Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #1381
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Good Morning Biggest Losers and Happy Friday.

Sorry I have been away for a while, but I had a major problem. My younger sister tried to commit suicide last week. My DH found her and called the paramedics. She was admitted to the mental health section of the hospital and got some counseling. They released her and she has already started seeing a counselor. She has just had too much going on in her life over the past 6 months and it all came to a head when she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She is doing so much better now and we have high hopes that things will be better in the future.

So here is the questions this morning. It's not really weight related, but more life related.

What is the one thing that you can do to show your family how much you care about them? My sister didn't reach out for help; so be aware of your family and friends and try to pickup on the little clues that they give -- I wish I had.

Let's go losers -- let's have a great weekend and a good next week.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #1382
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Wow! to you disney1990 and thank you for coaching for part of this week in spite of all that is going on in your life! I am so sorry to hear about your sister and glad that things are improving. You know your Dis friends are all here to help you when you need it.

THANK YOU, too, princessbride6205, for being our coach last week!

What is the one thing that you can do to show your family how much you care about them?

Since this is a philosophical QOTD, my initial answer will be philosophical, too. I think that the one thing that I can do to show my family how much I care about them is to take time to take care of myself so I am there for them when they need me. That and communication, listening and talking and even just touching base during our busy day.

I am happy to say that I had a 2 lb loss this week so am within 2 lbs of getting my 15 lb ribbon back. I really want to get that back before the end of this challenge!

Have a great, OP day, all!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #1383
mikamah
DIS Veteran

Wow, the thread has been busy this week. It's so great to see everyone doing so well. I only have a few minutes, as I'm trying to get packed for camping this weekend. Keeping an eye on tropical storm bill, in hopes he doesn't turn west and hit us in new england. We going to old orchard beach in maine. Pjlla- I thought of you and your trip there, and am going to remember how well you did with all the challenging foods there. We always get Pier fries, but I've packed my mikes berry lemonades, and I'm going to limit the fries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
Thursday QOTD: Today's is a 2-parter, since I think it's my last day (correct me if I'm wrong, Lisa!). If you were in Disney right now, what resort would you be staying at? And back to reality what are you going to do to stay on plan today?

!
thanks so much princessbride for coaching this week. You had some really fun questions.
If I was there right now, I'd love to stay at wilderness lodge, or a cabin at fort wilderness, and take the boats over to mk. As for yesterday, I did journal all my food this week, and did fair in the eating dept, over points, but not as bad as if I hadn't journalled, and am down 1 pound. I will be cutting up a bunch of fruit to take camping today, and though I won't be journalling for the next 2 weeks while I'm on vaca, I am planning to be aware of what I am eating, and be active with my son. I'm hoping for a maintain. We are taking 3 short trips, so I'll try and check in here when we're home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post

Sorry I have been away for a while, but I had a major problem. My younger sister tried to commit suicide last week. My DH found her and called the paramedics. She was admitted to the mental health section of the hospital and got some counseling. They released her and she has already started seeing a counselor. She has just had too much going on in her life over the past 6 months and it all came to a head when she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She is doing so much better now and we have high hopes that things will be better in the future.

So here is the questions this morning. It's not really weight related, but more life related.

What is the one thing that you can do to show your family how much you care about them? My sister didn't reach out for help; so be aware of your family and friends and try to pickup on the little clues that they give -- I wish I had.

Disney1990, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I'm glad she is doing well, and I'll be sending prayers and good thoughts to give you both strength as you move through this difficult time.

In answer to today's question I would say I try to keep in touch, and be available if anyone wants to talk. This is an emotional question for me, because since we lost our mom in june, my siblings, and I are all dealing differently, and coming from a family who didn't discuss feelings very much, it's been difficult, and some days I feel very alone in my pain, and I think my family as a whole doesn't like to talk about difficult things, and so we don't. We will be vacationing next wed-sun with one of my bros and sisters, so I think that will be helpful. I think calling, and letting my family know the I am here for them is how I show them I care. As for my son, spending time with him, and sharing my feelings with him is real important, and I think I do that pretty well. He's so cute, and when I'm feeling down, and missing my mom, he'll remind me that she's right here, in our hearts with us. Amazing how profound kids can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
What is the one thing that you can do to show your family how much you care about them?

Since this is a philosophical QOTD, my initial answer will be philosophical, too. I think that the one thing that I can do to show my family how much I care about them is to take time to take care of myself so I am there for them when they need me. That and communication, listening and talking and even just touching base during our busy day.

I am happy to say that I had a 2 lb loss this week so am within 2 lbs of getting my 15 lb ribbon back. I really want to get that back before the end of this challenge!

Have a great, OP day, all!
LIsa, I like that answer of taking care of ourselves. It is so true, and I know when I am healthier, I am so much more there for my son. Congrats on your loss!!!! I bet you'll have that ribbon by the end of this challenge.

Hope you all have a great day, and weekend!!

FEB 2014-Princesspalooza!!! Can not wait!!!
Feb 2011-Princess half marathon trip!!!
Aug 2010-michael's surprise trip!!!
Nov '09-Pop w/Jim,Beth & Taylor!!!
Jan '09 Pop-just Michael and Mom
April '08- Pop-w/ Jane + Jessa
Dec 06- ASMusic-Michael's 1st time/5th B-day/Xmas trip w/ cousin Taylor etc.
May 2000- ecpot during work conference
April 1996-ASSp-family trip
Oct 1991- CBR-my first trip
mikamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #1384
FLAngie
DIS Veteran

Hugs to you Disney1990. I hope things start looking brighter for your younger sister and your family.

Way to go lisah0711 for being so close to your goal!

I didn't lose anything this week but I guess I didn't gain either Dh keeps telling me to hide the scale and not to weigh myself for a month. That way I won't get too discouraged.

I make sure that I spend quality time with them each day. With the girls I remove all distractions and just spend time talking with them individually. Dh works from home so we usually have time to spend at lunch talking over our day, plans, etc.

DH DD12 DD10

Offical Member of the LMT Losers' Club... Uu
FLAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #1385
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Disney1990 - I'm sorry to hear about your sister's struggles. It sounds like she's now on the right path to emotional recovery. Hugs to you and your family!

QOTD: What is the one thing that you can do to show your family how much you care about them?
Communication and hugs are generally how I show my care and support.
For DD: Months ago I had read an article about how to make your child's day. All of the options were cheap or free, emphasizing how important just playing together and connecting is. On weekdays especially I try to make special time - between getting ready to get out the door in the morning, then work, then getting dinner on the table, and a short amount of time before bedtime...not a lot of room for play together. So I try to do at least one fun thing each day that is beyond our normal routine. Like last night, we played outside in the rain.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #1386
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

I forgot to mention my weigh in. I had a small loss, but I'll take it! I'm down 0.6 pounds. This is all I was hoping for this crazy week.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #1387
sskem96
DIS Veteran

Thursday QOTD: If I was at Disney right now, I think I'd be at BCV sitting in the shade reading a book and watching the kids in the pool. To stay on track today, I'm going to eat lots of fruit and make sure I take some with me to my daughter's softball game so I'm not tempted by the concession stand!

Friday QOTD: I show my family I care about them by thanking them for doing everyday things (like last night I thanked my husband for doing the dishes and changing the litter boxes even though those are his normal chores that he's responsible for anyway). I give my girls lots of hugs and tell them I love them several times a day.

I'm off to the mall to meet my mom for some shopping. I just ate a late breakfast so if she wants to go out for lunch I'll be able to get something very light. I know we'll probably go out for dinner tonight, which will likely be pizza, so I'm trying to use fewer points this morning so I'll have plenty left for dinner.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #1388
sahbushka
DIS Veteran

To our leader this week . I am glad to hear your sister is getting the help she needs!

I had a loss this week so I am happy!

DH is having a phone interview for a job right now. He just had to tell them about the Disney trip in september...I hope that won't make them not hire him!

I went to work this morning and immediately threw out my back! I am on the couch right now and I need help to get up and go to the bathroom and all that. We were supposed to go to our county fair today but there is no way I will be able to go. DS will get to go with my mom though.

Later,
Sarah

sahbushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #1389
LuvBaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="blue"]Good Morning Biggest Losers and Happy Friday.

I hope everything works out for your sister. Thanks for being coach, especially when your life sounds very stressful right now.

With the kids its easy, just hug them and make time for playing. With DH its easier to fall into the trap of taking each other for granted, and I am trying to make fun time for him and I. For extended family, its really just staying in contact. I have one aunt that is horrible for reaching out, and I am guilty of not calling her often as she doesn't initiate and she doesn't return calls and then complains that she is left out of things , but I have to remember to keep trying.

I did my weigh in this morning, and I was really hoping for a small loss, because all I needed was 0.1pound loss to get my 25pound clippie, and I really thought I did good this week, but it was a 1.1pound gain Oh well, all I can do is continue to do good, and trying to kick it up a notch.

Sarah - hope your back feels better soon.

for all the losers, gainers and maintainers!

LuvBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #1390
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Shannon - I had a one pound gain the week after I was the BL too! Sometimes our bodies just want to bounce back, I guess. You're right, though, stay on track and you'll get your clippie soon!

OT: Got an e-mail from DVC that we are now in the system. EEE!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #1391
LuvBaloo
DIS Veteran

congrats on getting into DVC!

And thanks for the reminder that sometimes a big loss, ends up with a small gain right after.

LuvBaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #1392
lisah0711
her Disney office

to you, Sarah, I hope that your back feels better today. Someone is sending you a message to relax and take care of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
Shannon - I had a one pound gain the week after I was the BL too! Sometimes our bodies just want to bounce back, I guess. You're right, though, stay on track and you'll get your clippie soon!

OT: Got an e-mail from DVC that we are now in the system. EEE!!!
OT: Welcome home! What is your home resort? Oh, and beware, once you become a DVC member, you are suceptible to a little thing called "add-on-itis." We really love our DVC and I am sure you will, too.

Shannon, I am sure that you will be headed back in the right direction in no time!

Thanks for the encouraging words, FLAngie, it is good to get those mini-goals met as they are the path to the main goal!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #1393
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Thank you everybody for the good wishes for my sister. She actually made it back to work for 2 1/2 days this week. Hopefully, being back at work will perk her up (she loves her job.)

LISA0711 - Congrats on the 2 lbs loss. I know you will be happy to get your 15 lb ribbon back. It's coming soon.

Mikamah - I hope you had fun camping this weekend and that you stayed dry.

Sarah - Hope your back is feeling better.

FLAngie - It's always better to stay the same than to gain.

Princessbride6205 - Playing in the rain was always one of our favorite things to do. We still do it when we go to Disney.

Sskem96 - Eating at the mall is one of my downfalls. I can hear Annie's Pretzels calling my name.

sahbushka - I've got my fingers crossed for your DH. Being out of work since Feb, I know what he is going through. Hopefully, things will get better soon.

LuvBaloo - I know you'll get your clippie back soon.

So here's today's question - What one thing do you like to eat when you want something sweet that is fairly good for you, but still fills that "sweet" spot?

Mine would be sliced apples with a small amount of caramel sauce.

I hope that everybody has a great weekend!

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #1394
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

Disney1990 - I'm glad your sister is doing better. It sounds like she's going through a lot. Thank goodness she's getting the help she needs now.

QOTD- What one thing do you like to eat when you want something sweet that is fairly good for you, but still fills that "sweet" spot?

I'm going to share the BEST recipe. This is So good, but not too sweet! It is not exactly low calorie, but it is very satifying. The recipe claims to serve 4, but I like to have more smaller servings and find that 6 or 8 is more reasonable, so that is what I've calculated the nutrition for:

Tofu Chocolate Mousse

From "The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook" by Tosca Reno

3/4 dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate bars, broken into pieces
12 oz light silken tofu* at room temperature, drained
1/2 cup warmed skim milk or soy, rice or almond milk
1 tsp best-quality vanilla

raspberries for garnish (optional)

*You MUST use silken tofu for this recipe. Regular or light both work fine, but light creates a smoother texture.

Preparation

1. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler in the microwave. Make sure to let the chocolate melt slowly. Stir until chocolate is uniformly smooth

2. In a food processor or blender, combine tofu, melted chocolate, warmed milk and vanilla. Process until smooth. If there are still white pieces, you can place the mixture in a fine-mesh strainer or sieve,pushing through with the back of a wooden spoon into medium decorative bowl or ladle into individual serving bowls. Chill and serve. Garnish with raspberries (optional but good!).

Nutrition Facts
8 Servings

Calories 126.8
Total Fat 7.4 g
Saturated Fat 4.6 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0.8 mg
Sodium 44.3 mg
Potassium 23.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 3.3 g

It boils down to 3 points per small serving, but I think I actually lose better when I have this!

Last edited by corinnak; 08-22-2009 at 10:47 AM.
corinnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #1395
lisah0711
her Disney office

Yum, corinnak, that recipe sounds delicious. I will definitely try it when before school starts. I might make it and not tell my family that it is tofu.

So here's today's question - What one thing do you like to eat when you want something sweet that is fairly good for you, but still fills that "sweet" spot?

I don't know if this qualifies as "fairly good for you" but it does fill the sweet spot without doing too much damage, sugar free popsicles, only 15 calories a piece!

Have a great day all!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: