Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #31
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

I haven't been to any of those places, so I'm not much help.

I considered Beaches and Cream for my trip in Sept., but went with Teppan Edo instead.

I love the light painting pictures though. I must have skipped over that thread in the Photography Board. Something I need to try sometime, but there's lots of things I need to try with my camera.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #32
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

OK, I'm back in town and ready to offer my opinions on things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
I figured my birthday would be the best day to take advantage (can we say "free dessert" anyone?? ) and I'm having some trouble deciding where to go.
OK, if free dessert is the objective, I can tell you the only place you're guaranteed to get one is the Plaza, and even then you may have to ask! But they seem to pass out these birthday cupcakes like, well, candy!

As for the Wave - can you guys split a meal? That's our secret to eating at table service restaurants on the cheap. Even if you are a hearty eater, I guarantee that splitting a Disney-sized appetizer, entree and dessert will fill you up!

Whispering Canyon will be fun if you're in the mood for rowdy and raucous, and Beaches and Cream's burgers are good, but they aren't, like, amazing, so don't go out of your way if you'll be much closer in December.

Other: Well, California Grill can't be beat, but if you're worried about the Wave being too spendy, then it's definitely out. Still, you could split stuff, and you'd have a better shot at that free dessert! In other spendy restaurant news, I don't really recommend Narcoossee's, and Citricos was just "meh" in my book.

... Sez I!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #33
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
OK, I'm back in town and ready to offer my opinions on things!!!

OK, if free dessert is the objective, I can tell you the only place you're guaranteed to get one is the Plaza, and even then you may have to ask! But they seem to pass out these birthday cupcakes like, well, candy!

As for the Wave - can you guys split a meal? That's our secret to eating at table service restaurants on the cheap. Even if you are a hearty eater, I guarantee that splitting a Disney-sized appetizer, entree and dessert will fill you up!

Whispering Canyon will be fun if you're in the mood for rowdy and raucous, and Beaches and Cream's burgers are good, but they aren't, like, amazing, so don't go out of your way if you'll be much closer in December.

Other: Well, California Grill can't be beat, but if you're worried about the Wave being too spendy, then it's definitely out. Still, you could split stuff, and you'd have a better shot at that free dessert! In other spendy restaurant news, I don't really recommend Narcoossee's, and Citricos was just "meh" in my book.

... Sez I!!!
As always, thank you for the Lurkyloo review on where the best eats would be.

In your very expert opinion, how was the cupcake or wasn't it yours to eat? I'll have to take a peek back at your TR to get an official review. You are one of the reasons I'm considering The Plaza. We like the typical burgers and shakes meal in Disney and the Mayor seems like a hoot (if he graced us with his presence).

As for The Wave---we could most definitely split all of our stuff, didn't really think of that to be honest. At home, we're typically meal splitters and sometimes even same siders (when it comes to sitting in a booth, pathetic I know ). Seeing that our last trip was in 07, I didn't remember too much about WDW portion sizes other than when we went with Free Dining back when they had the app, the entree AND the dessert we were stuffed to capacity. I had attributed it to the fact that you got three courses each, but most of the time we couldn't even make it to dessert---it was an insane amount of food to be expected to eat.

Luckily in December, we'll be able to have some pricier meals. Still trying to decide between Jiko, Flying Fish or California Grill. We aren't big on sushi, so I didn't know if CG seemed like a good place to pick. It seems that all I hear about is how great their sushi is.

Edited to add: Okay so I just looked through the first 20 or so pages of your TR for May and found your birthday cupcake review. (1) I completely forgot it was noone's birthday--hilarious; (2) everything looks so yummy, probably b/c of the Roots but who cares; and (3) NOW I REMEMBER! "Almost too sweet" was what you said about the b-day cupcake. Hmmmm. I'm thinking that the taste of free would overpower the sweetness, but we'll see

Last edited by annnewjerz; 07-08-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #34
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
I haven't been to any of those places, so I'm not much help.

I considered Beaches and Cream for my trip in Sept., but went with Teppan Edo instead.

I love the light painting pictures though. I must have skipped over that thread in the Photography Board. Something I need to try sometime, but there's lots of things I need to try with my camera.
Sorry Scoot---missed your reply! Yeah the thread on the Photo Board with the light painting is pretty cool, if you ever need inspiration---look to Jeff (Gdad) , it seems that every day he is coming up with something new and creative.

It was really simple and incredibly fun. Next time, I'm going to try to get a little more intricate with what I "paint"---who knows, maybe in a few months I'll be posting a replica of the Mona Lisa
Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #35
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Sorry Scoot---missed your reply! Yeah the thread on the Photo Board with the light painting is pretty cool, if you ever need inspiration---look to Jeff (Gdad) , it seems that every day he is coming up with something new and creative.

It was really simple and incredibly fun. Next time, I'm going to try to get a little more intricate with what I "paint"---who knows, maybe in a few months I'll be posting a replica of the Mona Lisa
Yeah, Jeff and Mark are always pushing the limit. I've only had my XSi for a couple of months, so I still have a ton to learn.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #36
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Luckily in December, we'll be able to have some pricier meals. Still trying to decide between Jiko, Flying Fish or California Grill. We aren't big on sushi, so I didn't know if CG seemed like a good place to pick. It seems that all I hear about is how great their sushi is.
Oh no - do you have to choose?

OK, if you do, my experience has been that Jiko is consistently the best. We've eaten there... three or four times now, and it's always top-notch. We've done CA Grill twice. The first time it was good but I wasn't sure what the hype was about. The second time it was REALLY good, so maybe I shouldn't have ordered a boring old filet that first time.

As for Flying Fish, we've eaten there twice and were underwhelmed both times - even by the ever-popular potato-wrapped red snapper. I'd definitely take bluezoo over Flying Fish any day...

Also, re: the deal with CA Grill and sushi, all I can think is that the people who rave about it come from places where sushi is not readily available. As I like to say, in L.A., you can practically get sushi at the laundromat, so it was not a must-try at CA Grill. There is *plenty* of other stuff on the menu to eat....

People also rave about CA Grill's flatbread, which is similarly confounding to me - what is the deal with Orlando and flatbread? All the restaurants offer it like it's, I dunno, the second coming of Wolfgang Puck's gourmet pizza!

Quote:
Edited to add: Okay so I just looked through the first 20 or so pages of your TR for May and found your birthday cupcake review. (1) I completely forgot it was noone's birthday--hilarious; (2) everything looks so yummy, probably b/c of the Roots but who cares; and (3) NOW I REMEMBER! "Almost too sweet" was what you said about the b-day cupcake. Hmmmm. I'm thinking that the taste of free would overpower the sweetness, but we'll see
Hey, it's free - I say go for it!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #37
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Oh no - do you have to choose?
Unfortunately, I do I might be able to convince DH to do two Signature dinners---but it's doubtful.

Quote:
OK, if you do, my experience has been that Jiko is consistently the best. We've eaten there... three or four times now, and it's always top-notch. We've done CA Grill twice. The first time it was good but I wasn't sure what the hype was about. The second time it was REALLY good, so maybe I shouldn't have ordered a boring old filet that first time.

As for Flying Fish, we've eaten there twice and were underwhelmed both times - even by the ever-popular potato-wrapped red snapper. I'd definitely take bluezoo over Flying Fish any day...

Also, re: the deal with CA Grill and sushi, all I can think is that the people who rave about it come from places where sushi is not readily available. As I like to say, in L.A., you can practically get sushi at the laundromat, so it was not a must-try at CA Grill. There is *plenty* of other stuff on the menu to eat....

People also rave about CA Grill's flatbread, which is similarly confounding to me - what is the deal with Orlando and flatbread? All the restaurants offer it like it's, I dunno, the second coming of Wolfgang Puck's gourmet pizza!
I'm glad Jiko gets your since that was the one I was leaning towards. We went to FF in 2007 and had a really great meal (I had the red snapper and it was gooooood). I was thinking of going back because we loved it so much last time, but I guess when there are so many other great places to try---why do one a second time in two years? PLUS, we don't really have any other dinners in the plan that would really serve a great steak, so we may just end up with Jiko when all is said and done.

Quote:
Hey, it's free - I say go for it!
I'm going to milk my birthday/anniversary for all it's worth. I won't be wearing the special ears---but I'll be displaying my buttons with enthusiasm in the most prominent place I can think of!! Whatever I can get for free, I'll take it!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #38
annnewjerz

So, I'd like to take a moment to do something that I have been itching to do for quite a few months now...it's time for...

THE DOUBLE-DIGIT DANCE

That's right, folks. In a mere 99 days not only will it be my birthday, but we will be arriving in WDW to celebrate and attend MNSSHP on the 18th.

9 more days until ADR time, it's time to get serious!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #39
Villainess
Fantasy and reality often overlap - Walt Disney

Coming over from the Photography board - great PTR so far.

I am going to recommend The Plaza for your bday since you will be in the MK, good food, and I think in the 2 times I ate there during my 19 day still in Apr/May there was about 10 minutes where the servers were NOT singing Happy Birthday, anniversary, etc and bringing out cupcakes!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #40
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess View Post
Coming over from the Photography board - great PTR so far.

I am going to recommend The Plaza for your bday since you will be in the MK, good food, and I think in the 2 times I ate there during my 19 day still in Apr/May there was about 10 minutes where the servers were NOT singing Happy Birthday, anniversary, etc and bringing out cupcakes!
Woohoo! Welcome to my very very sad and somewhat neglected PTR.

Glad to hear good things about the Plaza---I can't imagine a much better birthday than being in WDW and getting a free cupcake, it's got to be only one step below winning the MegaMillions

Anywho, stay tuned. The PTR portion of this is sadly going to be less than exciting, but I'm looking forward to doing a mini-photo TR when I get back.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #41
annnewjerz

From two MNSSHPers to four---adding some friends to our night in WDW!

So I finally have an update!!

About two months ago, we were speaking to my brother in law about the fact that they (him and his boyfriend) were taking a trip to Florida and would be spending a day in Epcot, a day in DHS, and a day or two in Universal. They would not be going to the Magic Kingdom which I thought was craaaazy since my BIL had never been, but it was their trip so what could I do?? At this point, we were planning to be in Florida for MNSSHP on October 9th (our wedding anniversary) and thought nothing of it.

Fast forward to about a week ago, I was speaking to my brother in law and was getting updates about their trip---whether or not they had gotten tickets yet, what their dates were, etc. Well wouldn't ya know, they were arriving on October 16th, one day before our new arrival date!

They should go with us! My BIL has been to WDW once, but never to the Magic Kingdom. They were skipping it again this trip because according to him and his boyfriend, Magic Kingdom was for little kids. I know he would have so much fun if he just gave it a shot and so began the quest to convince them to go to MNSSHP with us.

I compiled pictures that I had asked for on the Photo Board, I got together the best YouTube videos of HalloWishes and the Boo To You parade---I got together pricing, laid out the details of when you could enter the park, what we would do while we were there, the candy, all of it!

.......now that the bait had been laid, I just to wait for a bite.

Well, yesterday that bite came! We are now officially a party of 4 going to MNSSHP on October 18th. We'll be meeting up with them at MK to go to the party at 4:00 and as soon as we enter, we'll try to get all of the best attractions done. I know my BIL is going to have a blast and I can't wait to see his face from the big drop at the end of Splash Mountain the first time he rides it.

Here's what we plan to do:

4:00 - 7:30pm
Enter the park and do whatever attractions we can in Adventureland/Frontierland/Liberty Square such as:
Splash Mountain
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road
Jungle Cruise

7:30 - 8:30pm
Grab dinner at Cosmic Ray's

8:30 - 11:00pm
Hang out on Main Street, stake out a spot for HalloWishes at 9:30 and the Boo To You parade at 10:30.

11:00 - 12:00am
Do some attractions in Tomorrowland/Fantasyland such as:
Mad Tea Party Tea Cups
Buzz Lightyear
It's a Small World
Peter Pan

So---that's the plan for now. We'll see how it goes.

Now we just need to think of something to dress up as.

Any suggestions??
Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #42
annnewjerz

Dresses and sweaters and flip flops---oh my!

So today I indulged in a little online pre-trip shopping

I was at work taking a break from the DIS and happened to stumble across Banana Republic's website. I saw the words "FINAL SALE" which for anyone who knows me (which would be none of you really ) means trouble!

I ended up finding a few long cardigan shawl neck belted sweater deals that were originally $80, marked down to $20. Now---I know what a lot of you are thinking.............

"Well Ann, if it was on final clearance, that's because no one liked it enough to buy it."

Hmmmm, even if you're right, for $20 when I wear a sweater every day to my freezer of an office building, how could I go wrong? Regardless, I doubt I will use said sweaters for my trip in October since it'll probably still be upper 80's, and because of this, I won't be posting a picture in this PTR. Sorry!

So, after adding these to my shopping bag, I saw that they were offering free shipping on orders of $100 or more.

What's this? That included purchases from BR, GAP and Old Navy!

Let me preface this by saying that I have found the clothes at Old Navy to be extremely poor quality. Usually within a couple of months, the hem will come out of my skirts, there will be a hole in the armpit of virtually ever sweater I purchased, etc. So why would I continue to shop there, you ask? Because it's CHEAP with a capital C-H-E-A-P!

I'm one of those that mixes and matches. A $15 dress with $100 sandals, a $5 pair of flip flops with a $25 dress from Target with a $135 Juicy cardigan. So there are certain parts of my wardrobe that are literally disposable---there are flip flops that I got on $2 clearance that I have been known to use super glue on because they're so comfy....but all of those sale items make room for lots of more expensive sale items to be mixed in.

But back to the good stuff.

So I went onto the Old Navy website and started looking at their sale section and found some very cute things that I can wear to WDW in October, wear on the weekends here during the summer and probably just barely suck the life out of for our trip in December as well.

$17.99 each---throw these on with some spandex shorts underneath for modesty, perfect lightweight dress for WDW.

$19.99---got this one in white, although I'm not really sold on it, looks like it may be a little short and I can't very well throw on black bike shorts underneath without it being too noticable. Had to get to my $100 total thought

$9.99---hopefully this will be a good cardigan. Usually I don't have good experiences with Old Navy sweaters in particular and I'm hoping this is the exception to that rule.

$2.99---these are the last thing I ordered. I'm sure they won't be extremely comfy for walking around WDW, but I got them for using around the hotel room (hotel carpets = GROSS) and by the pool if we use it in October.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #43
annnewjerz

Pinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnns.

So this post is about PINs. No, not the great kind that you find in your e-mail left by the Disney Fairy giving you 40% off and Free Dining all in one trip, the kind that you stick on a lanyard.

I recently took up pin collections and it's quite addictive. I've been trying to decide what pins (if any) I would take on my trip to WDW in October for MNSSHP. I don't think I should take all of them, since we'll only be going to the MK---so I think maybe I'll stick with my "spooky" pins, which would be Haunted Mansion.

Here are some of the ones I have collected so far that I'm thinking I'll bring:

My favorite.

There are more, but I'm just too lazy to look them all up on PinPics.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #44
annnewjerz

FINALLY! ADRs made!

Well folks, today was FINALLY my 90 day mark for our trip in October. And as many of you know, 90 days means ADRs!

My plan was to wake up at 5:30, get the computer started, pull up my reservation information and get to booking. Well, life threw me a curve ball and I ended up staying out until 1:30am playing "Catch Phrase" at a relative's house (yes, we are real party animals), so when my alarm went off at 5:30am this morning, my plans went out the window.

I went back to sleep until 8:00am and after a horrible dream where we booked the wrong dining plan, couldn't make any ADRs because I waited until too late in the day---I hastily signed onto my WDW account, pulled up my reservation information and got to booking.

I'm happy to say that I LOVED the online system. It was very easy, very fast and very awesome. Within about 5 minutes, I was all done with confirmation numbers in my e-mail and able to get another quick 30 minutes of sleep before the doggies woke me up.

Now I know what all two of you readers are thinking---"The suspense is killing me, what did you get?!"---and I hate to be the messenger for boring news, but it is exactly that.

After reading some of Carrie's (Lurkyloo) trip reports, seeing some pictures that her friends had taken at their lunch, and needing to pick some places that wouldn't take away too much park time, I decided on The Plaza Restaurant in the Magic Kingdom-------

--------for both of our ADRs.

So on October 17th at 6:00pm I'll be spending my birthday eating a delicious burger & fries, chocolate milkshake (made with chocolate icecream and chocolate syrup, which I have learned is the best blend for true chocolately goodness) and hopefully a free birthday cupcake. I'd really like it if I got to meet the Mayor, he seems like a hoot, but that'll just be the icing on the cake.

On October 18th at 5:00pm my party of four (Me, DH, DBIL and DBIL's boyfriend) will be eating delicious burgers & fries and chocolate milkshakes at The Plaza before attending MNSSHP. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. If I haven't seen an appearance by the Mayor yet, I hope I will get to this time.

The Plaza seemed like the perfect choice for a trip on a budget. Inexpensive, good food, in the park we will be visiting for each day, not too long a meal, right on Main Street so after we get out we can stake out our spots for the parade and fireworks if we feel so inclined.

I'm happy with my choice and I'm sure both trips will be highly enjoyable. I've heard nothing but good about The Plaza so far, so I'm not worried.

Only 3 more months and I'll be another year older in the happiest place on Earth!
Old 07-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #45
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Fast forward to about a week ago, I was speaking to my brother in law and was getting updates about their trip---whether or not they had gotten tickets yet, what their dates were, etc. Well wouldn't ya know, they were arriving on October 16th, one day before our new arrival date!

They should go with us!

I compiled pictures that I had asked for on the Photo Board, I got together the best YouTube videos of HalloWishes and the Boo To You parade---I got together pricing, laid out the details of when you could enter the park, what we would do while we were there, the candy, all of it!

.......now that the bait had been laid, I just to wait for a bite.

Well, yesterday that bite came! We are now officially a party of 4 going to MNSSHP on October 18th!

Awesome! I love how you set the trap!

Quote:
So this post is about PINs.
I recently took up pin collections and it's quite addictive. I've been trying to decide what pins (if any) I would take on my trip to WDW in October for MNSSHP. I don't think I should take all of them, since we'll only be going to the MK---so I think maybe I'll stick with my "spooky" pins, which would be Haunted Mansion.
Those HM pins are amazing! I love my pins, too...

Quote:
Well folks, today was FINALLY my 90 day mark for our trip in October. And as many of you know, 90 days means ADRs!

I'm happy to say that I LOVED the online system. It was very easy, very fast and very awesome. Within about 5 minutes, I was all done with confirmation numbers in my e-mail and able to get another quick 30 minutes of sleep before the doggies woke me up.
That is so good to hear... I don't know why, but I'm a bit apprehensive about making my ADRs online. I'm glad you got what you wanted... who cares if its the same restaurant... it's your birthday so eat where you want to!!

It won't be long now!

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: