Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #136
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I'm just like you. Not big on the waterparks in general. I'm not into slides at all. Once years ago I did one really big one and swore I would fly out the sides the whole way doen, and then when I got down I opened my eyes to find my DD Paige, who was probalby about 5 or 6 at the time. She went down before me and had strict instructions to stand at the end and wait for me. She wasn't in site and I sttod up with my suit falling off and fixed it as I tried to rush and find her and trip over the side and scraped both knees so badly. I had major blood dripping down both legs and Paige was still not in site. She had taekn off and went to another part of the park to the kids area. Why she did this, I'll neer know, but we were frantically looking for her for quite some time and I was cryuing from losing her and from the pain too I think. Once we found her I realized how bad my knees were nad had to go to the first aid. And hten I was embarrassed too. LOL! So I pretty much only do Lazy River type stuff or something in a raft anymore. LOL!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #137
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

When Henry is older you will have to try Typhoon Lagoon -- I am not a big water park person, but it is so neat and beautifully themed (like everything at Disney)!

Tube of Death --

Joe looks so excited about his farm set -- boys and their toys!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #138
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

I can' wait to hear about H and is Hot Date

2014 (July) Contemporary -Concierge (Bay Lake View) 2013 (July) POR - 2012 (December) Contemporary -2012 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View), 2011 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),2010 (July) Contemporary (MK View), 2010- (March) All-Star Music, 2009- Contemporary (MK View),2008- Port Orleans Riverside (July),2007- Port Orleans Riverside (May & December),2006 - All-Star Music (July),2004 - All-Star Music (May),2000 - Travelodge Maingate (April),1991 - Rodeway (On intl' drive),1987- Quality Inn,1985 - Sheraton
Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #139
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Brook, you know I am loving the zebra-print patio furniture!
I love those, too - and they would be great for AKL!!

I am happy that I could help you with your decision! Before you go out and buy the 2009 Unofficial Guide, you might want to wait for the 2010 edition. I think the new edition generally comes out in August. That way you have the most up to date book for your vacation.

I love water slides, but I can understand your problem with them. I don't like the very fast ones where you move up the sides a lot either. I actually thought that the slides at the Disney waterparks were rather tame. And you are right, Typhoon Lagoon has the Crush'n Gusher which is a roller coaster slide. It is a lot of fun!! But make sure your raft has enough air in it. We once used a flat one and that was not good, because we actually touched the slide with our bottoms. Very uncomfortable!!!

The pizza you had sounds intriguing! pasta on pizza...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #140
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Sounds like a really fun time... you were braver than I would've been!!

Love the toy farm gift, too!

Kathy
Old 05-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #141
Vexorg
Princess Wanted

Quote:
Yeah, wait until you see what the toys start to look like when Henry (and whatever brothers might join him along the way) grows up...

My Blog: http://thesledgehammer.wordpress.com - The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Old 05-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #142
Kara
Mouseketeer

i'm so glad I found your PTR!! I loved reading about your last trip and looking forward to another! do you like smugmug better than photobucket?
Old 05-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #143
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Brook,
Your description at the waterpark was hysterical!!! I remember going to Typhoon Lagoon as a teenager and doing the "tube of death" and my entire bathing suit being up my behind! And people call this fun?!! No thank you....lol!! And I had to laugh when you said that the lifeguards were expecting a 6 year old girl coming off the slide when you came down....that would be me too!!!

Love Joe's gifts...too funny!!!! Can't wait for more.....
Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #144
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Phew. I am caught up! It's hard work getting caught up on subscriptions.

Tube of Death! That is how I feel about water slides, they really freak me out. I get all breathless on them and then the plunge into water...bah. Not fun.

The room looks awesome! I love the light fixture too!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #145
k_reile
Slowly converting my son into a Disney lover!

though of you last night...have you seen the yoplait light commercials...i swear that woman looks just like you!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #146
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Love the update of the Dells. The Kalahari looks great!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #147
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I was going to quote you, but I can't find the text when I tried.
I caught the last page, and then I backtracked, and backtracked and backtracked to the beginning.
I was wondering why it took 5 hours to get to the Dells and then I remember, duh, it take us an hour to get to the Dells and 5 more to get to MN.
I can't wait to find out what the 2nd hotel was,
I wish I would of read this sooner, so I could of warned ya~~
but "maybe" you lucked out.

You should come back in the summer, when the outdoor water parks open at the resorts, "twice the fun".
Old 06-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #148
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Tube of Death

I actually love water slides, well all of them except the really tall ones that drop you straight down, I tried one of those once and that was one time too many!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #149
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazydoxy66 View Post
I saw no lameness!

The room is fab! It sounds like you had a terrific time at the water park.
That pizza is exactly what my DH would go for.
The room truly was beautiful! We were really pleased with it. The pizza was unique and tasty. The kids got a kick out of eating spaghetti on the pizza too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorg View Post
Ah, a fellow pillow snob. I don't care much for fluffy hotel pillows myself, since it seems like I need to use at least 2 or 3 of the things to feel like they're actually doing anything. These days if I can possibly get away with it I'll just smuggle in my own pillows. I sleep a lot better that way.

As for waterslides, It's been years since I've been on one, but our family used to go to a campground called Cherry Hill in Kaysville Utah for our vacations which included waterslides on site, and later grew to include a downhill river run, lazy river and "pirate's cove" place on site, as well as mini golf, batting cages, video arcades (that's where I ended up spending most of my time) and other attractions. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the big steep drop type slides, but the other ones I could ride all day. They really aren't as scary as they look.
These hotel pillows were not the type to cave in-but they just stayed round when you laid on them. So, it was almost like you were sitting up! Well, not quite sitting up-but you get my drift. That is a great idea about bringing our own pillow too-esp when you are driving.

That campground sounds like a blast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I'm just like you. Not big on the waterparks in general. I'm not into slides at all. Once years ago I did one really big one and swore I would fly out the sides the whole way doen, and then when I got down I opened my eyes to find my DD Paige, who was probalby about 5 or 6 at the time. She went down before me and had strict instructions to stand at the end and wait for me. She wasn't in site and I sttod up with my suit falling off and fixed it as I tried to rush and find her and trip over the side and scraped both knees so badly. I had major blood dripping down both legs and Paige was still not in site. She had taekn off and went to another part of the park to the kids area. Why she did this, I'll neer know, but we were frantically looking for her for quite some time and I was cryuing from losing her and from the pain too I think. Once we found her I realized how bad my knees were nad had to go to the first aid. And hten I was embarrassed too. LOL! So I pretty much only do Lazy River type stuff or something in a raft anymore. LOL!
Oh my! What an awful experience. I can see why you stick to the Lazy River! I am a big fan of the Lazy River. The one at the Kalahari had a bit of "adventure" to it as well-it flowed through the wave pool. I have no idea how they made all the tubes still go through the wave pool when the waves were on, but it worked! There were a few water sprays and things too, it was so creative.

Quote:
When Henry is older you will have to try Typhoon Lagoon -- I am not a big water park person, but it is so neat and beautifully themed (like everything at Disney)!

Tube of Death --

Joe will LOVE Typhoon Lagoon. And my Aunt, who has been to Disney a few times, cannot believe we haven't ever been there. It was her ultimate favorite thing at Disney. So-we'll definetly have to go at some point. I'll enjoy the theming and take pictures while the boys hit the slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopArtGal View Post
I can' wait to hear about H and is Hot Date
She is a cutie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I love those, too - and they would be great for AKL!!

I am happy that I could help you with your decision! Before you go out and buy the 2009 Unofficial Guide, you might want to wait for the 2010 edition. I think the new edition generally comes out in August. That way you have the most up to date book for your vacation.

I love water slides, but I can understand your problem with them. I don't like the very fast ones where you move up the sides a lot either. I actually thought that the slides at the Disney waterparks were rather tame. And you are right, Typhoon Lagoon has the Crush'n Gusher which is a roller coaster slide. It is a lot of fun!! But make sure your raft has enough air in it. We once used a flat one and that was not good, because we actually touched the slide with our bottoms. Very uncomfortable!!!

The pizza you had sounds intriguing! pasta on pizza...
The zebra print chairs would be PERFECT for AKL. The theming overall was beautiful, and many of the pieces could easily swap between the resorts.

Too late on the Unoffcial Guide! We went to a bookstore over the weekend and I snatched it up! But, that's OK because then I can start reading/planning now. Thank you again for that awesome tip-I've already registered on TouringPlans.com and starting plugging stuff in.

I am VERY glad to hear Disney slides are tame! Someday I know we'll go, so with that in mind I won't have to be as nervous. That is AWFUL about your raft! OUCH!

The spaghetti on the pizza was very tasty. I would even consider trying to make it from home. If I ever started cooking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Sounds like a really fun time... you were braver than I would've been!!

Love the toy farm gift, too!

Kathy
Henry has pulled out the farm toys almost every single day. "Cow" "Cow" "Trak, trak". It's so fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorg View Post
Yeah, wait until you see what the toys start to look like when Henry (and whatever brothers might join him along the way) grows up...
No joke! If he has taste like Joe we are all going to have to get a couple jobs to support their "hobbies". (Thankfully for Joe, I'm a bit of a techy geek as well-so he often gets what he wants!)
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #150
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
i'm so glad I found your PTR!! I loved reading about your last trip and looking forward to another! do you like smugmug better than photobucket?
Welcome!!!! So glad you made it over here, thank you for reading. I am loving' SmugMug. At first I was "eh" about it, but then I configured my layout a bit different. I have over 600 thumbnails that load on one page-and it loads quickly. Then I click into the picture I want, simply copy and then paste right here onto the DIS. Slick and fast. Page loads are super quick! I also found a 50% off code via Google for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Brook,
Your description at the waterpark was hysterical!!! I remember going to Typhoon Lagoon as a teenager and doing the "tube of death" and my entire bathing suit being up my behind! And people call this fun?!! No thank you....lol!! And I had to laugh when you said that the lifeguards were expecting a 6 year old girl coming off the slide when you came down....that would be me too!!!

Love Joe's gifts...too funny!!!! Can't wait for more.....
Thankfully my Tube of Death didn't cause those issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Phew. I am caught up! It's hard work getting caught up on subscriptions.

Tube of Death! That is how I feel about water slides, they really freak me out. I get all breathless on them and then the plunge into water...bah. Not fun.

The room looks awesome! I love the light fixture too!
Going to Disney makes it hard to keep caught up on those subscriptions, doesn't it? SO WORTH IT THOUGH! For some reason, my RSS subscriptions to your Twitter just gave me a few new ones-two from when you were about to leave saying you were so ready to go home. I hope that doesn't mean some rough stuff happened at the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_reile View Post
though of you last night...have you seen the yoplait light commercials...i swear that woman looks just like you!
I have seen some recent Yopliat Light commercials, but I didn't really notice...now I'll be watching for them! We are watching HGTV, so the chances are high...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Love the update of the Dells. The Kalahari looks great!
It really was a beautiful resort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
I was going to quote you, but I can't find the text when I tried.
I caught the last page, and then I backtracked, and backtracked and backtracked to the beginning.
I was wondering why it took 5 hours to get to the Dells and then I remember, duh, it take us an hour to get to the Dells and 5 more to get to MN.
I can't wait to find out what the 2nd hotel was,
I wish I would of read this sooner, so I could of warned ya~~
but "maybe" you lucked out.

You should come back in the summer, when the outdoor water parks open at the resorts, "twice the fun".
Our 2nd hotel was a good one (I had researched that one), but our 3rd was a bit...um...skeevy? Is that word? More on that later!

The Kalahari outdoor park opened our second day, we were all amazed! But, we all felt it was still a bit chilly for it. During the summer would be really nice to enjoy it all, plus it would thin out some of the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Tube of Death

I actually love water slides, well all of them except the really tall ones that drop you straight down, I tried one of those once and that was one time too many!
Ya, NO WAY would I do those speed slides. When I was a teenager I did them alllll and loved them alllll. I don't know when it all changed, but I can barely do a kiddy slide now!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: