Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #151
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good breakfast/snack item that I can ship to CSR in advance?

I will be shipping my tripod via UPS delivery on Monday for arrival on Thursday and would like to include as much in the package as possible, just to ensure we don't have any issue with only doing carry-ons for the trip.

At first I was thinking like, a box of mini-muffins and fiber one bars for snacking on between meals/breakfast, but I'm worried that they'll melt or something. I would hate to ship a bunch of food items down to The World, only to have them melt.

I guess I could make the food my "personal item" on the plane and just pack my purse with muffins and stuff and give DH my camera bag---but my camera gear is something I find hard giving over to another person to have sole control over. I think I just may need to let go, it is my DH after all, not a stranger.

I'm going to also try to ship down a couple of costume components in advance, to save some space in our bags. Namely, I want to ship DH's dixie cup cap, maybe my fringe flip flops and the costume jewelry I bought to go with my outfit.

Hmmmmmmmmm. I think I have a lot to figure out in the next day. Ugh. Wish me luck.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #152
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I just clicked to follow you on twitter and now I realize I won't be able to since I"ll be in the parks too. lol I'm still in the dark ages and don't have a phone that can do that.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #153
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good breakfast/snack item that I can ship to CSR in advance?

I will be shipping my tripod via UPS delivery on Monday for arrival on Thursday and would like to include as much in the package as possible, just to ensure we don't have any issue with only doing carry-ons for the trip.

At first I was thinking like, a box of mini-muffins and fiber one bars for snacking on between meals/breakfast, but I'm worried that they'll melt or something. I would hate to ship a bunch of food items down to The World, only to have them melt.

I guess I could make the food my "personal item" on the plane and just pack my purse with muffins and stuff and give DH my camera bag---but my camera gear is something I find hard giving over to another person to have sole control over. I think I just may need to let go, it is my DH after all, not a stranger.

I'm going to also try to ship down a couple of costume components in advance, to save some space in our bags. Namely, I want to ship DH's dixie cup cap, maybe my fringe flip flops and the costume jewelry I bought to go with my outfit.

Hmmmmmmmmm. I think I have a lot to figure out in the next day. Ugh. Wish me luck.
We brought NutriGrain bars, granola bars, muffin bars (are you noticing a trend?). You could probably stuff those in with the tripod and not have a problem.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #154
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
I just clicked to follow you on twitter and now I realize I won't be able to since I"ll be in the parks too. lol I'm still in the dark ages and don't have a phone that can do that.
Well maybe in December, I'll be "tweeting" and blogging for a whole week while we're in The World then.

I hope you guys have a great anniversary trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
We brought NutriGrain bars, granola bars, muffin bars (are you noticing a trend?). You could probably stuff those in with the tripod and not have a problem.
Hmmmmmm, could it be "bars"??

I think that's a good idea, maybe I'll throw in a box of strawberry poptarts for DH also, he's not allowed to eat them at home so it'll be a treat.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #156
annnewjerz

Let me preface this post by saying that I know we are going to Florida and I expect it to be hot. I am also not one of "those people" who sit and monitor the weather non-stop and believe everything the 10 day forecast says. I usually check the weather once my target date is within a day or two and that's what I take as my real weather prediction.

HOWEVER as of two days ago, I had looked up the 10 day forecast and was seeing temps that were 89 degrees for our trip down there! When we went in September of 07, the temp wasn't much warmer so I was really surprised to see such high temps. I popped over to the "Theme Parks" board and saw that I guess FL is having record temperatures right now.

Great.

If it was just me walking around, I'd have no problem. I like warm weather. But it's me plus who knows how many pounds of camera gear. Ugh. It sounded like this was going to shape up to be a little hotter than I'd like.

Now everyone, here is where the wishes for pixie dust comes into play.

I just checked the 10 day forecast again, and now the temps have dropped to 80-81 for our trip. This would be sooooo much better. With the humidity, this would be plenty hot, just not the unbearable, uncomfortable, suck the life right out of you kind of hot.

So everyone, give me some pixie dust! I want to come back with some spectacular photos to share and the cooler the weather, the greater the chances of that happening.

Hopefully at this time next week, I'll be sitting at CSR at the Dig Site pool with a drink and camera in hand, getting ready to take a power nap before changing into our costumes for MNSSHP.

Only 6 days now---so excited!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #157
annnewjerz

One more thing I can cross off of my never ending to-do list. Today, I mailed my package down to CSR. This package contains: my tripod, a leatherman utility tool, my collection of Chip & Dale pins, sunscreen, a box of Pop Tarts, a box of granola bars and a box of Crystal Light on-the-go packets so we don't have to spend tons of dough on drinks while in The World.

I've got to say, it feels nice to have that out of the way. I had to wake up at 5:30am today to get a ride into work (having car troubles) and I thought for sure I'd forget something. I'm hoping that I'm not speaking too soon, but right now it looks like everything that I needed to ship made it into the box and is waiting for pick-up by UPS as I type.

Another added bonus, I get a HUGE discount on UPS at work, so for a 10ish pound package-o-crap, it only cost something like $7 to ship. Not bad at all, if I say so myself.

Tonight, I have the task of trying to pry my DH away from the Phillies' game to start sorting some clothes that he wants to take with him to The World. I have no problem doing the packing, in fact I actually like it, but I refuse to pick out outfits for him to wear. After all, I'm not his mother. If we can get that started and get his shoes picked out, I'm sure we'll be on pace for being all packed by Friday night.

5 more days, people. 5 more days.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #158
annnewjerz

Would it be bad to pack my DH's quart sized ziploc in his carry-on with nips of liquor instead of with toiletries? He is content using the soap and shampoo that a hotel gives you (which I am not), so if I can fit all of my stuff in one ziploc---why not make good use of the other and stock up on the alcohol?

We aren't heavy drinkers, but DH hates to fly and I think if he was able to have his own Jack and Coke, he may be a little more relaxed on the flight down.

Are you even allowed to do this? I don't see why you couldn't---and who knows, maybe there is even a place to stock up on little drink bottles in the airport so we wouldn't need to waste the ziploc. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if there's a way to figure that out.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #159
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Would it be bad to pack my DH's quart sized ziploc in his carry-on with nips of liquor instead of with toiletries? He is content using the soap and shampoo that a hotel gives you (which I am not), so if I can fit all of my stuff in one ziploc---why not make good use of the other and stock up on the alcohol?

We aren't heavy drinkers, but DH hates to fly and I think if he was able to have his own Jack and Coke, he may be a little more relaxed on the flight down.

Are you even allowed to do this? I don't see why you couldn't---and who knows, maybe there is even a place to stock up on little drink bottles in the airport so we wouldn't need to waste the ziploc. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if there's a way to figure that out.
Not sure if that's going to work because alcohol is flammable. The TSA has a website that lists what you can and can't carry on.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #160
annnewjerz

Quote:
Not sure if that's going to work because alcohol is flammable. The TSA has a website that lists what you can and can't carry on.
That sounds a little silly, since most everything is flammable if you light it on fire. I can understand not taking something like gasoline on a plane, but nips of whiskey? Dumb.

I can say with 100% certainty that we can take alcohol on the plane. We've always bought a bottle at the duty free shop when we take trips out of the country and carried them on, but maybe it's different if you purchase it pre-security versus post-security.

I think we'll try it anyway, at the worst, DH will have to stand there with his shoes off while TSA agents watch him down a few shots worth of liquor.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #161
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you are getting your plans finalized!! I'm getting excited for you guys...are you just about busting apart from excitment?!

I love your comment on flammable things...yes, since most things will burn if you light them on fire, I would think the list of "flammable" object would pretty much limit a lot. But that would be nice if you could take your own alcohol; and if it's in a smaller container that passes, how would they know? If you want to be sneaky, you could always get a small thing of mouthwash, rinse out the container and then pour the drink in there.

Take care and have a great day!
Katie

Old 10-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #162
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
That sounds a little silly, since most everything is flammable if you light it on fire. I can understand not taking something like gasoline on a plane, but nips of whiskey? Dumb.

I can say with 100% certainty that we can take alcohol on the plane. We've always bought a bottle at the duty free shop when we take trips out of the country and carried them on, but maybe it's different if you purchase it pre-security versus post-security.

I think we'll try it anyway, at the worst, DH will have to stand there with his shoes off while TSA agents watch him down a few shots worth of liquor.
Yeah, but we're dealing with the TSA here. Not exactly a beacon of genius.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #163
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
Sounds like you are getting your plans finalized!! I'm getting excited for you guys...are you just about busting apart from excitment?!
I most definitely am getting excited. Each time the forecast shows our days dropped by a degree, the excitement level goes up. Right now we're at 78 and sunny for 2 of 3 days of the trip. I know we still have a while to go, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for warm breezy weather and low crowds. It'll be my birthday, I think I deserve it.

Quote:
Yeah, but we're dealing with the TSA here. Not exactly a beacon of genius.
You make a very valid point, Scott.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #164
annnewjerz

For all of you who may not be reading my dining review thread, first of all---shame on you!!! Second of all, I need suggestions for snacks. With only 5 days to go, this is something I more or less ignored and now without further time to research I have no idea what snacks I should get.

I won't be on the DDP, so that's not an issue. We are, however, on a bit of a budget---so I'd like to keep the snacks to $5 and under. We will only be at CSR and the MK area, with the exception of one dinner over at the Dolphin.

I have never eaten any of the famous Disney World snacks. I've never slurped down a Dole Whip Float. I've never tried to fit an icecream cookie sandwich into my mouth without icecream popping out. I've never gotten sticky fingers from a Main Street Bakery cinnamon bun. I've never snacked on Disney popcorn while riding the Walt Disney World Railroad around the park.

The one completely yummy snack I have had at The World is the chocolate dipped Mickey rice krispy treats. Mmmmmmm, so good and a definite must.

So, what are your favorite snacks? I need suggestions for the best of the best people. We have a $20 per day snack budget, so I'm figuring that's about 2 snacks per person to cover whatever meal we are missing that day.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Only 5 (almost 4 now) more days, everyone!!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #165
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

Snacks- I had the ice cream cookie sandwich last trip and I wasn't a huge fan so that would be a skip for me. I'd suggest corn dog nuggets but I think I read they changed the dog to something not so great.

I'd suggest trying a dole whip hold the float. Go into the bakery and get some fudge or chocolate covered rice crispy treat. We also had a yummy frozen juice type drink over behind the Aladdin carpets.

Also, I'm SO glad the weather is looking so nice while we're there! I was getting worried we'd have a repeat of May's weather.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: