Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #571
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

A Quickie Non-TR Update

So, I promised some backstory on my absence from the DIS and here you have it. After this I'll post some pics and comments/additions to some of what TK has already posted, including my morning walks, and then it's onward, upward and forward with the trip! I can't believe it was almost a year ago...

So this past year has been...well...challenging for me in many, many ways. Wonderful too, but challenging. Shortly after this trip with my long, lost sis, I found out that my job at work would be changing - for the better. I was definitely excited to have the opportunity to basically be able to 'design' my position and was looking forward to having it instituted in the summer...oh? a delay?...ok, maybe the fall...that's inconvenient?...well, the first of the new year makes sense, right?...no?...we need to do some revisions? Harumph. Suffice it to say we're coming up on the 1-year anniversary of the start of my job change and while yes, my job has changed - I've taken on more responsibility and worked a heck of a lot of hours - the title, the move to salary and all the other good stuff about the change hasn't happened.

Now, let me just say that I know I'm incredibly lucky to have, not just a job, but a well-paying, secure job in the current economy and I thank God everyday for it. I know all too well how tough it is right now. Of 10 of our closest friends, more than half are unemployed. My mom, who was doing paralegal work, has an advanced degree, etc. has been laid off 3 times in almost as many years. In this last go-round it took her 7 months to find something after sending out almost 500 resumes and she ultimately took a $26K cut in pay.

My frustration arises not from my pay, etc. just from the promise of this promotion and having it put off while other people's pre-existing jobs are put on all the front burners. This isn't the "normal" way things are handled in our small department and, having been there for 6 years, is certainly not what I'm used to. Fingers are crossed that this piece of stress will be handled on or around my review in May.

And as if work wasn't stressful enough, I have a 3-hour roundtrip commute each day. Spending 15 hours of your life in transit takes its toll.

On top of the work stress, I was poked, prodded, needled, scanned, x-rayed and generally tested for many medical reasons this year, including for some seriously scary conditions, like leukemia and lymphoma. It wasn't until early February of this year that I was given as clean of a bill of health as I'm going to get (I have a pre-existing, currently incurable liver condition). I was heading to some sort of doctor at least once a month and am SO happy to have walked away with a good diagnosis and to not have to (hopefully) walk into another exam room until September of this year.

The two biggest stressors, however, happened in early fall of last year and involved two of the biggest joys of my life:

My boyfriend (from our Universal trip last April):

and my kitties (technically only one kitty - the little black and white devil who looks soooo innocent and sleepy in this pic):

One Saturday in early September, my boyfriend came home from the gym rubbing his arm. He works out 5 days a week and isn't one to complain, so I knew it must be bothering him. However, he simply 'rested' it and didn't think anything of it. The next day he went to play football with some friends and about halfway into the game was involved in a play where a 300 lb. man landed on his arm. Yes. THAT arm. We left shortly after to attend his grandmother's 90th birthday party and quickly realized something wasn't quite right. His arm was swollen, blue from bicep to wrist and, well, mushy. After a trip to his orthpaedist a couple of days later, we found out that he'd torn his bicep tendon off the bone and it would require surgery to repair.

While we were waiting for surgery to be scheduled, Life saw fit to treat us with another...well, it really felt like a tragedy at the time. The Friday after his injury, in the wee hours of the morning, the BF and I were woken up by the sound of something clattering to the floor and a cat scrambling downstairs. There were no yowls or howls and so we figured on the normal mischief and fell back to sleep. When I woke up, however, I found a very different scene. Our kitty Dory was cowered under our dining room table, with little spots of blood in the white fur of her back, right leg. I don't handle situations like this well and immediately screamed for the man and broke down into tears. At first we couldn't coax her out but finally he got her out and commenced calming her down so he could check her out. In the meantime, I hunted out what had fallen to the floor.

And was promptly HORRIFIED.

My boyfriend hunts with his family (I'm NOT a fan of this and he knows it but it isn't a dealbreaker for me) and had been cleaning up one of his hunting knives the day before. It was on a table but unsheathed. Rather it had been on the table. It has a small lanyard on the butt end and the cat had pulled it down and when it hit the floored and ricocheted, it had caught her back leg.

Ok, it's making me ill to relive this, so let me just finish up.

After getting her to her regular vet, we were advised they couldn't treat her as her Achilles tendon had been sliced through and it would need to be surgically reattached.

Ironically the EXACT SAME injury/procedure that my BF was going through (though in her 'leg' and not her 'arm').

We took her to an emergency vet that happened to have a wonderful orthopaedic surgeon on staff. He completed the surgery successfully and gave us a good outlook for the future - she likely wouldn't lose the use of that leg.

I cannot tell you how much I cried in that 24 hour period. But the fun was just beginning...

We brought her home two days later with a big cast on her leg. She was going to have to be confined...for the next THREE MONTHS while it healed. She would progress from a full, hard, leg cast to a half cast to a wrap and would need to learn to walk with that leg again.

Here are some pictures from the day we brought her home:

Sitting with her grammy. It was a really emotional time, but this remains one of my favorite pictures. It says so much about her personality. And yes, her cast signed.

The area where her IV was. We called this her bracelet.

We were so surprised at how adaptable she was and although we were warned that it would likely take her weeks to start using her leg, rather than dragging it behind her, she was up and walking 36 hours after surgery. Apparently McDonalds is a universal healer:

Although this was her normal MO:

Shortly after she was home and settled (and confined, all night and whenever one of us wasn't home, to an extra large dog crate) BF went in for surgery. It went well, but at his first follow-up visit we received icky news - he was being put into a shoulder to wrist cast "just in case" for 4 weeks. He was devastated. I was pretty sure that between that (he's really active and isn't one to ask for help) and caring for the cat (4 oral meds a day, vet visits every two weeks) I was going to need to be committed for Christmas.

Fast forward three months (and $2,200 in vet bills later) and both of my babies were cast-less and using their limbs. It was the perfect holiday gift. I was ready to have at least some semblance of normal back.

Needless to say my time was short most of the fall and early winter and I was barely keeping it together most days. As much as I think the DIS might've provided some relief, especially this TR, I simply didn't have anything left to give.

I'm incredibly thankful for our good fortune in light of some pretty grave injuries (many times the tendon in both BF and Dory's cases can't be reattached or is done so unsuccessfully) and am FINALLY settling back into the routine. There are two things that I realized I was missing - the DIS and all the good friends I've made her and planning a Disney trip. Well, now I'm back to both. I'm here to help finish out this report and to reconnect with some of my favorite people and have not one, but TWO possible trips to plan for and write about (and finish this time, I promise!!!). The first PTR has begun (link in my siggie) and I'm so excited to be writing on this report again.

I thank you all so much for your 'welcome back's' and well wishes and I appreciate your patience. They really warm my heart. I need to pull some pictures together and go through my notes again (how quickly a year passes) and then I promise to have a trip-related update posted. Keep your eyes peeled this week.

Last edited by Tinkerbellarella; 04-11-2010 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Edited to correct Photobucket links. Sorry guys!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #572
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, Tink! What a doozie of a year! Your perseverance is incredible! I probably wouldn't have made it through any of that with my sanity intact!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #573
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
Um. Hi all.

We missed you.

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Can we go back now? I'll take it, storm clouds and all.
What the h were we thinking planning an overnight in New England? I want to go to Disney in May!

Quote:
But I'm back.
Have a flower.

I missed your flowers. They're so cheerful.

Last edited by TarzansKat; 04-11-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #574
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Oh, Tink! What a doozie of a year! Your perseverance is incredible! I probably wouldn't have made it through any of that with my sanity intact!
It was NOT easy, nor was it pretty. I've never felt so helpless. But with a TON of help from my mom with the cat and a lot of support from my friends and family, we did it. And I'm happy to say I think me and the BF are stronger for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post

We missed you.

Just sayin'.
Wait, do I get one of these every time I come back from a hiatus? Maybe I should go on hiatus more often.

Quote:
What the h were we thinking planning an overnight in Boston?
I think the thought process went something along the lines of you are incubating Squirt and the vet ate my bank account...how else can we have a divalicious girls weekend with tea? Because there now must always be tea.

Quote:
I want to go to Disney in May!
From your lips to Gods ears, my friend. Maybe next May. Can you leave Squirt when he's 10 mos. old? Or, perhaps if this whole running things works out as planned we can head down together for the Wine and Dine Run in October.

F&WF.
MNSSHP.
(Running.)
Tink and Kat's and BF's birthdays.

Dude. We might singlehandedly incapacitate the Mouse.

Last edited by Tinkerbellarella; 04-11-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: My brain moves faster than my fingers, or is it the other way around?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #575
TarzansKat

Quote:
Wait, do I get one of these every time I come back from a hiatus? Maybe I should go on hiatus more often.
No.

Don't make me pull out a Mad Hatter on you.

Quote:
I think the thought process went something along the lines of you are incubating Squirt and the vet ate my bank account...how else can we have a divalicious girls weekend with tea?
Oh, that.

Ri-ight.

Still want to go.

Quote:
Because there now must always be tea.
The gospel according to Tink. Doesn't that sound so prophetic? Give me an AMEN!

Quote:
From your lips to Gods ears, my friend. Maybe next May. Can you leave Squirt when he's 10 mos. old?
Most likely, no. It depends on how well he does nursing, and whether or not I'm able to nurse or have to pump exclusively like last time. For those of you who feel this is TMI, cover your eyes.

Quote:
Or, perhaps if this whole running things works out as planned we can head down together for the Wine and Dine Run in October.

F&WF.
MNSSHP.
(Running.)
Tink and Kat's and BF's birthdays.

Dude. We might singlehandedly incapacitate the Mouse.
Which October are we talking about? October of this or next year?

And yes. All of those combinations would be scary. And I love how running is in parantheses. LOL One year, you and are going for our birthdays. They're only five days apart, somehow we must be able to manage it.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #576
Tinkerbellarella

Quote:
Don't make me pull out a Mad Hatter on you.
When that time comes, I shall futterwacken...vigorously.

Quote:
The gospel according to Tink. Doesn't that sound so prophetic? Give me an AMEN!
Amen and Hallelujah. And how appropriate as I just got back from Mass. Not to steal all of Christopher Moore's thunder, but I should totally write a book and call it that.

Quote:
Which October are we talking about? October of this or next year?
October 2011

Quote:
And I love how running is in parantheses. LOL
Well, if I'm the only one running, it's not fair to include it for the whole group.

And you know how we would make it there for both our birthdays (and an honorary birthday for the man)?

Answer:

10/8/11-10/15/11

An 8 day trip. With dining. And MNSSHP. And birthday pins all around.

Just sayin...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #577
TarzansKat

Quote:
When that time comes, I shall futterwacken...vigorously.
I want the futterwacken reserved for when we finish a half marathon together. Deal? Because I would pay money to see you do that. Or at least supply your Italian margarita.

Quote:
Amen and Hallelujah. And how appropriate as I just got back from Mass. Not to steal all of Christopher Moore's thunder, but I should totally write a book and call it that.
HA!

Quote:
October 2011
This is actually when I'm thinking of going with my boys again. Either Sept or Oct of 2011.

Quote:
Well, if I'm the only one running, it's not fair to include it for the whole group.
Well, when I start to exercise after Squirt is born, it's possible I may join you in this endeavor.

Quote:
And you know how we would make it there for both our birthdays (and an honorary birthday for the man)?

Answer:

10/8/11-10/15/11

An 8 day trip. With dining. And MNSSHP. And birthday pins all around.

Just sayin...
Oooo...eight days, you temptress. Sadly, the only way I can take time off that week would be if I quit. My supervisor always goes away the week of Columbus Day. It's a sad curse. I so wanted to be in Disney on my 30th birthday, at an MNSSHP, but it wasn't in the cards because of that. Ah well.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #578
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Tink, what a rough year! Hopefully this year will be much easier on all of you. You definitely deserve it after that.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 04-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #579
Pollito916
Some day my Prince will come and I'll live in the castle...
I do NOT have a Chicaaahgo accent!

Oh Tink, what a rough year you've had! I can totally understand why you wouldn't be up to dis-ing and am glad you are back. Things can only get better, right? Looking forward to finishing this TR and your new PTR!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #580
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Wow, that was a lot to go through - totally understand not getting back to this! Glad everyone in the household is ok!!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #581
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Injuries throw me into full panic mode too, so I CAN relate to this!!! Glad you're feeling like you're on the rebound now, and are finding some sense of relief and normalcy now.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #582
TarzansKat

Hey, guys. I've hesitated posting this because of how private we are, but I'm not going to be around as much. My mom is currently in the cardiac ICU of our local hospital. I don't want to go into great detail about what happened, because she's very private as well, but they're hoping to bring her out of sedation today to see how she responds. Please keep us in your thoughts.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #583
maroo
DIS Veteran

Praying for you guys, TK.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #585
pooh'smate
My ticker is actually a day off

Prayers going up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: