Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
DDuckVols
Earning My Ears

How old to go to Disney ?????

My wife and I are expecting our first child in about a month. We can't wait to take him to Disneyworld !! We went last September for the first time since we were kids and we absolutely loved it. My wife knew how great it was going to be, but I must admit I was a little skeptical. Not anymore. I had an absolute blast and I can't wait to go back. Anyway.....When did some of you guys take your children to Disney for the first time. With hindsight being 20/20 when do you wish you would have taken them? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!!!
DDuckVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
brendaziz
DIS Veteran

Well- my oldest we waited a whoppin 10 months b4 taking a trip w/ him! :-)
then w/ my 2nd- we did a trip when he was about 5 months.
I'm pregnant w/ my 3rd right now and we're going in August- so he'll be about 2 or 3 months when we go.
But he's my 3rd and babies get easier the more you have- cuz you realize that the big ones are the hard ones! `

I totally understand wanting to wait til kids are a little older- but for me- Disney is the EASIEST place to vacation w/ a baby. Everything is tailored to people w/ kids and seeing even a 1 year old's face light up on a ride is SO much fun!

I think the longest I would ever want to wait is when a child is 2 or 3- but that's just me, cuz I'm obsessed and I want my kids to be obsessed to!

With your first, I wouldn't even begin planning a trip until baby is at least a few months and you know their personality a little bit :-) But I think that just newly toddling age (1-2) is a great time for a first trip!

My just turned 5 year old is getting ready for his 6th trip and my almost 3 year old will be going on his 4th trip.

Now that I read that, it all seems kinda over the top!
caribbean beach resort (1 x)
boardwalk (2 x-including a Disneymoon!)
boardwalk villas (1 x)
ak lodge (2 xs)
wilderness lodge (2 xs)
fw campgrounds (3 xs)
grand floridian (1 x)
pop century (3 xs)
FW cabins (1 x)

Me, DH, DS6, DS4, & DS1
brendaziz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
maxie
Thanks so much for the tips
We are getting a Disney fix of some kind!!

My youngest was 3 months.
maxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
BrightScouter
Dis Veteran

Our youngest son was with us in a tent at Ft. Wilderness when he was 6 months old. I would say that anytime they are out of diapers, they are old enough. so many attractions are built for very young children, you can start them early. too many people seem to want to wait until they are "old enough to remember it" Many times, they wait too long and they are too "mature" (cool) to allow themselves to admit they enjoy it. My son doesn't remember much we did on that trip when he was three, but he does remember some.

Bright Scouter
BrightScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
littleelvis
DIS Veteran

We have been taking all of our kids since they were 2/3. We didin't take the our younges when he was a baby but that was our choice. People have always said "why do you take your kids a 2 or 3 they won't remember it" I will 100% disagree with that. My son is almost 4 and still talks about the rides and what he went on. We are going back Feb 10 and can't wait.

You never too young to be taken to Disney.
DD (8)
DS (6)

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejardo de las puertas.
littleelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Ava
DIS Veteran

DDuck, my partner and I are in the same boat as you - our first DD was just born on April 30th and we've been plotting her first trip to WDW since before she was born! Haha. We've decided to take her for the first time just before she turns 3. That way she will be old enough to do a good portion of the rides, but she'll still get in and eat for free. If someone else wants to foot the bill we'll take her earlier, but if we are paying we want to wait until she's old enough to do more. We live in NY so to go to WDW is a good week-long vacation for us.

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
And planning for Sept 2014!
Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

I'm probably unusual, but we waited until the kids were 4. DDs first trip will be in December and we have been 2 times without her since she was born. This allowed DS, who is now 12, to enjoy Disney without having to keep the schedule of a small child. And to her a week at Grandma's was almost as good as Disney.
So do what works best for your family.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside

Up next: Wilderness Lodge

Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
devinfl
Mouseketeer

I took my son on his first trip when he was just over 1, just a day trip he had fun.
At almost 2 we went back and he had a blast (stayed 5 days)
At almost 3 we went back and he had even more fun (5 day trip)
now this year he will be almost 4 and I swear bringing him just gets more fun every year.
they will have fun at WDW no matter what age they are but every age is a different expierence.
Last year my son was big enough for Kali and that was so exciting to him, this year he is 41" so he will be riding ALOT more rides, both of us are so excited for that!
11-09 off property
2-10 back to CBR!
09-10 going to CBR again
11-10 off property
devinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
DDuckVols
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava View Post
DDuck, my partner and I are in the same boat as you - our first DD was just born on April 30th and we've been plotting her first trip to WDW since before she was born! Haha. We've decided to take her for the first time just before she turns 3. That way she will be old enough to do a good portion of the rides, but she'll still get in and eat for free. If someone else wants to foot the bill we'll take her earlier, but if we are paying we want to wait until she's old enough to do more. We live in NY so to go to WDW is a good week-long vacation for us.
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Hope everything is going well. We are thinking about taking him when he is 3-4 yrs old, but I could definitely be talked into taking him earlier.
DDuckVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
kidneygirl
Mouseketeer

My ds was 4 weeks old when we took him Disney. I strapped him into the carrier (Beko Butterfly) and wore him the whole time. He did great!!
kidneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDuckVols View Post
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Hope everything is going well. We are thinking about taking him when he is 3-4 yrs old, but I could definitely be talked into taking him earlier.
Thank you! She is doing wonderfully. Congratulations on your good news too! I went to WDW for the first time when I was 3, so for some reason I feel like that's a good age. We're going to try for just prior to DDs 3rd birthday because having her get into the parks for free and eat for free is just too appealing.

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
And planning for Sept 2014!
Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Mine was 4...and I have no regrets. It was an absolute BLAST. She remembers the trip entirely, rode alot and WALKED without a stroller, diaper bag ,sling etc. and she was POTTY trained.I know lots of people take brand new babies and infants and that is a personal decision..But I decided it wasn't a vacation for ME or DH if we had to lug a nursery with us.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
pdarrah
It's nice to know you are real, too
It might have fallen off or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneygirl View Post
My ds was 4 weeks old when we took him Disney. I strapped him into the carrier (Beko Butterfly) and wore him the whole time. He did great!!
Wow! You beat us by 2 weeks. Our DS was 6 weeks for his 1st trip (had he been on time, he would have been 8 weeks.) That was by far the EASIEST trip we have had with him. He has been to WDW about 2 times per year ever since and is now 10 years old. Of course, when you go with an infant, the trip isn't really for them - it is a treat for mom & dad! Part of what got me through a really bad delivery & recovery (24 hrs labor followed by emergency c-section ) was knowing that I would be going to WDW soon!

We certainly didn't try to do a "commando" style trip with an infant (or even with a toddler) but we all had fun and as someone else has said in this thread - Disney is one of the easiest places to vacation with a baby.

pdarrah
We usually visit 2 times per year (spring & fall)
DCL: Magic cruises: Oct 04, Oct 05, Jan 07, Aug 08, Oct 10, Fantasy Nov 12

pdarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Tina G
Mouseketeer

Our daughter was 5 years old on our first trip. I should also mention that it was the first trip for DH and I as well. I think it depends on a few things. If you personally love Disney, then you will probably want to take your child earlier. Just keep in mind that any trip before the age of 3 or so, the child will really have no memory of it. They'll get to experience it and have a great time, but they won't remember much afterwards other than seeing photos.

We waited until age 5 because we wanted to not deal with strollers, diapers, etc. Also, we considered it to be a very special trip and we wanted our daughter to really get a lot out of it and be able to experience pretty much everything.

I'm sure most go well before age 5 and now that DH and I have been there several times and have really enjoyed it, I'm sure we would go sooner if we did it again. However I know we would not have taken her before age 2-3. I guess it just depends on whether you are planning to make it a yearly-type regular vacation or a special every few years vacation. I like the comment about taking them just before they turn 3 so they are still free but are older and able to experience more of the attractions.
Tina G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

We just came back with our 2 year old. She was just over 2 when we went. It was PERFECT. She had a blast! I am so glad we went when we did.

We took her to Universal last year when she was about 10 months old. It was fine but she had so much more fun being 2.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: