Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Our *R&R* TR 7/31 - 8/6 Wilderness Lodge We Are Home! Update Page 6

Hi there! Welcome to my first ever PTR! Let me introduce myself, I'm Brea, a 30 yr old SAHM who loves Disney! My DH is currently deployed and we are *anxiously* awaiting his R&R in August.

We decided for R&R that we would take advantage of all the wonderful military discounts and head to WDW for an entire week!

Here is the cast..

Me, DH, DS (4), DD (19 months)

DS is slightly Cars *Lightning McQueen* obsessed, and DD is just starting to learn her Disney Princesses!

This has been quite the adventure, planning our WDW trip by myself. DH has really no preference so I get to decide everything! I haven't been to WDW for 25 years and SOOOO much has changed.. it's a little overwhelming.
Luckily, I have my BFF to help me out (she is DisneyLand obsessed) and everyone on this board!

Originally, we were going to stay at AKL. I called this past weekend to change to WL!! I think that will be more appropriate for my family, and I am really looking forward to that ferry to MK!

Our tentative (I say tentative because the military has been known to change it's mind as it pleases ) are August 1 - 8.

Here's a rundown of our tentative itinerary.

8-1 - DD
8-2 - HS
8-3 - MK
8-4 - AK
8-5 - MK
8-6 - Epcot
8-7 - Breakfast with Lilo & Stitch

If ANYone has any tips, ideas, suggestions that you can give me, please do! I let them know when I made our resort reservations that we will be celebrating DH's R&R, and his promotion as well. Does anyone know what special things they can possibly do?

Anyway, thanks for reading! Much more to come later!

Last edited by TinyDancer; 08-26-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
jewels1916
Why do all my dreams extend just around the riverbend?

Hi Brea! What a fun trip it looks like you are planning! You will absolutely love Wilderness Lodge. It's probably the one I recommend the most! Riding the ferry over to MK is a lot of fun! You have a beautiful family, and I think you are all going to have a great time!

If your DS is a huge Cars fan, you should make sure to take a little pit stop over by the Backlot Tour and he can "meet" Lightening McQueen and Mater, and you can take pics. They do this at different times during the day, so if you grab a "Times Guide" as you walk into the park (right by the maps), it should list what times they will be there.

Have you thought about ordering a cake to celebrate seeing DH, and his promotion? There is an entire thread about ordering cakes at WDW to be served at a certain meal. Sometimes they can be a little $$$ but sometimes they are not so bad. The thread is over on the restaurant board, I think.

Something else that is fun to do is watch the Floating Electrical Pageant from the little beach behind Wilderness Lodge on Seven Seas Lagoon. Right now, they play it nightly around 9pm - might not be do-able since you have little ones, but its fun, and since it's evening, it is a little cooler.

Whew....sorry I just wrote a novel. I am subbing, and I can't wait to read more about your plans!
'89 - off site (age 4) - DMom DDad Me '94 - off site (age 9) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DGrandparents '99 - All-Star Movies (age 14) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DSister '02 - All-Star Sports (age 16) - Contest of Champions - Dance Team '06 - Wilderness Lodge (age 21) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DSister '08 - Contemporary (age 23) - Finished Grad School - DMom DDad Me Dec. '09 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (age 24) - MVMCP - BFF Kelly Me May/June 2010 - POFQ/Pop (age 25) - BFF Kelly and Disboards BFF PiperMae Oct. '12 - Land and Sea Boardwalk/DCL Dream (age 27) - MNSSHP - BFF Joey and Fam Feb. '13 - Polynesian (age 27) - Sister's 21st bday - DMom, DDad, DSis

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

You have an adorable family!

Can't wait to read more!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels1916 View Post
Hi Brea! What a fun trip it looks like you are planning! You will absolutely love Wilderness Lodge. It's probably the one I recommend the most! Riding the ferry over to MK is a lot of fun! You have a beautiful family, and I think you are all going to have a great time!

If your DS is a huge Cars fan, you should make sure to take a little pit stop over by the Backlot Tour and he can "meet" Lightening McQueen and Mater, and you can take pics. They do this at different times during the day, so if you grab a "Times Guide" as you walk into the park (right by the maps), it should list what times they will be there.

Have you thought about ordering a cake to celebrate seeing DH, and his promotion? There is an entire thread about ordering cakes at WDW to be served at a certain meal. Sometimes they can be a little $$$ but sometimes they are not so bad. The thread is over on the restaurant board, I think.

Something else that is fun to do is watch the Floating Electrical Pageant from the little beach behind Wilderness Lodge on Seven Seas Lagoon. Right now, they play it nightly around 9pm - might not be do-able since you have little ones, but its fun, and since it's evening, it is a little cooler.

Whew....sorry I just wrote a novel. I am subbing, and I can't wait to read more about your plans!

Wow thanks!!
We definitely will have to meet Lightning. I told DS that he is there and his eyes almost popped out of his head! He is SO excited.

I have thought about getting a cake. I saw the thread about cakes in the Restaurant section, but I haven't clicked it yet lol... I am a little worried about seeing those prices!

I am really hoping we get to do some things in the evening, like the Electrical Pageant! I think with a nap during the day & plenty of breaks *hopefully* we can get back out in the evening when it's cooler.

Thanks so much for subbing!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
You have an adorable family!

Can't wait to read more!

Thank you so much!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

After reading ArmyWife3-4's PTR, I also decided to make Mickey Mouse rice krispie treats to send to my DH, to get him in the wonderful Disney spirit.
I searched the mall high and low yesterday and could not find a cookie cutter!! Finally I looked at disneyshopping.com last night and found one for $4.95!
Now I am just waiting for them to ship so I can get DH's Disney / Birthday care package out to him.
He is also *very* excited to be headed to WDW (his first trip ever!) but don't think he will admit that to many people

I am drawing a blank on what else to send him Disney-related.. it has to be small and able to make it all the way to Afghanistan!

Suggestions are welcome!!

Next up.. restaurant itinerary

Last edited by TinyDancer; 06-03-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
ChevyNat
DIS Veteran

You have a lovely family... I can't wait to read more.
I am also heading for Disney in August, I have Disney fever since the first time I went in 2003, and now, I can't get enough of Disney.

2003- DisneyWorld, off-site / 2004 - DisneyWorld, OKW/
2005 - Disneyland, off-site / 2006 - Jan 30th Coronado Spring 2007 - OKW/SSR / 2008 - OKW / 2009-OKW/ 2010 vacation home
trip report/4 gals and a boy 2008
Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyNat View Post
You have a lovely family... I can't wait to read more.
I am also heading for Disney in August, I have Disney fever since the first time I went in 2003, and now, I can't get enough of Disney.

Really?

I am a little concerned about the heat & crowds of August.. but not concerned enough to let that stop us from going. :D
Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

I have not made ADR's yet!!! I am sure this is a Disney Crime.. being 58 days out with no ADR's. What am I waiting on? Well, I am still a little scared that DH's leave time will be changed and then I will be stuck cancelling & re-scheduling ADR's..

Anyway, here is my *wish* list.. maybe I should go ahead & call today to see if I can still get in??

T Rex
Toy Story Pizza Planet
Pinnochio Village Haus
Breakfast with Donald at Tusker House
Tony's Town Square
Breakfast with Lilo & Stitch
Whispering Canyon
Coral Reef

I know most of those are no ADR's, but we aren't on the Dining Plan so we need to eat cheap most days.
We will have a fridge in our room, so I think that will help out with breakfast and some snacks, although I'm not sure how big it is?

I do have a few more CS restaurants on my wish list, but these are the *most* important ones to me..

Is there any hope I can still get in Coral Reef??

OH... my Mickey Mouse cookie cutters shipped today!!! I can't wait to get those Rice Krispie Mickey treats to DH!!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
jewels1916
Why do all my dreams extend just around the riverbend?

Whispering Canyon is a riot - y'all should make sure and ask for some ketchup.

If you try for an ADR at Coral Reef for an off time, you shouldn't have trouble getting it. You'll also have a better chance of sitting by the tank to see everything.

All of your ADRs look really good.
May I make a suggestion just incase you don't happen to get one and need a back up? Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom. My family loves this place. It's a character meal with the characters from Winnie the Pooh, but what we love about it so much is to make an ADR around 10:30, 10:45 or so. About this time (especially in August) you will have already spent some time in the park and you'll be hot and ready to sit down. So you can go in and cool off and have a bit to eat. I think about 11 is the time they will be switching the breakfast buffet over to the lunch buffet, so you can get a little smattering of both meals.

Just a suggestion, it's a meal my family eats at every time we are there. (And the youngest in my fam is 17! We still get a kick out of the characters.)

I believe the refrigerator that you will have is about the size of a refrigerator you might see in a college dorm room. Pretty small, but it will fit milk, juice, waterbottles, cold cuts, fruit and veggie snacks. It works for what it is.

I am going to go check out that Mickey cookie-cutter! My favorite things to eat at WDW are the Mickey rice-krispies!
'89 - off site (age 4) - DMom DDad Me '94 - off site (age 9) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DGrandparents '99 - All-Star Movies (age 14) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DSister '02 - All-Star Sports (age 16) - Contest of Champions - Dance Team '06 - Wilderness Lodge (age 21) - DMom DDad Me DBrother DSister '08 - Contemporary (age 23) - Finished Grad School - DMom DDad Me Dec. '09 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (age 24) - MVMCP - BFF Kelly Me May/June 2010 - POFQ/Pop (age 25) - BFF Kelly and Disboards BFF PiperMae Oct. '12 - Land and Sea Boardwalk/DCL Dream (age 27) - MNSSHP - BFF Joey and Fam Feb. '13 - Polynesian (age 27) - Sister's 21st bday - DMom, DDad, DSis

Old 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

I forgot to make ADR's for Whispering Canyon when I JUST called!! I did, however get my ADR's for Coral Reef, Bf with Donald & BF with Lilo & Stitch!
I had to adjust my schedule just a bit (switch pool day & Epcot day) but that is FINE by me!!
The lady I spoke with mentioned something new they are starting late June.. about a Pirate party or something? I am going to have to see what that is, my DS would love it.

Now I am just trying to figure out how much to budget for food...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels1916 View Post
Whispering Canyon is a riot - y'all should make sure and ask for some ketchup.

If you try for an ADR at Coral Reef for an off time, you shouldn't have trouble getting it. You'll also have a better chance of sitting by the tank to see everything.

All of your ADRs look really good.
May I make a suggestion just incase you don't happen to get one and need a back up? Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom. My family loves this place. It's a character meal with the characters from Winnie the Pooh, but what we love about it so much is to make an ADR around 10:30, 10:45 or so. About this time (especially in August) you will have already spent some time in the park and you'll be hot and ready to sit down. So you can go in and cool off and have a bit to eat. I think about 11 is the time they will be switching the breakfast buffet over to the lunch buffet, so you can get a little smattering of both meals.

Just a suggestion, it's a meal my family eats at every time we are there. (And the youngest in my fam is 17! We still get a kick out of the characters.)

I believe the refrigerator that you will have is about the size of a refrigerator you might see in a college dorm room. Pretty small, but it will fit milk, juice, waterbottles, cold cuts, fruit and veggie snacks. It works for what it is.

I am going to go check out that Mickey cookie-cutter! My favorite things to eat at WDW are the Mickey rice-krispies!

I can't figure out how to multi-quote?? Anyway.. CP would not fly with my DH he hates all Winnie the Pooh characters. Thanks for the suggestion though.

That is great about the fridge.. we'll definitely be having some snacks in the room!!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
Raecheal
DIS Veteran

Such a beautiful Family... I've never stayed at WL but I've read great things about it...Congrats on booking your ADR!!

I"m def. in .. and looking forward to reading about your plans.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raecheal View Post
Such a beautiful Family... I've never stayed at WL but I've read great things about it...Congrats on booking your ADR!!

I"m def. in .. and looking forward to reading about your plans.
Hi there!! I see you are Twilight obsessed as well. I am on my 3rd time through reading the books.. getting ready to start Eclipse again. Can't get enough of those books!!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
Malibelle
Malibelle
I think my hand is glued to the mouse!

You are going to have a great time on yoru trip. YOu ADR's look good. WCC is so fun.

If you are eating at COral Reef, I am not sure if they still do this but when we celebrated our 1st anniversary I set up with the manager ther eto have a customized menue made, with our pictures plus she set up the diver in the tank to hold a sign up that said Happy Anniversary to my DH. You may be able to do this still, not sure and it was free. I know there used to be a thread about it. If I can find it I will post it for you.

There is also the special wishes cruise too, if you can find someone to share it with its not as much money. I think there is a tread on the planning board.

3 times though the Twilight books! Wow, I am on New moon and I can't seem to get through it, I need to soon before the movie comes out!

Evan's 1st Bday and WDW Visit!
[link=http://distickers.com/ticker/]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: