Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Blackbeard
Earning My Ears

Highlights From Our July 2010 Trip

Highlights from July 2010 Trip

Disney’s Beach Club Resort
Thanks to the 40% room discount offer this spring, we were able to stay at a deluxe resort for the first time. I could not have been more pleased with the Beach Club Resort. Thanks to “The Dis” boards I knew that only some standard rooms had full balconies which I requested at check in. Our request was granted but we needed to wait for the room to be ready. I use the term “wait” loosely because after walking over to Epcot for lunch in France and then back for Stormalong Bay for some swimming and relaxing, the room was ready before we were. Disney magic was there to greet us when we got to our room. My 14 year old daughter had recently succumbed to Beatlemania. We walked out onto the balcony and could hear the song “From Me To You” as plain as day. It turns out our room is located on the side of the resort closest to England and thus were treated to 5 performances by “The British Invasion” everyday. We could also catch most of Illuminations from the balcony. Not most hotels definition of a “standard view” room! I was also impressed by the “cruise-like” activity schedule. Bingo, water volleyball, campfire sing-alongs and movies on the beach to name just a few. Add in the proximity to Epcot, Disney Studios and The Boardwalk Resort and we quickly realized we have found a new favorite resort!

Bay Lake Adventures…
After breakfast in the Wilderness Lodge, one of my son’s “bucket list” requests was to rent a sea racer. Once again The Dis board came through and I knew that the best place to do this was on Bay Lake. After the initial cautiousness, my family and I were flying around the lake getting unbelievable views of the Magic Kingdom, the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian Resorts and circling the old Discovery Island, which is filled with every bird imaginable (even a bald eagle).

The Music!
Part of the Disney magic to me has always been the music you hear anywhere you go on the property. The classic songs from the rides and their movies as well as the live music performed in numerous locations. We were entertained last week in the span of an hour strolling through Epcot by The Voices of Liberty, Bon Jovi tribute band Slippery When Wet, The British Invasion in England and Off Kilter in Canada. Other favorites are the dueling pianists at Jellyrolls, the Dixieland Band at the Grand Floridian, and the musicians that perform at the Biergarten in the German Pavilion at Epcot. Speaking of classic Disney songs, if you have not seen the movie “the boys” yet, see it before your next trip to WDW. It is about the songwriting team of Richard and Robert Sherman. The songs they wrote for Mary Poppins would be the pinnacle of other songwriter’s careers but for these two, it was just a part of an amazing and prolific relationship with Walt Disney among others. I found myself constantly pointing out to my family which songs we were hearing were written by the Sherman Brothers. They were getting sick of me saying it.

Speaking of Jellyrolls…
This place has become a must-do for my wife and I and it never disappoints. The very talented piano players put on quite a show. I wish there was bar like this where we live, or maybe not because I would become an alcoholic. It’s the only place we ever go that I have trouble tearing myself away even after 3 or 4 hours. For those of you who were there last Saturday night, I was the guy who requested “Hey Jude” and wrote my request in a fancy font that the performers taped to the side of the tip jar for “inspiration” and had a good time teasing me about it.

Epcot Dining…
Our kids are older now and we spent a lot of time touring the World Showcase at Epcot. Two of the best meals during the trip were Le Cellier and Biergarten. I’ve read everything from rants to raves on The Dis board about Le Cellier in the Canada Pavilion and you can put me squarely in the rave category. I found it very quaint, the service was excellent (thank you Sean), and I thought the food was exceptional, probably the best meal of the trip. Cheese Soup, Prime Rib Sandwich, Filet Mignon, Macaroni and Cheese, Tomato Stack, Chocolate Moose…all were superb! I also enjoyed Biergarten in the German Pavilion. The German Village theming was enchanting and the entertainment added to the charm. A lot of experimenting was done at the buffet and my pickiest eater found she had plenty to choose from. I successfully downed a liter of beer and our waitress was appreciative of my lame attempts to speak the language. I also enjoy sitting with another family and sharing the experience. I know there’s a chance that you will be seated with a group that may detract from the experience but Disney Magic usually intervenes and prevents that from happening. Which reminds me…

The Love You Make is Equal to the Love You Take…
The truly unique aspect of a vacation to Disney World is the interaction of the people, both cast members and guests. It is such a refreshing change from everyday life and now that the kids are older, I am able to slow down and enjoy the magic, and hopefully add to it! My impression is that some people rely too much on the cast members to make their vacation magical. I realized that the interaction between the guests themselves is also a big part of the magic and when all of that good karma starts floating around, wonderful things begin to happen. The “paying it forward” mentality is actually at work here and it is a wonder to behold. I always try to make sure that if I am not going to use a fastpass, I find someone who will. Just doing little things like giving up a seat on a bus or answering a question is the secret to opening yourself up to receive the magic. By the way I would like to thank the nice couple for the stack of instant fastpasses they gave me just for offering them my seat on the bus. I did my best to return the favor to other guests that I met.

Stop and Smell the Roses…
Another great part of Disney World is that you never know what will turn out to be a highlight of your trip. It is rarely Space Mountain or Expedition Everest but something unplanned that just happens. Entering the Magic Kingdom on the last day of our trip, we were standing by the train station when the horse and trolley pulled up with a barbershop quartet on the back. Very few people take advantage of this and in fact we were the only people to climb aboard. My daughter is also a big fan of “The Music Man” which I requested and quartet agreed to sing if I sang it with them. My 5 minutes of fame may well turn out to be riding down Main Street, waving to the guests and singing “Lida Rose” with a barbershop quartet. If it is, I’m OK with that.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

Great trip report!

Do you have any photos of BCR?
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Blackbeard
Earning My Ears

Thanks...No pictures yet...we have a lot of photopass pictures that I need to check out.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Disney_Jill
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had an awesome time!! I love your attitude, you are so right.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
airforcemomof2
Mouseketeer

How was the weather? How did you deal with the heat?

Cathy
Next trip: Halloween 2014! AoA 10 days!
Christmas at Disney!! 19 - 27 Dec 12 @ POP
FW cabins Aug 25 - Sep 2, 2010!
11 WONDERful nights on the Wonder 2006
Mother/daughter Epcot trip 2003, First family trip 2002
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Blackbeard
Earning My Ears

Long walks in the sun could be tough but the shade really wasn't that bad. We are from Nj and been dealing with a heat wave recently so I'm sure that helped us adjust to the Florida sun.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Blackbeard
Earning My Ears

These trip reports are so therapeutic...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: