Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
MotherofLandon
Mouseketeer

Disney purchased Busch Gardens

A customer of mine who is a manager at Busch Gardens Williamsburg told me today that Disney purchased both Busch Gardens Parks. I'm not sure how much truth their is to this however both parks were for sale and disney had said in the past they wanted to build a colonial themed park in the Williamsburg, VA area. Aparently they also purchased 250 acres around the park. He said they plan to begin restructuring the parks and rebuilding over the next 2 years. Honestly I would be a little sad to see Busch Gardens, the theme park I have grown up with, go... but having a disney park 30 mins away would be pretty nice.

Disney Bucket List
(X)Pop, ( )AoA, (X)COR, (X)CBR, (2014)POLY, (X)BC, ( )AKL, ( )WL, ( )CR, ( )GF

MotherofLandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

That's a heavy rumor, isn't it??
Yet I somehow doubt it. You will shortly be hearing from the "experts" in rumors on Disboards...........stand by........................
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
MotherofLandon
Mouseketeer

Haha, Thanks for the heads up...

Disney Bucket List
(X)Pop, ( )AoA, (X)COR, (X)CBR, (2014)POLY, (X)BC, ( )AKL, ( )WL, ( )CR, ( )GF

MotherofLandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Padrepride
The Ultimate Padre Fan

I'm still pushing for a Disney's America. I would welcome the idea of Disney buying some Busch Gardens parks. Sadly, we probably need a more credible source than your friend (no offense) to get our hopes up.
Padrepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherofLandon View Post
A customer of mine who is a manager at Busch Gardens Williamsburg told me today that Disney purchased both Busch Gardens Parks. I'm not sure how much truth their is to this however both parks were for sale and disney had said in the past they wanted to build a colonial themed park in the Williamsburg, VA area. Aparently they also purchased 250 acres around the park. He said they plan to begin restructuring the parks and rebuilding over the next 2 years. Honestly I would be a little sad to see Busch Gardens, the theme park I have grown up with, go... but having a disney park 30 mins away would be pretty nice.
Nothing on any news sites. If this was a done deal, I think it would have to be made public... I'm no expert on SEC disclosure rules, but one public traded company selling something that big to another seems like it would have to be disclosed.

My bet is Inbev will try to sell the unit as a whole... but just a guess.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
....My bet is Inbev will try to sell the unit as a whole... but just a guess.
My bet is they will sell it and whatever way they can to make the most profit.

As far as this rumor goes I'm assuming the friend is a Disney CM or a bus driver! I don't believe there is any way in the world Disney shelled out the money to buy both Parks. The one in Williamsburg makes some sense, the one in Tampa makes no sense. The only possible way Tampa could make any sense is if they moved the ships to that port and they just signed a major deal to keep them where they are.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #7
wishdisney
a true WDW fan.

well if they buy those two parks they might as well buy sea world. its the same company. hmm...
wishdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
daber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
I'm no expert on SEC disclosure rules, but one public traded company selling something that big to another seems like it would have to be disclosed.

My bet is Inbev will try to sell the unit as a whole... but just a guess.
Since Inbev is a European company, I don't believe the SEC has any jurisdiction over what they do or don't do. In the grand scheme of all things Disney, I'm not sure if buying two parks would be "big" enough, but I'm sure they would do it just for the PR and to keep their name in the public eye.

I'm not buying the rumor either.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
rebecca06261
DIS Pirate Wench

Location: Living in Fantasy Land on most days but sleeping in Spring Hill, FL

A couple of weeks ago, Inbev announced that they were no longer interested in selling the entertainment division of Busch (atleast not at this time.) I'm looking for the article and will post it as soon as I find it.
rebecca06261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daber View Post
Since Inbev is a European company, I don't believe the SEC has any jurisdiction over what they do or don't do. In the grand scheme of all things Disney, I'm not sure if buying two parks would be "big" enough, but I'm sure they would do it just for the PR and to keep their name in the public eye.

I'm not sure about Inbev, but Disney is under SEC jurisdiction. Don't get me wrong, I DOUBT that it would be blocked... there is clearly no monopoly in American Theme Parks... but I am pretty sure under SOX rules Disney has to announce it pretty fast. But yeah, as I'm sure it won't happen...moot point.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca06261 View Post
A couple of weeks ago, Inbev announced that they were no longer interested in selling the entertainment division of Busch (atleast not at this time.) I'm looking for the article and will post it as soon as I find it.
Actually, a couple of weeks ago, Anheuser-Busch InBev (as the combined company is now named) announced that it would issue $3 billion worth of long-term debt. That led to speculation that there would be less pressure to sell Busch Entertainment quickly. Here' an example:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/bus...ks-ebbing.html

However, A-B InBev still wants to sell non-core assets to retire some of their massive debt.

I don't think anyone will come up with a link to an article in which A-B InBev announces that "they were no longer interested in selling the entertainment division of Busch (at least not at this time)."
Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by daber View Post

Yes. Anheuser-Busch InBev is based in Brussels, Belgium. Their stock is listed on the Brussels Exchange. But that doesn't mean they're immune from disclosure laws. My understanding is that European disclosure laws tend to be more stringent than U.S. laws. A-B InBev publishes disclosures on the web as press releases at http://www.ab-inbev.com/go/media/glo...s_releases.cfm

The "past tense" name of this thread, "Disney purchased Busch Gardens," is wrong. That doesn't mean that Disney and A-B InBev could not have had some discussions. There could still be discussions in progress. There might even be a transaction between the two companies one of these days. But if it happens, it will quickly be disclosed to appropriate government entities and the business press. It won't be a secret known only to a manager at Busch Gardens Williamsburg who is unable to keep a secret.

I don't expect Disney to acquire any Busch Entertainment assets. If Disney wants a third major presence in the United States, Disney would be better off starting with a few thousand acres of empty land. Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Disney would be much better off simply by maintaining and improving the parks they already have---
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
I don't expect Disney to acquire any Busch Entertainment assets. If Disney wants a third major presence in the United States, Disney would be better off starting with a few thousand acres of empty land. Of course, I could be wrong.
Wrong on whether they do it or not? Yes, we could all be wrong on that.

Wrong on their best approach is starting with a few thousand acres of empty land... Personally I think you are right on the money with that assessment.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
Disney would be much better off simply by maintaining and improving the parks they already have---
Boy, did you say a mouthful! They really need to continue updating and expanding the parks they have. WDW is getting so crowded, and they need to branch out to more attractions to cut down on those ridiculous wait times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: