Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #751
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Whew! All caught up again. I think you plans sound great. With Goofy's Barnstomer though, there is a height restrcition, which I think is 36 inches. Claire was just about there when we went when she was two. Some CM's let her ride it and some didn't. Good thing she had the nice CM who measure her at 36 the first night and she rode it 3 times in a row. The next day the CM that measured her said she was just under and wouldn't let her.

I went to the Mall of America last summer. It was so cool. I loved it. I swear there is like 3 Victoria's Secrets there. LOL! I actually met up with a girl I know from another board (parenting) and we had a nice visit and spent several hours together shopping. It was like we knew each other for ever. Claire did Libby Lu and just thought she was a Princess. I hope to go again some day. It is huge though. But by the end of the day, I was pretty sure how to navigate most of it and I never lost my way to my car. LOL!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #752
IluvXU
DIS Veteran

You have to take that sweet boy on the Donald Boatride at EPCOT--- that is my fondest memory of Emily last summer at 2, saying where is donald hands out the entire time-- so sweet!

So many fun things on your list....
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #753
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
hey Brooke, I'm loving your PTR as much as your TR. I'm so inspired by how you guys just take it easy, and go with the flow. I'm determined to do just that on our upcoming trip in Oct. It will be the first "going on rides" trip for our toddler. In fact i'm so gald you posted a must do list, I've gotten a lot of ideas for park touring from it.

You asked for opinions on Flights of Wonder in AK. It is a must do for my husband every trip. The show is really cute, and they bring out lots of cool birds that do tricks or little conditioned behaviors they've worked into the script. If Henry likes birds and/or animal shows I think he'll like it. I'm pretty sure mine will like it, if not his dad will be crushed.

~bree~
Hi there!!!! Glad to hear you are enjoying the PTR. I really like doing one, it helps me dump my thoughts into one place and get invaluable advice!

I am very glad my list helps you! I'll report back on how Henry reacts on the iffy things - at 16 months he cried on MANY rides, so hopefully that has changed. Touring at a more relaxed pace and just going with the flow is very helpful with a toddler-just having that mindset alone makes your day more magical in case they decide to meltdown, or don't like any of the rides, etc. The only day I worry about is our MK day - there is SO much for a little one to do, and I want to get to it all - I have to remember, it truly only matters to ME, not to Henry! There will be a time when hitting certain rides matters to him, but at this point - not so much! Plus, we are going back to MK on our last morning and possibly on one other night to hit up rides....so hopefully between all the time, we will get most of that list accomplished and still be at a relaxed pace.

That is great to hear about Flights of Wonder! I think Henry would like this, he loves animals and points out the birds in the sky. I hope your little one will like it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
What a list! At least you know that you will return soon to get to the things you missed!!

The Flights of Wonders is really a neat show. It is amazing to see all these different birds. The show is a bit cheesy, but I found it highly amusing. It's definitely something I would love to do again, so worth a visit! It is an open air theater, I don't know how much shadow there is. But don't sit in the back, the birds fly very close over the heads of those sitting all the way to the back!!

If you never did the animal trails at AK, you really must try to do them, they are beautiful! I think they are one of the reasons why I love AK so much. They are actually nothing different from a zoo, but they are themed so cleverly that you think you are actually in a nature park in Africa or Asia. Incredible!!
Thank you for this advice on Flights of Wonder! I didn't think about it being open air - if the sun is shining straight in, Joe will be miserable due to his eye condition and being so sensitive to light. Something I will keep in mind. Also, great advice on the back rows!

We have never done the animal trails-I've seen so many beautiful pictures from them on TRs I REALLY want to do them! The themeing looks amazing and I can only imagine how intensified it is when you are actually there. The bats from everyone's reports have kinda caught me...they are really cute and interesting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessily View Post
We really enjoyed Flights of Wonder on our last trip. It's not a must do every trip for us, but we definitely enjoy seeing it every few years!
Another thumbs up for Flights of Wonder! Thank you! I think I'll still aim for the FOTLK show since we haven't seen it, but if we have time for a 2nd show, we'll go for Flights of Wonder since we have seen Nemo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvfigment View Post
A great list Brook for the rides! It's funny how when a trip is coming up soon how everything you think about is Disney! I am the same way with the lists and writing down on anything I can. I can't believe your trip is coming up so soon! It is too cute that Henry knows the train and Riverboat are at Mickey's House. How is your foot doing?
Oh yes, he knows that riverboat is t Mickey's! He points it out and says "Mahee!"...he also points at the cruise boat!

My foot is doing alright....not as great as I was hoping, but certainly better than it was! It's still swollen, but the other day the swelling was down quite a bit and I could actually see my ankle bone again!

37 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Can I make a suggestion for 3d shows? I don't know it'll work with your plans but I'll offer my 2 cents.

I hate 3d shows. At 24 I refuse to do It's Tough to be a Bug & Honey I Shrunk the Audience. I love Philharmagic & Muppets though, they're a lot more friendly. I'd definitely start with Philharmagic or Muppets (Philharmagic is a little more friendly IMO.)
This is very good advice! I cannot recall what our first 3D show was last year...we skipped It's Tough to Be a Bug because I screamed during it on our first trip! I think starting with Philharmagic-characters he recognizes would be the best bet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Oh yes, a little boy's paradise!

Definitely a must-see for me!!

Henry will adore this!

We've seen it twice... nice, "B-list" show, IMHO. Afterwards the CMs let you come to the stage and meet some of the birds, so you may like that.

Of course!

We're really, really looking forward to this, too!

Billy doesn't "do" fire, either, so we sit in the upper back section. I think the overall view is actually better from here, plus, they show close-up video on a big screen just like at concerts.

He doesn't have to wear the glasses if he doesn't want to...

Gotta see Dut-Dut... and maybe you will meet him outside!!

I hear ya!!

You and Billy both!! I'm sure we'll be seeing it multiple times!

It's such a relaxing ride... perfect for mid-afternoon!

Yay Pooh-Bear!!

Gotta do the choo-choo!

**Just be warned... there is a dark, loud, potentially scary part when the Tiki gods get angry... thunder and lightning and yelling...

I can, too!

Great list! It's so much fun to dream about the trip, isn't it?

Kathy
More great advice! That is a very good idea about sitting in the back sections for LMA. We usually go straight to the front because otherwise Joe can't see it very well due to his eye condition, but he already told me that he would sit in the back, because he has seen it and knows what to expect and will just catch what he can. Plus...it may be shaded back there, right? Oh, I am excited about this idea! I think Henry is going to be WIDE-EYED at all the cars racing! He'll be reenacting it in his bed that night with this car toys.

And VERY GOOD to know about the Tiki Room. If Henry is seeming skittish this trip still, we'll skip this.

I laughed at your comment on the Hall of Presidents. I'm glad Billy is still excited about it despite the changes! I know I'm going to be a complete basket case during the whole thing, just the preview clips you had on your TR made me cry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I'd think Henry would like the Backlot tour. It has boats, planes, cars and a truck in catastrophe canyon.

Your lists look great!
Oooooh, you are soooooo right! I forgot about the props! He will really like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Love the rides list! I know what you mean about making lists of everything -- I always seem to be doing that!
It's so fun to dream, isn't it? And really, as I tell Joe, the more I refine the list, the better-because little problems with The Plan do pop up, so if I didn't make all the lists and doodles, we would run into so many snags! See, it's a trip planning requirement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
Great list!! It looks like you have a very do able plan !
Thanks!! I sure hope so. The MK day makes me a bit nervous, but even if we miss some things, it will be alright - we'll just be sure to get those in December!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Flights of Wonder is an interesting show. I like to see it once during each vacation if only to get a glimpse of the Bald Eagle--so majestic and beautiful.
Ooooh, I bet seeing the Bald Eagle up close is beautiful! We have a LOT of them in Minnesota (especially down by my Mom's), but you never see them up close, only up in trees or flying around - which is still beautiful, but it would be amazing to see one closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparop View Post
When traveling with a toddler/preschooler, I think these lists are invaluable. When you are working with a short list of must dos it really helps you prioritize before the next meltdown comes. Plus, you know you accomplished everything you wanted and there is always another trip to hit the rest!
Exactly! Henry is a pretty chill kid, BUT, as 2 creeps closer and closer, his opinion is becoming more and more well known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Whew! All caught up again. I think you plans sound great. With Goofy's Barnstomer though, there is a height restrcition, which I think is 36 inches. Claire was just about there when we went when she was two. Some CM's let her ride it and some didn't. Good thing she had the nice CM who measure her at 36 the first night and she rode it 3 times in a row. The next day the CM that measured her said she was just under and wouldn't let her.

I went to the Mall of America last summer. It was so cool. I loved it. I swear there is like 3 Victoria's Secrets there. LOL! I actually met up with a girl I know from another board (parenting) and we had a nice visit and spent several hours together shopping. It was like we knew each other for ever. Claire did Libby Lu and just thought she was a Princess. I hope to go again some day. It is huge though. But by the end of the day, I was pretty sure how to navigate most of it and I never lost my way to my car. LOL!
I think Barnstormer is 35 inches...I think I read that on AllEars...gotta check.

Yep, 35! I am pretty sure Henry is at 35 inches right now, or VERY close and will hopefully squeak up a bit before September. He's been growing like a weed lately! I'll make sure he wears "tall shoes" that day.

That's right! I remember now about you mentioning your Mall of America trip and Claire doing Libby Lu! Did they have the big American Girl store/restaurant at that time too? I can only imagine how excited little girls are to experience all that.

I OFTEN forget where I parked my car there, you are better than I am! Thankfully Joe is like a compass. I totally don't pay attention to those things anymore and just follow him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvXU View Post
You have to take that sweet boy on the Donald Boatride at EPCOT--- that is my fondest memory of Emily last summer at 2, saying where is donald hands out the entire time-- so sweet!

So many fun things on your list....
Oh my goodness!!! I can just picture her doing that. So stinkin' cute. Yes, this is a MUST DO with his love for the duck!!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #754
jessily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Another thumbs up for Flights of Wonder! Thank you! I think I'll still aim for the FOTLK show since we haven't seen it, but if we have time for a 2nd show, we'll go for Flights of Wonder since we have seen Nemo.
You've got the right priorities there FOTLK is far and away my favorite show in Disney World. You will LOVE it.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #755
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Love your comment re "as 2 creeps in his opinions are becoming more known..." How true that is! DS was almost 3 our first trip and we didn't do any 3Ds. He did love Barnstormer though.

Lists are a mother's survival guide aren't they? Has Henry voiced any favs he wants to do?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #756
ClaireW
Mouseketeer

As a fellow mum to a nearly 2 year old I know exactly what you mean about voicing their opinions. But I think your healthy attitude towards prioritising what you'd all like to do and then just going with the flow should help you avoid some of those toddler meltdowns. We're off the Disneyland Paris in a couple of months time and I think we'll be taking the same approach. I like how you've got ideas in mind, without having too many fixed plans - I think this will work for us too.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #757
TyRy
Part of the problem is I wear my shorts
It is making me nutty

Brook - you're not missing much on the Studios Backlot Tour. It used to be really great (or so we thought) but it seems like they have really shortened it over the years. It's now on our "we can skip" list.

Love the haunted mansion and I HATE haunted houses. DH wanted to go to Universal Fright Nights and I told him I hope he has a good time...I'll be at MNSSHP

And I know you've probably made up your mind, but if Henry's hair doesn't grow to long, my vote is too wait until the MK as well.
Mickey's Hand is Back in my Pocket - A Trippie for Sept/Oct 08 and 1st Trip Home to AKV
Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV
*A Giraffe Meets the Beach - Oct '10 BCV/AKV* *Oct '11 AKV/Poly *1st Birthday Trip and Disney Dream Cruise - Dec '11 AKV* *Oct '12 - 18 days! AKVJ, BWV, AKVK*
*Nov 2013 AKVJ* *Extra May 2014 Trip SSR*
Old 07-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #758
Normangirls
DIS Veteran

Whew. 51 pages in one weekend. I'm exhausted.

Love the trip report, though. Henry is a real cutie-patootie!

If you don't mind, I have one thing for you to look at. You mentioned possibly hitting DHS for EMH -- they have a dance party at Playhouse Disney (but only during EMH). We have never been, but it is number one on our list this year. We are very excited!

Thanks for letting me weigh in and join in your TR!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #759
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

How did I miss all your lists Brook!!!! Shame on me!!!

Okay I love your must dos...what a fantastic list!! I'm sure Henry is going to love a lot of the old and some of the new!! Boy is that cute little guy growing up!!!

And I promise you, the Haunted Mansion will be worth it...I so wish I could ride it with you...only the beginning is a bit freaky the rest of it...great fun and you will love it!!!!

I think Henry will love the boat ride in Mexico...there is a lot of Donald and he would have fun finding Donald throughout!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #760
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

WOW Brook! You're an updating fool!!! LOL!! Love the list....don't have time to comment on all of it, but noticed that Henry didn't like Figment last time...Cole LOVED it at 17 mos. so maybe he'll like it this time now that he's that much older? He just sat there in awww, it was cute. You are on countown lady...it's really sneaking up on you! Can't wait to see your countdown!!!! And I love the idea of letting Henry's hair grow for the haircut on Main Street, I would definately be doing that too if I were taking the boys!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #761
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Definitely take Henry on Gran Fiesta! He will love, love, love all the Dut dut!! We've been on it a bunch of times and it's always a walk on!

Your also definitely have to go on HM! It's one of my favorite rides! Probably 2nd on my list! I can see being a little freaked by it but it's just fantastic! View through the side of you that is in awe of all the things disney imagineering does! It's absolutely amazing! I get all geeked out thinking about it really! I remember riding it as a kid when my took my sisters and I (although I think I forgot to mention that in my PTR) and wondering how the heck they got the ghost in the car with you at the end~

Great list! I'm also a big list writer! I just started my lists for Jan!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #762
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Good gravy is that a list!! Seriously, it's great to have all this stuff written down because sometimes there are so many things to keep up with and even if you're rolling with the punches, it's easy to overlook a must do - especially with a toddler.

I seriously just learned something from reading your TR! I never knew about the Gran Fiesta ride! I'm embarrassed to say when we walked around World Showcase last year, we strolled around the exterior and never really went inside too many of the places - this is now on my to do list!!

I can't believe you are in the 30's!! YAHOO!! We're both getting close now!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #763
pmama
DIS Veteran

Hopping over to hear all about your upcoming trips. Sounds so exciting! September and December. Can't wait really to hear how your December trip goes with the heavy crowds. I'm sure going with the right expectations you will have a terrific time. I would love to see the NYE fireworks too. Plus, if you all have just been there in September you won't probably feel the need to see and do "everything". We are stopping back by the MK on the Sunday before Christmas after our cruise and I'm a little nervous about the crowds but want to see the Christmas fireworks and parade. I've read some of the same TRs as you but somehow always missed yours. Your name always stuck out to me as we share the same first name!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #764
shebaxric
Disaholic Since 1980!!!

Love the ride lists. I'm going to be working on mine this week with my sister and her BF, both have never been! It's going to be so exciting!

I really enjoy the Flights of Wonder show, but I love all animals! If you're not an animal fan, some of them get kinda close. Also, you should definitely try to get on the animal trails, there is so much to see and do!

Hurray for the 30's! It'll be here before you know it!!
Old 07-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #765
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Wow, I had a lot to catch up on - that will teach me to miss a few days of DISing!!

I LOVE that you make lists, I'm a big list maker too and DH always gives me grief about it, so it's good to see that I'm not alone! I've got one going right now for dining options and I've been trying to get DH to look at menu's and give me some input but he's totally not interested - he doesn't understand that I only have about a month & a half before I need to make our ADRs!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: