Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #286
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KeepMovingForward* View Post
Here's a link to BriarRosie's Jiko Wine Dinner from last year:
http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=101
Even better!!

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #287
TeresaWen
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the last few posts. Just the info I was looking for.

Teresa
TeresaWen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #288
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KeepMovingForward* View Post
Here's a link to BriarRosie's Jiko Wine Dinner from last year:
http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=101
The Jiko Wine Dinner BriarRosie attended is not a Food and Wine Festival event. This is a regular event held every month at Jiko. Most likely there will be one held the first Thursday in October and the first Thursday in November but you would be able to book those now - you would not have to wait for the festival events to open for booking as these are not festival events. There are no guest chefs and the Jiko chefs put it on themselves - although there will be a guest vintner.

If you are looking for a review of a food & wine festival signature meal at Jiko, see

http://allears.net/tp/ep/fw07/fw07_ii.htm

Note this was a lunch, not a dinner. It is also the same guest chef who will be appearing in 2009 according to the Examiner info.

I liked the Bluezoo dinner very much and will go again if it's held while I'm there - of course that may be because it would be the only one that fit my dates.

This has photos of the Bluezoo signature plus a second Jiko wine dinner (the ones that aren't a Festival event)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....hlight=bluezoo

Last edited by TDC Nala; 07-05-2009 at 09:18 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #289
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

As long as we are looking for reviews....

It has been a while since I did a Food & Wine Pairing at the F&W Festival. Last two I did were at Le Cellier. Are there any reviews out there for the same thing but at San Angel Inn, Tutto Italia or Restaurant Marrakesh? (I found a great review on the pairing at Tutto Italia from 2007 over on AllEarsNet, by the way.) It is possible that some of these are new to the Festival this year too.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #290
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

San Angel will apparently be new this year, so you will not find any reviews of that one.

I am pretty sure Brenda had some photo reviews of Coral Reef - which is no longer offered.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #291
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
San Angel will apparently be new this year, so you will not find any reviews of that one.

I am pretty sure Brenda had some photo reviews of Coral Reef - which is no longer offered.
Thanks for the info... I had searched and searched to no avail but figured if anyone would know it would be on here, and probably you!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #292
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I'm considering attending our first wine/signature dinner for the festival in November. What should I know? We go to the "signature restaurants" regularly at WDW, but never something special like this.

Lori, Brenda, etc., advice? Suggestions?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #293
NejTheLion
Jellyfish Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I'm considering attending our first wine/signature dinner for the festival in November. What should I know? We go to the "signature restaurants" regularly at WDW, but never something special like this.

If you typically dine at the signature restaurants, I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy a F&W Festival Signature Dinner. It's hard to tell you exactly what to expect as there's no guarantee that they'll follow what's been done in the past. Last year, there were only 2 Signature Dinners for the whole festival, and they were scheduled the same week. One was the Victoria & Albert's Signature Dinner, which I wouldn't use as an example for most. It's typically more expensive than the other Signature Dinners. The other was Bluezoo, and I already shared my opinion of that, though it seems TDC Nala felt differently. So, definitely varied opinions out there.

For all that I've experienced in the past, the dinner usually begins with some kind of reception. At Jiko in years prior, there was a private room off the lobby of the lodge where wine (a nice Mulderbosch rose) and canapes were passed around. Bluezoo had wine and canapes passed around at the front of the restaurant around the bar. V&A had a selection of wines that were served in the lobby outside the restaurant.

Then you move on to the actual dinner. For V&A and Bluezoo last year, the dinner took up the entire restaurant. At others, the dinner was smaller and held in a private room at the restaurant. I'd say that will vary depending on the location - whether it's a large group filling the restaurant or a smaller group in a private room.

Usually a (minimum) 5-course dinner. Some will serve an amuse bouche or extra appetizer or a palate cleanser later in the meal, but at least 5 courses (sized appropriately for a multi-course tasting dinner).

It's also usually a combination of chefs - from the actual Disney restaurant and a guest chef. They may divide up the courses - one works on the first course, the other does the second, etc. They may also work jointly on some of the courses.

Each course is brought out and paired with a wine, usually from the featured vintner for the dinner. The chefs will present the course, and the vintner will present the wine and tell you a bit about it. We've thoroughly enjoyed every one we've ever attended (with one exception). As I said, if you enjoy the signature restaurants, I think you would love attending one of these dinners.

And for some more info on the V&A dinner for this year, I've heard that it will probably be an Italian-themed dinner (I'm guessing because of whoever the guest chef or vintner will be). Can't wait to see what V&A does with Italian!

Next Trip: Dec. 29, 2012 to Jan. 1, 2013 - New Year's Eve @ WDW

Only took 83 nights with DCL to become Platinum*1st Panama Canal Cruise 2005*1st Mediterranean Cruise 2007*1st Baltic Cruise 2010*Podcast Cruise 2.0*Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic 2011*Podcast Cruise 3.0*DIS Unplugged ABD London/Paris 2012

Last edited by NejTheLion; 07-05-2009 at 06:16 PM.
NejTheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #294
redzinner
Mantenga la sal, por favor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NejTheLion View Post
And for some more info on the V&A dinner for this year, I've heard that it will probably be an Italian-themed dinner (I'm guessing because of whoever the guest chef or vintner will be). Can't wait to see what V&A does with Italian!
I have tried to book the V&A dinner and the California Grill dinner (when they did it) without any success. This year I will try again for V&A but mentally I am having a difficult time 'digesting' the cost of $375 per person for one fun evening of food and wine. Since I have never attended the V&A Signature dinner, only their dining room I need some help here. Can anyone that has attended tell me in their words why, how it is worth the price Disney puts on this dinner? Are the wines that special? Is the food that exotic? Or do you just do it and don't worry about value for the money?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #295
NejTheLion
Jellyfish Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzinner View Post
I have tried to book the V&A dinner and the California Grill dinner (when they did it) without any success. This year I will try again for V&A but mentally I am having a difficult time 'digesting' the cost of $375 per person for one fun evening of food and wine. Since I have never attended the V&A Signature dinner, only their dining room I need some help here. Can anyone that has attended tell me in their words why, how it is worth the price Disney puts on this dinner? Are the wines that special? Is the food that exotic? Or do you just do it and don't worry about value for the money?
Well, it's certainly a personal decision, whether you feel ANY meal is worth that much money. If you don't, you don't - simple as that. Our feeling is that if we'll spend almost $200 per person for a regular meal at V&A or nearly $250 per person to dine at the Chef's Table, it isn't that much more for the Signature Dinner, which is a unique experience. And in those cases, that isn't counting tip, which we're pretty generous with. The price for the Signature Dinner includes tip, which brings the prices even closer.

How is it different from the regular dinner? Well, you have two executive chefs rather than one - Chef Scott and the guest chef for the dinner. We had Chef Zach Bell, who is the executive chef at one of Daniel Boulud's restaurants. You have a renowned vintner presenting their wines. Last year the vintner was from France's Chateau Pontet Canet, basically the vineyard next to Chateau Lafite Rothschild. Not quite the same, but we priced some of those wines at over $100 retail. Don't want to know what that would be priced in an actual restaurant. All those things on the regular menu that usually carry a supplemental charge? Well, you're getting things like that with your meal. And these are dishes specially created for the event, not things you're ever going to see on the menu otherwise.

Don't know if that helped answer your question or not. We had always been hesitant about the price, but we decided to go for it last year, and it was probably the most memorable experience we've ever had at the festival. For a once-a-year splurge, we'll do it!

If the price gives you heartburn, stick with the regular dinner. We've dined at 5-diamond restaurants across the country, and Victoria and Albert's is still my favorite. I can't remember a single dish that I didn't enjoy, and the service is always extraordinarily warm and exceptional. I consider it our little secret in the foodie world, as not that many foodies know about it if they aren't Disney fans as well.

I'll hunt to see if I can find photos from last year (don't think I ever got around to posting them). It was really a challenge to remember to take those photos before digging in!

Next Trip: Dec. 29, 2012 to Jan. 1, 2013 - New Year's Eve @ WDW

Only took 83 nights with DCL to become Platinum*1st Panama Canal Cruise 2005*1st Mediterranean Cruise 2007*1st Baltic Cruise 2010*Podcast Cruise 2.0*Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011*DIS Unplugged ABD Backstage Magic 2011*Podcast Cruise 3.0*DIS Unplugged ABD London/Paris 2012

Last edited by NejTheLion; 07-05-2009 at 09:39 PM.
NejTheLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #296
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post

I think NejTheLion did a fantastic job explaining what to expect at the Signature Dinner events. I've done two in recent years. One was at California Grill, in a private dining room, and the other was at Citrico's, where we took over the entire restaurant.

Both dinners started with the reception "hoover doovers" () and wine, and wine was served with each course. Usually the wine rep and the chef who prepared each course will discuss the food your eating, along with some info about the wine served with it. The dress you had on in that pic with Sean in a suit would go nicely at these events. I'm not sure how dressy people were at the "lunch" events, but for dinner, it's perfect.

And while I'm responding...

I am sorry if my Jiko Dinner review made people think it was part of the food and wine festival. I thought I stated in my review that it was not. However, the meal "felt" like it would fit into the festival.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #297
redzinner
Mantenga la sal, por favor!

Thanks for your insights, NejTheLion. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #298
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleLovesTheBeast View Post
I even tried restarting the computer. Apparently my Mac is pulling up the old page. Bizarre! However I did get it to pull up on my phone so I was able to view it there. Thanks for your offer!
No problem!

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5
DisneyCruiser83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #299
Jerry@dvcstore
DIS Veteran

DISboards Approved Advertiser

The Food and Wine Festival is the best EPCOT event all year. Looking forward to this years Music Line up and great Food.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #300
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

If you are interested in information on the Jiko Dinner Series (wine dinners first Thursday of every month) there is a page on the WDW website. You can't book them online though, you'd need to call.

During the Festival period there should be Jiko wine dinners held on October 1 and November 5. I think the cost is $160 and includes a gratuity (you can add more to the gratuity if you wish). These are not Festival events and can be booked now. You'd need to take note of the cancellation policies when you book.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/res...dinner-series/

Last edited by TDC Nala; 07-07-2009 at 11:40 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: