Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #121
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locodanny View Post
Wow! It's nice to be missed! MAJOR apologies for the delay. Both Evinrude and I have been busy catching up on our lives post-Disney and are slowly but surely starting to get around to writing out reviews.

Unfortunately, this post is almost a cruel joke - I have nothing yet to offer. But I PROMISE it's coming soon. I promise!
Glad you guys made it home safely.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #122
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Calling all DUDES..where are you DUDES?

Aint it just like a man to promise something and then make us ladies wait!
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #123
Ciciwoowoo
we would both run like heck to get home before the ghosts got us!

Signing up to hear things from a Man's (or Men's) point of view!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #124
mermaid&cinderella
DIS Veteran

I can't wait to read your review! We go back in september and are eating at alot of teh same places!

2014 - POFQ - March break fun
2014 - BCV & AKL - Princess Half Marathon
2013 - offsite
2013 - ASMu - for Marathon Weekend - running Goofy, rather Dopey
2012 (May) - sailing on DREAM
2012 - ASSp - running Expedition Everest Challenge
2012 - ASMo - ran Princess Half Marathon
2011 - offsite - ran Wine & Dine Half Marathon
2011 - Hilton - ran Princess Half Marathon
2010 - offsite but in FL for a whole month
2009 - CBR - Not as good as POLY but still fun
2008 - POLY - Loved it
2007 - POLY - Loved it
2006 - POLY - DD's first time princess
1980 - offsite - Wow long time ago
mermaid&cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #125
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Yay, they're alive!

As you boys can see, the natives are restless!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #126
maiziezoe
DIS Veteran

Old 06-30-2009, 05:03 AM   #127
MuppetGuySF
Earning My Ears

Yak & Yeti Lunch

Let the Reviews Begin!!!

So, our first meal was at Yak & Yeti. My flight got in at 6:15 AM and I had arrived at Animal Kingdom for rope drop. (BTW, I had done online check-in, and when I arrived at AKL around 7 AM, our room was ready which was awesome!!!) Langbein's flight wasn't arriving until 11-something, so we decided to make a later lunch ADR just to make sure he had enough time to arrive. So our reservation was at 2 PM, but Langbein got there in plenty of time (enough time for us to take our first trip into Everest, thanks to a clever Fast Pass system Evinrude devised that morning), and we were hungry, so we showed up at 1:28 PM and checked in outside. I explained we had a reservation, the woman up front gave us a little card with our name on it and told us to bring it inside. In a matter of minutes (to be specific: 3) the hostess was taking us to our seat. She told us we were going to the Green Room. She said that was a good thing because it had the best air-conditioning. Fantastic! Woohoo! Our server was Nicole from Queens, NY and she was awesome. She came over and explained the Deluxe Dining Plan to us (it was, after all, our first meal on the plan...but definitely wouldn't be the last time we heard this explanation) and explained how it worked. She quickly brought us a couple of diet cokes (vital in the always-humid Animal Kingdom). We examined the menu for a bit and then when she returned we asked a few questions and ordered.

For an appetizer, Langbein ordered the Pork Pot Stickers, seared.

Potstickers were awesome. Delicious, juicy, full of pork-y goodness. I couldn't have asked for a better first bite of Dis-food. My only complaint: there were only five! Evinrude and I shared (as we did throughout the trip) by trying each other's dishes, and this was one that I was sad to give up even just one 'sticker. But fair is fair, right? He gets a potsticker, I get a lettuce cup. And we all come out happier on the other side...

I got the lettuce cups. I had asked Nicole if she thought they were good, and she told me that if I liked 'em at PF Changs I'd like these. I do, so I ordered them.

I actually thought they tasted nothing like the lettuce wraps at PF Changs. The lettuce wraps at PF Changs are a little sweet, with like a plum sauce. These were very, very savory. I liked them a lot...I wouldn't quite say I LOVED them, but I did really like them. I especially liked that there was a lot to assemble. Gotta love having a reason to play with your food. There was carrots, sprouts, sauce, cilantro (which I didn't have because I can't stand cilantro), the chicken mix, and the lettuce. I really enjoyed creating each wrap. Like a sculptor, creating a fine work of art. Well, actually it was nothing like that...more like throwing a bunch of food in lettuce, but I thought the sculpting reference gave the review some panache. I think if I went back I would try a different appetizer, but they were good. And by the way, my over-elation in this picture is not really a great representation of how I felt about the lettuce wraps. I mean, I liked them, but, c'mon, it looks like I just won the lotto...they weren't THAT good. (And, not for nothing, but the way my shirt is, I look strangely lumpy...I'm really not so lumpy...oh, vanity...)

For entrees, Langbein ordered the Steak & Shrimp w/jasmine rice, stir fried veggies and a chili plum dipping sauce.

This was a fairly quality entree. The steak was cooked to a nice medium-rare, as I ordered it, and the veggies were crisp and tasty. A few complaints: the shrimp were soggy. Sure, fried shrimp are amazing... even when soggy. But the potential for amazing beyond belief was there, and the sogginess totally brought the quality down. The white rice was totally unnecessary.(I thought the way the beef was wrapped around the rice was very cool...definitely earned some presentation points.) I didn't even touch it (as you can see).

The plum sauce was fine, but not really necessary, either - the steak was already pretty flavorful.

I had the Baby Back Ribs. It was described as Slow-roasted ribs, hoisin BBQ sauce, chicken fried rice and sweet chili slaw. I'm not a slaw fan, so Nicole was happy to substitute stir fried veggies for the sweet chili slaw.

I really LOVED the ribs. They were delicious; great flavor. The meat was falling off the bone and they were not fatty. The rice was just average, but I borrowed some of Langbein's chili plum sauce and poured it on the rice and Ta-Da! the rice was awesome. I, as you can see, did a MUCH better job cleaning my plate.

For dessert we both ordered the fried wontons (skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey vanilla drizzle)

This was good, but way too sweet. There was just too much cream cheese, and the honey vanilla drizzle added to the sweetness. I'm not one to leave leftovers on dessert, but I definitely left some over here. The fresh pineapple was the best part! Probably wouldn't order this again. HUGE portion, like everything else at every other restaurant - easily enough to share if we hadn't been on "the plan."

Too sweet? Is there really such a thing?!?!? I really loved this dish. This is mine. Doesn't it look better than Langbein's?

I don't usually love warm cream cheese in anything, but this was just amazing. It was very rich, but I was a trooper and finished the whole thing. I would DEFINITELY order that again. The portion is really quite generous as you can see. This is a little bit of a recurring theme of our dining experience. As appetizers and desserts go, around the World, the portions seem to be designed to be shared. Nice big portions. Not that I'm complaining...I'm really not!

The service overall was excellent. Lots and lots of refills on the soda (very important!), but this also proved to be true consistently throughout our trip. Our server was really nice and very affable. I would definitely eat at Yak & Yeti again. (BTW, the only time it rained on our trip was while we were eating at Yak & Yeti. The rain had stopped by the time we got out.)

I also think the service was pretty excellent. Nicole was friendly and helpful. Sodas were always brimming with bubbly goodness. I was VERY full by the end of this meal, and beginning to question whether we'd be able to live up to our promised "if we can order it, we will... and eat it!" mantra that we had posted on the boards before we left. The first few days were a bit rough for me, as you'll read in coming posts, but I persevered... and came out stronger (and heavier) on the other side!

Evinrude mentioned the rain during this meal. I was bummed that this was the only rain we'd see the whole trip. Don't get me wrong - I wasn't looking forward to daily thunderstorms, as was predicted, but I love me some afternoon sunshowers. And nothing like a few quick bolts of lightning and some thunder. Puts you right in that Florida mood.
(I, for one, hate rain....anywhere....and was quite thrilled we avoided it!) Instead we just got hot, sticky, humid weather all week (thank goodness for baby powder...ok, maybe a little TMI, but whatever) - rain would have been some nice reprieves from it! But that's neither here nor there. We're here for the food... and there's a LOT more coming!
MuppetGuySF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #128
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

Really enjoyed your first review. We're big fans of the deluxe plan, and will be eating at some of the same restaurants as you, on our September trip.

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Sept 2007 - POFQ/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2008 - AKL/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2009 - SSR/BWI/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2011 - BC/Royal Pacific/CR
Sept 2012 - BC/Royal Pacific
May 2013 - WL/Royal pacific
Sept 2013 - Royal Pacific
iluvpluto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #129
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

I love it already! I can't wait to get back to Yak & Yeti, we loved it! And I keep saying I have to get something other than the ribs but now after the review...I'm craving them again. They were so good!

The potstickers were also fabulous but I think I want to try the lettuce cups next time. The fried green beans are a MUST for me. I also found the wontons too sweet and only ate the pineapple! Maybe I'll try the mango pie next time...hmmmm!

Great start so far guys!

Last edited by disneygirlinnj; 06-30-2009 at 08:15 AM.
disneygirlinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #131
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Great start, wishing I could squeeze Y&Y into our October plans!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #132
ljcrochet
DIS Veteran

Great review! Can't wait to read the rest.
ljcrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #133
livinlife25
DIS Veteran

Great review! Thanks for updating your title!! I had quit checking back

April 2014- Pop Century
Jan 2013- POR
Sep 2009- AKL
2 visits in 1990's- OKW
livinlife25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #134
kabuki
It's free if you pass out in the DITCH!
I don't think Brenda has seen this to "pimp" me out yet

Love your reviews so far!
Also happy to see that you got in early -like we do and the online check in
was a great help. After a long flight it would be great if we had the same luck and our room was ready!

Can't wait for more!
kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #135
disneymom2twins
As my nephew says...."Chip and Dip"

Thanks for taking the time to review for us! Looking forward to more!

Twin 7 yr old DDs
who are officially obsessed with Disney!
WDW - '80, '82, '86, '89, '92, '93, '95, '98, '00, '03 '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11
DL - '04, '10

Next trip:
Disney World - October 2012
disneymom2twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: