Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Jennifer in MI
DIS Veteran

We currently drive a 10 yo minivan. We drove it to FL in January and are planning to drive it again next January. We just get a tune up at the dealership right before we're supposed to leave. We also have a AAA membership. So, if it breaks down, we figure, we'll get it towed and then rent a car there and drive the rest of the way. We drive from MI for $200 round trip! It's totally worth it for our family.

I'd try to stay on property and get the dining plan if I were you! It's truly a vacation if you do that. That said, we're staying off property next Jan so we can afford a cruise! We got a one week rental for $460 in Windsor Hills. But, I will be doing all of our cooking that week and that won't truly be a vacation for me - until we get on our cruise that is!!

Jennifer in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
sueh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsmom76 View Post
Hi everyone!! I am a newbie here.

My family and I are starting to plan our Disney vacation. We are planning to go January 23 - 30, 2010.
Welcome to the boards. You will get ALOT of good information here.

I too will be at Disney the same week as you. I can't wait.
I am also hoping that they have another deal like they did last year. It was the 4/3 deal and you also got a gift certificate to spend in the park.

Have fun planning and have a great trip!
sueh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
starann
In having children, I have lost my mind, but found my soul

WE went thru AAA to get a 12 pass. van for our trip and paid a total of $900 for 10 days, unlimited miles. Certainly you could get away with somethign smaller for 4 of you (we had 7- 5 adults, 2 kids).

You may want to look at that vs airfare/renal car once you get there and see which will be cheaper. We drive from PA and are able to do it in 15 hrs.

Yuo could stay value, but it would put you in 1 room, you could also look into the Family suite in a Value.

Also, request the DVD planning guide. I did and now get PIN codes for discounts (this in not a certain thing, some get it, some don't)
Cody 12-19-03 and Shane 2-23-05
Casey 5-13-11
and last..........
Our little 'Souvenir' who arrived 6 weeks early, Josephine 4-24-14

You Brought WHAT Home From WDW?!?!?!?! A Setp 2013 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post49731870
starann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

OK, I just did a quick check of some prices and have a ballpark idea for you:

4 RT tickets from CLT to MCO on Jan 23 and Jan 30, 2010 - $205 each on United - total $820 www.farecast.com

parking at CLT airport - about $10 a day economy? - $80

transfers from MCO to Disney - free using Disney Magical Express

Lodging - value resort in value season (2009 rates) - 82 per night (drops to 70 per night if you have AAA and can get the discount) - 92.25 at Pop with tax (or 78.41 with AAA discount)- $646 or $549 with discount

Upgrade to a moderate resort - 149 per night - 20% AAA discount plus tax = $135 per night - $943 (I got CSR in May for 104 per night with a discount code, so you may get it cheaper)

Tickets - 3 adult 7-day MYW tickets at 229 each (Undercover Tourist) and one child 7-day MYW ticket at 194 (these will be slightly cheaper with the mousesavers link discount, but I can't post the price) - $881

Food - the wild card unless you do DDP (which requires you buy tickets from Disney instead of Undercover Tourist) - DDP will be about $150 per day for your family (based on 2009 rates) - plan on at least $100 per day for food if you are staying onsite without a car. You can spend $100 on a single character meal if you choose, but you can also eat mainly counter service and pack snacks, granola bars, instant oatmeal, cereal, etc. for your room. We almost always eat breakfast in our room. - $700 for planning purposes

Menus with prices can be found at www.allears.net - you can look through them and estimate what you might spend for food.

Grand total - $3030 for a week at a value (no DDP), $3424 for a moderate (assuming AAA discount but no other discount codes). When Disney releases codes, they are typically better than the AAA discount, but you can't always count on them.

This doesn't include incidentals - souveniers, tips, etc., and it assumes $100 per day for food. You can do better if you don't eat at Table Service meals (since you have three adults for dining purposes) and eat some meals in your room. Without a car, you are pretty limited for offsite choices. I'm using 2009 rates - I expect 2010 rates to be 5-10% higher for rooms, but that's just a guess.

This also assumes no Disney Visa points, frequent flyer miles, hotel points, etc.

To make staying offsite worthwhile (budget-wise, not comfort-wise), you would need to balance the $549 room cost and $700 food cost with the need to rent a car (probably at least $200).
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
Jennifer in MI
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
OK, I just did a quick check of some prices and have a ballpark idea for you:

4 RT tickets from CLT to MCO on Jan 23 and Jan 30, 2010 - $205 each on United - total $820 www.farecast.com

parking at CLT airport - about $10 a day economy? - $80

transfers from MCO to Disney - free using Disney Magical Express

Lodging - value resort in value season (2009 rates) - 82 per night (drops to 70 per night if you have AAA and can get the discount) - 92.25 at Pop with tax (or 78.41 with AAA discount)- $646 or $549 with discount

Upgrade to a moderate resort - 149 per night - 20% AAA discount plus tax = $135 per night - $943 (I got CSR in May for 104 per night with a discount code, so you may get it cheaper)

Tickets - 3 adult 7-day MYW tickets at 229 each (Undercover Tourist) and one child 7-day MYW ticket at 194 (these will be slightly cheaper with the mousesavers link discount, but I can't post the price) - $881

Food - the wild card unless you do DDP (which requires you buy tickets from Disney instead of Undercover Tourist) - DDP will be about $150 per day for your family (based on 2009 rates) - plan on at least $100 per day for food if you are staying onsite without a car. You can spend $100 on a single character meal if you choose, but you can also eat mainly counter service and pack snacks, granola bars, instant oatmeal, cereal, etc. for your room. We almost always eat breakfast in our room. - $700 for planning purposes

Menus with prices can be found at www.allears.net - you can look through them and estimate what you might spend for food.

Grand total - $3030 for a week at a value (no DDP), $3424 for a moderate (assuming AAA discount but no other discount codes). When Disney releases codes, they are typically better than the AAA discount, but you can't always count on them.

This doesn't include incidentals - souveniers, tips, etc., and it assumes $100 per day for food. You can do better if you don't eat at Table Service meals (since you have three adults for dining purposes) and eat some meals in your room. Without a car, you are pretty limited for offsite choices. I'm using 2009 rates - I expect 2010 rates to be 5-10% higher for rooms, but that's just a guess.

This also assumes no Disney Visa points, frequent flyer miles, hotel points, etc.

To make staying offsite worthwhile (budget-wise, not comfort-wise), you would need to balance the $549 room cost and $700 food cost with the need to rent a car (probably at least $200).
Wow! Will you please plan my trips for me??? LOL

Jennifer in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in MI View Post
Wow! Will you please plan my trips for me??? LOL
Sure! As long as I can come along!
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #22
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

I just priced out a trip for my brother.

On the Walt Disney World Website there is an ad that says save 35% I think it shows Dumbo.

click that and it will give you the rate with 35% off. You could go through a travel agent too. but the cost for 7 nighst at the CBR or CSR (or all the moderates) was $1600-- (which includes lodging and tickets) He has 3 in his family so it would be $250 more for the extra park ticket for your family. Disney also the free dining promotion where you would get free dining which would save you $130 per night on meal alone. (which is not included with the 35% off deal)

Also, if you fly Wednesday to Wednesday its cheaper than Sat to Sat or Sun/Sun. I got him Airfare for $166 pp RT from Boston on Delta. Delta has a lot of non-stops --I don't know where you live and whether there are deals on airfare from your airport.

A few things that are nice about staying on Disney property:

Extra magic hours at all the parks.
you don't have to park $13 a day to park
You don't have to rent a car
You have free transportation to and from Orlando Airport
The Disney magic stays with you through your stay.
You get free Transportation to and from the parks.

If you stay in a value or moderate they have a food court and refillable mug stations which would save you on food. Food courts are cheap but you can get a decent meal for a good price. The moderates are themed a little nicer than the values, and they have a slide at the pools.

All and all with above prices it will cost you apprx $1900 for tickets and lodging. $600-800 for airfare, $600 for food for the 7 days =$3,300 at the high end. You can justify some of the expenses by looking at it like this --

How much do you spend a week on gas?
how much do you spend a week on groceries?
How much do you spend a week on going out to eat? etc etc. By doing this you can funnel some of the money you Won't be spending at home to add to what you can spend at Disney.

good luck.!!

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #23
kcsmom76
Earning My Ears

WOW StitchandPooh'sMom!!! You are good!!! Thanks alot! (((hugs)))

Planning 1st Disney Trip for my dd. Planning on going January 23 - 30, 2010!!!
kcsmom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
kcsmom76
Earning My Ears

Thanks to you also, Tink-n-Belle!!

Planning 1st Disney Trip for my dd. Planning on going January 23 - 30, 2010!!!
kcsmom76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #25
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Check out Windsorhillsrent.com You can send an inquiry to all the participating owners and see who gives you the best rates. WH is amazing, close to the parks, and if cost is your primary consideration you can't beat offsite. I found a 2 bedroom condo for $499 during your timeframe and that's without hardly looking- there may be better deals out there.

It's not the cheapest at WH but we stayed at 5mins2disney.com and it was amazing!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #26
Debbie Jean
DIS Veteran

As an example,I found this 4 Bd/3 BA villa with pool listed on vrbo http://www.vrbo.com/244775 for $99 a night during January... doesn't say whether this includes taxes and fees. Keep in mind you will be there during winter months so you will probably have to pay extra to heat the pool and you would definitely need a car.

We have stayed at Cypress Pointe villas just outside DTD and had a lovely 3 Bd/3 Ba unit for about the same price... that was all inclusive and there was a wonderful heated pool... close to stores, restaurants, etc. but very close to the parks. I booked through www.hotelkingdom.com which is another site you might check for off property bookings.

The puzzle you will need to solve first is whether to stay on property or off property. It isn't always simple... accomodations are cheaper and more roomy off property, accommodations on Disney property can be more expensive but include transportation, EMH, ME, theming etc.

When all is said and done, we have done both and enjoyed both, but it is, I think a different experience staying on or off property. Both can be expensive, or both can be economical. When you decide which you want, the good folks here on the DIS can give you a bazillion ways to get your budget in shape so the even your DH will be pleased!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #27
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Charlotte to Orlando is an easy eight-hour drive. I-77, to I-95 to I-4 -- then follow the signs to WDW! Gas gets cheaper as you go south until you get to Florida -- fill up before the state line. When you factor in getting to the airport early, the flight, getting luggage, etc., you don't save much time flying. Besides price, the biggest advantage is that you can take water, soft drinks, snacks, quick breakfasts, etc.

If your vehicles are in good repair, why not drive one of them? We've made this trip 11 times, and over half of them were in vans with more than 100,000 miles on them. If my DH's salary had not been drastically cut this spring, I would be doing it again (167,000 miles this time) in two weeks when we have two birthdays on the same day. (Even with decent reserves and savings, though, I think that would be financially irresponsible, so we're going where we have free lodging.)

If I were planning this trip and needed to economize, which we always do, I would drive my own vehicle, pack snacks and easy breakfasts, and stay at a value. My family would much rather have a bigger food budget at Disney than fly. Just my two cents.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #28
Tweevil
Twin Evils....

I didn't catch when you were thinking about going but here is my quote (copy and paste below)

ROOM #1

Check-in: Saturday, October 3, 2009

Check-out: Thursday, October 8, 2009
5 nights/ 6 days
1 Adult, 3 Juniors, ages 17, 14 & 10

Disney's Pop Century Resort
1 Standard Room
2 Double Beds

All Rooms are Non-Smoking
Magic Your Way 5-Day Base Theme Park Tickets
NO Hopping

NO Water Parks, Fun & More
Tickets expire 14 days after first use
Disney’s FREE Basic Dining Plan Included
Total Price: $1517.58 tax included

I am doing a rental from Enterprise which gives you unlimited mileage and I believe you can get a car for this time frame for arount $500.00. I am not sure how much gas is in your area but mine was about $200 round trip.

When I went in the spring we packed food and man was it overkill. There was so much on the dining plan that we had surplus food to snack on. I think total I spent out of pocket was maybe $200 for souvies and other stuff.

I know this is a bit over the $2000 but it is onsite, includes food, gives you a car so you can kick around town if you want to and is a package. I want to be on vacation too so I go with the onsite packages so I can relax too.

Hope this helps and keep us updated with what you find out.
Have a GREAT time!

**Edited: I just saw you wanted to go in January 2009 - I will keep my fingers crossed that they do Free dining - it really is nice on the budget**

Last edited by Tweevil; 06-01-2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Just noticed the dates of Travel....
Tweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 AM   #29
WDWBoundAgain
Can't Wait To Be Disney Bound Again!!!

I am in the Charlotte,NC area too. We have traveled to Disney World by plan, train and automobile. We love to fly but I think about how much I save when we drive ourselves. Our trip down by train was different and now that I know what to expect I would do it again. Traveling by Amtrak was always something I wanted to try. To travel by Amtrak will be about $300 for all 4 of you round trip. You can get a rental car at the station in Orlando too. This could save you money but keep in mind that the train takes pretty much as long as it does to drive. The other thing is the closet train that runs all the way to Orlando is in Columbia. Since you seem to be leaning towards a condo so you can have your own room I would suggest Bonnet Creek. I have used eBay several times and it is possible to get a 2 bedroom during your time around $600 for the week. Drawback to that is you pretty much have to wait 60 days prior to find openings on eBay. Just keep searching and you will find in and outs on ways to cut the cost. In my opinion Disney can be affordable.

WDWBoundAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #30
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsmom76 View Post
Thanks again everyone!!

Dh and my cars are 10 and 12 years old. We were thinking they wouldn't be good to drive down. So we were looking at renting a van anyway. That is WAYYY more than I want to spend too with the limited miles and payment of gas. So we have a dilemma with getting there.
Why not replace the cars (or at least one of them) with something more reliable? Seriously, you are taking about twenty hours worth of freeway miles - if your cars are that close to end of life you are going to need to replace them very soon - vacation or no vacation. I put twenty hours on my cars in a little over a week. And now is a great time to buy a car, even a used car, as dealers try to keep their inventory low.

ETA: If you do rent a car, rent it at home, drive down - and rent an economy car. I don't think you'll find a van that is not going to send your budget our of control. You can't fly without either staying onsite or renting a car - and the combination of fly/onsite or fly/rent a car is going to send your budget out of control. If I were going to try and do four people for a week, I'd definitely drive, I'd get a condo off skyauction, I'd buy groceries when I got to the condo, I'd plan to eat most meals out of my condo kitchen. You'll have almost half your budget tied up in tickets.

Last edited by crisi; 06-01-2009 at 07:54 AM.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: