Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #766
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Man how I adore Disney trivia and your update was full of it!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

I'm so glad you were able to do a lot of exploring and just enjoy DHS before the rains came. Even better you were able to just have some time to relax and rest those poor feet of yours!!

I cannot wait for our DHS day...the 4 of us are going to have a blast hitting up certain places and areas and I think One Man's Dream should be one of them!!!!!

Great update LL!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 07-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #767
stace208
DIS Veteran

Great updates LL! I'm glad you had a good time at DHS both with Jen and by yourself. I know the rain might be a bummer but it forced you to give your feet just what they need. Sounds like a relaxing evening at your resort-something I need to do more of!!

I really need to do One Man's Dream. I think I did it 15 years ago but not since then-if it was even open then. As you saw from the sign, not much was there back then!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #768
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Sigh...I just love One Man's Dream-I'm a big fan of all that early Disney history/trivia...sigh

I'm starting DS out early reading him a kid's bio of Disney-he was really so visionary and I particularly love his early short cartoons from the 30s and of course Snow White-beautiful... and the 50s-Peter Pan and Sleeping Beauty and Alice of course...

I was really interested in your report of the Hollywood Brown Derby-sounds great-I enjoyed living vicariously through your experience-I started having a meal there once...but dd started to feel ill so I took her outside and let DH & DS finish......I'll have to get back there some day...

(I got sick on a different trip and missed my meal at Jiko...-perhaps my family is cursed...and it's never the Counter Service we miss-its the Table Service that I was really looking forward to...(DS got sick when we were in Disneyland and we missed Napa Rose at the Grand Californian)-ok... so we've had three strikes-NO MORE ALLOWED-As God as my witness-it will never happen again...

I love that your having a good time solo and can't wait till your mom shows up...

(I am sorry about your feet and hope they feel better-that can be such a miserable feeling...)
Old 07-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #769
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Great updates . It looks like you had a great meal at Hollywood Brown Derby. That is one I have not tried yet but maybe next May when my DH & I go for our anniv trip. Sounds like you did the right thing by going back to the resort & resting your feet.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #770
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

I love your solo adventure!!! Part of me would love a night in a hotel all to myself
Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #771
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

Great update, ah to go solo...not for awhile for me! We loved the Voyage of the LM!!
Old 07-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #772
MegansMom
Always Ready to Go Back with my "Minnie" Megan Mouse!

I think you made GREAT use of your solo time that day!!! I think it was a really good idea to get out of that rain and to give your feet some much needed rest!!! I hope it really helped ease their pain! Can't wait to see what is in store for the next day!

June 2012 PTR--click here! July 2011 PTR-- click here! September 2009 PTR/TR --click here!June 2008 PTR/TR---click here!
Past Trips: 1978:Offsite 1980:Offsite 1982: Poly 1987: Poly 1992:Dixie Landings May 2001:Offsite Sep 2006: BWV Nov 2007:CSR/SSR June 2008: OKW Sep 2009: POFQ July 2011: AKV June 2012: OKW!!!
DH (36) ME (35) DD(8)
Old 07-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #773
belle8306
DIS Veteran

Your afternoon sounds lovely. HS was a good choice to start off your solo adventure. I actually just saw Spectromagic for the first time on our last trip. I loved it! The music and all the lights were just wonderful! I made sure we went back so I could see it again before we left. I am looking forward to your pictures.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #774
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post

Did you all know that DHS (when it was MGM) used to have a Hidden Mickey built into the actual park? You can see it here in this park map-center but upside down. It was visible from the sky -Echo Lake is one ear....the other ear was sort of painted on the roofs of buildings. And you could see it on early park maps. Sadly all you can see now on the maps is part of Mickey's mouth and nose.
That is awesome! I had heard that there was a hidden Mickey but was never able to find a map that showed it. Thanks for sharing!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #775
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

I love the pics from MGM (it will always be MGM to me). I went there for the first time in 1992 and it was my favorite immediately. There weren't alot of rides/attractions, but what they had took longer to see. I remember the Backlot tour took a few hours I think. It started with the tram tour right next door to the Animation area, and then it eventually brought you up to where the Backlot area is now. You got off the tram, had the chance to use the restrooms (shop the Roger Rabbit themed gift shop), and then you started at the water special effects for the rest of the tour. It was very cool. You actually walked through all the buildings where Toy Story Mania/One Man's Dream ect. is now. I remember they used to do the bee scene from Honey I Shrunk the Kids and they'd show you a Bette Midler film and show how they filmed it. You'd eventually end up back where you started. The Animation tour used to be alot longer and more fun too. Back when they had animators working on real films there.

I miss the old park. I like it now, but it's not the same for me anymore. Of course I feel the same way about Epcot too.

Glad you got to have a nice restful night.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #776
Yemdog
Earning My Ears

Cool.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #777
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Thanks for another great update! One Man's Dream is such a wonderful exhibit! I stumbled upon it in 2008 - I really had not known that it was there and enjoyed it soo much! I hope they will keep the MGM exhibit around for a while, I would like to see it in January.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #778
TravelBug86
Princess of Quite A Lot

I definitely share your love of The Little Mermaid!!! I was only 4 y/o I think when the movie came out, and I'm pretty sure my Mom said she took me twice to see it in the theatre I STILL CRY AT THE END OF THE MOVIE!!! Actually I get teary eyed throughout the movie, as it brings back a lot of childhood memories. I'd like to read the Haans Christian Novel someday.
Too bad about the rain- but I always say a "night in" at Disney is better than a night out in regular life!
Can't wait to hear all about your next day at MK

Old 07-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #779
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

I'm here, and I'm caught up.

I feel so sorry for you with your feet. Oh my goodness. There is nothing worse than hurting feet when you're at a place where you walk so much! I've had experiences like that, but I don't think they were quite so painful.

What a wonderful time you and Jen had together! I love reading about it!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #780
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post

Did you all know that DHS (when it was MGM) used to have a Hidden Mickey built into the actual park? You can see it here in this park map-center but upside down. It was visible from the sky -Echo Lake is one ear....the other ear was sort of painted on the roofs of buildings. And you could see it on early park maps. Sadly all you can see now on the maps is part of Mickey's mouth and nose.
That is the coolest! Thanks for pointing that out Heidi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookieB View Post
All caught up! Some great eats LL! You have introduced to some new snacks I must try in Oct. opcorn The corn dog nuggets and cream cheese pretzel look very yummy. So sorry about the rain and your feet hurting but it looks like you made the best of it.
They are very very yummy. I can't wait to eat them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
That is one very cool piece of Disney trivia and I would love to have one of those maps! You really do learn something new everyday on the DIS!
You really do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
What a great solo afternoon/evening. Glad you found your groove!

TSM is so much fun, isn't it? Although I've been through One Man's Dream twice before you got pics of some things I haven't seen. I am so looking forward to exploring it more carefully this trip. And capping it off with dinner at Brown Derby.

Oh, my friends the Muppets. How I them. That's another area I want to really explore this time. And see the WHOLE pre-show. And find the key under the map. See the net full of jello.

SO very sorry your feet gave you such trouble. I hate having to stand on the bus at the end of a long day. I know you are planning lots of blister preventatives for your next trip-- I wonder if it was all the rain that exacerbated the issues? Hopefully we won't have that to contend with in Sept/Oct!
I really adore TSM! I really want to get there at rope drop so I can walk through the line without waiting for hours. I want to see all of the details.

I don't think I've ever seen the net full of jello. Hmm. I wonder if I just didn't realize what it is.

I really do think the rain made my blisters worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
You did great on your own! I'm glad you finally got to talk to your mom on the phone!
It seems to me that the rain forced you to give your feet some much needed rest!
Yes I did give them a lot of rest which was very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
You and Brooklynn would get along just dandy! She has seen Little Mermaid about a thousand times. Considering she's not even three yet, that could be a record. She is the cutest thing singing along with all of the songs.

I always think about poor Triton, too. He loved his little girl so much that he gave her up for what he knew she wanted.

Alone time resting in the room with some good eats sounds good.

Seeing the updated bedspread made me wish Pop was ready to update. Music and Sports seem so clean and bright now in comparison. I guess Movies will be next, though, and then they'll start on Pop. Who knows?

Keep those pictures coming! It's getting me more and more ready to go!
I bet Brooklynn is the cutest little thing ever watching Ariel and the gang. It would be nice for Pop to be updated, I am sure they have it scheduled for soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaGirl View Post
Great solo time! I'm glad you got into your solo groove and we able to enjoy yourself before the downpour.

I can imagine you eating that cheesecake and it gave me a laugh.
Hehehe, yes it was quite the picture. I contemplated going back for a fork or spoon but then I thought of the rain and my feet and I just went with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko_33785 View Post
Nice update. I never noticed the sign that said that the Jolly Holiday dress at One Man's Dream was a replica! I thought it was the real thing. Now I feel a little crushed.

Sounds like a fun day. Too bad it had to end with rain. Looking forward to another fantastic day.
I thought so too. It was exciting to think it was the original! Sigh. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFaeriePrincess View Post
Ooo I'm sorry about the rain but it seems like you had a nice night and it was probably good for you feet too! I hope you don't have feet problems on your next trip. I love the Little Mermaid Show, it was my absolute favorite movie when I was little too. I used to watch it all the time!! I love the Muppet Show too, I used to watch the Muppet Show on tv when I was younger!!
I did have a nice night, sometimes it's nice just to relax!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: