in cold drinks
*Leave Saturday and arrive at the Fort for 2 nights. Planning all campground and free activities, no parks including Lego Land in Dowtown Disney, Fishing at the Fort, the new Pool, tour Disney on Buses, Monorail, etc, Evening Camp Fire, Movie, Electric Light Parade and MK Fireworks from the beach. We were going to eat at Mickeys Back Yard BBQ but after reading the feedback - I will be saving that money for our Official Disney trip to the Fort in 2010. Its amazing just how much money Walt Requires for a taste of his Magic!
*Leave the Fort Monday and drive to Panama City St Andrews State Park for 2 nights. Plan to act the part of a beached Whale mainly - maybe go to the Waterpark in Panama City, again saving money on this trip in anticipation of our offical Fort/Disney trip in February.
*Leave Panama City Wednesday and arrive at Jellystone Park Nasville for 2 nights. Grand Ole Opry, but mainly some relax time with Yogi (our poor mans Mickey up here in the North)
*Either drive Home Friday or Stop at Jellystione Park in Eureka MO depending on how we are feeling.

We got the last reservable sites at both Fort Desoto and St Andrews, the Fort became the filler - but now I see its really the main attraction after finding this forum!
Really looking forward to this trip, with the cheap flights, business reason to get to FL (less gas expense) and some careful planning- looks we can make this trip for less than $1,000.

The Official trip is planned for the week before Presidents Day, Fort still cheap season (I hope), weather in Iowa is wearing on us, Florida Weather becoming more predictable and hopefully beat some of the spring rush. My goal for that trip is to get 7 nights at the Fort, all 4 parks and waterpark option for a total budget of $2500 for a Family of Five - I will get to work on that after the initial visit!

Thanks to you all for the great information on this site, it made this last minute trip possible and we cancelled Black Hills SD to see what this Florida Camping fever is all about.
justcynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
kc5grw
Musket Mickey's Motoring Maniac #1

Sounds like a heckuva trip. Have a blast!
kc5grw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Dizney_Luver
Mouseketeer

Great to hear a fellow Iowan is making a trip to the Fort !!! You will have a great time. We did and moved down here to escape the Iowa weather for good! Have a safe and fun trip!

Dizney_Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
kc5grw
Musket Mickey's Motoring Maniac #1

Oh, and WELCOME!
kc5grw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
Born 2 Fish
I'D RATHER BE FISHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5grw View Post
Sounds like a heckuva trip. Have a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5grw View Post
Oh, and WELCOME!
Yeah,,what Mike said,

oh, and don't forget to pack your fish'n poles!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
DISNEYatw
Earning My Ears

I know you're going to have a GREAT time!! There is nothing like FW.

Next Trip August 2009
DISNEYatw is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: