Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
RVGal
Proud Redhead
Just call me Elmer 'cause I'll stick with you like glue
I walked the dog in my pjs
by not watching Rosie O'Donnell, I wound up with my nether regions on fire

Our APs are about to EXPIRE! Oh, no. Let's GO!

Seriously, that is the only reason why we took this trip. Our APs were about to expire. I think that might have something to do with the pricing trend toward making APs more desirable. Hmmmm...

We aquired APs for a last minute trip at my sister's request when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I can't believe that was only a year ago. The link for that trip report is in my signature. Anyway, the APs were because we had already booked another trip in October, so it priced out cheaper for the two trips.

Fast forward to this June and my mom mentions that she wants to go back to Disney World. I told her we still had the APs, but they would expire the end of July. That resulted in a panicked, "Well, book a room! Let's go!"

I'm getting good at packing for Disney World at a moments notice.

The cast for this trip:

Me (Tricia)
Mom (that would be my mom)
Joshua (DS7)
Daniel (DS3)

My husband had to stay at home and work. He missed the trip last July too, but he was there for the October one. He doesn't seem to mind if we go without him, as long as we go with him too. He's a pretty good guy. I think I'll keep him.

We were packed and ready to go on Thursday, June 4th. Our plan originally was to leave early on Friday (the 5th) and drive the whole way, but since we were packed up we thought we'd get a head start and drive part of the way. I knew I had to wait until after 2pm to leave because that is when our employee clocks out and Thursday is payroll (Friday is payday). We own a small business, so I have to meet those obligations first. No problem, leaving at 2 would still give us several hours to get over halfway, if not most of the way, to Orlando.

Then Daniel started complaining that his tummy hurt.

I'm not just talking about little whines, but big serious yells. Great. I called the doctor's office and explained the situation and they agreed to see him right away. The doctor pushed on his abdomen and watched Daniel's face for reaction. He was concerned about the area that was tender. He told me that there was a 50/50 chance he had early appendicitis.

We rushed over to the lab at the hospital for a lower abdominal MRI. First, I had to convince Daniel to drink a pint of lemonade-ish flavored stuff. Oh, that was fun. Then he had to stay still for the MRI, which was also fun. (I hope you can smell the sarcasm here. ) An hour later the results showed... nothing was wrong. Well, not nothing. Apparently the little guy was very, very constipated. That's it? He just needs to go potty? Sheesh. I can fix that without a doctor's help. Kicking myself here.

Even though it was later than we planned, we still decided to head out and get a few hours driving in. I thought we might at least make it into Florida before we stopped. That was before the monsoon hit. The rain was coming down in sheets. I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of the car and we were moving at a snail's pace. I gave up around Macon because it was almost bedtime for the boys and pulled off to find a hotel. What a miserable day.

I should note at this point that I have to keep on a strict bedtime routine due to Joshua's medical condition. He has epilepsy and his seizures are sleep triggered. When he is sleep deprived he is much more likely to have a seizure, so we just keep him on a regular bedtime to minimize the risk. It doesn't stop them completely, but it sure helps.

Friday, June 5, 2009

We were up at our regular time (about 6:30am) and we checked out of the hotel. We went to the Waffle House next door for breakfast before hitting the road to finish the trip. When we exited the Waffle House, full and raring to go, I noticed one of the tires on my van was low.

At this point, I'm beginning to think that the vacation gods have it in for me.

I went back inside the restaurant and asked where I could go to get my tire checked. Turns out there is a Wal-Mart with a tire center less than a mile away. I drove slowly to Wally World, pulled in, and a very nice man checked my tire. He found this:

See the blue circle on the inside wall of my tire? Yeah, they can't repair a puncture on the wall of the tire. Only if it is in the treads. What I thought would be a simple plug-and-drive-away turned into a new tire purchase. There went the first $80 of the trip.

So, much later than we planned, again, we finally hit the road south. We stopped at the Florida Welcome Center.

And by late afternoon we arrived.

We checked into All Star Movies and it was late enough that our room was ready.

I like the film tiles in the shower.

However, the wallpaper drives me nuts. It isn't bad at first glance, but when I was sitting on the toilet for a few minutes and this is all I could see...

It made me dizzy after awhile. Plus, I got those after images where I would see yellowish stars for a few minutes after I left the bathroom. Weird.

My sons were most fascinated with the light on the wall.

Why? Because the popcorn box seemed to disappear when the light was on.

They must have spent a good portion of the time we were in our room turning the light off and on just to see the popcorn disappear. I wonder why we even bothered to take them to the parks.

We decided to head to the Magic Kingdom to at least ride something. A quick bus ride later and we were heading down Main Street, USA.

Since it was late enough to not be overly swamped, we headed to Fantasyland.

We rode Peter Pan and then Pooh.

Why do I try to get a picture of us in the mirror in the "dream" room on Pooh?

It comes out dark and blurry. Every. Single. Time. And, yet, it seems I am convinced that if I just keep at it, eventually I will get a clear shot. The logical part of my brain accepts that it will never happen, but apparently that part of my brain doesn't control the picture taking impulses.

We bid farewell to Pooh.

We rode Snow White and then took a spin on the carousel.

Look how happy they are. This is what it is all about.

We were in danger of getting trapped in the park by the throngs waiting for the parade, so we headed back to our room for bedtime. I heaved a huge sigh of relief that we made it and had a week in front of us to relax and enjoy.

The CANCER SUCKS trip report

Last edited by RVGal; 07-16-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
bubba's mom
Proud Redhead
DIS Cast Member
The Tag Fairy knows you as more than just "Wife of Eric Roberts--XM Spy"

Here! ...and, 1st one too!

Bubba was the same way with the Popcorn light....what IS it about that thing?

Oddly enuf...I feel the same way about that wallpaper too!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Loved your last TR - can't wait to see where this one goes.

That stinks about the tire. We had to replace all 4 on DW's car right before our trip.

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
mtblujeans
DIS Veteran

You should get a 'gold Mickey' for your determination alone!

I love the pics....what's a WDW trip without pics???

Susan
Old 07-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
romymichelle21
Why should I sail with any of you? Four of you have tried to kill me in the past... one of you succeeded.

I love that you took a picture of your view from the toilet

= Me (Heidi) = DB (Will) = Both of us at DL! *Our adventures*
Old 07-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
tlinus
Proud Redhead
Johnny Depp sexy transcends all generations!!!!
we should have just bagged it

I am here too!!!! Every trip is an adventure. You should own your own travel Company - Adventures by Tricia!!!

Glad to see you started this one - can't wait for more. Well yes, I can, but not really
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
RVGal
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba's mom View Post
Here! ...and, 1st one too!

Bubba was the same way with the Popcorn light....what IS it about that thing?

Oddly enuf...I feel the same way about that wallpaper too!
You get a gold star for being first.

I'm glad to know it wasn't just my boys that were fascinated with the Popcorn light. I mean, it was kinda neat the first time, but I couldn't understand why it continued to be for days. "Look! It disappeared! No popcorn!" Yep. I see it. I saw it this morning. And yesterday. And the 50 times prior to that.

I'm also glad to know that I am not the only one disturbed by the wallpaper. It was like the Twilight Zone in the bathroom or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Loved your last TR - can't wait to see where this one goes.

That stinks about the tire. We had to replace all 4 on DW's car right before our trip.
FOUR tires? Ouch! That is a chunk of change to shell out just before a vacation.

Thanks for joining me on another journey. I don't think there was any drama on this one. Well, not once we were in Orlando anyway.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
RVGal
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtblujeans View Post
You should get a 'gold Mickey' for your determination alone!

I love the pics....what's a WDW trip without pics???

Susan
It was quite a challenge getting us down there this time, but the theme parks in Orlando are that proverbial carrot dangling at the end of a stick. I'll just keep pushing forward until I get there!

Glad you like the pics. I take a lot. Of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romymichelle21 View Post
I love that you took a picture of your view from the toilet
Well, it was so annoying! I don't think any description I could have come up with would have done it justice. If I had just said, "When I'm sitting on the toilet there was nothing but a field of various shaped stars to stare at. It made me dizzy." I don't think you would have truly grasped the vortex-like wallpaper.

Or maybe I'm just weird and take pictures of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinus View Post
I am here too!!!! Every trip is an adventure. You should own your own travel Company - Adventures by Tricia!!!

Glad to see you started this one - can't wait for more. Well yes, I can, but not really
I could start my own travel company, but would anyone use it? Book with me and you'll have an adventure. What kind of adventure, I haven't a clue...

I have day two's pictures uploaded. I'll try to get the text done today for the next installment.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
H20DogsNDisney
DIS Veteran

can't wait for more!

Hallie
Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
RVGal
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20DogsNDisney View Post
can't wait for more!
Thanks! I'm working on more now.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I'm definitely in for this one! How cute is that lamp! and even cuter are your boys

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

(in honor of the lights in the room....)

waiting for more.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
RVGal
Proud Redhead

Day 2 (since I refuse to count the first only-made-it-to-Macon day) - Friday, June 3, 2009

We woke up at our usual time and got everyone clean and dressed. That alone was a major accomplishment. I found myself spending the average morning chasing mostly naked boys around and trying to convince them to put clothes on, while Mom put on yet another layer of moisturizer at the bathroom mirror.

I don't think I mentioned yet, but we were in a Toy Story building on the third floor.

We used the elevator directly behind Woody's hat and our room was on the outside of the building facing the trees. That was nice. Not a terribly long walk and it was quiet in the room.

We headed to the food court for breakfast.

It wasn't too crowded yet, so we were in and out relatively quickly and off to wait for a bus. I had to take a picture of the new "celebration" flags.

We got lucky and a bus for DHS arrived in a few minutes. I had no idea when we booked that this was a Star Wars Weekend, but I found that out soon after. Because of that, we made sure we hit DHS first.

I took a picture of the new flags there too.

While we were waiting in line for the stroller rental, the Stormtroopers showed up.

They were so cool. I love the way they patrol the roof of the gates and look down on all of we guests so menacingly.

We headed into the park and Joshua started yelling, "Queen Amidala! Queen Amidala!"

I looked around for a picture or a poster, but to my surprise there was Queen Amidala herself. There was a short line to meet her, so we joined in.

The guy in front of me was wearing a full Anakin Skywalker costume. I'm okay with that. I can't understand why anyone would want to wear brown and black pleather in Florida in June, but if you don't die of heat stroke I say have at it. Whatever floats your boat. However, when it was this guy's turn with Amidala, he walked up to her, took her hand, dropped to one knee, declared his love and devotion for her, and then proceeded to cling to her for several minutes while acting out scenes from the movie.

MMMmmmm-kay.

Let me first say that I have no problem with fantasy role playing and all that. But, there is a fine line between having fun with a fantasy character and being a creepy stalker-like fan. This guy pole vaulted over that line and landed smack in weirdoville. It was very surreal.

Anyway, once the Anakin wannabe moved on it was our turn. Amidala squatted down so that she would put herself at the boys level. They seemed to miss the point of that and thought this was the position they were supposed to assume.

After the autograph, she stood up for posed pictures with the boys.

And Joshua decided to try and strike a cool dude pose.

I'm thinking that picture will be bribery material someday.

We walked to where the parade would take place, got a little snack and settled in to wait.

That lasted for about 10 minutes before the boys decided that it was "too hot and boring" to sit and wait. I wasn't going to force them to see the SWW parade if they didn't want to. I explained that this was the only opportunity we would have to see it and they still wanted to leave. Fine with me.

I have to take a break, but I'll be back with the rest of the day later.

Last edited by RVGal; 07-18-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
RVGal
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I'm definitely in for this one! How cute is that lamp! and even cuter are your boys
Thank you! I think my boys are pretty cute myself. *Most* of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven View Post
(in honor of the lights in the room....)

waiting for more.
I didn't even think to use the popcorn smiley! I think I had already hit my maximum 25 pics, but still...

Old 07-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
RVGal
Proud Redhead

I'm back.

We decided to ride Star Tours while most of the people in that area of the park were lined up waiting for the parade. We walked right on. After that we started walking around again until the skies opened up and rain poured down. Not a little afternoon shower, but a mid morning deluge. Ugh. We dived for cover at the closest ride, which happened to be the Great Movie Ride.

We were seated right behind the "driver" in the front of the car, so that was fun. I don't think I've ever been that close to the front before.

Because of our seats, I got a good shot of the Wicked Witch.

As we were walking around, I tried to get shots of the various SWW characters. I didn't have a lot of success, but I got a couple.

Eventually, we worked our way toward Toy Story Mania.

I honestly have no idea what was going on at the time we rode, but there was almost no line at all.

We were loaded into a car in less than 15 minutes. It was fabulous.

I was sharing a car with Daniel. He barely understands how to make the gun work.

Daniel was very excited to earn an armadillo. This is the first time he has ever scored more than 100. He was proud. He noticed I earned a beaver. He told anyone that would listen for the rest of the day that, "Daniel gots a armadillo. Mommy gots a beaver." That was a little awkward sometimes.

We had lunch at the ABC Commissary because it was convienient to where we were at the time that the boys and Mom started complaining they were hungry. I swore the last time I ate there that I wouldn't go back. Sigh. I am reaffiming my commitment to not eat there again. Bleech.

We saw Muppet Vision 3-D and decided that we were tiring out and were ready to call it a day. Well, Mom & I were tiring out and ready to call it a day. On our way out, Princess Leia Minnie was just coming out so we decided to get a picture with her.

You will notice that it is just Joshua. Daniel decided to turn shy for some reason. The photographer talked me into taking him up to meet her.

When we got back to the hotel, the boys still had energy to burn, so...

... it's off to the pool we go!

I let them tire themselves out, then we had dinner in the food court. We were in bed early and it felt good.

Last edited by RVGal; 07-18-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: