Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Disneycrazymom
DIS Veteran

Before you leave for your trip - turn off your water a PSA

I have been around for years and travel a lot. I have never experienced what happened to us last weekend. We were away for 3 days - just 36 hours- and arrived home to a broken pipe and water EVERYWHERE in my house on Monday. Even today 6 days later we are still drying with huge fans and humidifiers. All my hardwood - gone. All the basement walls - gone. Airconditioner/ heater - gone. Holes in my drywall to help it dry. Worries about mold! Bathrooms gutted to the studs.

I am not looking for sympaty (altough I'll take prayers) but to help get the word out to turn off the main water valve when you travel. Had we taken 5 minutes to go downstairs and turn off the water we would be cleaning up a puddle in the bathroom and replacing a $5 pipe.

So learn for what we are going through and turn off your water at the main valve before you leave! It matters!

Disneycrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Tiffany_PartyOf7
Missing My Mouse

AGHH!!! That really stinks!!! Thanks for the reminder. I've never even thought to turn off the main water for a 3 day trip LOL... definitely will be now. LOL
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Wow....we always turn the water off to the washing machine but had never thought about the main.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Good reminder.....

We also, turn down the hot water tank to vacation setting, turn off air/furnace before we leave.
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry hugs and prayers. We usually shut ours off. I always thought my DH was paranoid...guess not.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
The Hendies
DIS Veteran

Prayers are easy ... consider it done! Our friends had the same type of damage when their Automatic Ice Cube machine line broke - tiny hose, but water flowed until their well went dry! Water will be off for our future vacations! God Bless!

Next trip .... 10/10/14 for my birthday!

DH Me

The Hendies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I know you said you weren't asking for sympathy but I certainly sympathize for you. That totally stinks. We are fortunate to have my mother live next door so she comes over, does a walk through of the house, checks our mail and feeds our puppy. I've housesat before too and I always do a walk through because I have heard these type of horror stories before.

Hope you get everything repaired soon (and without a huge financial burden).

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneycrazymom View Post
I have been around for years and travel a lot. I have never experienced what happened to us last weekend. We were away for 3 days - just 36 hours- and arrived home to a broken pipe and water EVERYWHERE in my house on Monday. Even today 6 days later we are still drying with huge fans and humidifiers. All my hardwood - gone. All the basement walls - gone. Airconditioner/ heater - gone. Holes in my drywall to help it dry. Worries about mold! Bathrooms gutted to the studs.

I am not looking for sympaty (altough I'll take prayers) but to help get the word out to turn off the main water valve when you travel. Had we taken 5 minutes to go downstairs and turn off the water we would be cleaning up a puddle in the bathroom and replacing a $5 pipe.

So learn for what we are going through and turn off your water at the main valve before you leave! It matters!
Oh my Gosh, I am so sorry to hear that you returned home to something like that. I will say a little prayer for you.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Burst washing machine hoses (sometimes the metal collar at the end is what rusts and breaks) rank high on the reasons for homeowner insurance claims.

I would not expect a pipe to break, though.

Now turning off the water and gas before you evacuate for a storm makes sense since otherwise you will be billed for water or gas usage if the house including the pipes get damaged.

If you do turn off the water at the main valve, also turn off the water heater. There are obscure circumstances that can cause the tank to be siphoned empty with no water pressure and then the heater will be damaged when the heat comes on or worse yet you have a fire.

Forced hot water furnaces need periodic checking during winter. If the furnace fails, its components freeze up and it is of course impossible to drain it and also have it run.

Home handyman hints: http://www.cockam.com/home.htm
Old 05-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
tgrundy
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear about your troubles. Thanks for the tip, I was contemplating that since we are leaving in 17 days, now it will be on my to do list.

tgrundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
Tink-n-Belle
DIS Veteran

That happened to one of my friends. $90k in damages. Ouch.

Also, make sure to close your freezer. I left the freezer open just a hair (didn't shut it all the way)and when we got back in April, everything was melted and iced up- since it was just opened a hair. (it never sealed tight to close)

Thanks for the advice!!!!! We always do this!!

BWV 12,11,10,09,08,07, 06(2) *BLT 13,12,11,10 *BCV 13,12,06 *AKV 08*VB 06,08 & 09*Cont 02 *Poly 86 *Grand Floridian 88 *All Stars 94 & 04 *Club villas 84,85,87,90,92 & 99 *offsite 83,81,80,76 &73
Tink-n-Belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: