Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

How are the crowds during Jan Marathon Weekend??

Have any of you done any of the marathons? How is transportation. Do they have buses to get to world wide of sports complex to pick up your packets? And how about the day of the race? Do the buses run that early?

We're staying at SSR, so not sure if we should rent a car or not. Thanks.

*I changed the title for one of the posters question*

Hope you get an answer.

Last edited by Lynn5700; 06-09-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

We did the 1/2 in 2008. Yes, there are buses to the WWOS from the hotels. If I remember correctly, there are special stops set up just for race related buses. The morning of the race, the buses start at around 3 am or so. I think the last bus is at 4 am. I can't remember exactly, but it will say in the race guide.

We rented a car because a) I got it for like $100 for the week and b) I wanted to be able to hightail it out of the Epcot parking lot without having to wait for another bus. But the way the transportation is set up, you really don't need a car.
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Ok cool. Thank you.

Where do you recommend we rent a car from? I have heard that you can pick up your car at Disney???
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have heard that you can pick up your car at Disney???
You can rent from National/Alamo at the Disney Car Care Center (on World Drive south of the MK parking lots). There are also rental agency desks at the Dolphin and Shades of Green. We've used National at the Car Care Center. They provide free shuttle service to/from your WDW resort.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
ntsammy5
DIS Veteran

There are buses all over the place - they bring in lots more specifically for the marathon. We stayed at SoG and rented a car at MCO - but there was transportation everyplace if you needed it.
ntsammy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
janets
A bad day at Disney is better than a good day anywhere else!

Can anyone tell me what the crowds are like during marathon weekend? I have friends considering coming down for the week that would include marathon weekend and we are trying to decide if crowds will be worse during this week or during the week that includes MLK weekend.

Anyone have any input?

Disneyland 1991 Offsite 1992 CBR August 1997 Swan/CR Concierge January 2001 CR/DCL Wonder August 2001 CR December 2001
Offsite December 2004 POR June 2005 Offsite Jersey Week Nov 2005 WL February 3-6, 2006 Spring Break April 8-14, 2006 Free Dining Sept. 9-16, 2006 NJ Teachers' Conv. 11/4-11/11/06 Jason's 9th Birthday February 3-6, 2007 Aug. 18-25, 2007 March 23, 2008 August 16-22, 2008 April 9-17, 2009 February 18-22, 2011 July 22-25, 2011

janets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by janets View Post
Can anyone tell me what the crowds are like during marathon weekend? I have friends considering coming down for the week that would include marathon weekend and we are trying to decide if crowds will be worse during this week or during the week that includes MLK weekend.

Anyone have any input?
Crowds at the parks aren't really that bad. It's just hard getting to the MK and Epcot on those mornings.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:28 AM   #8
EAWildman
Mouseketeer

We have been down in WDW in January twice and both times were over the Marathon Weekend. I didn't think the crowds were bad either time (2006 and 2009). You could tell a difference on the weekend days...there were more people than during the week. But, many people are so busy during the actual races, that the parks remain pretty low.

As mentioned earlier, the trick is getting to the parks the morning of the full marathon. Roads are closed and even Disney transportation is rerouted. So, plan accordingly.

I love going in January. From the sounds of it...MLK weekend is much more crowded than Marathon weekend. And most of the people who run are so nice and fun to talk to too!

Eric
--Billy Joel
----------------------------------------------
Charter Member of D23
EAWildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn5700 View Post
Have any of you done any of the marathons? How is transportation. Do they have buses to get to world wide of sports complex to pick up your packets? And how about the day of the race? Do the buses run that early?

We're staying at SSR, so not sure if we should rent a car or not. Thanks.

*I changed the title for one of the posters question*

Hope you get an answer.
They contract for extra buses from Mears and other bus companies in the area. Every resort should have a station with signage, and the buses leave pretty regularly, for both the Expo, as well as the actual races. Getting to the expo at peak times can be tough as the limited parking fills up with cars, and backs up traffic even though the buses are just trying to drop off/pick up. The buses start several hours before the race, and they actually expect you to be on a bus by 4 I think since they start closing roads about 4:30ish. Either way, bus or car, make sure to leave early cause once they start closing roads, you are outta luck even if you are in the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janets View Post

Anyone have any input?
Crowds during marathon weekend aren't that bad in the parks. Most of the runners won't go to the parks afterwards (it's tough enough to walk around at that point). Restaurants and hotels will be busy, but the actual weekend should be a bit slow as far as park crowds go. Just make sure to allow for extra time in the mornings to get to wherever you are going due to the road closures.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: